How good a manager is Diego Simeone?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It is not rocket science and so any opinion from any football fan is legit, yet it does not mean it is true. Simeone’s tenure has been a huge, huge success, it is only natural after ten years to find that something is not so enthralling any more. He is certainly aware of that and is now trying to implement a more progressive style, certainly going against his own self. Stay assured he will use this break to try and find is mojo again, possibly reverting to what he knows and can do better.

wr8_utd

:'(
I watch a lot of Atleti because I enjoy watching La Liga and as impressive as his accomplishments are, he makes it impossible to watch his teams. Would never take him at United even if it meant some form of success.

SER19

Hes been one of the best over the past decade but I'd worry he might go the way of Jose in terms of not adapting

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's having a bad season but he's one of the best around. I think a change in scenery is needed for him now.

TheRedHearted

I ask this mostly on a general 'good to know that' basis, but obviously against the backdrop that he's not talked about at all for our management position despite seemingly having a good CV without spending the most.

I've not watched La Liga THAT much, so interesting to know from those who do: How good do you feel he is? Is he elite like Pep/Klopp, or slightly lower, or lower still?

Is his football outdated, or simply less 'fashionable?' How do you see him competing in future? Did he simply get lucky with the likes of Godin, or does he produce such players through his management?
Should have taken over Chelsea after mous first stint or at some point when they were defensive power houses

Teja

I watch a lot of Atleti because I enjoy watching La Liga and as impressive as his accomplishments are, he makes it impossible to watch his teams. Would never take him at United even if it meant some form of success.
Yeah the only reason I root for Atleti is because they're an alternative to the big two. Everything else about them is just terrible. The diving, the time wasting, the bad tackles, shit football, you can go on. Do whatever it takes to win, ethics be damned is their way. You can't honestly get behind that when others have proven that there's a much better way to play the game.

The only reason he's rated in England is because he doesn't manage there, otherwise he'd be more hated than Mourinho was during his tenures in England.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Budget peak Mourinho/Conte

Defend defend defend and hope we nick a goal

Foolsgold21

Amazed he’s the highest paid manager in the land - does feel as though his time is coming to an end

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Biggest clown in world football. I rejoice everytime his team loses. Atletico is a perfect reflection of the man and of everything that's wrong with the sport.

Red Star One

He's a very good defensive manager and Atleti fans can only be happy with what he has achieved with them over the last decade, but I think he's losing his mojo slowly. I absolutely dislike him as a person and a character though, if you browse the Caf from Spain and don't block the ads, he's literally at 30-40% of them promoting some telecoms or TV packages.

arthurka

I absolutely hate him as a manager, defend deep, long balls, antics and shithousery all the time all that while having some of the worlds best footballers in your squad.
His stats are great and all that but Christ almighty he kills the buzz of watching top flight football.

Gavinb33

I am not a fan but to break the hegemony of Real and Barca somewhat in La Liga isnt to be sniffed at.

I do think with the players Atleti have they could play better football and all the shithousing pisses me off no end but it works for them.

wr8_utd

:'(
I am not a fan but to break the hegemony of Real and Barca somewhat in La Liga isnt to be sniffed at.

I do think with the players Atleti have they could play better football and all the shithousing pisses me off no end but it works for them.
Not been working for them at all since they won the title two seasons ago.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do Atleti fans still back him? His status there is cemented and overall has done an amazing job but surely it’s time to move on now

Chief123

I think there’s other managers who if they employed his tactics and philosophy could achieve the same. It’s easier to become a manager that gets results by parking the bus than it is to get results playing expansive football.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
World class, one of the best etc etc.
He's hit a rough patch but make no mistake, what he did with them is stuff worthy of legends, 2 cl finals which he arguably couldn't have won plus 2 league titles breaking the duopoly of barca and Madrid is mightily impressive.

Okey

He will go down as a great manager for Atleti, if not everyone's cup of tea. His results speak for him.

Lay

World class, one of the best etc etc.
He's hit a rough patch but make no mistake, what he did with them is stuff worthy of legends, 2 cl finals which he arguably couldn't have won plus 2 league titles breaking the duopoly of barca and Madrid is mightily impressive.
Of course he goes down as a legend but Atleti have been poor for awhile. Even the year they won the league, they were free falling in the second half of the season.

