How do you rate part 1 of the ETH rebuild?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ragnick said we needed 10 new players so far in ETH's first window in charge we've brought in 4 with a 5th all but done and over the last 2 games you can already see a massive change from the side regularly fielded by Solskjaer just 18 months ago. Injuries permitting we can probably expect this to be our first choice XI in the near future

-----------------De Gea-----------------
Dalot--Varane--Martinez--Malacia
---------------Casemiro---------------
----Fernandes------Eriksen----
Antony---------CF---------LW

No AWB, No Lindelof, No Maguire, No Shaw, No McFred. CF/LW to be contested between Martial/Rashford/Sancho/Ronaldo

Expect part 2 of the rebuild to involve a new GK, new RB, an undeniable new CF and probably another attempt to bring in FDJ

How do you rate things so far?

Sgreddevil

I think ETH has done a good job considering the limitations that he faced. The rebuild will be better if our recruitment team has more capability

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
To be determined. But hopeful.

To state the obvious, I think we're light up front and am not sure we have enough goals in the team. And I'm yet to be convinced the Fernandes/Eriksen midfield is a good fit, especially in a physical league.

Very early days but I like what I've seen from the new defence.

Joseunited

Rangnick said we needed 10 new players so far in ETH's first window in charge we've brought in 4 with a 5th all but done and over the last 2 games you can already see a massive change from the side regularly fielded by Solskjaer just 18 months ago. Injuries permitting we can probably expect this to be our first choice XI in the near future

-----------------De Gea-----------------
Dalot--Varane--Martinez--Malacia
---------------Casemiro---------------
----Fernandes------Eriksen----
Antony---------CF---------LW

No AWB, No Lindelof, No Maguire, No Shaw, No McFred. CF/LW to be contested between Martial/Rashford/Sancho/Ronaldo

Expect part 2 of the rebuild to involve a new GK, new RB, an undeniable new CF and probably another attempt to bring in FDJ

How do you rate things so far?
Sort out those 2 positions and that's a proper fecking football team.
I like the look of Matt O'Riley of Celtic as an option for the midfield.

Tarrou

pretty happy so far, we were never going to solve everything in this window

Maguire, Shaw and one of McFred are relegated to squad players already, which was needed

just a shame we couldn't get FDJ over the line as I think that could've had a transformative effect on our season

we're gonna be relying on some youngsters to help us out this season I reckon, especially in the forward areas

Crashoutcassius

On the pitch it has been disappointing. Don't think that is up for debate. Usual signs of new manager bounce effort and small changes.

Transfer business I think has been disappointing too. Overpaying for unproven or aging players who will be the next managers job to be rid of, not signing players for the club but instead for this manager. I understand why all of this is happening though - the panic of how bad last seaso. And our start to this season was.

Still think the top two people at the club are better than we have had since Gil and Ferg. Has to be a good thing over the coming 3 years

nickm

Cautiously optimistic. I am starting to like my team again. I think we have a top class manager who has a plan and the players are responding. Some very good signings so far but clearly not a perfect window - but get Antony and I think we’ll have done about as well as we could.

First two games were bad but the response to them has been smart. Solid platform is being built - learning how to win games again. Some lovely goals have been scored and hints of what the team might be capable of when fully developed, Maybe a bumpier start than I’d have liked but it’s going to be a season of ups and downs I think. But I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. We have the right manager for our future and I’m behind him.

Last edited:

Drz

I really like Martinez and Malacia. Eriksen too has been going about his business seamlessly.
Really curious to see how Casemiro does in his first full-game.
But the real challenge will be forging us into a cohesive unit, and doing so with the season started and in full swing, it's going to be a roller-coaster of a season for us.

