How good was peak Kaka?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Even though they are my rivals - AC Milan Vs Liverpool is my favourite game of the sport when I take my United Sunglasses off.

What a game. If I had to help a person to watch one match to get in to Football as a sport more, it will always be that game. Wonderful passes, tackles, goals, assists, freekicks, penalties, saves - that game had everything.

The class of Milan got outdone by a group of lower class level players purely due to the mentality of the team, from 3-0 down.

Last edited:

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Even though they are my rivals - AC Milan Vs Liverpool is my favourite game of the sport when I take my United Sunglasses off.

What a game. If I had to help a person to watch one match to get in to Football as a sport more, it will always be that game. Wonderful passes, tackles, goals, assists, freekicks, penalties, saves - that game had everything.

The class of Milan got outdone by a group of lower class level players purely due to the mentality of the team, from 3-0 down.
This. First Champions League final I've watched live. Nothing has topped that game as a neutral.

OmarUnited4ever

Well, a few can certainly challenge him in this regard — L. Ronaldo, Blokhin, Boniek, Bale (although he is worryingly close to the "kick and run" category)... but I doubt that there were a player who could easily claim to be significantly faster.
I think Kaka, Giggs & R9 (pre that knee injury) were the 3 fastest players with the ball (close control and running fast).

Messi comes after them but he would usually do his quick bursts in short distances, unlike the other 3 who would do it on a longer distance.

GueRed

The 1990's winger Ryan Giggs is still the fastest player i've seen with the ball.

KeanoMagicHat

He was very good obviously, but no better than a lot of players who followed him and was lucky he didn't clash with peak Messi-Ronaldo for his Ballon d'Or. Was he any better than Robben, Ribery, Iniesta, Neymar, Suarez and others who haven't won the Ballon d'Or? Probably not, in my opinion, around the same level.

Cloud7

Kaka was an absolute monster. One of the best players to watch in his prime

Cloud7

Agreed. It kinda sucks that it was Liverpool that did it but that was an amazing match and an amazing achievement. I would have been able to enjoy it way more if it was someone else besides him.

Similar to the “AGUEROOOO” moment. That’s probably one of the most epic moments in the history of football but it came at our expense so naturally I can’t enjoy it at all. Even if it was still City but the other team was someone like Pool or Chelsea I could have thought “Wow, that was really something“ but alas it’s mostly a painful memory.

Spoony

The People's President
Dammit though your master plan almost came to fruition

It was a fluke on my part. A few people helped but it was all very organic, someone linked to a news site(I think..) and it caught fire. Ended up in the papers, was mentioned by Lawrenson on the Beeb and shockingly even Berlusconi responded to the rumours! Shows the power of this site. We really ought to take rumours with a pinch of salt.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It was a fluke on my part. A few people helped but it was all very organic, someone linked to a news site(I think..) and it caught fire. Ended up in the papers, was mentioned by Lawrenson on the Beeb and shockingly even Berlusconi responded to the rumours! Shows the power of this site. We really ought to take rumours with a pinch of salt.
Fluke or not, it was pretty funny. One of the greatest moments of this site. Just goes to show how lazy football journalists are when it comes to checking

Spoony

The People's President
Fluke or not, it was pretty funny. One of the greatest moments of this site. Just goes to show how lazy football journalists are when it comes to checking

Geebs, I was stunned as much as anyone. But yeah they're very lazy and fans will believe anything. This place could be the hub of rumours, imagine if they(rumours) were co-ordinated.

rooneyberbatov

He's one of the best players ever. Was my favorite non-United player to watch. Absolutely sublime.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Football was better in the 90's and early 00's. Now it sucks..because we've stopped winning.

TheLord

Football was better in the 90's and early 00's. Now it sucks..because we've stopped winning.
Probably also because there were always at least half a dozen players around who were mesmerising in their gameplay.

The last player who mesmerised me with his "flair' was the Messi of a few years back (may be Hazard and Neymar for a tad bit). But these genuinely beautiful players to watch are rare in today's game.

