How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strootman's Finger

How about until we sell him our own fans don't boo our captain at home. fecking embarassing, and I am no Maguire fan.

nakpodiareuben

We don't have a problem selling him because I don't think the team will suffer in his absence. We already have better captain and players to replace him. The problem is his wages. So 3 scenero will play out:

1: He will have a good world cup and get interest from clubs.

2: He will have a mediocre world cup and return to the bench for us.

3: He will take a huge paycut and go back to smaller premier league teams.

I am hoping for the 1st scenero but my heart is telling me it will be the 3rd scenero. I don't think Maguire is suited for the big clubs...He lacks the pace when exposed

Lentwood

We don't have a problem selling him because I don't think the team will suffer in his absence. We already have better captain and players to replace him. The problem is his wages. So 3 scenero will play out:

1: He will have a good world cup and get interest from clubs.

2: He will have a mediocre world cup and return to the bench for us.

3: He will take a huge paycut and go back to smaller premier league teams.

I am hoping for the 1st scenero but my heart is telling me it will be the 3rd scenero. I don't think Maguire is suited for the big clubs...He lacks the pace when exposed
Maguire would be absolutely perfect for Tottenham or Newcastle and they both have aspirations for finishing top six. I don't think we'd have any issues at all selling him, if we decided that was best.

He's still a really good defender in my opinion. He's suffered at times at United from playing in a poor, badly-organised side which accentuated his weaknesses and left him exposed. When that happened game-after-game and the fans/media started to scrutinise his every step, it's no surprise his performances got even more jittery/nervy.

I'd be really interested to see how he got on playing a few games in a row under ETH and that might happen with Varane seemingly very injury prone. I still think he's a big role to play for the club but I accept some fans won't ever change their mind now and that being the case, I wouldn't be opposed to selling for £35/40m...which I think we'd have no trouble getting

RedOrange

One thing that factors in here is the unilateral improvement by every defender this season. So why wouldn't Harry improve too. Surely by now he sees that doing the work for this manager and fully buying in is the path to finding whatever game he has left.

Ten Hag is a wizard with the back line. A wizard I tell you. And please no bad hogwarts jokes.
A lot of supporters view Maguire as the lead antagonist of Manchester United now. They don't want to see him improve and play well, they want to continue hating him because it feels good.

He'll look a lot better when he's not caught between closing down a ball carrier in the channels and marking a forward making a run because the midfielders in front of him are completely out of position. He tried to deal with that last season by just closing down ball carriers and failing a whole lot (because no one is perfect at that), and clearly he hadn't kicked the habit by the start of this season (also McFred were both exactly as awful as last season for the first two matches). As we saw yesterday he's fine when the team is in possession.

captaincantona

I think Maguire, more than any other player, has become intrinsically linked in fans minds to a period of not just bad football, but completely calamitous un-United like performances.

there were plenty of underperformers over the past few years…not playing for the shirt or for the fans…and he was not the worst…but a combination of the fee and most of all…the captaincy…has turned the fans against him. If he were a 40€ million squad defender like Lindelof then I doubt anyone would boo him or focus on everymistake he makes…but the thought that he-was supposed to be the one we as fans and the other players looked to for inspiration…our leader. Well…you couldn’t really find a less suitable or capable candidate. One ofany Number of awful decisions made by this club…I’m really shocked to see ETH continue the ruse.

cyril C

Looked okay last night when he came, maybe this the turning point in his career? With Case-fkn-miro in front protecting him hopefully he does well until King Varane is back.
And playing on the right.

IMO most of Maguire's problem is mental. Was Vidic quick? How many times he was humilated by Suresh or Torres? Did he sink after every red card?

OK you are not too quick, slow in turning, so what? Work with the coaching team for a solution to compensate, and I don't think playing a high line can be that serious. Beside, why did he disappear on set piece? At the end of the day, it is Maguire himself mostly to deal with his mental, assisted by coaching team.

nakpodiareuben

A lot of supporters view Maguire as the lead antagonist of Manchester United now. They don't want to see him improve and play well, they want to continue hating him because it feels good.

He'll look a lot better when he's not caught between closing down a ball carrier in the channels and marking a forward making a run because the midfielders in front of him are completely out of position. He tried to deal with that last season by just closing down ball carriers and failing a whole lot (because no one is perfect at that), and clearly he hadn't kicked the habit by the start of this season (also McFred were both exactly as awful as last season for the first two matches). As we saw yesterday he's fine when the team is in possession.

