How is Sheringham seen by United fans?

Tiber

Very good player, scored important goals -but a step below legend imo

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
When he tackled Gordon Ramsay to death in a charity match, you just knew his legend lives on. He could be calm and extremely professional the whole game and still be bit of a feisty c*nt in the end. :lol:

Him and Berba will always be remembered as unusual, but useful type of strikers, that Sir Alex just knew exactly how to use to United's advantage.

Denis79

I liked him a lot, he was great when he played a bit deeper as an attacker. When Cole and Yorke didn't manage to break a defence Sheringham brought something different to the table.

buckooo1978

he will go down in history at our club and liked the Oh Teddy Teddy chant and him winding up Arsenal

personally loved him.... he and Scholes were delicious together - such intelligent, skillful players with great vision

we fecked up letting him go too early as we wouldn't give him 2 year extension

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Coming in as Cantona’s replacement was always going to be tough.

Personally I have him down as a legend. He was even more important than Ole during the CL final in ‘99 imo.

He left his favourite club, came to us, won the fecking lot and then re-signed with his favourite club.

It’s a shame that bald wanker Shearer didn’t do the same. With him in the side we’d have won a couple of more CL trophies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I loved him. One of my favourite United players ever so he's definitely a legend for me.

Out of our 4 attackers in that era, he was my favourite, which says a lot as I loved Ole, Cole and Yorke, too.

His 00-01 season :drool:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Really like his type of player. From what I remember:

97/98 - started ok, but faded badly after Christmas along with the team as a whole. There was a feeling that he was saving himself for the World Cup, he was not a popular player at all by the end.

98/99 - he could have been sold in the summer. He didn’t play much at all, especially first half of the season, but he really made his time on the pitch count.

99/00 - really don’t remember much from him this season at all. Was there any big moments from him?

00/01 - he was the highlight of a pretty boring title-winning season.

Green_Red

Its hard to knock a player thats involved in a treble winning side and a three in a row Prem winning side.

mu4c_20le

I see him as more of a Spurs man than a United legend. Appreciate what hes achieved with us though.

Foxbatt

he was not the one who started the problem with Cole. It was Cole who started it because Sheringham came off for Cole in an England match before he came to United and he just walked off without shaking Cole's hand and that is the reason it started.
I remember when he came back with Spurs and got subbed at OT he walked towards the United bench before realising his mistake and went to the away team bench. Well it is not a bench anymore I know but heated seats.

Scholsey2004

Top quality player who we signed past his best. Still had some good moments for us. At his peak he would have been more of a fixture in the side.

padzilla

Hipster
He came with an unearned arrogance but by the time he left, most fans were won over by him. I don't remember much about him in the Treble season until he came on as a sub in the FA Cup Final against Newcastle and scored almost immediately. His best season was his fourth year I believe when he rightly won footballer of the year accolades. A superbly gifted and intelligent footballer, the fact his biggest attribute was his reading of the game allowed him to play on well into his late 30s, at a high level, unlike other higher profile players like Gerrard and Rooney who relied more so on their physical attributes and pace.

ryansgirl

Teddy Sheringham will never be forgotten for that first United goal against Bayern Munich. He also did a lot of useful scoring in other games but I will never forget watching him in the early hours of the morning - non European time - both when he positioned himself and then scored.

It happened so quickly but I remember thinking when Andy Cole came off that Teddy might fix it. I was hopeful because Teddy was always cool under pressure. He and Ole were 'Cometh the hour, cometh' the man type players along with Keano, Beckham and Giggsy.

He did. I also liked his response - after he celebrated he gazed upwards to the Nou Camp tiers as if to say 'Yes - the Cup is in reach'.

Teddy Sheringham was one of the most intelligent footballers in the Premier League and also as a person. I never saw him as arrogant when he was a Spurs player or when he was with us. He knew his own worth and he wasn't a 'one of the lads' type player so that was sometimes misinterpreted as arrogant.

He was a consummate professional. He and Andy Cole didn't get along - I've never heard why and if it was racism then I am sure Andy would have said it - but they put anything personal aside on the pitch and worked with each other for the team.

Pughnichi

Was labelled as Cantonas replacement by the media which I believe angered a lot of fans. How could this old geezer from Tottenham possibly replace the King?! But he quickly turned that around show casing what he did at spurs for years. Despite the legendary Cole York’s partnership, I doubt most would have batted an eye when named in the starting 11 ahead of them. A great player.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Always found him a bit of an arrogant prick. I met him a couple of times during his first stint at Spurs and he was not a particularly nice person.

I was pretty disappointed when we signed him and I never really warmed to him, but he scored a very important goal and had half of a good season in 2000/2001.

He was the kind of player where, if I saw on soccer Saturday that United had scored and then they went over to Besty to describe it and Sheringham had got it, I felt disappointed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've heard quite a few people describe him as an unpleasant person, including a couple of posters on here. So that's pretty much how I now see him.

redMundo

Always felt a bit sorry for Teddy.

Had ginormous boots to fill being the direct replacement for Cantona, was never going to reach those heights.

Solskjaer gets all the praise for ‘99 but that equaliser was THE most important goal of that game. Without it we’d have been dead and buried, after it we were always going to win that night... Name. On. The. Trophy.
Sheringham got a goal and assist when we won the FA cup final 2-0 and a goal and assist in the Champions League final we won 2-1.

He was also PFA Player Of The Year in 2001 having probably his best season for us. He really stepped up when Cole and Yorke went off the boil.

An extremely intelligent player, could link up with anyone and had a great range of passing, good touch, excellent vision and could finish. Was Brilliant in the air too.

Sheddy Terrapin...... Wasn’t a better centre forward in world football at that time who’d have been willing to take a substitute squad role.

Despite probably not being the nicest of blokes I’ll always have a soft spot for him after his contribution to the club.

ryansgirl

So everyone saying Teddy was not a nice person, etc, please give some examples. Was he rude to United fans? Did he refuse to sign autographs? Waiting to hear what his problem was.
Or was it just a case of Teddy gave short shrift to pests or people being obnoxious to him? I'm a big fan of Andy Cole and he never was an approachable person apparently yet that doesn't make him a person who couldn't be described as a good person.

SirAF

Ageist

Had ginormous boots to fill being the direct replacement for Cantona, was never going to reach those heights.

Solskjaer gets all the praise for ‘99 but that equaliser was THE most important goal of that game. Without it we’d have been dead and buried, after it we were always going to win that night... Name. On. The. Trophy.
Sheringham got a goal and assist when we won the FA cup final 2-0 and a goal and assist in the Champions League final we won 2-1.

He was also PFA Player Of The Year in 2001 having probably his best season for us. He really stepped up when Cole and Yorke went off the boil.

An extremely intelligent player, could link up with anyone and had a great range of passing, good touch, excellent vision and could finish. Was Brilliant in the air too.

Sheddy Terrapin...... Wasn’t a better centre forward in world football at that time who’d have been willing to take a substitute squad role.

Despite probably not being the nicest of blokes I’ll always have a soft spot for him after his contribution to the club.
This.

Strachans Cigar

Can’t argue with the playing contribution.

As others have said though, there’s a bit of Cockney Wanker about him.

Obviously we could dissect the fall out with Cole (although you could equally say Cole was being oversensitive)

Then again, you have the tackle by ‘Shezzas’ mate Razor on Cole staying that one’s for Teddy & it makes you wonder if you were a fly on the wall in a room with Ruddock & Sheringham what would they be like?

I think ‘a pair of wankers’ would be a fair guess.

Seems to be a bit of a Teflon Don though, because he ditched Danielle Lloyd for being racist. Not a good public look you see.