BerryBerryShrew

I think Kaka, Giggs & R9 (pre that knee injury) were the 3 fastest players with the ball (close control and running fast).

Messi comes after them but he would usually do his quick bursts in short distances, unlike the other 3 who would do it on a longer distance.
Overmars deserves a mention. And Robben as well.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I will say though that his assist in the 05 final is the best through ball i have seen to this day.

GlasgowCeltic

Didi Hamann with a massive performance off the bench to shut Kaka down if I remember right

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen

Maicon was pretty fast back in the day but Bale absolutely torched him. Robben was incredible. Alphonso Davies is a nightmare but that is perhaps speed without the ball. Haaland and Mbappe have to be up there, Coman as well but same thing in their scenario. Obafemi Martins, Walcott. I've only seen clips but Caniggia, Eusebio and Pelé are all supposed to have been sub-11 seconds sprinters and could move fast with the ball as well. What Kaka did to Messi, with the ball, is of course ridiculous.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Genius, I started wearing those fecking Jesus shirts because he did.

madzo2007

Kaka just glided past people effortlessly making it look so easy. He never seemed to score a simple goal.

Love watching him, shame injuries ruined him a bit.

tomaldinho1

It was much more relatable - there were normal people, nutters, much more leeway for individuals and risk takers and a lot more genuine fan interaction. Now professional footballers are a different breed, sheltered and social media trained from a young age, they are almost a vacuum of personality in most cases...you can even pinpoint the moment it changed, when Rooney tweeted Rio about a lift :lol:

norm87cro

Let me put it this way. When Real bought Kaka (2007 Golden Ball) and Ronaldo (2008 Golden Ball) in 2009 you could not tell who was going to be the better player for them

redrobed

In terms of peak I’d have him 2nd tier with likes of Pele, Messi, Maradonna behind top tier of CR7/Besty - obviously in terms of longevity he’s level(s) below that 2nd one as well. Cracking little player though.

MattJ166

I think he falls into a very unlucky category where he was really the last of the players who had unbelievable but very short peak before the duopoly of Messi & ronaldo happened so isn't as highly praised as he probably should be (Especially by those who never actually watched him).

For me he was a much more agile, fast and technically gifted version of a peak Yaya Toure (minus some of the physicality and add some poise obviously) the way he could just run through an entire midfield and defence. He was a monster and I'm glad I was alive to witness his peak.

Jackal981

In terms of peak I’d have him 2nd tier with likes of Pele, Messi, Maradonna behind top tier of CR7/Besty - obviously in terms of longevity he’s level(s) below that 2nd one as well. Cracking little player though.
Little ? In no way shape or form Kaka is “little”. Man is 6ft tall at least.

quethenoo

It's probably been mentioned but Kaka absolutely tore us a new in 2007 I think? He was right up there at that point. Magnificent player who just seemed to glide across the pitch.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I'm diehard AC Milan fan.
I would say Kaka is one of the best playmakers in the world during 2004-2009 periods.He was a complete playmaker fast,strong,elegance,great passing skills and shooting skills.
Howewer he was a player that could be shine brightest only when his body conditioning was completely 100 percents,since his playing styles relied a lot on physical attributes like pace,body balance and accleration.If you had seen a lot of Milan games his peak periods,you would have seen when he wasn't in his best conditions or fitness he played like nothing or even terribly especially a lot of Sirie A games that sometimes made me mad a lot.I'm still sure that if he had performed more consitency and not used too much his athleticism in his game in league ,we would have won more than 1 league title for sure.

