How good was David Beckham?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
My opinion is that from 96-02 he was more important, consistent, and just better for us than Giggs and Scholes were in the same period. Only Keane outdid him on those counts.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know someone who genuinely believes Anderton was better.

I defy anyone to watch the treble season highlights back, and deny for he was top quality that season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My opinion is that from 96-02 he was more important, consistent, and just better for us than Giggs and Scholes were in the same period. Only Keane outdid him on those counts.
Becks definitely gets underrated against those two due to longevity reasons.
Leaving at 28, rather than 38/41 ish.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Same! Giggs and Scholes continued to play at the highest level for almost a decade after Becks was already on a decline when he was 28-30 (despite Giggs and Scholes being slightly older than Becks). But before that for me it was:
1. Keane
2. Becks
3. Scholes
4. Giggs
Not much between them and all incredible players but this has always been my ranking.

Bwuk

I love Bruno but I’d have Beckham ahead of him any day of the week.

Giggs86

IIRC Becks was leading the assists table in La Liga for a couple of years after Joining Madrid, so I would disagree that he was on a decline after leaving United. I'm sure if he would've stayed he'd have a part in our 2007-2011 success, alongside Scholes and Giggs.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Possibly the best winger in my lifetime (which is long). His contribution in the Treble year is often overlooked because of those who scored lots more goals. But he scored or assisted 25 I think, but was hugely involved in at least 15 more (ie playing a defence opening pass for someone who then got the assist).

the guy was world class

Trequarista10

Better than Giggs and Scholes at his best.

He was an incredible footballer.
I don't know about better as its comparing apples and oranges but at his best he was more important for us. The sheer number of goals that came from his crosses either directly or indirectly was insane.

In the modern game he'd either be a CM or RB/RWB though

Pablo18th

Isanely good. His right foot was so good he could use under pressure so much that people don't remember when need be he could deliver a weighted final ball with his left too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The best crosser and free kick taker we’ve ever had. Also the hardest working RW we’ve ever had

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yep you can tell who watched him play and who not.
People who didn’t watch him may think nowadays “great technique and right foot, but everyone else probably did all the dirty work for this pretty boy”.
Nope, pretty boy was not only an incredible attacking player, but was doing the dirty work all the time as well. Great decision making, incredibly hard working and awesome team player.

Lynty

Favorite ever United player.

At his peak, would walk into any side in the world at the minute as he was so versatile.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Becks was a top player. He had a wand of a right foot. Didn't have the blinding pace of say Giggs or Kanchelskis or Sharpe. Not the greatest dribbler either.
Worked hard for the team though,always gave it 100%.

big rons sovereign

As good as De Bruyne?! I'm a United fan and understand there will be a bias, but come on!

He had an unbelievable ability to kick a ball to an exact spot, down to an inch but apart from that he wasn't that great. I remember constantly being annoyed with him when he wasn't taking a beautiful free kick.

He didn't have any pace, wasn't very skilful (apart from his obvious ability to kick long distances), couldn't defend, wasn't a fighter when needed like a Keane or Rooney, etc.

The media status he had/has probably makes people people remember him more fondly.
No offence mate, but this is Bollox.

big rons sovereign

That one cross to Ronaldo should be all the evidence anybody needs.
Or the goal against Madrid where he skinned 2 defenders then pinged it top bins.

People saying he had no skill, good grief.

fergies coat

Brilliant player. One poster on here saying he wasn't a fighter, that was one of his best attributes. His stamina was off the charts. He never give up. The man was a workhorse. He was world class in his prime.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Bruyne hasn’t come close to a season as influential as Beckham had in 98/99.

fergies coat

As good as De Bruyne?! I'm a United fan and understand there will be a bias, but come on!

He had an unbelievable ability to kick a ball to an exact spot, down to an inch but apart from that he wasn't that great. I remember constantly being annoyed with him when he wasn't taking a beautiful free kick.

He didn't have any pace, wasn't very skilful (apart from his obvious ability to kick long distances), couldn't defend, wasn't a fighter when needed like a Keane or Rooney, etc.

The media status he had/has probably makes people people remember him more fondly.
Joke of a post!!!

jesperjaap

I think the celebrity stuff and brand Beckham worked against him during his career. Also the fact that he was replaced by Ronaldo eased the memory of him leaving.

But I think he was actually under rated as a player. Im not going to compare him toKeane, Scholes and Giggs on who was the best as all totally different players. But that was one of the best midfields of all time in world football for me, combine them together and you would have the perfect footballer.

Beckham worked so so hard up and down that flank...and with quality too, what more can you ask for? I think it is also important to remember how good he was consistantly for England. When you look at that golden generation, really only Beckham and Cole performed to expectations and Ferdinand to a lesser degree. The likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry were absolute shadows of the players they were for there clubs....Beckham wasnt

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Probably my favourite ever United player.
Undisputedly world class.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Most gutted I've ever been when we sold a player.

And I fecking detest all the brand Beckham / celebrity culture shit.

Classic example of how being a gimp off field can be ignored if you deliver on it, and feck me he delivered.

Great player, pains me he didn't retire at Utd like Giggs & Scholes.

lawliet354

Absolutely agree. I'm 100% sure if Beckham never left, it wouldn't even be a discussion, most people would totally agree. Don't think Scholes or Giggs ever had any season as good as Becks in 98/99.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Losing beckham and stam is a small price we paid for the genius that was SAF. I can live with that. Cracking player with a sweet right foot. He brought one trick pony definition to another dimension.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brilliant player. One poster on here saying he wasn't a fighter, that was one of his best attributes. His stamina was off the charts. He never give up. The man was a workhorse. He was world class in his prime.
That's what I remember. In the modern game wouldn't he be of the main pressers in any team? That combined with his passing, leadership etc would be something in a modern 433 system

pacifictheme

Would people say Rooney was a better player or not?
Rooney was better yeah but both were really great players.

Edit: although having said that Beckham was balloon d'or worthy in 99, not sure Rooney ever reached that peak.

GueRed

Losing beckham and stam is a small price we paid for the genius that was SAF. I can live with that. Cracking player with a sweet right foot. He brought one trick pony definition to another dimension.
Loved Jaap Stam.

Fergie selling a world class defender and not replacing him adequately was a major reason why we didnt make it 4 in a row in 2001/2002.

Ixion

Beckham was not a one trick pony, christ. Would that trick be crossing? Free kicks? Passing? Tracking back? Covering every blade of grass? Corners? He was a fantastic player.

Oranges038

Load of crap.

Lee565

I can imagine had he not fallen out with fergie then he would have been here for just as long as Scholes and Giggs were and would have probably eventually had seen fergie playing a central midfield trio of Beckham, Scholes and Giggs.

I think had Beckham come through in the modern game he would be being used as deep lying playmaker.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned

I think this might be the worst, most incorrect, post that has ever been written on here.

Of all the absolute cack in this post, the fact that you're suggesting he wasn't a fighter really highlights that you don't seem to know anything about what kind of a player he was.