Television How I Met Your Mother

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
White text will show up if you quote though even if the person quoting don't want it to. Adding spoiler tags ([.spoiler][/.spoiler] - without the dots) isn't really that hard. Hardly "innovative" either, considering it was what was done before the spoiler tags were implemented. ;)

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Been defending How I met your mother ever since it's taken a dip, but this season I can't do much at all. It feels like a really poor opening season, so amateurish.

JP77

Shock horror, another show that the Cafe continue to watch yet shit on from a massive height :lol:

Good season so far, certainly the right choice in this being the final season, will miss the show though. I'd be shocked if Ted ended up with Robin, people need to let that go once and for all. I'm confident that the mother is going to die though, almost everything seems to point to that happening now. Unless they go down the route of him finally ending up happy and her not dying.

Liam147

On Probation
I'm not sure there'll be a massive twist. Can't see Ted ending up with Robin at all. As people have said, the only way it could happen is if she died young, and Robin and Ted got together later on. The kids have always wanted to know what the mother was like, so eventually Ted sits them down and explains how they met, hence the starting point of meeting Robin.

Not sure Ted would would refer to their step-mum as aunt Robin though.

Anyway, that's old ground. I've enjoyed the new series. I've reset my standards (and I'd advise other people to do the same - it's much more enjoyable) and as a result you're not expecting S3/4 level of quality.

Hal9000

Hasn't it been established that Robin can't have kids and that she also never has kids of her own?

Although have we ever seen Barney or Robin in one of those flashforwards that we've seen Marshall and Lilly in a few times?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Shock horror, another show that the Cafe continue to watch yet shit on from a massive height :lol:

Good season so far, certainly the right choice in this being the final season, will miss the show though. I'd be shocked if Ted ended up with Robin, people need to let that go once and for all. I'm confident that the mother is going to die though, almost everything seems to point to that happening now. Unless they go down the route of him finally ending up happy and her not dying.

I agreed with you with your first line, how it is typical Caf watching something so they can just rant about how awful it is. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Really is that simple.

But telling people to let that go isn't correct. Why would they spend every season going back and forth with the Ted and Robin story, all for it to be impossible? Mix that together with the constant doubt between Barney and Robin and it is entirely possible they (Ted and Robin) end up together again, you just can't call it.

JP77

I agreed with you with your first line, how it is typical Caf watching something so they can just rant about how awful it is. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Really is that simple.

But telling people to let that go isn't correct. Why would they spend every season going back and forth with the Ted and Robin story, all for it to be impossible? Mix that together with the constant doubt between Barney and Robin and it is entirely possible they (Ted and Robin) end up together again, you just can't call it.

I think you can call it. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's highly unlikely now. Imagine this.

Ted finally meets the apparent 'one'. The mother to his children. The woman this entire show has been building up to us finally seeing. He falls massively in love with her and has children. She dies. He then decides that actually, she wasn't the 'one'. Instead, Robin was always the 'one'. He then tells his children this entire story, but hey guys, your mother died but it's okay because I ended up with the woman I actually always loved, which btw, wasn't your mother. Meanwhile, Barney just goes on as a playboy into the future and I live happily ever after with Aunt Robin.

It just doesn't work. You can only backtrack so much and I think they're actually at a stage now where it'd potentially ruin everything they've built up to if they did that. The reality is that it should end with Marshall and Lily together with their child. Barney and Robin married and happy. And Ted finally finding the one and having children. The only question mark for me will be whether after 9 seasons they finally have him finish happy with a woman or whether they have her die, but him still having his kids.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

The show is shit and this season has been poor to say the least. I don't even know why I continue to watch this but I suppose it has something to do with seeing it through to the end having watched it for 8 seasons.

I think people would let it go if the writers would let it go instead the Ted-Robin angle has pretty much appeared in every season even after they have apparently let go. Even before Barney and Robin's marriage ffs

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I think you can call it. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's highly unlikely now. Imagine this.

Ted finally meets the apparent 'one'. The mother to his children. The woman this entire show has been building up to us finally seeing. He falls massively in love with her and has children. She dies. He then decides that actually, she wasn't the 'one'. Instead, Robin was always the 'one'. He then tells his children this entire story, but hey guys, your mother died but it's okay because I ended up with the woman I actually always loved, which btw, wasn't your mother. Meanwhile, Barney just goes on as a playboy into the future and I live happily ever after with Aunt Robin.

So basically what you're saying is: you can only love one person in your life?

I'm sure people who have been in multiple marriages have said that each woman they marry is "the one".

If this doesn't happen (Ted and Robin together) then you made a good call, if it does happen then you will look a little foolish and vice versa for me. That's the beauty of stupid tv programmes eh!

Cina

I still watch it for the same reasons I kept watching The Office and Dexter, because it's tough to stop watching a show you once enjoyed and have invested so much time into over the last 4-5 years. Plus, it's still possible that we could get a good resolution at the end of it (like The Office), although it's also possible we could get a terrible one (like Dexter)

Either way, despite not enjoying it anymore, I still find myself wanting to finish the damn thing off.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Hasn't it been established that Robin can't have kids and that she also never has kids of her own?

