How important is the Europa league?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I seem to remember a journalist ranting about it on an italian show a long time ago, he was upset about the fact that Italian clubs had no respect or interest for the UEFA cup.
Yep

It's changing now, but still teams tend to throw it under the bus for the league...

And then there's guys like De Laurentiis openly calling to scrap it entirely. Remember two years ago Napoli pretty much intentionally lost to Leipzig. Sarri was furious afterwards, and the second leg actually only made it clear that they did in fact lose on purpose in the first leg so they would go out. Sarri cared, but when the boss is publicly saying he wants out the day before the game...

It’s as prestigious as the League Cup - I.e not at all.

the only plus point is the Champion League place for the winner, otherwise it’s a completely pointless competition.

Member 90887

People are crazy.

How is finishing 4th in the CL group or even going out in the first knockout tie better than winning an actual trophy ?

The logic is crazy if there's any.

One is one more line on your list of trophy won, the other is well, nothing really.

participating in a competition is never and will never be better than winning another one.

I would even say that i would prefer an FA cup or Carling cup win if over even getting in the CL if i knew that i would finish 4th in the group stage.

In ten years, nobody will remember or care that you played in the 19-20 season of the CL. You get in a competition to win it, not to be in it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
A European trophy is nothing to scoff at. I think it’s insulting to all the past winners of the UEFA/Europa cup to mock the competition.

Camilo

No one cares about the Europa League. So it's a European trophy? So what. It's for what, teams that finish 5th to 7th or whatever it is? A trophy where all the good teams are away playing in their big boy Cup? Pointless.

If there has to be a second European trophy then it should exist alongside (not under) the Champions league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's a competition for the second tier of clubs from the major leagues or for the lower leagues really

Offering CL qualification was *needed* to get the big boys to take it seriously

Also probably the reason why the spanish clubs took it seriously all along: having no chance at the actual big trophies(both league and CL have always been unrealistic targets for the like of Sevilla), this is the biggest trophy they could win

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Depends who you are. For the major clubs even playing in at all is seen as failure, and rival fans will mock you for it.

It is a trophy though, and one worth winning particularly given the CL place and seeded position

w1thout

If you're playing in the competition you should take it seriously. From the next round onwards there's good money in it from a club that's United's size, it's the 2nd biggest trophy you can win assuming you can't win the CL and the co-efficient matters since you'd much rather be 2nd seed than 3rd in the CL.
Tbh if we win it this year the total prize will be about 20m (based on our results in the groups stage).

CL group stage's base fee is about 15m, with additional sums based on results. So the money is OK I guess, but nothing serious for a club like ours.

Nevertheless, I would like us to win it. Another trophy is always nice, and the CL entrance ticket along with the fact that we'll be seeded 1st in the groups stage, I'll be glad if we win this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Depends who you are. For the major clubs even playing in at all is seen as failure, and rival fans will mock you for it.

It is a trophy though, and one worth winning particularly given the CL place and seeded position
But if you are a major club with a relatively young or inexperienced team in terms of success, the EL is very valuable. Because you will face solid opposition in a competitive cup environment it builds competitiveness and a taste for success within your team. While you should be upset to qualify for it because it means that you didn't do well enough during your league campaign, you shouldn't look down on it as a competition.

Ekeke

If you're playing in the competition you should take it seriously. From the next round onwards there's good money in it from a club that's United's size, it's the 2nd biggest trophy you can win assuming you can't win the CL and the co-efficient matters since you'd much rather be 2nd seed than 3rd in the CL.
How is it the 2nd biggest trophy ahead of the premier league?

Paul_Scholes18

Titles for me over just being around like Arsenal for so long.
I guess lots of our fans like to be like Arsenal now.

iHicksy

Honestly, I wish they hadn't changed the name to Europa league. I feel like maybe (at least to me) it's kind of taken away from some of the prestige of winning the competition. I liked when it had UEFA in the in the title as it had some history associated with the name, even subconsciously. But that's just my crazy brain I guess.

