How excited are you about the World Cup?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So on the BBC footy homepage, Australian players put a video out today condemning xyz. One of their demands (or was it a request) is that a migrant workers resource centre is set up. I know there are stereotypes around Aussies not being the brightest bunch but you would hope that someone would do a little homework...

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opini...aign=Social_Traffic&utm_content=ap_ccuqkl5doo

Qatar have already opened an International Labourers Office.

If Ingerlund win this world cup I wonder if it will not be regarded as a proper win because Qatar have told visitors to respect the laws and customs of their sovereign land.
Players need to take a banner out on pitch and pull it out when the anthems get played, that would be very powerful message to the billions watching worldwide.

If Fifa sues the hell out of the federations so be it but that's the sort of protest that would get me watching.

NYAS

Only 2nd rate leagues play in the summer and how many players from those leagues will be going to the World Cup? Not many I bet

The timing of this tournament and disruption to the normal football calendar is my major issue with it all
Why does it matter whether they’re 2nd rate leagues or worse? Fact is they are national leagues. They too have fans that are obsessed with football.

For all the talk of democracy in here, seems like a terribly undemocratic attitude. Basically saying: keep the sport for the footballing elite and the rest can piss off.

Not even saying it should be a regular thing. But once in almost 100 years…don’t have a problem with that.

Giggsyking

As excited as usual?

Going to watch every game?

Going to only watch some games?

Can’t be arsed with it at all?

Discuss.
Very excited. Will be one of the best world cups, accessible for the first time in history to many fans around the world.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why does it matter whether they’re 2nd rate leagues or worse? Fact is they are national leagues. They too have fans that are obsessed with football.

For all the talk of democracy in here, seems like a terribly undemocratic attitude. Basically saying: keep the sport for the footballing elite and the rest can piss off.

Not even saying it should be a regular thing. But once in almost 100 years…don’t have a problem with that.
What part of keeping the World Cup in the summer (which every league in the world is accustomed to) is elistist? Was there anyone who was put out by having the WC in the summer?

But anyway the World Cup is an elite sports event - the vast majority of the players come from the top leagues in the world which have been unnecessarily disrupted by the move

Not to mention that Qatar bid for a summer World Cup, they said they would deliver air conditioned stadiums and fanzones to deal with the heat - if they were not able to do so then it should have been rebid

NYAS

What part of keeping the World Cup in the summer (which every league in the world is accustomed to) is elistist? Was there anyone who was put out by having the WC in the summer?

But anyway the World Cup is an elite sports event - the vast majority of the players come from the top leagues in the world which have been unnecessarily disrupted by the move

Not to mention that Qatar bid for a summer World Cup, they said they would deliver air conditioned stadiums and fanzones to deal with the heat - if they were not able to do so then it should have been rebid
Whether or not they were accustomed to it is irrelevant, it disrupts their league seasons, just like it’s disrupting European leagues this year. They’ve dealt with it for almost a century, it’s not a big deal for Europe to do the same once.

Also, many of those top players will this time arrive to a tournament fresh, with a good amount of fitness under their belt. As opposed to playing 9 months of football and getting to a World Cup completely knackered.

Not getting into a discussion about the bid. My point is that football is global. This time the Argentines and South Africans can enjoy a summer World Cup. Let them have it.

stevoc

Many of the world’s leagues play through the summer and end around November/December, for various reasons. This is the first time it’s held at their “end of the season”. Yeah it’s weird and we’re not used to it, but football is a global game isn’t it?
This tournament started almost a century ago in 1930 and was held in July, 20 tournaments since then all held in June/July. If a country can't host it at it's traditional time then they shouldn't have been considered as a host.