The major and perhaps only problem with Maguire is lack of speed/pace. The way ETH wants to play, he will need his central defenders to cover for the wing backs when we lost possession as well as play very high on the opposition half. If you have defenders like Maguire, we will be slaughtered by counter attacking and high pressing teams.

nakpodiareuben

And playing on the right.

IMO most of Maguire's problem is mental. Was Vidic quick? How many times he was humilated by Suresh or Torres? Did he sink after every red card?

OK you are not too quick, slow in turning, so what? Work with the coaching team for a solution to compensate, and I don't think playing a high line can be that serious. Beside, why did he disappear on set piece? At the end of the day, it is Maguire himself mostly to deal with his mental, assisted by coaching team.

Vidic was not slow. We knew he struggled with strikers with lots of speed and Rio would always deal with such players and that kind of balanced the defence. The key thing is the way we setout to play. United wants to play high with overlapping or inverted wing backs. Maguire can't cope with that. If England play anything close to a high pressing team, Maguire will also be found out

ForlansHair

The main problem with Maguire (and indeed a few others in the squad) is that he is paid like an essential player when he now isn’t. We can’t have the squad filled with 3rd and 4th choice players collecting in excess of, say, £125k a week. If ETH thinks he can’t ever be good enough to be nailed on starter he needs to be moved on, as a far cheaper player can fulfill the same role (ideally a leftie to back up Martinez).

We’ll struggle to sell him though for the same reason, as those who could afford him and want him we’d probably refuse to sell to. It’s years of poor planning which is going to take a few years to fully unwind.

Boondog

I think Maguire, more than any other player, has become intrinsically linked in fans minds to a period of not just bad football, but completely calamitous un-United like performances.

there were plenty of underperformers over the past few years…not playing for the shirt or for the fans…and he was not the worst…but a combination of the fee and most of all…the captaincy…has turned the fans against him. If he were a 40€ million squad defender like Lindelof then I doubt anyone would boo him or focus on everymistake he makes…but the thought that he-was supposed to be the one we as fans and the other players looked to for inspiration…our leader. Well…you couldn’t really find a less suitable or capable candidate. One ofany Number of awful decisions made by this club…I’m really shocked to see ETH continue the ruse.
Do you think it's a ruse? I'm not so sure either way. It sort of feels like EtH has an ability to kick your ass and turn the page and expect you to turn it as well. Old school mentality there, reminds me of boot camp instructors back in the day.

But yeah maybe he's got a list of the ones he doesn't like and doesn't want around. He's only human.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
We have to be realistic about the price we get. Anything above 30 mil should be accepted.

cyril C

The main problem with Maguire (and indeed a few others in the squad) is that he is paid like an essential player when he now isn’t. We can’t have the squad filled with 3rd and 4th choice players collecting in excess of, say, £125k a week. If ETH thinks he can’t ever be good enough to be nailed on starter he needs to be moved on, as a far cheaper player can fulfill the same role (ideally a leftie to back up Martinez).

We’ll struggle to sell him though for the same reason, as those who could afford him and want him we’d probably refuse to sell to. It’s years of poor planning which is going to take a few years to fully unwind.
You make a lot of sense until the last sentence. Any Club that can afford him, willing to pay 60-80m, we will sell. Name 1 reason why we should refuse to sell? Offering 10m then perhaps we will hold fast.

Chief123

I'm so sick of this Maguire crap, i've never seen a guy get so many chances and screw it up each time. Also ETH and Southgate defending him and saying he'll get back to his best. No he won't.
The problem is even back to his best isn’t good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maguire shouldn't have been bought. He is simply too slow and ill equipped (ie positioning wise) to play at a top club that must play with a high line. To buy him on those fees was stupid, to make him captain immediately was border criminal. Such unfair decision broke him and it promoted a sense of entitlement which broke the dressing room.

There are thresholds that once passed there is no coming back. Jones, ole (manager) and Keane passed that threshold and so did maguire. At this point every mistake will be highlighted, every mistake will be scrutinised and every word said ridiculed. So the sooner he leaves the better for us all (including himself).

Red_toad

Maguire shouldn't have been bought. He is simply too slow and ill equipped (ie positioning wise) to play at a top club that must play with a high line. To buy him on those fees was stupid, to make him captain immediately was border criminal. Such unfair decision broke him and it promoted a sense of entitlement which broke the dressing room.