AaronRedDevil

Anyone who says they’d rather qualify through the league is missing something big. Winning Europa gets you 1st seed along with League winners and Cl winners. It’s a huge advantage over finishing 2nd-4th. Also you get a decent cup run and good away days for the fans. I’d take Europa route every day of the week.
Ding ding ding. Winner

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone who says they’d rather qualify through the league is missing something big. Winning Europa gets you 1st seed along with League winners and Cl winners. It’s a huge advantage over finishing 2nd-4th. Also you get a decent cup run and good away days for the fans. I’d take Europa route every day of the week.
IIRC CL via Europa league means that team won't get TV pool money or something. Remember reading it in 2017.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
But if you are a major club with a relatively young or inexperienced team in terms of success, the EL is very valuable. Because you will face solid opposition in a competitive cup environment it builds competitiveness and a taste for success within your team. While you should be upset to qualify for it because it means that you didn't do well enough during your league campaign, you shouldn't look down on it as a competition.
I dont, and I agree that it can be valuable minutes for developing players. The problem is it presents a challenge in how a club like United approach it, particularly this season where we have two potential routes back into the CL, none of which are certain. It's a nice problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I dont, and I agree that it can be valuable minutes for developing players. The problem is it presents a challenge in how a club like United approach it, particularly this season where we have two potential routes back into the CL, none of which are certain. It's a nice problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.
But isn't that a symptom of our bigger problems more than a problem caused by the EL?

Since 2013 we have had two issues, poor quality in the manager's seat and a lack of in-depth quality in the squad. The CL poses the same issue as does every competitions that see us play twice a week, a club as big as United from an economics standpoint should have no issue with the EL regardless of the Thursday obsession that some have, it's an issue for smaller clubs who don't have the means to have a squad with 16-17 bonafide starters. The fact that we are in 2020, played in the EL regularly and still talk about the challenges of playing it shows how ridiculously incompetent we have been in terms of team building.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
But isn't that a symptom of our bigger problems more than a problem caused by the EL?

Since 2013 we have had two issues, poor quality in the manager's seat and a lack of in-depth quality in the squad. The CL poses the same issue as does every competitions that see us play twice a week, a club as big as United from an economics standpoint should have no issue with the EL regardless of the Thursday obsession that some have, it's an issue for smaller clubs who don't have the means to have a squad with 16-17 bonafide starters. The fact that we are in 2020, played in the EL regularly and still talk about the challenges of playing it shows how ridiculously incompetent we have been in terms of team building.
Well yes - your last point is a given. Nobody is disputing that.

There are problems that the EL poses that the CL doesnt though. For starters there is an extra round. It might not seem significant but if you are still in the FA Cup it ensure that you're playing every few days without let up. Yes United have an advantage over many with our resources but it was clear to see in the season we won it how much it took out of the squad. We limped over the line.

I'm not sure whether there is any truth in the extra air miles and travel time aspect that is often mentioned, but that too might be a factor.

TheRedHearted

It's a competition for the second tier of clubs from the major leagues or for the lower leagues really

Offering CL qualification was *needed* to get the big boys to take it seriously

Also probably the reason why the spanish clubs took it seriously all along: having no chance at the actual big trophies(both league and CL have always been unrealistic targets for the like of Sevilla), this is the biggest trophy they could win
Competing against different styles of play and being able to beat them should be a goal for any team.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Our European pedigree is nothing to write home about, so I'd fancy winning it not only for a route into the CL, but because its winning a cup. Thats what football clubs are supposed to be about.

Plus, its got some very decent European pedigree in it these days. A lot of Champions league winners in there.;)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Tbh if we win it this year the total prize will be about 20m (based on our results in the groups stage).

CL group stage's base fee is about 15m, with additional sums based on results. So the money is OK I guess, but nothing serious for a club like ours.

