Television How I Met Your Mother

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Comparing this show from what it is now to what it use to be... the difference is staggering.

It use to be clever, witty, edgy and (most importantly) funny... but it seems to have lost pretty much all those attributes along the way. Never in a million years in this new season would you get Barney changing the lyrics to Christmas Songs to make them be about doing Ted's sister...

Chrisjn

Huh? It was made clear on the very first episode that Robyn isn't the mother.
Must have been someone else I was referring to then. Don't really watch it. :wenger::lol:

When does this finish anyway?

Cina

They have massive ratings now and they don't look like dropping anytime soon so they are probably too lazy to bother. Plus I doubt the show was ever intended to run this long, the writers themselves said they never expected it to be so popular, and they're clearly run out of ideas and clever filler episodes.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Isn't it true that robin is found to be unable to bare children and the whole narrative is actually speaking to there unborn children?

Massive spoiler.

I heard something like that not long ago, apparently a lot of viewers were very pissed.
That was just a one off episode about robin, this season.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
They have massive ratings now and they don't look like dropping anytime soon so they are probably too lazy to bother. Plus I doubt the show was ever intended to run this long, the writers themselves said they never expected it to be so popular, and they're clearly run out of ideas and clever filler episodes.
How have they kept up the ratings after 2 years of complete dross? Most tv shows would be lucky to get 1 year. I guess a lot of people are still watching just to find out who the mother is. The way I look at it is, I've invested 5 years into it, might as well now see it through. Get the feeling, that's the same for many tbh.

Cina

The mother hasn't been introduced yet.

A rumor/theory going around is that it's

a relative of Barney's at the wedding.

But unless they are unbelievably thick I can't see that making sense seeing as we already know the mother lived with Rachel Bilson, so unless they decide to completely abandon that now then it's likely someone on the brides side.

So many fecking red herrings in this show. Remember the yellow umbrella?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Right, and we know this season ends with

Barney's wedding

and we know that

Ted meets her at Barney's wedding. So at least we don't have to wait too long to find out. Thing is, I think we'll find out in the first episode of the next season, as the cliffhanger will obviously be "and kids, that's when I saw your mother for the first time" and it'll end just before it shows her face.

Also, Barney better not fecking marry Robin, otherwise I'm definitely out.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The mother hasn't been introduced yet.

A rumor/theory going around is that it's

a relative of Barney's at the wedding.

But unless they are unbelievably thick I can't see that making sense seeing as we already know the mother lived with Rachel Bilson, so unless they decide to completely abandon that now then it's likely someone on the brides side.

So many fecking red herrings in this show. Remember the yellow umbrella?
Aye I've read that theory, apparently
It's Barneys Half Sister.

Also I hope they don't start that Robin-Ted story again

Hitchcocker

I can't believe anyone who wouldn't want Barney and ***** to be together. feck they are the only couple we could root for the entire show!

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I can't believe anyone who wouldn't want Barney and ***** to be together. feck they are the only couple we could root for the entire show!
I assume you mean Robin?

If so, how?? The episodes when they were together were some of the worst episodes the show has currently produced... (on a par with this season in fact)... and also, for a show that use to pride itself on the fact that it wasn't just a rip-off of FRIENDS, and would constantly say that it's not... them two ending up together would pretty much cement it's FRIENDS rip-off status.

Cina

Yep, the show declined big time when they started going out.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There's one good character left on this show and that's Marshall. Barney just annoys me now. Lily is good along with Marshall but not after the pregnancy. Ted is awful and Robin is just meh and has been meh for some time. Looks depressed and less fit.

Cina

Marshall is mainly funny because of Jason Segel's facial expressions. His actual dialogue is crap.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
There's one good character left on this show and that's Marshall. Barney just annoys me now. Lily is good along with Marshall but not after the pregnancy. Ted is awful and Robin is just meh and has been meh for some time. Looks depressed and less fit.
Marshall has been carrying this show for a long time now. After they started to "build" Barney's character by having him meet his dad, showing that he has an emotional side etc he has been ruined. He was never supposed to be that kind of character. He was supposed to be an over the top "bro", nothing more.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've only ever seen about 4 episodes of this show.

Ralaks

Marshall has been carrying this show for a long time now. After they started to "build" Barney's character by having him meet his dad, showing that he has an emotional side etc he has been ruined. He was never supposed to be that kind of character. He was supposed to be an over the top "bro", nothing more.
Agree. Marshall is the saving grace lately. Barney used to be decent, but they've totally ruined him.

LARulz

I've stopped watching it since it came back from the break. Has it by any chance improved?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Best episode in a long long time
Right, you've drummed up my expectations Robo... so this better be good!

Will it matter that I missed the last episode?? The reactions to it in this thread made me less then enthusiastic to catch it, and now I can't find it online anywhere.

Cina

Right, and we know this season ends with

Barney's wedding

and we know that

Ted meets her at Barney's wedding. So at least we don't have to wait too long to find out. Thing is, I think we'll find out in the first episode of the next season, as the cliffhanger will obviously be "and kids, that's when I saw your mother for the first time" and it'll end just before it shows her face.

Also, Barney better not fecking marry Robin, otherwise I'm definitely out.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it'll be at least the end of NEXT season before that event.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very good season finale IMO.

Still don't why they've got Victoria back btw, we all know he's not gonna be the mother. Not surprised to see Barney and Robin getting married.

Hal9000

Still don't why they've got Victoria back btw, we all know he's not gonna be the mother. Not surprised to see Barney and Robin getting married.
Ratings...

Victoria always been a fan favourite.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.

Yep. Good finale.
For a moment with Barney Quinn together, I thought the only reason Robin not getting tied down with Barney was because she was dying.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I hated the fact that they brought Victoria back despite her having no chance of being the mother at all. They're probably going to end the show literally with Ted meeting the mother at the wedding and not showing us how they get together now. :(

Liam147

On Probation
I hated the fact that they brought Victoria back despite her having no chance of being the mother at all. They're probably going to end the show literally with Ted meeting the mother at the wedding and not showing us how they get together now. :(
Well it adds for more of a storyline for a start. I think from the moment Barney got engaged we expected Robin to be the bride. What is interesting is that Ted says it starts with a weddin that went horribly wrong. At first I thought he meant Victoria's but he is talking about Barney's I think. I hope so anyway cos that could leave another storyline open in the future if they wanted to pick it up again. I also liked how Ted decided to drive past the church. Despite saying how he was left at the alter and it almost killed him, he decided to do what was best for him.

Gotta say I thought the finale on the whole was excellent. The first part was a bit hit and miss, but it was more of a substory, the second half more than made up for it.

Cina

I thought the mother was supposed to be revealed in some way, sigh.

This shit with Barney being engaged to Quinn but marrying Robyn only further ensures that the show will continue at a slow, boring pace into the future. feck off.

Brophs

The One and Only
I thought it was a bit rubbish, tbh. IF Barney is marrying Robin it will probably end up being a citizenship thing and I don't know why they bothered doing a double show finale and then filling it with loads of unfunny clips.

Cina

I thought it was a bit rubbish, tbh. IF Barney is marrying Robin it will probably end up being a citizenship thing and I don't know why they bothered doing a double show finale and then filling it with loads of unfunny clips.
Yup, the show has been rubbish for a while. I'd heard that they showed the mother in the last episode, that's why I kept going, but nope, they bring back Victoria who we already know is not the fecking mother.

Not to mention all these red herrings they'll never be able to explain, like the mother being in Ted's class and being Rachel Bilson's roommate.