Maybe it’s time to part ways before it gets worse

saivet

I think there’s other managers who if they employed his tactics and philosophy could achieve the same. It’s easier to become a manager that gets results by parking the bus than it is to get results playing expansive football.
I think you're doing him a disservice. His record at Atletico has been excellent even if they have fallen off the past couple of years.

2x La Liga
2x Europa League
1x Copa Del Rey
2x CL Finalist

Lay

Though getting every player to believe in your philosophy which negates their attacking ability is pretty difficult. The players would give their lives for him on the football pitch. Not many managers can get that to happen

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Of course he goes down as a legend but Atleti have been poor for awhile. Even the year they won the league, they were free falling in the second half of the season.

Maybe it’s time to part ways before it gets worse
Yeah maybe, but he has enough credit in the bank to see it through his contract so let's see what happens.

Abraxas

I think his defensive football is the reason they've been successful. Every man and his dog attempts expansive football these days. It's not a niche, people are expecting it. So it's pretty hard to say he should have done this or that. Chances are man for man he's never had a team to beat the big dogs in Spain or reach CL finals playing in a similar fashion to them. He's found a formula that current teams struggle against.

I wouldn't have him as a United manager, ever. It's one of those styles you have to always be winning something with otherwise it would become toxic. Many fanbases just won't put up with anything that isn't what we're told football must be. He's been successful there so it's worked but at United you're never going to be constantly successful anymore and the rough periods under a manager like Simeone would be unbearable with a divided fanbase.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Extremely overrated. His tactics can be a success for a while but it can only take a club so far. Surely the fans must get sick of such boring football as well.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It's simple.

Compare him to managers that count on similar budgets and see who has the most impressive CV.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Compare his salary to those on similar salaries and see who has the most impressive CV.

He had an excellent peak for a while, but he's been rather crap for at least the last few seasons.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He won the league a couple of seasons ago with a 67 - 25 on goal difference. His playing style needs a focused and specialized players, but looking at their squad they seem to have a lot of "jack of all trades" players, which can be a problem for a team who plays a defensive style and needs to be very accurate when taking chances.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Compare his salary to those on similar salaries and see who has the most impressive CV.

He had an excellent peak for a while, but he's been rather crap for at least the last few seasons.
Or compare the overall budget, including his salary and see who has the most impressive CV.

Also, he won the league in 2021 so I don't see how he was rather crap by then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_La_Liga

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He won the league a couple of seasons ago with a 67 - 25 on goal difference. His playing style needs a focused and specialized players, but looking at their squad they seem to have a lot of "jack of all trades" players, which can be a problem for a team who plays a defensive style and needs to be very accurate when taking chances.
Couldn't agree more

MileStolar

He's the person responsible that Atletico Madrid are considered a top side in European football and who introduced a term "top 3" in La Liga. Erase him from their history they're just another Valencia, Sevilla, Villareal - clubs that do good for a year, two, three and then go back to midtable and reemerge a decade or two later. Guy's a legend and one of the rare kind to stay at single club for so long.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
2 La Liga titles during a period of incredible Real and Barca teams is insane.

If only he'd have had the Sunday League manager idea of defending corners with a man on the back post. Then he'd have a CL title too.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Although his football is a lot boring and not exciting or attacking-minded like a lot of top teams in today's football, I still think he's a world-class manager. He isn't at his best since his best was during 2013-2021. During his peak, he beat top teams like Guardiola's Bayern, Klopp's Liverpool, Zidane Madrid, and Enrique's Barcelona. His big achievements like winning La Liga ahead of Barcelona and Madrid and being runner-up of 2 UCL have said it all. I think his transformation from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 has changed a lot of approaches in terms of playing style and organizing and cooperating in the defensive phase. Another reason, a lot of core players in Atletico in the past 2 years have been declining rapidly since 2021- the present example is Oblak.

SAFMUTD

He was deservedly praised for what he achieved during his first years at atletico. Taking a relegation form team into La Liga champions and two UCL finals is impressive.

But it's been years now that atletico has a much better squad and he still plays like the underdog in every single KO round. I don't think Atletico fans are happy with this, surely he has enough credit in the bank but that is slowly washing away.

MegadrivePerson

They in the Europa league now? Turning into a lovely tournament this season with United, Barcelona, Arsenal, Juventus & Ath. Madrid.

Europa League 2023, the place to be :drool:
They are away at Porto, Leverkusen at home to Bruges, so I'd make Leverkusen slight favourites to qualify.