Nevertheless, I would like us to win it. Another trophy is always nice, and the CL entrance ticket along with the fact that we'll be seeded 1st in the groups stage, I'll be glad if we win this.
That's only prize money. You have to take into account the TV money as well.

fps

The Europa League exists so they can turn it into the 2nd division that Champions League teams can get relegated to if a European Super League starts. Which would be the death of football, of course. And to grind out some unpleasant money. A ghastly, pointless competition.

Last edited:

bondsname

The FA Cup, League trophy, and Champions League are the only ones that matters. The rest are only there so worse teams have a chance to win a trophy.

Tarrou

I prefer a trophy over no trophy, all day.

Qualifying through the league over the EL is an arbitrary distinction in the grand scheme of things.

We need to improve massively as a team to be taken seriously again, and for top players to want to come here. Finishing 4th instead of 5th/6th won’t win anyone over.

That said, we can do both.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why? To finish below in the CL group would still mean you finished ahead of and are better than the Europa league winner. It's a losers tournament. It's so depressing that we have to settle for it

I remember when Liverpool first played in it a good few years back. Joke of the nation they were
Why are you asking the questions when you already have an answer of your own?

Bit weird.

TheLord

It is worthless in my opinion, unless of course if someone wins it outright and gets a free ticket to next season's Champions League.

If they scrapped that provision of automatic entry to next year's CL, I don't think most top teams would bother.

Jericho

People are crazy.

How is finishing 4th in the CL group or even going out in the first knockout tie better than winning an actual trophy ?

The logic is crazy if there's any.

One is one more line on your list of trophy won, the other is well, nothing really.

participating in a competition is never and will never be better than winning another one.

I would even say that i would prefer an FA cup or Carling cup win if over even getting in the CL if i knew that i would finish 4th in the group stage.

In ten years, nobody will remember or care that you played in the 19-20 season of the CL. You get in a competition to win it, not to be in it.
But you need to be in it to win it.

Obviously if you knew going in to a new season that we would get knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage you'd trade it for winning the Europa League. But you never know that. You want to be in the Champions League because you believe you have some chance of winning it.

It's not about what people will remember in 10 years, it's about being in the competition right now, not knowing what the outcome will be, and cheering on your team hoping they win it.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It feels as though you're just getting people to say the opposite to you so you can then have a dig at United and/or the competition..
No, that isn't my intention and it's pretty pointless as I could have had a dig at the Europa league elsewhere.

RedIan

I’d love to win it and it would be a buzz as it was the last time. Its a prestigious competition, give your head a shake. Those who didnt feel anything should question why they support the team. I love to see united win any game any competition. I got a buzz beating Watford and ive watched United for 50 years. 40 of them at the grounds and now mostly form the armchair. Its Still great to win.

TheReligion

Abusive
No, that isn't my intention and it's pretty pointless as I could have had a dig at the Europa league elsewhere.
Fair enough. Just seems very emotive calling it a losers tournament and making out United are a joke for being in it.

We are where we are at the moment unfortunately. Fans and the club just need to get on with it and push us back to where we belong. The situation isn't ideal but I'd rather this team start winning trophies together and develop a winning mentality than try and make out it's all beneath us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
CL
PL
EL
FA
LC

That's the order in terms of prestige for me.

However I'd always prefer a league title over the CL and not winning the league personally but that's just me. It's definitely the pinnacle of a club career though.

El Zoido

It’s not a worthless trophy but I don’t think it’s particularly prestigious. I don’t think I’ve ever rewatched highlights from the final against Ajax. I remember winning it being more of a relief that we were in the CL, rather than being hyped about winning a trophy. You can argue the toss about it all you want but it’s just a feeling you get, can’t logic it out. The games feel like an inconvenience more than anything else. It’s a bit like the league cup, it’s definitely nice to win a trophy, but if we lose a CL final or semi final I won’t want to leave the house for a week. If we go out of the EL, I’d be ok with it. Sorry to anyone who loves this competition, it’s just how it is.