g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How important is it for us to avoid a major thrashing by Liverpool or City this season?

Skills

Snitch
How high would you rank this as a priority for Ten Hag?

Ahead of top 4 or a trophy? By major I mean considering 4 or more goals. 3 is probably borderline acceptable.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
City can beat us 28-0 if we win a cup. Bizarre question.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'd imagine it's imperative to avoid getting thrashed in any game surely?

The idea is to win after all.

Teja

I don't expect us to win these games, but I want to see some progress. I don't want to see yet another totally incompetent, hanging on for our dear lives, 80% - 20% possession type performance.

Stadjer

I would like Manchester United not be embarrased in those direct confrontations this season. Those games against City and Liverpool were just so bad from Manchester United. Not a good look for the biggest club in England to look worse than some relegation team in those direct confrontations. If we play them and lose 5-0 because they created 5 small chances but scored all of them it would be a lot more acceptable to lose than how those games were lost last season.

I wouldnt care about thrashing if Manchester United ended up with a cup and top 4 though. Losing while you should win the match based on performance or losing 20-0 is still only 3 points for the opponent.

Red Royal

I would like Manchester United not be embarrased in those direct confrontations this season. Those games against City and Liverpool were just so bad from Manchester United. Not a good look for the biggest club in England to look worse than some relegation team in those direct confrontations. If we play them and lose 5-0 because they created 5 small chances but scored all of them it would be a lot more acceptable to lose than how those games were lost last season.

I wouldnt care about thrashing if Manchester United ended up with a cup and top 4 though. Losing while you should win the match based on performance or losing 20-0 is still only 3 points for the opponent.
One thing Ole seemed to have was a decent record against City. Hopefully ETH can get us playing with pride for the jersey in these kinds of games.

Chairman Steve

I’d be chuffed if Liverpool and City thrashed us home and away and we won the other 34 matches.

I think everyone with a brain realises we’re at the start of a process whilst those two are years into theirs, and we’ll get the benefit of doubt if worst happens. Writing ETH off based on results against them would be stupid.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Getting thrashed of the top teams is bad enough, I just don’t want us getting thrashed of the Watfords and Brightons of the league (again)

bazza3727

It strikes me as pretty pathetic to be discussing avoiding thrashings, when we should be looking forward to taking these teams to the cleaners! After all it's eleven against eleven. As supporters, are we Manchester United or aren't we?

K Stand Knut

I would say almost bottom of any list of priorities dependent on the rest of the season and other priorities that are or are not hit

The same 4 results as this seaosn will be accepted if we win the league And they are the only defeats

CallyRed

Be good to be actually competitive against them for a start.
I don't mind losing but atleast make it a game and not just bend over

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not much of a priority.

In fact given ETH's approach to the game I would say there's quite a good chance of someone absolutely smashing us at some point, even if the season broadly goes well.

Woziak

Not much of a priority.

In fact given ETH's approach to the game I would say there's quite a good chance of someone absolutely smashing us at some point, even if the season broadly goes well.
Yep he won’t care he’ll just say we conversed 58 goals last season !

TheReligion

Abusive
Not much of a priority.

I thought Ajax had a very good defensive record?!

Chief123

It strikes me as pretty pathetic to be discussing avoiding thrashings, when we should be looking forward to taking these teams to the cleaners! After all it's eleven against eleven. As supporters, are we Manchester United or aren't we?
It’s amazing what a couple of months and 1 signing can do. Bless you.

TheReligion

Abusive

Ahead of top 4 or a trophy? By major I mean considering 4 or more goals. 3 is probably borderline acceptable.
What a silly thread mate.