I Am Zlatan

Exciting, but can’t really rate it yet, can’t really make a rational judgment until at least the second half of the season. I believe in ETH, and the players he bought seems like they will come good, but who know, we’ve seen so many ups and downs the past decade, kind of hard to tell.

nickm

Exciting, but can’t really rate it yet, can’t really make a rational judgment until at least the second half of the season. I believe in ETH, and the players he bought seems like they will come good, but who know, we’ve seen so many ups and downs the past decade, kind of hard to tell.
I think the two things that give me hope is I can see a team with an identity being built, and I can see something recognisably Red in the players we have signed. I am not sure I have seen that in years. Our defence is starting to look like a proper United defence again. Early days of course,

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
We signed defensively strong CM, one more CM, aggressive CB, about to sign left footed right winger. That's a good window.

Malacia surprised me, early days. Hopefully we will see more in build up play.

ti vu

I guess he can assess the players. It would have been better if he listened to RR. Could have be more proactive in the transfer window that way. We may have got more points, and have more money to spend (save money by buying early in the window)

nickm

I guess he can assess the players. It would have been better if he listened to RR. Could have be more proactive in the transfer window that way. We may have got more points, and have more money to spend (save money by buying early in the window)
Or maybe not. I think you have to accept a rebuild like this is going to be a bumpy and imperfect process. The intelligent way he’s been navigating and responding to those inevitable setbacks is really what matters here. And I think he’s been doing that well.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If you ignore how long it has all taken and other bits of context I think its been a very good window.

redshaw

Many thought we could avoid getting a CB and a LB but the CB pairing is perhaps the most important start to stop the rot and we see how far Liverpool slumped when they had their defenders out. There's a lot to fix and ultimately all positions are important but we can't do it all and I think getting a new CB pairing is the best move, we can't let Varane go to waste. We'd often concede the first goal or two and have to claw back games, it was unsustainable all the comebacks we had in 20-21.

Shaw has been too overweight and clumsy and couldn't be happier with the attitude and ability of Malacia, we'll see a lot more attacking skills soon.

I Am Zlatan

I think the two things that give me hope is I can see a team with an identity being built, and I can see something recognisably Red in the players we have signed. I am not sure I have seen that in years. Our defence is starting to look like a proper United defence again. Early days of course,
I agree with you! Even though the first two games were a mess, and even yesterday’s game wasn’t that special, but you can tell the difference and what’s being built compared to the last 5+ years, but like you said, early days, I’m cautiously optimistic! I just can’t fully be optimistic and get burnt with another false dawn.

ShinjiNinja26

I’m been more impressed with the type of characters we’re bringing in as well which has been equally if not more important. It will really help change the mentality of this squad. Martinez, Malacia and Casemiro all help to make us more solid and by signing Antony that will be 3 South Americans we’ve brought into the team and they always have that fiery personality. We’ve now got a spine with real fight and grit, for far too long now we’ve been a soft touch and that will no longer be the case with these additions. Gone are the days of teams turning up and bullying Utd which we’ve seen in recent seasons.

Varun

Staff
I love how he sweet talked the team and then went for the RKO out of nowhere just like Ralf said we should.

Really like the profile of players he's targeted, obviously adjusting for the clowns he's working with. We'll almost certainly get another CM, RB, GK and ST in by next summer which basically means an entirely new team.

Now to train these guys and get them performing

Giggsy13

A very good start so far. Along with the signings, which have been impressive, Ten Hag is showing his ability to take players deemed surplus by many and integrating them into his plans. We might start seeing the best of Martial and Rashford again, and Dalot’s rise and continued development may negate the need for a RB next season.

Von Mistelroum

It's a difficult one because he's had to deal with an incompetent recruitment team who have struggled to bring in the players he wanted and dragged their feet, as well as a group of players who were spoiled, lazy and resistant to change...and Ronaldo sulking and trying to leave.

Imagine if he could have come into a club where the infrastructure was in place to effectively bring players in, and even a team of scouts to help with recruiting new players to his specifications rather than having to identify them himself.

But given the straightjacket he's been put in, he's done very well to bring in the players he has, and crucially, to spot the problem players at the club and show them where the bench is.

