How far are you prepared to see United fall?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We have many in our fan base who won’t admit coming 2nd in the league post SAF was a massive achievement.

They also believe that manager deserved the sack for complaining about being denied further reinforcement to continue the upward journey.

It seems to me that they believe it’s either win EPL/ECL or its failure. In that context, does it even matter where we end up?
Agreed. I said in one thread that eventually people will look back on that 2nd place finish as an achievement, along with the cup wins. I tried explaining this whilst people were ripping Jose for saying it's one of his greatest achievements. There's just a severe lack of foresight with most people when it comes to football.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If we get to League 2, Football Manager would be fun managing United :drool:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This might not be the worst team in the league this season but it will be the worst one to have to support. The clubs in danger of relegation will see some fight. We’ll see millionaire internationals content to finish mid table.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If we fall we fall.

But i just dont want we stubbornly fall for something stupid like giving rookie manager time because he happens to play for United once. Enough of this sentimentil young pashion academy shits.

Buy the best, hire the best, when we're stable enough then we think about youth etc.

sokol11

I would gladly take a year out of top 6 avoiding Europa League. We will not be relegated so it doesn't matter if we finish 8 or 10 we won't fell lower. We cleaned up quite well, there will still be some more to go (Rojo, Jones, Matic...). A few youngsters will improve in the meantime (McT, Greenwood) some promising players will get better (James, WanB) and with 3-4 quality additions we should start an upward curve.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'd rather get relegated and come back stronger like Juventus than languish between 4th-6th for 15 years like Arsenal.
Just because you're relegated doesnt make you come back stronger.

Just because ole god forbid relegated us, it simply meant he's so bad that giving him another 3 years is stupidity.

Manchester United playing in championship. Let that sink for a while

Cockney Phil

In some ways Ogs going won't be any real disaster as we don't have a style of play, and arguably noone would do worse than a run of 2 wins in 10 league games. That's shocking and only disguised a bit as it's across two seasons.

A new manager would at least benefit from the summer signings - those are in effect our only progress in the last 6months.
It’s not Ole going that’s now at stake. It’s that time is no longer on our side. We squandered his time as caretaker and we messed up the transfer window with a catalogue of poor decisions. We are are no longer able to determine events but will get increasingly wagged by them. It’s a precarious position because if we lose Ole before January that will disrupt the transfer window for a new manager. If he remains and we continue to stutter we won’t attract the players we need. If we wait until summer we are back where we started. It’s Catch-22.

TRUERED89

Its not quite as simple as that, I think most people seen a tough patch for United when Fergie left, replacing the best club manager of all time was never going to be easy. The likely hood of finding another Fergie is basically zero, a guy who was emotionally evolved with your club who could also deliver at the highest level. That accompanied by the rise of City and Liverpool and us and the continued spending of Chelsea made the PL a much different place than the majority of the Fergie years has mad your transition difficult.

IMO you should not have sacked Moyes so quickly despite how badly he started, that immediately put the mindset in place of "we expect immediate success". The fan base needs to stop looking for the next Ferguson, it wont happen.
We will never find another SAF, but the club is so rich and world renowned its insane how we've been going round the same block for 7 years. I know Barca/Madrid/Bayern/Juve never had a manager for 3 decades but would they ever allow this soul destroying mediocrity for 7 years? Not a god damn chance.

rotherham_red

fecking hell, some people thinking we'll go in to a relegation scrap. Get a grip, ffs.

We're this and the coming generation's Liverpool. I accepted it long ago, and will take what flak comes my way from my friends and social media. I've enjoyed an era of unprecedented success as a fan, and I'll take the bad (which isn't really even that bad - not when you compare it to real life, or even in sporting terms when you look at when we were relegated in 74, and I hate to bring it up, but Munich).

I think some of us need to either a) grow up; b) get out more; c) get a sense of perspective; or c) a combination of the three.

It's a game. It should never ever get to the point where people are ranting and raving, or posing questions like how far should we be prepared for us to fall, as if it is something of utmost importance.

EDIT - I saw this thread yesterday, and I think very many of us should also read it and bear what it says in mind:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We will never find another SAF, but the club is so rich and world renowned its insane how we've been going round the same block for 7 years. I know Barca/Madrid/Bayern/Juve never had a manager for 3 decades but would they ever allow this soul destroying mediocrity for 7 years? Not a god damn chance.
Its also a massive blow that neither of the probably the best managers in the world will ever manage you now. How the hell you missed out on both Pep and Klopp is beyond me.

