Television How I Met Your Mother

Liam147

On Probation
Like I said before, they might leave a lot of doors open so if they wanted they could pick it up after its final season, which by the way TB, is the next one.

You guys might want to spoiler yours posts too, it's not out here in England for weeks if not months.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Yup, the show has been rubbish for a while. I'd heard that they showed the mother in the last episode, that's why I kept going, but nope, they bring back Victoria who we already know is not the fecking mother.

Not to mention all these red herrings they'll never be able to explain, like the mother being in Ted's class and being Rachel Bilson's roommate.
Yeah, looking forward to how they fit those things in now.

Thought it was an OK finale.

Brophs

The One and Only
Like I said before, they might leave a lot of doors open so if they wanted they could pick it up after its final season, which by the way TB, is the next one.

You guys might want to spoiler yours posts too, it's not out here in England for weeks if not months.
Nein. New spoiler policy.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Right, I'm done with this show. What a shower of shite that was, both from a comedy, and storyline perspective.

The best thing about it was the Cat Stevens song they played at the end, which has always been a personal favourite of mind. Other then that, just a terrible 45 minutes of television.

Hitchcocker

Yep. Good finale.
For a moment with Barney Quinn together, I thought the only reason Robin not getting tied down with Barney was because she was dying.
What the what?! :eek: When did the show mention that?
I think it's probably the worst show that I watch on a regular basis. I genuinely do not care what happens to each and every character.
You're mental. I was almost depressed when I found out about the
engagement with the hot stripper.I can only hope that Robin and Barney stay together.

To me, the only flaw in the show is that I do not give a shit who or how Ted meets the mother. I am more concerned about Marshall, Barney and Robin.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Robin and Lily are two of the worst scripted characters on television. It really says alot that two other characters in Quinn and Zoey, walked into the show and took the spotlight off those two in a big way. It's already bad enough that Barney and Marshall completely overshadow Ted, but to rely so heavily on them to make the show work is down to nothing more than poor actor choice and shit writing.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
What the what?! :eek: When did the show mention that?

You're mental. I was almost depressed when I found out about the
engagement with the hot stripper.I can only hope that Robin and Barney stay together.

To me, the only flaw in the show is that I do not give a shit who or how Ted meets the mother. I am more concerned about Marshall, Barney and Robin.
:wenger:

Anyway this show has been declining quite rapidly for the last 3 seasons. I genuinely had no recollection of who Victoria even was tbh, and Quinn is a better looking, more interesting character than Robyn- so that ending was annoying. The actors also seem like they care less and less about the show, it's all looking a bit plastic these days. Though maybe that's because the writers have long since stopped developing it- or them.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I really don't know why I watch this show. I liked Marshall to begin with, but his character has stagnated. Barney is alright. I hate that they slap him a girlfriend every now and then. Robin, Lilly, and Ted are just too boring or annoying.

And I have watched every single episode of it!

Silva

You can add me to the list of people watching it despite itself, the first three seasons were fantastic, the fourth season was good, the last three have had episodes vary from from shite, meh, alright and one or two flashes of decency. On the whole, I don't know why I'm still watching it. I'll probably end up watching it until the end though. Stupid fecking thing.

Cina

It was almost, ALMOST as obvious as the twist in season 6 of Dexter.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
We should meet the mother in the end of next season, Ted said that he met the mother in barney's wedding, and that is going to happen at the end of next season.
We won't. Next season is about Barney breaking up with Quinn and get it on with Robin

Season 8 which should be the last is about the build up to the wedding which will happen in the finale and where you will meet the mother.. who almost everyone right now has cracked to be:

Barney's half sister

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
We won't. Next season is about Barney breaking up with Quinn and get it on with Robin

Season 8 which should be the last is about the build up to the wedding which will happen in the finale and where you will meet the mother.. who almost everyone right now has cracked to be:

Barney's half sister
Which is really fecking annoying as Barney was the last remaining decent character in a show. So having him get rid of the only decent female just so he can saddle up with Robyn who is, effectively, Ted in a wig (I mean they even have the same face) is just another in the long list of rubbish decisions the writers have made.

Fortunately the show has one clever gimmick going for it- we've all already invested enough time in the series that we will keep on watching just so we can find out who the hell the damn mother is.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Which is really fecking annoying as Barney was the last remaining decent character in a show. So having him get rid of the only decent female just so he can saddle up with Robyn who is, effectively, Ted in a wig (I mean they even have the same face) is just another in the long list of rubbish decisions the writers have made.

Fortunately the show has one clever gimmick going for it- we've all already invested enough time in the series that we will keep on watching just so we can find out who the hell the damn mother is.
Agree completely with that.