I think the thing that makes me hopeful is that we now have a team where I actually like and want to root for some of the players! That's a huge deal when you're a fan of a team. Last season I would have been hard pressed to name two players I didn't dislike. Suddenly I'm finding myself getting behind the lads on the pitch on an individual level again and that feels great!

chris123

Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Shaw, Fred all turned into squad players in one window I'd say is a pretty successful one.

Chip

Wouldn't it make sense to wait until after the window shuts in a few days before rating the first part of his rebuild? And then maybe give the players a few games to get used to his tactics and to gel?

Trequarista10

Part one isn't even finished yet.

Of the signings we've made so far, they're all very good. Only potential criticism really is that the signings have largely been very Ajax/Dutch based, which isn't necessarily a problem but more broadly you'd hope to see signs that our management can identify players to suit ETH's desired style of play that aren't connected to Ajax or Holland. We can only speculate but the optics do kind of suggest that our scouting/recruitment network hasn't really pulled their weight and so ETH has just chosen players he knows well. That said, it may simply be something that will take some time to change, as our scouting/recruitment team adjust to ETH's criteria.

One thing missing this window so far is the arrival of a cheap, largely unknown, young gem from a less high profile league. Those sorts of signings are usually the most exciting and satisfying when the work, like Chicharito, Vidic, Da Silvas, Solskjaer etc. I'm hoping we see such a signing before the window closes.

ManRed

To early to say. Positives so far is his signings have played well and he is showing the courage to drop big players if they are not fit or performing.

The recruitment let him down big time as we have spent 100m (overspent 40m) on Antony and wasted valuable $$$ which could have gone towards a RB and GK.

Will Singh

I think by far the best window we’ve had in a long time, he’s addressed key areas were we needed to improve and we can already see the results. Although I’d love to bring in 10 players in one window it was never going to happen so the 1st half of the rebuild has to be 7/10. The players are exactly what we need, the downside is Eriksen and Casemiro are 30 so can’t say how long they’ll perform at top fight and the prices we’ve payed although I don’t give a feck as it’s going into the team but will mean when we go in for players in the future we will have to pay off the scale!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not yet convinced about quality or value for money as a standalone consideration.

He did need to bring players that will perform for him though, that's a necessary first step and the way it addresses Shaw, Maguire, our midfield and our forwards is outstanding.

I do hope we kick on from here and move beyond shopping at the Eredivisie or former charges playing elsewhere. Platform should be steady by next window.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
My only fear is that for some reason he doesn't turn out to be that progressive manager we all hoped, struggling to settle in the EPL. We have seen Ole playing some decent progressive football with Molde, Van Gaal Total football before as well and ETH dominate the Eredivise, but what do you expect with the biggest budget and the best academy (possibly in the world).

You can get away with play youngster here and there and develop him. Here you can see he's already safe with McTominay, but that will change with Casemiro and new reinforcements, just hope he doesn't go back into counterattacking football because he will not be able to tell the players to carry out his instructions. Few more losses and the pressure builds up. So just hope he is this dominant manager who will want his team play one way and doesn't back of like some previous managers.

adityaspatil

Three excellent signings.
Casemiro is world class. Erikson is again an excellent signing. He gives us lot of creativity in the final 3rd. Malacia is young & has lot of potential to become top class left back. Antony is very close to joining. He will definitely be an x factor. All in all 8/10 for this part 1 rebuild.

nickm

Not yet convinced about quality or value for money as a standalone consideration.

He did need to bring players that will perform for him though, that's a necessary first step and the way it addresses Shaw, Maguire, our midfield and our forwards is outstanding.

I do hope we kick on from here and move beyond shopping at the Eredivisie or former charges playing elsewhere. Platform should be steady by next window.
I care less about value for money at this point, I think we just need the right players, and while it's not ideal we are bringing in players he knows, it's not hard to see why he's doing it. The scouting and analytics sides of the club clearly aren't up to scratch yet when it comes to identifying diamonds with the right personality so we are just going to have to do our best and pay up. If we were doing the same in a year I would be worried but for now... If we overpay now, well that's just another symptom of the rebuild we need. But let's hope that's temporary. Can't solve every problem at once.

nickm

My only fear is that for some reason he doesn't turn out to be that progressive manager we all hoped, struggling to settle in the EPL. We have seen Ole playing some decent progressive football with Molde, Van Gaal Total football before as well and ETH dominate the Eredivise, but what do you expect with the biggest budget and the best academy (possibly in the world).