I’m sure you’re wumming but I wish you wouldn’t as there’s enough shite on the forum to sift through to try and find the genuinely interesting discussion.

downunder red

If ETH can get us playing for each other and as a team with 90 minutes of total effort. There is no reason why we cannot win any game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's not the main priority for me because I believe things follow a logical process, if the new managerial setup can get us playing better as a team during attacking and defensive phases then naturally we won't be trashed

caid

Same as every other season?
Ok its slightly more important than usual because the teams confidence is going to be fragile after last season but its a pretty low priority. It'll matter the weekend of the game but it wont define our season good or bad

Red00012

It’s away down the list . I want the team to play like they give a feck about the club for a start.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought Ajax had a very good defensive record?!
They do but I don't think he can get us playing like that overnight. And given the heavy emphasis on playing out from the back and aggressive high line, teething problems adapting to that style can be punished hard in one-off games.

If we take City as the most similar comparison they obviously have an excellent defensive record under Pep but in his first season they still conceded four goals to Leicester, four goals to Everton, three goals to Celtic, three goals to Monaco, etc. And even since then they've had one-off games where they've been ripped apart defensively.

Even if ETH's first season goes well, I'd expect the odd game like that.

Giggsy13

It’s time to put last season behind us. We have a proper manager in charge and hopefully new impactful signings along with players in the squad already who will bounce back. I believe we’ll win against one of Liverpool or city this season.

maximus419

The best form of defence is attack. It's what man utd were all about under SAF. I'd like to see a return to football played on our terms, make the opposition worry about us, which will mean we don't need to defend so much.

If you can't fix the defence or have unreliable players, maybe we need to focus on outscoring the opposition. Even if it's a little too gung ho at times, it would certainly get the fans back onside.

Someone

Something
There won't be any thrashing if the team improves. Key to the humiliation last season was the complete loss of confidence. The players just had no fight in them, and most premier league clubs can avoid similar defeats by just being organized and working hard. If we get our confidence back I promise you we'll be able to get a lot of positive results against the top 6. That's even without any new transfers.

ForeverRed1

We shouldn’t get thrashed by anybody let alone pool and city. We should always make it hard for teams to beat us, regardless of who we play. we got steam rolled last season way too many times.

So conceding less and scoring more I’m sure is high on his list as it would be any manager.

if we don’t win anything next season we still have to play much better football and show signs of something special starting to happen. The pressure will be more on him the season after.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very important.

No teams should be beating Manchester United by 4/5 goals.

It can damage morale and team spirit way worse than a 1-0 loss to crystal palace that's for sure.

Steve Bruce

Sir Alex had a few embarrassing moments Vs Southampton, Newcastle, City etc

These things happen what is more important is how we react to these moments

Sidstar1991

Wouldnt completely mind losing but hope we can give a tough fight, its early days in the rebuild and this is the managers first run at the league while the other two seasoned and top managers have been here way longer ofcourse. We have to win all our games where we (on paper) are suppose to win and finish top 4 at the very least.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Meh, Liverpool are gonna get thrashed by City this season. There’s not much hope for the rest of us. This is Guardiola’s final form.

wolvored

Err no. If we win a trophy or top 4 is way more important than a 5-0 loss. Shows e are heading in the right direction.

LInkash

Going by our first preseason game, they should be more worried about getting thrashed by us.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Forget avoiding one, we owe both these cnuts a thrashing. 3rd game of the season is Liverpool at OT. I want that win bad.

Morpheus 7

We play Liverpool at 8pm on a Monday night at Old Trafford. I expect United getting points in that game. Loser mentality needs to go, Spurs took points of both them teams last year no reason why we can't. I'm expecting points in both games.

Polar

We are possibly thrashed by City, Chelsea, Pool, Tottenham and Arsenal on the the transfer market.

Quality of our squad implies we are getting thrashed on the pitch. As it looks now, only ETH’s managerial skills can save us from thrashing.

KKidAA

Strange question to ask. Even Fergie's sides occasionally took a good spanking. Newcastle 5-0, Southampton 6-3, Fulham 3-0, City 6-1, Chelsea 5-0. I think apart form the City one, we won the league in every season that those thrashings occurred.

It happens sometimes in competitive leagues to even the best sides.

The problem recently is not just the thrashings but the inevitability of them. The Liverpool and City games last season were lost before they even started. I just want to look forward to those games again and not be planning my OT exit after 35 minutes.