It's also a total cop-out move as well... the idea that all these characters must end up together, as no one from outside of them would be good enough is just lazy. What was the point in wasting nearly half a season on Barney and Quinn, someone who he had excellent, believable chemistry with, and changed him as a person... if he's just going to end up with Robin (someone which he clearly had no decent episodes with, their relationship didn't work, and made for some horrific television, even worse then the current shite they're churning out).

I won't be watching next season, as they've kindly told us that a) We know Ted meets his future wife at that wedding, which is most likely the season finale, and b) The season will revolve around Barney splitting up with Quinn and getting with Robin, which sounds like a gigantic waste of time.

What else is there to watch for? It's not like I'm here for the "comedy" anymore...

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
You're mad, brilliant show.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It used to be a good comedy, it's awful now.
Yeah. S2-3 were its peak, 4 slight decline but acceptable. Wreck since then for me. Happens to almost all US shows now. Sacrifice quality for quantity. In a way I am glad likes of Arrested Development got cancelled when they did.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
'Ted' has to be one of the poorest lead sitcom characters of all time.

The show is utter drivel. I stopped watching after season 2. Recently I caught a recent episode while bored. Glad I stopped watching it when I did.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Decent start to the new season, Ted wasn't as annoying as usual. Become more of a drama than a comedy these days though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Whatever season is being shown on E4 at the moment is really weak. Was a big fan until recently, but there's too many things that wouldn't happen and are just daft.

Robin starting that new job and people calling her 'Scherpoopy'. I mean, really?

Liam147

On Probation
Didn't think the opening episode was all that, until the end. But HIMYM has a way of doing that. Can have a fairly average episode turn brilliant just by the ending.

I genuinely thought we were going to see the mother at the end! Damn umbrella!

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I laughed at two things in this episode... one was Barney's damnit in German, the other other was Klaus at the train station questioning Ted's german. I'm fairly sure thats an improvement on some of the episodes of last season. However, still not overly impressed with the direction the show has taken, so I probably should have stuck to my original plan of not bothering with this series, and just watching the season finale.

Oh, and the end was balls as well... the first 100 times they tease revealing the mother is fun, the 101st time it's just predictable and a bit shit.

Cina

The Barney one minute recap was hilarious.
Yeah it was, but other than that it was a bit meh. Standard case of opening episode giving us more info on the mother, followed by around 12 episodes of random crap, another little move forwards, 8 more episodes of crap, and an hour long finale that will likely end with Barney and Robyn getting engaged and thus lead into the next season, and rinse and repeat.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
to be fair the episode wasn't that bad, I mean there were a couple of moments that made me laugh, definite improvement over some (most) of season 7 episodes.
Still, I think it's gotten to the point where it's been dissapointing comedy wise for such a long time that it'd really take something amazing to make me say "the show is great" again, because honestly seasons 6 & 7 were really crappy, the 5th one wasn't exactly great but atleast it was still a comedy back then.
Now I'm really not sure if I'm watching comedy or drama.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Definitely a drama... they're barely even trying with the comedy anymore, I mean, what were Marshall and Lilly actually doing in this episode?

Poor. I think I will stop watching sometime during the season. Does nothing for me anymore.
You're like me crappy... just can't let it go completely because we've already invested so much sodding time into it!

TheBest

SPNTBP
Definitely a drama... they're barely even trying with the comedy anymore, I mean, what were Marshall and Lilly actually doing in this episode?

You're like me crappy... just can't let it go completely because we've already invested so much sodding time into it!
I think most of us are like that. Lilly and marshall were just annoying.

Liam147

On Probation
They'd still class it as a comedy, but they're working much more with a drama side of it now, which I think they've been doing for a while. Marshall's dad dying wasn't humorous even slightly, obviously, but it was one of the best scenes the programme's ever had.

I also love the little tangents it takes you on. Starting with Barney and Robin's wedding, both of them wanting out, then it leaves that completely, to go back to what we see as 'present day'.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
All sitcoms have serious stuff in though don't they?
It's the comedy where they usually fall short anyway.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yes, the point of most sitcoms is to follow the lives of a group of people and therefore they often have some drama scenes. In Friends, the whole storyline about how Monica and Chandler couldn't have children wasn't that funny at all (well they explored the comedy value of it after, but when they found out, the tone was definitely dramatic), and was handled very well.

I'm not quite convinced by all the drama in HIMYM, especially cos I think most of the cast are very mediocre actors. Marshall's dad's death didn't affect me as much as it should have, and I think it was due to the very wooden performance by Jason Segel (and I say this even though I really like the actor).

I'm quite bored by this show now, but I've watched so many episodes, I intend to watch it til the end. It's only 20 minutes a week after all.