How good is Eddie Howe?

Skills

Snitch
Who'd have thought that he'd transform Newcastle in the way he has? Surely the mess they were in, it was a 5 year & £1bn+ job to get them anywhere near where they are now.

How's he done it so quick?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s doing very well but haven’t they spent like £250m since Jan?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Who'd have thought that he'd transform Newcastle in the way he has? Surely the mess they were in, it was a 5 year & £1bn+ job to get them anywhere near where they are now.

How's he done it so quick?
Right players, look at Leicester when they won the league. Doesn't always take big money sometimes just the right system and players helps.

Theyll invest heavily too so they have a good foundation.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah they’ve certainly spent and seemingly, spent well with Trippier, Botman, Pope, Burn, Guimaraes all settling in well. Isak, their record signing has looked promising, albeit a disrupted start to his career.

They are extremely solid and difficult to breakdown and always seem to have a goal in them, with Almiron also in the form of his life. Joelinton as well. Seems Howe has done an excellent job considering Bournemouth was almost on the other end of the spectrum - seemed very attacking but wasnt great defensively.

The toon has also continued to pick up points even when missing their 2 main forwards. I hope they don’t make top 4. With their spending power, it will attract some decent players and fast track their status in the league.

Zen

Money all you want .... but he's improved everything he took on too, and it's hardly like any of the signings should have been this good either.

Is there any chance of him being sacked by the Summer of 2024 though? So that he's ready to take on the England job. Yes please, although I'm not sure his time wasting thing is gonna work when it'll lead to 15 minutes extra time every game in 2026.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Isak and Trippier have been injured for large chunks of his reign.

Bit of a weird logic though given vast majority of top half prem managers will spend that amount if they're in the job for 2-3 years so a English guy spends that, significantly improves them and gets called out for it in ways Pep, Klopp, Tuchel don't?

Anyway his Bournemouth body of work was very good on the whole but still surprised me how well he's done up there tbh.

What he's done very well is transition them from just punting the ball up to Saint-Maximn and Calum Wilson and cross their fingers they can conjur up a goal in final third to a possession confident team that can play through the lines.

Just shows what a complete fraud Steve Bruce is these days, he had most of these players but was moaning likes of Joelinthon and Almiron were no good. :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Bit of a weird logic though given vast majority of top half prem managers will spend that amount if they're in the job for 2-3 years so a English guy spends that, significantly improves them and gets called out for it in ways Pep, Klopp, Tuchel don't?

Anyway his Bournemouth body of work was very good on the whole but still surprised me how well he's done up there tbh.

What he's done very well is transition them from just punting the ball up to Saint-Maximn and Calum Wilson and cross their fingers they can conjur up a goal in final third to a possession confident team that can play through the lines.

Just shows what a complete fraud Steve Bruce is these days, he had most of these players but was moaning likes of Joelinthon and Almiron were no good. :lol:
Yeah I’ve never seen anyone call out Pep, Klopp and Tuchel for how much they’ve spent in the transfer market.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah I’ve never seen anyone call out Pep, Klopp and Tuchel for how much they’ve spent in the transfer market.
You're missing the point a bit . Newcastle are currently 2nd in the league and tbh their play reflects it. 12 months ago they were second bottom.

So because they spend 200m + they should just effortlessly glide into top 4 in ways likes of Villa and Everton haven't come close despite spending a huge amount in last 5 years?

Chelsea haven't seriously challenged for league since 2017 either despite spending 60m + on two keepers in that timeframe.

Did wonder if the break would hinder their momentum but clearly not if they can go away to in form Leicester and breeze into 3-0 lead.

Zen

With regards to Trippier... his first 4 games last season before getting injured absolutely turned them around. Astonishing signing. 2 gamewinning free-kicks and a brilliant defensive leader, while waiting for the next few to come in - who were all spot on signings for what they wanted to do last year, but even so, he's still making use of even Chris Wood.

Skills

Snitch
You're missing the point a bit . Newcastle are currently 2nd in the league and tbh their play reflects it. 12 months ago they were second bottom.
That's despite the "amazing but thankless" job Steve Bruce was doing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's despite the "amazing but thankless" job Steve Bruce was doing.
Ah Brucie...funny thing is he went to West Brom and did exactly the same! 1 win from WBA first 12 games, they get Coberan in and currently on a run of 6 wins in his first 8.

I'd be astounded if he gets another job in football as last two have shown how out of touch he is these days.

