Television How I Met Your Mother

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't get all the Lily hatred to be fair. I quite enjoy her angry face. Her "thank you Lyle" makes me want to slit my wrists now, but it was a teeny bit funny the first time. I do admit to liking the "sun uf a beetch" line too, even if it is a little overused.
Isn't it Linus?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think last two episodes (05&06) were decent, I actually chuckled few times. My only worry is that this season could have more than 45 episodes(not really), considering the last two episodes were scenes taken 46 and 45 hours before the wedding.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think last two episodes (05&06) were decent, I actually chuckled few times. My only worry is that this season could have more than 45 episodes(not really), considering the last two episodes were scenes taken 46 and 45 hours before the wedding.
Nah, they'll have to skip forward a few hours to account for the sleep, and some of the scenes are already shown in the flashbacks from previous seasons.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I thought there are still 45 episodes left in this season. lol

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nah, they'll have to skip forward a few hours to account for the sleep, and some of the scenes are already shown in the flashbacks from previous seasons.
I thought there are still 45 episodes left in this season. lol
:lol: If there were another 44-45 episodes left, at least the good thing about watching Lily sleep for 20+ episodes would be that we don't have to watch her trying to act.

Judging by this thread's lowly placing on page 3, I take it most have stopped watching it too. I gave up a few weeks ago.

For fear of asking the world's most obvious question... have I missed anything?

gormless

Still watching. I complain but I know I'm gonna finish it off. Invested too much time in it other wise.

Nothing had really happened. They made up new problems to solve in the same episode (Barney and Robin can't work together as a couple... oh wait yes they can). Basic timewasting, but at the end of the latest episode Lily found out about the Judges job so hopefully it means they're gonna start addressing one of the main plot points now. The Mother has vanished again. Latest episode did make me smile in a few places in fairness, even if it was filler

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Judging by this thread's lowly placing on page 3, I take it most have stopped watching it too. I gave up a few weeks ago.

For fear of asking the world's most obvious question... have I missed anything?
I still think plenty of people watch it but don't bother complaining that much anymore.

No. Absolutely nothing at all. Like Gormless said, they're inventing new things that happened in the past every episode and have the current story evolve around that. It's the very definition of treading water.

The laugh track has annoyed the feck out of me in recent episodes. I've largely learned to ignore it after watching plenty of sitcoms - but then one of you twats pointed out how overused it is now and I started noticing it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I still think plenty of people watch it but don't bother complaining that much anymore.

No. Absolutely nothing at all. Like Gormless said, they're inventing new things that happened in the past every episode and have the current story evolve around that. It's the very definition of treading water.

The laugh track has annoyed the feck out of me in recent episodes. I've largely learned to ignore it after watching plenty of sitcoms - but then one of you twats pointed out how overused it is now and I started noticing it.

You're welcome :p

I've still be watching and it's still been uneventful rubbish, but after so much time I'm inevitably going to finish it, it's the same as with Dexter.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
You all will be excited to know they're working on a spinoff, How I Met Your Father. If it happens, supposedly you'll meet the lead of that one during Mother's series finale. So I read yesterday.

Cina

You all will be excited to know they're working on a spinoff, How I Met Your Father. If it happens, supposedly you'll meet the lead of that one during Mother's series finale. So I read yesterday.

Liam147

On Probation
Poor, poor last episode. They've painted themselves into a corner with the 'Thank you Linus' line, which just is not funny.

The proposal seemed really rushed and manufactured. He said 'not two years down the road', I could've sworn they'd had a kid at that point, so to introduce the proposal seemed a bit out of nowhere, and it didn't seem quite as momentous as it should've been.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not watched the latest one yet, but the one before with the whole "you own me a no questions asked" was typical HIMYM rubbish.

1. Introduce a seemingly long established group trait that's never been seen before
2. Have every character use that trait in their own separate way without moving the story on
3. Conclude with heartfelt 'these are such good people' scene.
4. Never again make use of the long established group trait you just introduced 25 minutes ago

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Terrible episode. The last couple of episodes had been decent but this was back to their usual stuff.

They should just give up trying to make it funny.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
They dug their own grave by limiting this last season to the wedding. It really makes them think outside the box and come up with retarded ideas like this one.

gormless

I do want to see more of their future relationship. We basically know how and where they meet now anyway. However, tacking scenes on at the end of episodes like that in an attempt to add emotion doesn't really work. I really wish they hadn't limited themselves to the wedding, as they've limited themselves to brief flashforwards.
I did like the proclaimers call back though.

Next episode isn't gonna advance plot either

It's a flashback episode apparently. They've also got a "SlapsGiving 3" episode lined up soon, so hopefully Marshall will be back soon.

Liam147

On Probation
Not watched the latest one yet, but the one before with the whole "you own me a no questions asked" was typical HIMYM rubbish.

1. Introduce a seemingly long established group trait that's never been seen before
2. Have every character use that trait in their own separate way without moving the story on
3. Conclude with heartfelt 'these are such good people' scene.
4. Never again make use of the long established group trait you just introduced 25 minutes ago
Blitzgiving was a horrendous example of that. Hated that episode. For starters it was after the retarded gap that they had mid-season, so you were picking up in the middle of a season, having forgotten a lot of what had happened. They introduced a main character who was always around - except we'd never seen him before, and we'd never see him ever again. The catchphrase used throughout (Awww maaaaan!) wasn't even remotely funny. The concept of the 'blitz' was awful. It was also a terrible name. The fact that they thought it could be a real thing in real life was also a joke. Quite possibly their worst episode.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Poor, poor last episode. They've painted themselves into a corner with the 'Thank you Linus' line, which just is not funny.

