How good was Marco Delvecchio?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
not exactly a legend. But a good player who would probably be more appreciated today as a forward who can contribute quite a bit in build up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
better than Osvaldo, level below Inzaghi

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Did a lot of the dirty work to allow the likes of Montella, Totti, Batistuta, etc to shine.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Remember some guys

He was awesome for Zeman :drool: :drool: :drool:

Borninthe80ts

It felt like there was a lot of strikers like this around at the time that didn’t really get a great amount of goals but we’re still at great sides. Massaro, Casiraghi and Simone spring to mind. No saying they were bad players just contributed more than goals maybe.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Slightly better than Nick Barmby

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He had a tremendous, work ethic and strength, and combined that with excellent touch and dribbling ability.

Those skills meant that he contributed to Roma’s Scudetto win in 2001, and was a wonderful foil for Batistuta, Montella and Totti.

I think his best goal scoring season came in 1998/1999, and his goal output understandably reduced when Batistuta was signed in 2000/2001 and he took on more of a workhorse role.

IIRC he had a good record in derbies against Lazio, sometimes saving his best performances for those games.

Plus he scored in the Euro 2000 final with a well worked goal, a Totti back-heel, Pessotto cross and Delvecchio volley. If Italy won, Dino Zoff’s decision to start Delvecchio instead of Del Piero and Inzaghi in the final would have been talked about as a tactical master stroke. But sadly for Italy, Del Piero after coming on had 2 huge misses when clear on goal to wrap things up, and we know what happened after that.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I remembered him scoring a goal against Manchester United while on loan to Fulham and causing a bit of a stir with his trademark airplane celebration. Except that was Montella who played for Fulham, not Delvecchio, and also Montella never scored against United for Fulham. In summary, memory is a prison of crumbling walls.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Better than Wayne Rooney but not as good as Jeremie Aliadiere

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I have great memories of him but can't really remember watching him play.

ROFLUTION

Montella was better.
This. The 4 goals against Lazio must be some of the biggest derby-performances ever. And to round it all up, Totti lops Lazio for 5-1 - complete humiliation.

What a game that was. Great goals. Used to always sign Montella in Championship Manager 01/02. Totti's vision and passes was just out of this World. Hope we'll see one like him again.

Oranges038

He was a decent striker.

That was a brilliant Roma team that won Serie A in 2001 with Totti, Batistuta, Cafu, Emerson, Aldair, Samuel, Nakata etc and Capello as coach.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Scholesy used to get a lot of heat on here for his crazy opinions. However, he was absolutely adamant about Modric, whilst plenty mocked him for that. Funny old world.
He was the one player I think he was right about. Think he wanted a midfield of Modric, Norwood and Will Hughes :lol: Even Modric can't save that midfield. Then he wanted Delfouneso up top.

abundance

Supports
Inter
To give a reference to the younger lads here, I'd say that for how I remember him, he was very similar to Mandzukic.

Tall, slender but built like steel, extremely hardworking, fighter spirit, never shy of rough physical confrontation, very good technique for his size, fast (quite faster than Mandzukic actually), tactically very savvy.

Always running on the whole attacking front, contesting and cleaning balls for the other forwards, covering up, backtracking on the wings, helping the midfielders...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He wasn't big like Mandzukic, he was normal sized

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He played in a top 4 club on the peak of the Serie A as a league (basically every player wanted to play there, even if it was for a smaller club). He was clearly a very talented player, other wise he wouldn't had find his place in that league at that moment.

SATA

Roma really had some excellent strikers or produced their own in the 2000s, Totti of course the best among all

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Honestly pretty forgettable player given the quality of players he was competing alongside. Would be more appreciated today. It's actually nuts how football quality has dropped off since 2010 imo.

Yes, Messi and Ronaldo were out of this world but the preceding decade/s were so much better overall.