So he'll probably be Everton's next manager then....

Sylar

Most impressive thing has been the defensive record especially recently.

Five clean sheets in seven league games or something like that. One thing that seemed like he couldn't figure out at Bournemouth

Zen

Is that all?!? That’s more than any club outside Manchester has ever spent over the course of two seasons.
How can this be true when Chelsea spent nearly £280m this summer alone? Arsenal have also spent £260m over the past 2 seasons with another window about to come....

Tottenham only spent about £10m less in the same 2 windows Newcastle accumulated that total too. While Forest who spent £160m are the worst team in the league.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brilliant. He deserves every credit. Who has thought he would do this with that team !

Almiron is the best goal scoring midfielder in PL now. Their 70m signing is injured but Botman, Trippier and Bruno has entirely transformed the team . Even Joelington is playing great !

432JuanMata

Great manager he is even at Bournemouth he took them up the leagues and make them a solid PL team.
Most criticised his tactics at Bournemouth near the end but it was a poor side that did t belong in the PL and he took them as far as they could go

432JuanMata

Hard to see him being available for few years
He walked into the perfect job. He did great at Bournemouth but eventually took them as far as they could go with finances etc. top clubs at the time looked at him as a risk due to the step up but based on Newcastle he seems to be up for the challenge and with money to spend I wonder if he can challenge for the title in 2/3 years

croadyman

He walked into the perfect job. He did great at Bournemouth but eventually took them as far as they could go with finances etc. top clubs at the time looked at him as a risk due to the step up but based on Newcastle he seems to be up for the challenge and with money to spend I wonder if he can challenge for the title in 2/3 years
Yeah we are stuck with Southgate for at least Euros but maybe next World Cup too

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Brilliant. He deserves every credit. Who has thought he would do this with that team !

Almiron is the best goal scoring midfielder in PL now. Their 70m signing is injured but Botman, Trippier and Bruno has entirely transformed the team . Even Joelington is playing great !
They have been very patient with him. Has taken him almost two seasons to settle in.

Let's see what happens when the expectations increase at the club. The fans may not be as patient with the new signings then.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Starting to think he’s the real deal. He had a major flaw at Bournemouth which was the defence - he never sorted it out and his sides would concede far too much and you could predict that at some point they would be relegated if he didn’t change it…and it happened. Since then he seems to have gone away and learnt exactly what he needed to learn to create a fantastic side capable of beating anyone and maintain consistency in attack and defence. Kudos to him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How can this be true when Chelsea spent nearly £280m this summer alone? Arsenal have also spent £260m over the past 2 seasons with another window about to come....

Tottenham only spent about £10m less in the same 2 windows Newcastle accumulated that total too. While Forest who spent £160m are the worst team in the league.
Because it’s absolutely not.

Howe’s done a mega job so far. I’d say they’re about 18-24 months ahead of schedule with how he’s got them performing

CM

They've actually spent a lot more money than I realised, but that shouldn't detract from the job Eddie Howe has done with them. Isak makes up a fair chunk of their expenditure and he has only played 3 league games for them.

I think they'll go the distance in the race for top 4. Maybe they won't finish there but they don't have any European football commitments and I think they've got enough squad depth to navigate the domestic cup games without it affecting their league form too much. Hopefully we can still finish above them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Premier League clubs have a lot of money. Other clubs know about this and will try to speculate their players value when negotiating with english clubs.

250M spent in England is probably the equivalent of spending much less in other leagues for an equivalent club to Newcastle.

ShinjiNinja26

Shocking result! Bottling it at home against 10 men Pool. They game should’ve been done and dusted but they seemed hell-bent on letting Liverpool back into the game.

GlasgowCeltic

he’s done better than I thought but ultimately I still think he’ll just be their Mark Hughes at City

SAFMUTD

He fecked his own team up with those subs. Took Gordon out who was killing TTA. Took Tonali out for Longstaff and fecked up his midfield control.

Liverpool had two chances and took them well but Howe has a big responsibility in this one.

Tyrion

Clearly the rule limiting Jason Tindall has effected them.

Seriously though I think Howe is a really good manager

arnie_ni

He fecked his own team up with those subs. Took Gordon out who was killing TTA. Took Tonali out for Longstaff and fecked up his midfield control.

Liverpool had two chances and took them well but Howe has a big responsibility in this one.
Did he think the game was in hand and was rotating?