TRUERED89

Its also a massive blow that neither of the probably the best managers in the world will ever manage you now. How the hell you missed out on both Pep and Klopp is beyond me.
I have no idea why Pep didn't listen to SAF in 2012 when asked to become the next man, maybe because he knew he wouldn't get a blank cheque book? With Klopp we already know he got turned off by Woody's "Adult Disneyland" sales pitch. You couldn't make that up if you tried, what an absolute clown.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I have no idea why Pep didn't listen to SAF in 2012 when asked to become the next man, maybe because he knew he wouldn't get a blank cheque book? With Klopp we already know he got turned off by Woody's "Adult Disneyland" sales pitch. You couldn't make that up if you tried, what an absolute clown.
How did Woody sell the "project"?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure we ever had a chance of getting Pep as he was always the endgame for the City owners. Klopp we tried for and he turned us down. I'm sure they'll be others in the future (not on Pep's level though admittedly)

dev1l

Re Pep and Fergie. They were seen in a restaurant in New York. Apparently Pep told Fergie that had already committed himself to City and there was no way back.
Moreover as Gullit (?) once said, no one wants to manage just after Fergie cause it s almost impossible to achieve what he did.
Maybe Pep considered that too.

Bestietom

I think we are 4 TOP players away from challenging for honours.
If this means 300million to bring these players in, then this should be our aim.
We have players that need to be moved out and this needs to continue in January and next summer.
If we have this money to spend then Woodward and the Glazers should put up or shut up. Sacking managers whilst making excuses is not the answer, getting a good team together for the faithful fans is what is needed.
4 Top players and some Youngsters promoted is what we would like to see.

TRUERED89

Re Pep and Fergie. They were seen in a restaurant in New York. Apparently Pep told Fergie that had already committed himself to City and there was no way back.
Moreover as Gullit (?) once said, no one wants to manage just after Fergie cause it s almost impossible to achieve what he did.
Maybe Pep considered that too.
Pep hadn't even joined Bayern yet!? So how 4 years in advance had he committed to those blue w@nkers when he hadn't even managed one game for Bayern yet? He was on his sabbatical, and hadn't even committed to his next club, let alone City..

dev1l

Pep hadn't even joined Bayern yet!? So how 4 years in advance had he committed to those blue w@nkers when he hadn't even managed one game for Bayern yet? He was on his sabbatical, and hadn't even committed to his next club, let alone City..
You re right. That was just before he took over Bayern.

fastwalker

It's a complete fallacy to think United need to continue to get worse in order for them to find the ability to compete once again. We're just offering excuses to the players, the manager, the board and even ourselves. I don't tolerate any sense of mediocrity in search of a longer term gain. We're going nowhere, absolutely nowhere right now. Our results continuing to deteriorate and our performances getting worse just put us further away, not closer. Want to win the title again, start by appointing a manager who has the vision, leadership and modernity to build a side and who wants to be here for the long haul. None of our last four appointments have had that. Ole wants to be here and that's about all he's got.

You can rant at the Glazers all you want, but we've still invested enough to be competitive at the top of Europe. We've not got close to doing that because we have fecked it all up. Fans of other clubs must look at us lamenting our spend and just laugh. Yeah, we could have spent a whole lot more, but there's not a shred of evidence to suggest that we would have known how best to invest that.
Great post. Lots of really good points. In the OP I was basically looking to test the appetite that United fans have for continued recession in the name of needing to rebuild. You have addressed it really well in my view and I totally agree with the points that you have made.

dev1l

He knew United hadn't been spending big, probably saw what we did with the Ronaldo money and thought FECK that!
At the time we were skint. Maybe he knew that the no value mantra in reality meant no money mantra :)

Thisistheone

How many steps back did City take?

How long did it take Juve to come back from relegation?

It's 100% down to the ownership. Therein lies our future
This.

Our owners/Woodward continue to make bad managerial choices with no long term vision and we'll be going round in cirlces for years until the main objective of the club changes. Thats one of the hardest things to take, you look at other clubs and they're smarter & more ambitious.

Utd must be the worst run club in the world pound for pound. No one is currently underachieving like us. Liverpool's excuse in the 90's - they missed the boat in terms of the PL's commercial power. They got left behind. We don't have that excuse, we're loaded, our profile is the biggest. The clubs potential is vast.

Thats the beast Fergie built. And its a tradegy how badly things have gone since the great man finished. There'll be case studies in years to come about this period in Utd's history. How to destroy a dynasty.

TRUERED89

At the time we were skint. Maybe he knew that the no value mantra in reality meant no money mantra :)
We were never skint, its Man United not Tranmere Rovers. Glazers knew they could be stingy because SAF was getting the best out of the squad to a miraculous level, whilst adding average players like Obertan, Bebe, Diouf and co.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
I'd be happy see you sink to National League level. Nothing personal though, I feel that way about most Premiership clubs, including Liverpool, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and (to a slightly lesser degree) Spurs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Why does this thread ask - how far we prepared to see United fall.
I think it is fair to say that none of us are prepared to see the club fall any further.
But. The point is that the vast majority of us have zero influence in the club's fall or rise.
All we as loyal fans can do is to continue to give the club and the team all our support.
It is the responsibility of those employed by Manchester United to do their utmost to arrest the disastrous fall and turn it around.

Speedicut75

Funny thing to consider, and with the same sentiment expressed before: doesn't matter how far we fall, most, I hope, will endure ( good grace or not ) the descent, right there along side them.