How good was David Beckham?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I can imagine had he not fallen out with fergie then he would have been here for just as long as Scholes and Giggs were and would have probably eventually had seen fergie playing a central midfield trio of Beckham, Scholes and Giggs.

I think had Beckham come through in the modern game he would be being used as deep lying playmaker.
He was never going to stay that long with his wife loving London and US. From 1996 until 2003 Becks kept travelling regularly between London and Manchester. Even though they lived in Manchester back then for obvious reasons, they were in London whenever possible. Even when they moved to Madrid his family spent as much time as possible in London.
Fergie was prepared to get on with all the celebrity drama all the years Becks was performing on such a high level. Once his level declined he was never going to ignore the ever present off pitch stuff anymore. If not in 2003, Becks would have left 2-3 years later anyway.

Oldyella

Brilliant player. One poster on here saying he wasn't a fighter, that was one of his best attributes. His stamina was off the charts. He never give up. The man was a workhorse. He was world class in his prime.
Not a fighter? fecks sake some people need to give their head a wobble. Would argue his strength of character was one of his strongest attributes. They had effigies of him hanging in the streets and he gave one of his strongest ever seasons!

Not a fighter...

Devil81

World class, he was a warrior of a player who wasn't afraid to put himself about either, people forget that. Crossing ability wise he was maybe the best I've seen play the game and then there were the free kicks and general excellent all round play.

Above all else he was an ultra professional, always fit, always gave 110%. I was gutted when he left for Madrid but given his celeb lifestyle I think it was the correct decision to make for the club, brand Beckham was growing too strong and Sir Alex couldn't have that around the squad at the time.

The transfer fee was an absolute joke I will say, the most marketable footballer of his generation should have gone for double the figure at the time.

ForeverRed1

Had the sweetest right foot I have ever seen. Just the technique he had, how natural he looked on the ball, the accuracy, precision. Also his mentality, always was the most talked about footballer because he married a spice girl and looked like a Greek god. Just had the IT factor all over really. Despite it all though, just a incredible footballer and always managed to stay humble.

sensational bloke, I love him:lol::devil::drool::drool::drool:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He didn't have any pace, wasn't very skilful (apart from his obvious ability to kick long distances), couldn't defend, wasn't a fighter when needed like a Keane or Rooney, etc.

The media status he had/has probably makes people people remember him more fondly.
Somebody's lying about seeing Beckham play.

youmeletsfly

Had the sweetest right foot I have ever seen. Just the technique he had, how natural he looked on the ball, the accuracy, precision. Also his mentality, always was the most talked about footballer because he married a spice girl and looked like a Greek god. Just had the IT factor all over really. Despite it all though, just a incredible footballer and always managed to stay humble.

sensational bloke, I love him:lol::devil::drool::drool::drool:
When he was hitting the ball it was like he was bending his whole body around the ball, so so natural.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Somebody's lying about seeing Beckham play.
Mad isn’t it? When I think back to our comebacks in those years, Beckham was at the heart of most of them, driving us forward.

90 + 5min

Brilliant. Only thing he was missing is top speed. Otherwise, he had it all.

I think lot of people are underrating him. Just because of his involvement in fashion world and his relationship with Victoria.

Spoony

The People's President
Very very good player. One who worked tirelessly to perfect his game and he could also put in shift for 90mins. It's a shame the circus got involved because he was never truly the same player again. I also felt he thought thought he was bigger than he deserved to be, suppose that's Brand Beckham for you. But yeah he was top quality before the crap took over. If anything a little underrated due to the bloody brand thing.

MattyB1986

Beckham was amazing. Underrated as hell; crossing, deadballs, passing of the highest order. Coming back after all of that Argentina bs, showed he had a great fighting spirit. Like noted already, only thing missing really was pace, but everything else made up for it.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
As good as De Bruyne?! I'm a United fan and understand there will be a bias, but come on!

He had an unbelievable ability to kick a ball to an exact spot, down to an inch but apart from that he wasn't that great. I remember constantly being annoyed with him when he wasn't taking a beautiful free kick.

He didn't have any pace, wasn't very skilful (apart from his obvious ability to kick long distances), couldn't defend, wasn't a fighter when needed like a Keane or Rooney, etc.

The media status he had/has probably makes people people remember him more fondly.
you never saw Beckham live apart from youtube highlights, accept it and move on.

Varun

Staff
Becks wasn't a fighter.

Stay tuned for the next pearl of wisdom from the poster in the episode titled: Giggsy - good player but lacked pace

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Becks wasn't a fighter.

Stay tuned for the next pearl of wisdom from the poster in the episode titled: Giggsy - good player but lacked pace
The fact he says that Beckham couldn't defend is just as amazing to me. One of the main reasons we were able to play such an attacking 442 (Scholes was more attacking in those days than he was later on) was because Becks had such an great work-rate both getting forward and helping defensively. It was like having a third central midfielder who was both a workhorse and an amazing playmaker, who also just happened to be the best crosser of all time and a fantastic set piece expert.

Becks 99-01 is up there amongst the best periods our players have had over the last 30 years. Unfortunately that peak only lasted three years and his performances before and after that period were definitely not at the same level of consistent quality, but those three years were freaking amazing. He was genuinely one of the best players in the world. Emphasis on 'players', not just wingers.

Pogba's stutter

David Beckham's aura was something else, you could see that even rival players were in awe of him and giving him rough treatment just in hope of getting in his highlights

Nori-

A few people unhappy I said Beckham wasn't a fighter.

Occasionally lashing out unnecesarily or kicking someone in a World Cup isn't a fighter.....It's stupidity and Beckham did that quiet often.