And and I've said let's not forget Qatar didn't bid on this as a winter World Cup, they bid on it with bullshit about stadiums with AC and that they were going to hold it in July. It was only moved to December after they won which shows you the level of corruption surrounding their bid. No one actually voted to award Qatar the hosting of a winter World Cup. If their bid had been on the basis of hosting it in December from the beginning it would have been more understandable but it wasn't. They lied through their teeth and bribed enough people to host a tournament they had neither the climate nor the infrastructure to stage.

Last edited:

Tyrion

It would be easier to accept if it wasn't a bait and switch. The bid wasn't for a winter world cup. They bid for the summer and promised air conditioned stadium. Once FIFA got the bid through and cashed their checks, it was quietly announced that actually the middle east is hot and its going to have to be in the winter and everyone else had to accept it.

This world cup is going to be in the winter because the Qataris lied and FIFA didn't want to return their brown envelopes.

stevoc

Whether or not they were accustomed to it is irrelevant, it disrupts their league seasons, just like it’s disrupting European leagues this year. They’ve dealt with it for almost a century, it’s not a big deal for Europe to do the same once.

Also, many of those top players will this time arrive to a tournament fresh, with a good amount of fitness under their belt. As opposed to playing 9 months of football and getting to a World Cup completely knackered.

Not getting into a discussion about the bid. My point is that football is global. This time the Argentines and South Africans can enjoy a summer World Cup. Let them have it.
The Argentine Primera Division usually runs from July to December, they've had to start and end it 6 weeks earlier than normal this year to accommodate the WC in Qatar.

The South African Premier Division runs from August to May the same as European leagues.

So it's disrupting their seasons also.

NYAS

This tournament started almost a century ago in 1930 and was held in July, 20 tournaments since then all held in June/July. If a country can't host it at it's traditional time then they shouldn't have been considered as a host.

And and I've said let's not forget Qatar didn't bid on this as a winter World Cup, they bid on it with bullshit about stadiums with AC and that they were going to hold it in July. It was only moved to December after they won which shows you the level of corruption surrounding their bid. No one actually voted to award Qatar the hosting of a winter World Cup. If their bid had been on the basis of hosting it in December from the beginning it would have been more understandable but it wasn't. They lied through their teeth and bribed enough people to host a tournament they had neither the climate nor infrastructure for.
It would be easier to accept if it wasn't a bait and switch. The bid wasn't for a winter world cup. They bid for the summer and promised air conditioned stadium. Once FIFA got the bid through and cashed their checks, it was quietly announced that actually the middle east is hot and its going to have to be in the winter and everyone else had to accept it.

This world cup is going to be in the winter because the Qataris lied and FIFA didn't want to return their brown envelopes.
Sure. I’m not talking about how it happened though. My point is about the end result and how it will provide players and fans in the Southern Hemisphere an experience they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

NYAS

The Argentine Primera Division usually runs from July to December, they've had to start and end it 6 weeks earlier than normal this year to accommodate the WC in Qatar.

The South African Premier Division runs from August to May the same as European leagues.

So it's disrupting their seasons also.
So ending their season a few weeks earlier is more disruptive than having a tournament slap bang in the middle of their season?

I’m also aware of when their seasons end, that comment specifically was more regarding supporters rather than the leagues.

This time they’ll have a BBQ while you’ll have a hot chocolate. It’s not a big deal.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

You talk as if the likes of Argentina want this end of year World Cup when actually it disrupts their normal season too (same for South Africa but they havent even qualified anyway so I dont know why you mention them) - which leagues are you talking about that wont be disrupted ?

By the way, the Copa America also takes place in the summer and the first ever World Cup was in South America in July so its not a European thing

So really I have no idea who you think was ever wanting anything different?!

Last edited:

stevoc

Sure. I’m not talking about how it happened though. My point is about the end result and how it will provide players and fans in the Southern Hemisphere an experience they wouldn’t have had otherwise.
I am.

So ending their season a few weeks earlier is more disruptive than having a tournament slap bang in the middle of their season?
Whether or not it is more or less disruptive is irrelevant. It's still disrupting the Argentine league season just as it would in July. And as pointed out a summer World Cup wouldn't disrupt South Africa's league at all.