The proposal seemed really rushed and manufactured. He said 'not two years down the road', I could've sworn they'd had a kid at that point, so to introduce the proposal seemed a bit out of nowhere, and it didn't seem quite as momentous as it should've been.
Well I guess they could feasibly cover that by saying they've already had the kid. I'm sure I saw one of the creators say one of the main reasons they went for the format of the wedding over the final season was because the kid in 2015, so it'd be a strange and lazy oversight for them to make given the entire final season was purposefully shaped due to that plot point.

Liam147

On Probation
Well I guess they could feasibly cover that by saying they've already had the kid. I'm sure I saw one of the creators say one of the main reasons they went for the format of the wedding over the final season was because the kid in 2015, so it'd be a strange and lazy oversight for them to make given the entire final season was purposefully shaped due to that plot point.
I'd be surprised, solely because it doesn't seem to fit the romantic plan Ted has. Find the girl, get married, have kids. Rather than have kids, then decide to marry her.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
What a surprise, the best episode of this entire season, and it was done.. wait for it... OUTSIDE the wedding. They finally realised they couldn't make stupid episode after stupid pointless episode in that building, well done HIMYM writers for giving us a tiny bit of hope this season could end fairly well.

gormless

Thought it was really good. Found the challenge accepted things amusing, Bryan Cranston, Mother appearance, Marshall wasn't in a car not interacting with anybody... I enjoyed it.
Mother seems annoyingly perfect right now though

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah they are milking her perfect compatibility with Ted too much, and making her out to seem this brilliant person non-stop, like helping Lilly in the first episode on the train, and now convincing Barney to go after Robin. But it's actually a breath of fresh air seeing the mother altogether, so I tend to ignore this.

Brophs

The One and Only
I actually wondered if they'd start writing the mother into flashbacks so that she was actually part of their lives all along, but thought it'd be too daft, even for this show.

Liam147

On Probation
Interesting episode. Nice that Segel found a gap in his schedule to be part of an episode. Nice that they had Wal-Bryan Cranston in, nice that the mother came back. Weird that they revisited Ted and Robin AGAIN. The time frame also seemed a little ambiguous to me. Anyone else? Surely this was in between the time when Robin had broken up with the most forgettable character a sitcom's ever had, Ted wasn't with Victoria, Barney wasn't with the stripper, and hadn't yet got with Robin. Small time frame to work with.

Brophs

The One and Only
The very fact they are suggests there's a 'twist' coming.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I've been saying this all along: They keep poking at this Robin and Ted idea. Surely they are developing this into some sort of twist where they eventually end up together, or the mother passes away? They are constantly developing it in different ways, and Ted's realisation that if he had made his move sooner that he would have got Robin instead of Barney just shows he still hasn't dropped his feelings about her. Just show us the ending and put us out of our misery. Now waiting for the mind-numbing wedding scenes again, and for more pointless, unfunny events.

Bape

I've been saying this all along: They keep poking at this Robin and Ted idea. Surely they are developing this into some sort of twist where they eventually end up together, or the mother passes away? They are constantly developing it in different ways, and Ted's realisation that if he had made his move sooner that he would have got Robin instead of Barney just shows he still hasn't dropped his feelings about her. Just show us the ending and put us out of our misery. Now waiting for the mind-numbing wedding scenes again, and for more pointless, unfunny events.

It's to tie up the loose ends between them. There is literally no chance Ted will end up with Robin at this stage. It's tedious but so is the whole show at this point

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's to tie up the loose ends between them. There is literally no chance Ted will end up with Robin at this stage. It's tedious but so is the whole show at this point

They won't end up together in the next 10 years, no. But after that who knows what the writers will do.

Is it possible that after all this, HIMYM will have one of the best (most shocking?) endings a sitcom has ever had?

They easily have a chance to do this considering how shocking(ly bad) this finale season has been.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The mother being perfect-ish is a bit annoying but not much of a surprise. Ted has wanked over Robin for so many years now, that the writers probably feel the need to lend some credibility to the mother.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The first half or so was good, I liked the Barney challenges bit. Like someone else said, they finally took it away from the setting of the wedding and it improved no end. Bryan Cranston was good, too.

As soon as the mother came into though it just became meh, and still pissing around with Ted and Robin is just stupid.

If they do decide to put some shit twist in and have them end up together it will be worse than Dexter is a lumberjack.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I watched up until the episode were Barney tells Ted he saw him with Robin (episode 3 I believe) it feels like a chore watching them, is it worth catching up ???

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I watched up until the episode were Barney tells Ted he saw him with Robin (episode 3 I believe) it feels like a chore watching them, is it worth catching up ???
Most people only watch this to see the show through after watching it for so many years. If you are one of those then you should catch up.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah exactly. I'm in it just for the finale, and the fact I can't leave things unfinished.

Looks like we will finally be seeing more of the mother next ep, it's called "bass player wanted".

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Most people only watch this to see the show through after watching it for so many years. If you are one of those then you should catch up.

That is what kept me going thus far, I thought the show would end once we saw her. They have managed to drag it on and lose what made it great.