How good was Paul Gascoigne

Hackman2210

He was unbelievable in tottenhams cup run. Fantastic talent. Biggest mistake he ever made was signing for spurs. Fergie would have got more out of him. It’s a tragedy how his life has turned out.

Deery

Dreary
Bit of a dickhead though, kicking over a kid in front of a stand of thousands for a cheap laugh.

Trequarista10

Gazza tore it up in one or two games at Italia 90, the worst tournament in living memory, in Scotland and against Scotland, that was about it.

Massively overrated for some reason.

Checks Gazza's nationality, mystery about why he was so massively overrated solved.

The truth is we'll never know how good he really was because of the injury he sustained in 91, which in a cruel twist of fate was self-inflicted.

Certainly didn't come close to living up to the hype though.
Several months late but this is such a stupid post.

Numerous comments have suggested he is the most talented/gifted English player in the past few decades. How on earth you've managed to twist that to "he's overrated because hes English" is one of the most obviously illogical and self sabotaging arguments I've ever seen.

Lemme explain it to you like you're five. If Gazza is considered more talented/gifted than other English players, that means that all other English players are considered less talented than Gazza. It can't be overrating him because of his nationality, if it's simultaneously rating all other players of the same nationality as being less talented.

If anything, Gazza is perceived fondly because of an English tendency towards the underdog, the tragic hero, the damaged maverick. Nothing to do with arrogance or whatever the feck you're trying to imply.

There's this bizarre trend on this forum for casual xenophobia, towards the nationality of the team that this club is based in, that the majority of fans and users on this board are from. It's frankly appalling that the moderators have allowed this toxic culture to fester.

And no doubt even drawing attention to it will have the little anti Englanders out with their pitchforks and emojis. Pathetic.

Zevvythered

Probably nearly as good as Maradona, but had a shorter peak and even worse off-pitch attitude.
Taxi for Pretzels81!!!!>

couldn’t even lace Maradona‘s right boot never mind getting close to his left…

loved him as a player, but as a human being he was a scum bag, broke his wife’s fingers in a hotel in Scotland one night, and was known to be handy with his fists when it came to knocking woman about!!!

to watch him yesterday at ibrox yesterday was horrible.

padzilla

Hipster

Numerous comments have suggested he is the most talented/gifted English player in the past few decades. How on earth you've managed to twist that to "he's overrated because hes English" is one of the most obviously illogical and self sabotaging arguments I've ever seen.

Lemme explain it to you like you're five. If Gazza is considered more talented/gifted than other English players, that means that all other English players are considered less talented than Gazza. It can't be overrating him because of his nationality, if it's simultaneously rating all other players of the same nationality as being less talented.

If anything, Gazza is perceived fondly because of an English tendency towards the underdog, the tragic hero, the damaged maverick. Nothing to do with arrogance or whatever the feck you're trying to imply.

There's this bizarre trend on this forum for casual xenophobia, towards the nationality of the team that this club is based in, that the majority of fans and users on this board are from. It's frankly appalling that the moderators have allowed this toxic culture to fester.

And no doubt even drawing attention to it will have the little anti Englanders out with their pitchforks and emojis. Pathetic.
That's good stuff, whatever you're on.

Explaining it to me like I am five is no problem as long as you can keep up?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I've noticed this too. The danger of judging someone by YT clips instead of 90 mins.
Sorry but as someone who watched every single game that is available of Gazza i can assure you the doubters are the ones that are deluded as he was a special player no question about that.
Obviously the ones that think he was Maradona level are insane dont get me wrong.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Sorry but as someone who watched every single game that is available of Gazza i can assure you the doubters are the ones that are deluded as he was a special player no question about that.
Obviously the ones that think he was Maradona level are insane dont get me wrong.
Great player, no doubt. I just don't put him on a pedestal like some. He had many anonymous games for club and country.

His unfulfilled talent adds to his mystique and somewhat clouds judgement of him.

Big Andy

Bloke
Clips of him yesterday in the Rangers 150 years game.

So tragic, what a player he was and now he can barely move his legs to kick a ball. Literally hurt my heart watching it.
He's a 57 year old alcoholic, why did they treat him like a make a wish foundation winner? fecking diving over the ball like that keeper :lol:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He was incredibly talented but also had issues that no amount of management would deal with. At the risk of playing amateur shrink, his comments about how sexually attracted he was to Gary Lineker suggests to me what the root cause of his unhappiness was and I don't see SAF fixing that.