Although have we ever seen Barney or Robin in one of those flashforwards that we've seen Marshall and Lilly in a few times?
She's also been called aunt Robin for many many seasons by Saget.

It's better to just give up watching this. You feel much better. Comedies pretty much always end when suddenly someone has a baby after 5-7 seasons. 30 Rock did it correctly. Parks and Rec as well by getting rid of the character that will have a baby.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde

I have to ask, what other shows do you like? What aspects of the show do you think are good? Do you find it funny?

JP77

I have to ask, what other shows do you like? What aspects of the show do you think are good? Do you find it funny?

Let me guess, because I think it's been a good season, my taste is shit and I don't know what good television is? (In fairness I do seem to like a few shows that quite a few on here find shit :lol:)

gormless

Let me guess, because I think it's been a good season, my taste is shit and I don't know what good television is? (In fairness I do seem to like a few shows this quite a few on here find shit :lol:)

In all seriousness, and not trying to be a dick or call you out on your taste, what bits do you find funny? I don't think I've laughed fully out loud at it since the Bachelor Party episode

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Let me guess, because I think it's been a good season, my taste is shit and I don't know what good television is? (In fairness I do seem to like a few shows that quite a few on here find shit :lol:)
I'm genuinely wondering, because I really can't see what parts of the show are good any longer so it'd be interesting to see which parts you like. If I wanted to mock you for your taste the "Good season so far" would've been enough to do it. ;)

JP77

In all seriousness, and not trying to be a dick or call you out on your taste, what bits do you find funny? I don't think I've laughed fully out loud at it since the Bachelor Party episode

You seriously want me to start dissecting every episode and pointing out every single line and scene I've laughed at? I just find it funny in general. Not everything they do, but a good chunk of it and think the mix in the more serious side of things well. It's not for everybody and it's not as good as it once was, but it's still good for me.

Fair dues if you disagree though, different tastes and what not mate.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You seriously want me to start dissecting every episode and pointing out every single line and scene I've laughed at? I just find it funny in general. Not everything they do, but a good chunk of it and think the mix in the more serious side of things well. It's not for everybody and it's not as good as it once was, but it's still good for me.

Fair dues if you disagree though, different tastes and what not mate.

One example of funny scene from this season would be enough I think.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I think the only time I had a chuckle this season was when Barney said something about King Joffrey being a wise and just ruler.

It finally happened. After 8.5 seasons I finally lost the will to watch any more. I just can't bring myself to suffer through another episode.

Anyone want to fill me in on what happened?! :D

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Actually I thought this was a decent episode. Probably the best of the season so far

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I thought it was too. Wasn't amazing, but it seems to be much of an improvement. I actually found some of it quite funny. Pointless in terms of the finale though.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Lily's "mad face" :lol: Christ, she's bad.

Decent episode apart from that. Some kinda funny moments. As Red Shorts says though, completely irrelevant in terms of the story of the show which further underlines how they're just milking it at the moment

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I don't get all the Lily hatred to be fair. I quite enjoy her angry face. Her "thank you Lyle" makes me want to slit my wrists now, but it was a teeny bit funny the first time. I do admit to liking the "sun uf a beetch" line too, even if it is a little overused.

Bestie07

Why does the story never move forward? When they showed his future wife last season and in the first episode this season. They were supposed to meet in Farhampton, and they were already in Farhampton with the wedding in two days. I thought this will pass quickly and there will finally be progress. But now they are stretching each episode to (what?) 2 hour periods of time. It's beyond irritating. Enough of this BS already.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Why does the story never move forward? When they showed his future wife last season and in the first episode this season. They were supposed to meet in Farhampton, and they were already in Farhampton with the wedding in two days. I thought this will pass quickly and there will finally be progress. But now they are stretching each episode to (what?) 2 hour periods of time. It's beyond irritating. Enough of this BS already.

I imagine this season will be like the others: 24 episodes long. I'm expecting him to meet her properly after the mid season ep, so they are just going to drag this one out big time.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Lily's "mad face" :lol: Christ, she's bad.

I caught an old episode whilst flicking through channels the other day which featured her "you're dead to me" look. She really is a terrible actress and her 'son of a bitch' catchphrase is just horrible.

Bestie07

I imagine this season will be like the others: 24 episodes long. I'm expecting him to meet her properly after the mid season ep, so they are just going to drag this one out big time.
Looks like it. They'll probably do a double header with the wedding around mid-season which ends with him meeting the mother. If they don't meet even then, I'll give up on this show for good, 10 episodes from the end, it's become that frustrating watching them go around in circles.

gormless

Looks like it. They'll probably do a double header with the wedding around mid-season which ends with him meeting the mother. If they don't meet even then, I'll give up on this show for good, 10 episodes from the end, it's become that frustrating watching them go around in circles.

Fairly sure that the entire series is based around the wedding.