I’m also aware of when their seasons end, that comment specifically was more regarding supporters rather than the leagues.
What difference will it make to fans in the southern hemisphere that are accustomed to watching the World Cup in their winter?

Most fans will be watching it inside on the TV regardless of the month.

This time they’ll have a BBQ while you’ll have a hot chocolate. It’s not a big deal.
It is a big deal, they lied to win the bid to host a summer tournament they knew they couldn't actually host and now most of the worlds top football leagues are being disrupted for 2-3 years to accommodate their deception.

Chief123

Im struggling to get excited about it yet because I just envisage teams full of players who are absolutely knackered and can barely run as the tournament goes on. Obviously won’t be the case but it seems so congested and rushed. No summer pre-world cup camps to build up to it.

Chief123

Would you care to elaborate on how previous World Cups were inaccessible to many fans around the world until now?
I think he’s referring to fans actually attending the World Cup in person. To be fair, Qatar appear to have made it very easy to obtain a visa to go and attend. Probably easier to obtain a visit visa for the World Cup than it is in places like U.K.

Gazza

I think he’s referring to fans actually attending the World Cup in person. To be fair, Qatar appear to have made it very easy to obtain a visa to go and attend. Probably easier to obtain a visit visa for the World Cup than it is in places like U.K.
That's fair, but unless you're au fait with the visa regulations at the time for all the countries that have hosted the tournament previously, it would seem difficult to make such a statement that Giggsyking did? To take your example, the last world cup in the UK was in the 60s and I've very little idea how hard/easy it was for spectators to get a UK visa back then, but fair play if Giggsyking has done the research on this :)

Chief123

That's fair, but unless you're au fait with the visa regulations at the time for all the countries that have hosted the tournament previously, it would seem difficult to make such a statement that Giggsyking did? To take your example, the last world cup in the UK was in the 60s and I've very little idea how hard/easy it was for spectators to get a UK visa back then, but fair play if Giggsyking has done the research on this :)
A visa in the U.K. to attend a World Cup or any event is not treated any differently than a visit visa. You would still be applying in the same manner with the same regulations.

NYAS

I am.

Whether or not it is more or less disruptive is irrelevant. It's still disrupting the Argentine league season just as it would in July. And as pointed out a summer World Cup wouldn't disrupt South Africa's league at all.

What difference will it make to fans in the southern hemisphere that are accustomed to watching the World Cup in their winter?

Most fans will be watching it inside on the TV regardless of the month.

It is a big deal, they lied to win the bid to host a summer tournament they knew they couldn't actually host and now most of the worlds top football leagues are being disrupted for 2-3 years to accommodate their deception.
Going around in circles here mate. I’ve made my point which you completely understand but can’t let it go. So I’ll leave you to it.

Bangalla

As of now lukewarm interest. And I agree it's one of the most corrupt and plain evil manifestations of football or sports ever.

But I will probably watch most of it anyway. I mean it is the World Cup. I have watched it since the final 1978. And I pay money to watch the Champions League and the Premier League. I feed the sport washing. I am already a hypocrite.

Chief123

I'm talking about in 1966, not the present day...?
I certainly wouldn’t use the 1966 World Cup as a comparison to whether it was more accessible to people around the world than the Qatar World Cup. Regardless of visas, the cost and accessibility of buying an airline ticket was significantly more difficult than it is today.

The key point is at this moment in time it’s easier to get a Qatar visit visa than it is in most countries like the U.K. Whether the OP was referring to that, I’ve absolutely no clue!

Gazza

I imagine the 2026 WC will be a bitch to get to for many people (at least those trying to enter the US).
Sure but since he said the first time in history, it makes more sense (to me at least) to look at previous world cups to question whether that statement is correct.