You can get away with play youngster here and there and develop him. Here you can see he's already safe with McTominay, but that will change with Casemiro and new reinforcements, just hope he doesn't go back into counterattacking football because he will not be able to tell the players to carry out his instructions. Few more losses and the pressure builds up. So just hope he is this dominant manager who will want his team play one way and doesn't back of like some previous managers.
I can't see that to be honest. Doesn't seem the type. I have to say, I'm kind of hoping he brings in a proper modern tactical education into our academy, seems to be a big weakness identified by multiple managers here.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
The end result is good if Antony is finalized. Not even a team with City's backing can expect to fill 7 or 8 starting 11 positions in a single transfer window. What I would question is the way we switched from De Jong and Antony to Arnautovic and Rabiot during a part of the process and then after the season started, we switched to Casemiro and back to Antony. It's like there are 2 different sets of decision makers.

I believe that Martinez, Malacia, Eriksen, Antony and Casemiro were the right signings. Now I expect us to continue in this manner in the following transfer windows. Avoid players like Sanchez and Pogba and go for players that truly complement the system and the direction of the team. We need to continue signing the right players.

honirelandboy

Martinez looks a proper center back not afraid to get stuck in. He reminds me so much of Vidic. Malacia as well looks like a work horse and will fit in well. Casemeiro speakers for himself along with Eriksen. Be interesting to see how Anthony does and if Ten Hag can Martial firing on all cylinders. I do believe there is a proper player in Martial and with Sancho and Anthony on the wings we could be in for something special.

antohan

I care less about value for money at this point, I think we just need the right players, and while it's not ideal we are bringing in players he knows, it's not hard to see why he's doing it. The scouting and analytics sides of the club clearly aren't up to scratch yet when it comes to identifying diamonds with the right personality so we are just going to have to do our best and pay up. If we were doing the same in a year I would be worried but for now... If we overpay now, well that's just another symptom of the rebuild we need. But let's hope that's temporary. Can't solve every problem at once.
I was essentially saying the same bar the unnecessary dissing of club scouts/analytics.

At this point it is more important he gets players who he knows will run through brickwalls for him. That's a very obvious need and a small pool, so was never going to be cheap.

antohan

What I would question is the way we switched from De Jong and Antony to Arnautovic and Rabiot during a part of the process and then after the season started, we switched to Casemiro and back to Antony. It's like there are 2 different sets of decision makers.
That's classic Bipolar United and a brownie point for Ten Hag. So much so I'm getting that ominous deja vu: "can a loss be a win?"

Remember the geese

Assuming we can get Antony, Dubravka and a striker of some description through the door before the window closes, then it has been a successful summer. You can definitely argue that we have stumbled our way to this position as opposed to genius planning and have overpayed for certain players, but all things considered I am happy with the quality of our acquisitions. We were never going to solve everything in one go, but I am quietly confident that three or four more quality additions next summer will leave us in a position where we can compete for the title.

antohan

Not a dissing, an explanation.
There's a much simpler explanation for Ten Hag to go for players he knows and it has nothing to do with our scouting being good, bad or average. Nor is this something we really know anything about, is it?

DevilRed

One common theme is we've signed fighers/warriors. Guys that have a no nonsense mentality and are hard as fecking nails. Martinez obviously. Casemiro is a warrior. Antony is a firebrand who actually has a high work rate for a so called "flair" winger. Malacia is also solid for someone so young. Eriksen is another whos personality/leadership is the polar opposite to clowns like pogba/lingard.

We've brought in alot of characters first and foremost. That should go a long way to helping us get back into the top four.