There are thresholds that once passed there is no coming back. Jones, ole (manager) and Keane passed that threshold and so did maguire. At this point every mistake will be highlighted, every mistake will be scrutinised and every word said ridiculed. So the sooner he leaves the better for us all (including himself).
Do you have a link to that information? Would love to see the quotes...

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
He'll be there to the end of his contract unless you let him go on a free. No team who can pay his £200k a week are touching him. Any club that would want him won't pay a fee and £200k a week.

InfiniteBoredom

He'll be there to the end of his contract unless you let him go on a free. No team who can pay his £200k a week are touching him. Any club that would want him won't pay a fee and £200k a week.
If he has a decent WC I can see a few clubs offering 20-25m for him, that’s essentially 40-45m transfer fee on another player getting paid 100k a week. Of course, theres also the resale value argument but you are getting a sure thing in terms of PL exp in return, and his injury record is pretty good if not excellent.

phelans shorts

How about until we sell him our own fans don't boo our captain at home. fecking embarassing, and I am no Maguire fan.
This simply didn’t happen.

Maguire is the latest, and probably is the worst example. Fellaini isn’t far off him in that regard though, the pelters he’d get regardless of how he played was also fecking awful.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Well there's more to the story I am afraid

First of all he's our captain. That arm band tend to attract a lot of attention and would put him in the spot light something Maguire is certainly not good handling. Secondly he's British which means that 90% of the local media expects United to play him irrespective on whether he's performing well or not.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I don’t like hating on players and I don’t in this occasion either.

But how is it possible that Maguire is still here 30 October in 2022 despite us knowing that ETH would coach this team since April??

It’s like asking Sean Dyche to work with a 5’2 striker.

This is not Maguires fault. He could be a valuable player for many teams. But he isn’t even remotely what is needed in ETH ball.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t like hating on players and I don’t in this occasion either.

But how is it possible that McGuire is still here 30 October in 2022 despite us knowing that ETH would coach this team since April??

It’s like asking Sean Dyche to work with a 5’2 striker.

This is not McGuires fault. He could be a valuable player for many teams. But he isn’t even remotely what is needed in ETH ball.
Who’s McGuire?

OneUnited24

He could be a valuable player for many teams. But he isn’t even remotely what is needed in ETH ball.
Pretty evident today. Looks timid when on the ball, misplaces simple passes and rarely gets long range passes right. Also for someone whos so tall he is so poor when trying to find someone with his head... To be fair it is his first start since injury so maybe i'm being harsh - i mean hes made some good blocks today

TheLittleOne

Playing well to be fair to him
??? you must be kidding
Pretty evident today. Looks timid when on the ball, misplaces simple passes and rarely gets long range passes right. Also for someone whos so tall he is so poor when trying to find someone with his head... To be fair it is his first start since injury so maybe i'm being harsh - i mean hes made some good blocks today
agree with everything these small misplaced simple passes put a lot of pressure on his teammates. I didnt mind he was starting today and Im happy he didnt get booed. But man, really dont think hes a good footballer at all. at least 10 small mistakes today that could have been costly or ruined our forward play.

cyberman

??? you must be kidding

agree with everything these small misplaced simple passes put a lot of pressure on his teammates. I didnt mind he was starting today and Im happy he didnt get booed. But man, really dont think hes a good footballer at all. at least 10 small mistakes today that could have been costly or ruined our forward play.
Just saved the win. Fantastic second half

OneUnited24

I don’t know who said it but when we get pegged back he comes into his own. He’s that typical 18 yard line CB. Unfortunately for him, and us, we want to play further up the pitch. He was exposed twice in the opening few minutes as he pushed up to win the ball and twice didn’t come out with it. It led to a chance. Still amazing block at the end

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Strange time to bump this thread, his block won us the game.

TheLittleOne

One of our best today.
Dalot, Shaw , Martinez were our best. I think Harry was very poor most of the game, but hey. How opinions can be so different is crazy. Bloody football :) fair enough im not gonna hate on him. We won with a great team effort thats whats important

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We learned nothing new today. Still a very good backs to the wall defender, and still a little cumbersome on the ball at times. Ultimately he played his part today.

Red-17

I think he was pretty poor on the ball, but he also had very poor passing options all game. Elanga may as well have not been on the pitch he was so invisible on the right wing. Maguire pretty much had either a square ball to Dalot/Martinez or a risky pass through the lines/long diagonal ball. There was almost no inbetween option with Elanga or when Fernandes went out right.

Agila Dathi

We should put him on those shows where he has to read bad tweets about him, he would retire from football if he knows how many Man Utd fans hate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.