By fighter I mean someone who can lift people around him when the cards were against us with just his spirit or put fear in the opposition before a ball is even kicked. A Keane, Costa, Viera type. Beckham was not a fighter. Everyone seems better than they were when you look back through rose tinted glasses or watch "best of" videos on YouTube.

As for the Beckham/De Bruyne argument..........Simple question without being biased. You are picking your best 11 and you have to pick a peak Beckham or peak De Bruyne who do you go for? In my opinion, a peak De Bruyne is almost unplayable.

Oranges038

Occasionally lashing out unnecesarily or kicking someone in a World Cup isn't a fighter.....It's stupidity and Beckham did that quiet often.

By fighter I mean someone who can lift people around him when the cards were against us with just his spirit or put fear in the opposition before a ball is even kicked. A Keane, Costa, Viera type. Beckham was not a fighter. Everyone seems better than they were when you look back through rose tinted glasses or watch "best of" videos on YouTube.

As for the Beckham/De Bruyne argument..........Simple question without being biased. You are picking your best 11 and you have to pick a peak Beckham or peak De Bruyne who do you go for? In my opinion, a peak De Bruyne is almost unplayable.

Your opinion of Beckham is laughable at this stage.

As for this. The answer is Beckham for two reasons aside being the better player of the two.

1. He's more likely to be fit to play.
2. He's less likely go off injured during the game.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think this might be the worst, most incorrect, post that has ever been written on here.

Of all the absolute cack in this post, the fact that you're suggesting he wasn't a fighter really highlights that you don't seem to know anything about what kind of a player he was.
I doubt he has even watched more than a handful of games, probably just highlight reels that make people think Beckham was nothing but a dead ball merchant.

big rons sovereign

Wow. Tell me you're on a wum.
Otherwise it's clear you never saw him play.
Wow.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

You should actually be banned for spreading blatant lies.

mancan92

Beckham wasn't a fighter? :lol: :lol:

He was one of if not the most hardworking player on the pitch every match

BazzaBear

Definately Banned

Well, congratulations. You've doubled down and proven beyond a doubt that you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. His "quite often" lashing out and kicking people led to an astronomical 1 red card in 265 games for United, if that helps you.

stampedingviking

Beckham lifted both United and England not just by example but also verbally. He would fight for his team for every minute of every match. He carried England in so many matches.

De Bruyne wouldn't get in any team ahead of peak Beckham, I really don't think you've ever seen Beckham play.

Andersonson

What. The. Hell.

Was it anyone who gave the others a lift, it was him.

Did you actually see him play? Whats your age?

rhajdu

For me, Beckham embodies work ethic and drive. He became famous and succesful, but stayed humble and gave everything on the pitch. Beckham was - and still is - a leader through example.

OmarUnited4ever

Yikes!!!

I've watched hundreds of games for Beckham in United, R.Madrid & England shirts, the guy played as a man possessed, he was a workhorse, dogged, pushed and delivered sweet balls to the box and created a ton of chances.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Beckham is the most underated and overated player in football history.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Id say there is pretty much nothing to separate KdB and Beckham as overall players. Beckham had better crossing, long range passing and set pieces with his right foot, KdB is more two footed and probably plays with more power, but overall they'd be considered on a similar level in the world.

So as a "simple question", it would depend on a few things, but overall they are without a doubt on a similar level and you couldn't begrudge people for picking Beckham due to the extra set piece quality with the rest of their games being similar level overall.

Paul_Scholes18

Well it is always hard to tell. People get hyped up a lot after they stopped playing and people forget the flaws. At the same time people also do not remember how good some players have been as well.

I was young when Beckham played so do not remember him that much. Creat cross for sure and very hard working and could play multiple roles.

I feel if he played today he would have a similar role to Ward Prowse. Thus play in central midfield more with a great pass, but not go out on the wings for crosses as much as he did. Dominate on set pieces of course. Since his lack of pace would be a reason why managers would not use him as right midfielder since 4-4-2 is not that popular these days.

Beckhams won a lot but he never won anything for England. That is maybe why he will never be remembered as one of the all time great players.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Beckham is the most underated and overated player in football history.
Yep, it's quite funny.

His level of fame throughout the world is obviously higher than it 'should' be based on his actual ability. So he's overrated in that sense. But that that has led a significant portion of the actual footballing world to jump on the bandwagon of him being overrated and talk as if he was a decent player with a great cross and set piece ability and that was about it. In reality he was undoubtedly world class, one of the best players in the world for a few years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

There are other ways of saying you never watched Beckham play. If you came out and said “I never watched Beckham play” it would still be a less direct way of saying you’ve never seen him play than what you have demonstrated so far.

DCP

One of Becks biggest skills was to drag a team through the shit and make something happen when no one else could - see England vs Greece or United vs Madrid for proof of this.

Would be exceptional in the modern day 433, he could dictate play and tempo like the best of them.

His wand of a right foot and off the field status probably don’t help his footballing legacy. A whole load of people just think he was a free kick taker and seem to forget the impact her had on our team and some of the goals he scored.

Balljy

One of Beckham's biggest strengths was his ability to lift the team. The whole point about him not being a fighter can be disproved by watching the England vs Greece match as an example of how much of a leader / fighter on the pitch he was when the rest of the team were struggling. It was one of his biggest assets for us.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How good was Beckham. Very good. Real class. Not much pace, which the game now relies on so much.
But the clever think is to make the ball do the work. And Beckham use of the ball was excellent.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
When he was hitting the ball it was like he was bending his whole body around the ball, so so natural.
Yes. It was natural. But he used to practice his ball skills constantly.
Talent is of course important.
But so is application.