Flexdegea

Great player, no doubt. I just don't put him on a pedestal like some. He had many anonymous games for club and country.

His unfulfilled talent adds to his mystique and somewhat clouds judgement of him.

Exactly it. The wasted talent and hero like worship for crying that time.

No doubt the English love a flawed hero sort of person.

But the hype is immense

matt10000

...and he wasn't helped by the drinking culture and the likes of Chris Evans, Danny Baker.........

You look at the difference between Gazza and David Platt when they went to Italy.

Platt immersed himself into Italian culture and spoke fluent Italian within a year whereas Gazza could never speak more than a few sentences (in Italian or English) and brought his mate/drinking partner Jimmy Five Bellies with him.

Platt progressed in Italy and Gazza regressed, such a shame as Gazza had the talent.

Just goes to show hard hard work and professionalism beats talent EVERY time.

90 + 5min

He had talent and showed his worth here and there. However I also think he was a bit overrated. You could name lot of midfielders that were better. Just in England.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

There were better english players then him but IMO nobody was more spectacular, watched the vid multiple times in the process of creation and was never bored. Just an amazing footballer, one of those you are gladly paying the ticket for.
A lot of Spurs footage in the vid, @balaks you might enjoy this :)

Sweet Square

Bit of a dickhead though, kicking over a kid in front of a stand of thousands for a cheap laugh.

I might be misremembering but even his ''banter'' stuff while with England was just like him acting as an arsehole. Which tbh seems be a lot of footballers sense of humour.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

There were better english players then him but IMO nobody was more spectacular, watched the vid multiple times in the process of creation and was never bored. Just an amazing footballer, one of those you are gladly paying the ticket for.
Thanks mate that is awesome

Deery

Dreary
I might be misremembering but even his ''banter'' stuff while with England was just like him acting as an arsehole. Which tbh seems be a lot of footballers sense of humour.
Shitting in peoples shoes, setting of fire alarms and stuff, dickhead.

BuzzKillington

He was a man of his time. Lots of young men from a working class background of that time period were dickheads in pretty much a similar vein, I know, I was one.

As a footballer, anybody on here who doesn’t appreciate a central midfielder who can dribble through a midfield, nutmeg a player at will and make them look stupid, or put a pass on a sixpence from 40 yards is probably following the wrong sport. He was an amazing player and the YouTube videos don’t do him justice.

matt10000

Haha this was normal behaviour if you were one of the lads in those days. There was no internet and gaming wasn’t as mainstream so you had to be inventive.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For me, the most striking aspect of his game (given the sort of player he was) was his, call it what you will, basics.

He was brilliant on the ball, had a great burst on him, could beat his man for fun, etc. But he didn't overdo that thing - in fact, he was actually rather subtle for a player who had his extreme qualities on the ball. He would frequently keep it rather simple. And he would move right - as in, he would play a simple enough pass and move into the right space after playing it.

He did the basics right, you could say. And then he had an absolute ton of spectacular ball playing ability on top of those basics (which is pretty much ideal, I would say).

He was, at his best, the very opposite of a show pony. He used his brilliance on the ball to deadly effect.

To answer the question, at his best he was extremely good and any suggestion that he was "overrated" is bollocks.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Agree.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Great video really enjoyed it (watched the first twenty mins, planning on watching the rest over the weekend)! Really captures his well rounded skill set - long range passes, one-twos, jinxing runs, cheeky tricks and those crunching tackles etc. Those Cruyff turns though :drool: .

@Chesterlestreet is spot on with his post about the simplicity in his game, relatively for a creative flair player that is.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Clips of him yesterday in the Rangers 150 years game.

So tragic, what a player he was and now he can barely move his legs to kick a ball. Literally hurt my heart watching it.
I saw the clip of him ‘scoring’, first a misskick, then the defender teed it up for him and he hit the slowest shot which the goalkeeper deliberately dived over. It’s the kinda things you do to make a disabled kid happy. Seeing a grown man who used to be one of the worlds best in his time, is pretty sad. I would not be surprised to hear he’s kicked the bucket in the next year or 2

Devil81

I saw the clip of him ‘scoring’, first a misskick, then the defender teed it up for him and he hit the slowest shot which the goalkeeper deliberately dived over. It’s the kinda things you do to make a disabled kid happy. Seeing a grown man who used to be one of the worlds best in his time, is pretty sad. I would not be surprised to hear he’s kicked the bucket in the next year or 2
That's exactly the clip I also watched.

Crazy his rapid decline.