I would also add that accessibility comes down to more factors than visa eligibility. From what I have read, the price of staying in Qatar (even in a tent in a fan zone on the beach) is prohibitive enough for many, many people around the world who don't have that kind of disposable income. I absolutely could be wrong though, happy to be corrected on that.

Gazza

I certainly wouldn’t use the 1966 World Cup as a comparison to whether it was more accessible to people around the world than the Qatar World Cup. Regardless of visas, the cost and accessibility of buying an airline ticket was significantly more difficult than it is today.

The key point is at this moment in time it’s easier to get a Qatar visit visa than it is in most countries like the U.K. Whether the OP was referring to that, I’ve absolutely no clue!
If you want that to be the key point then no worries, I was specifically replying to Giggsyking's point, though ;)

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Reasonably, as an Australian I do not think we will get out of our group with Denmark and France in there. But hey ho, thems the breaks when you are not really a footballing nation.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
This is the least excited I’ve ever been for a World Cup.

For footballing reasons, before we even factor in human rights issues, I still think it’s an outrage that it’s being hosted in Qatar,. Plus ‘normal’ World Cups held during the summer are a bonus / festival of football, while this one is getting in the way of the regular club season.

If was Canadian for example, with them qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in my lifetime, I’d definitely be much more excited.

Giggsyking

Maybe? Surely no easier than most of the many other countries that have hosted it over the years. It’s the “first time in history” comment that I don’t understand.
You dont understand it because you dont know difficult to obtain a visa to a european country, Usa, japan or s korea. Because it is nothing you think of. For most asians and africans it is almost impossible. Maybe the Brazil worldcup was easier to access the most but Brazil is on the wrong side of the world geographicaly. Obtaining a visa to Qatar is the easiest between all the previous world cup countries.

Fabio Rochemback

I'll watch the odd game here or there. I'm sure I'll catch most England games, the semis and the final, but I won't be going out of my way to watch anything.

feck Qatar and feck FIFA

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You dont understand it because you dont know difficult to obtain a visa to a european country, Usa, japan or s korea. Because it is nothing you think of. For most asians and africans it is almost impossible. Maybe the Brazil worldcup was easier to access the most but Brazil is on the wrong side of the world geographicaly. Obtaining a visa to Qatar is the easiest between all the previous world cup countries.
I’m sure Africans didn’t find it too hard to get to a World Cup in Africa.

So if what you’re saying is true this is the most accessible World Cup ever to people from Asia (who aren’t Korean or Japanese)

So yeah, not the most accessible ever.

stevoc

Going around in circles here mate. I’ve made my point which you completely understand but can’t let it go.
If by going round in circles you mean you refusing to engage in a conversation about the actual important corruption issues surrounding the awarding of this world cup that lead to it being played in December. And instead waffling on about how you think it's great that most of the world top leagues are being disrupted for 2-3 years because it allows people in those notoriously cold countries of Argentina and South Africa to watch a few WC matches on the TV in their garden.

Then yeah I guess we're going round in circles mate.

So I’ll leave you to it.
Cheers

AlPistacho

Only World Cup I’ve really been excited about was Brazil. This one seems more like a mid season nuisance, will watch the England matches and big knock out matches. But the doubt it will have the festival atmosphere of a World Cup.

Giggsyking

I’m sure Africans didn’t find it too hard to get to a World Cup in Africa.

So if what you’re saying is true this is the most accessible World Cup ever to people from Asia (who aren’t Korean or Japanese)

So yeah, not the most accessible ever.
4.7 billion people lives in Asia. 57% of the world population. Yes it is the most accessible wc in history. Qatar is easily accessible by flight and land and placed geographicaly well compared to South africa. So even for north and midlands Africans I would guess its easier to travel to Qatar.

P-O

Meh. Even with Canada qualifying.
I truly believe the opposite.

First time Canada qualifies in 36 years, and not only are we beginning to be competitive, it will be a great challenge & hopefully score a goal.