When he was in perfect conditions or fully fit,like I have said before in the first paragraph.He was so unstoppable...possibly one of the best performances from CAM/SS positions in this era.
He was so impressive in a lot of UCL campaigns like 2004/2005,2005/2006,2006/2007(god level) but in the league campagins compared him with Totti,Ronaldinho or even Henry,I would honestly from diehard Milan fanboy that his performances in league was inferior to all of them(still great but not as great as others think),the things that upgrade his status to one of the best players in the world,like I have said,UCL

I can see his flaws
1.He was a footballer that relied a lot on athleticism (that effect him in later stages) to bring his best form.
2.His league consistency wasn't great enough to be called"I'm the best in the world"(espcially 2006/2007)
3.Anchelotti used him too much especially last two seasons with Milan.
4.He played too much direct sometimes and wanted a bit of specific system that can supported his potentials and abilities(Anchelotti's system).I couldn't think posession football system could bring out of his best forms.He was most suitable in direct,fast and pacey system/tactics.He wasn't a player that can suitable in every tactics.

ClubSeasonLeagueCupContinental[nb 1]Other[nb 2]TotalRef.
DivisionAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoals
Totals592321750401712547
Totals1937010062235227095
Totals85231012451012029
Totals7524317825
Career totals461149449102314619654208
São Paulo2001Brasileirão271271501645517
AC Milan2003–04Serie A301040104104514[244]
2004–053671013210519[244]
2005–063514201254919[244]
2006–073182015104818[244]
2007–0830150082324119[244]
2008–09311610403616[244]
Real Madrid2009–10La Liga2581071339[244]
2010–111473030207[245]
2011–12275408310408[246]
2012–131932161275[247]
AC Milan2013–14Serie A3071062379[248]
São Paulo2014Brasileirão1920051243[244]
Orlando City2015MLS289213010[249][250]
201624900249[249][250]
201723610246[249][250]

In fact, he played really well in league system but he could have been even greater,if he was more consistency especially in 2006/2007 seasons(his best form in UCL) that some of his league matches performances in this seasons can be even called "mediocre".

AC Milan places in Sirie A.
2003/2004 1st
2004/2005 2nd
2005/2006 3rd
2006/2007 4th
2007/2008 5th
2008/2009 3rd

League rankings can tell somethings about that squad.
I will tell some important players details
Dida-too much inconsistent and error prones
Maldini-after 2004/2005 Maldini had a hard time to dealt with knee injuries plus with his age he couldn't played in every league matches.
Nesta-injury prone especially after 2006
Seedorf,Pirlo and Gattuso-three of them were the most consistency players of that Anchelotti's era.
Sheva-in 2003 he scored only 5 goals in league,he was a bit like Kaka,played better in tournaments(UCL)
Kaka-The superstar on this team but sometimes not consistency in league system plus he was a player born for tournament football that didn't played frequently(like UCL) not the tournament that need consistency like 38matches Sirie-A.

Another reason for this Milan have won only 1 title is their squad was more suitable in tournament football not 34/38matches system and Anchelotti and their squad was about more focused on UCL campaigns.

If I rate him,I will rate him like this
league system:he played really well but sometimes a lot of inconsistency forms,so I will give him 7/10
UCL:His favourite tournament but if you look neatly,you will see he played really well in 3seasons
2004/2005-great
2005/2006-very great
2006/2007-god level performances
Other than that:not mediocre but not excellent as well
I will give 8/10.

His best performances in my opinion(only in UCL)
vs Celtics

vs Man Utd

vs Liverpool 2005

vs Bayern

vs Schake 04

In fact even his peak I rated him as inferior to peak Ronaldinho, peak Rivaldo or even peak Henry can be considered better(but I love him the most).
In 2006/2007 he can be considered as the best players in the world(I consider him as the best).
He is one of the most my favourite players ever.

From Diehard Milan fanboy.

Kaka peak

Reactions: harms

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Has there ever been a faster player with the ball at his feet?
A lot of contenders can be challenged him...
Add from my mate @harms list
-Florian Albert
-Gento
-Cryuff
-George Best
-Adama Traore
-Mbappe
-Robben
-Davies(Bayern)
-Lato(during world cup74) was also fast as hell.
-Overmars
and this former fat president