How long until Ole's signings also join the deadwood list?

Paul_Scholes18

I think Wan Bissaka is overrated. He is poor in attack and often do not do very much. He is a good defender, but we would need more from our fullbacks.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
James is fantastic. Bissaka has learning and improving to do but has time to do it and is already better than what we had previously.

Maguire is a complete liability at the moment. I can understand mistakes but he's doing things every single game that are just embarassingly bad and he's cost us in multiple games now as a result.

DoomSlayer

Maguire is a complete liability at the moment. I can understand mistakes but he's doing things every single game that are just embarassingly bad and he's cost us in multiple games now as a result.
I'm so pissed off at this fact. I can't get my head around that we spend £80 million and we haven't improved at all. It truly is an embarrassment. :mad:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm so pissed off at this fact. I can't get my head around that we spend £80 million and we haven't improved at all. It truly is an embarrassment. :mad:
He was probably just never that good. I never really watched him at Leicester that much, and was never that impressed with him for England...he mainly just pratted around on the ball too much but I assumed that was in part because England have no midfield.

Ironically the team who's defence appear to have improved by us signing Maguire from Leicester, is Leicester.

Honestly I think our defending is worse than last season. The improved stats are because overall we are putting more work into games. The first half of last season and towards the end the players just weren't trying.

The goals we concede this season though are just a joke. We've had players score by doing flick ups over their own head slowly 4 yards out from our goal. By challenging all three of our centrebcks for a ball on the halfway line, not winning the header, but then getting to the ball anyway and jogging up the pitch and shooting without having to beat anyone. By standing still in our area for literally 10 seconds while our defenders point at them. Look at the goals today. They're the same sort of goals we used to laugh at Arsenal for.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They are not deadwood and they will not ever be that. Quality is obvious. I know that i am risking now to be labelled as negative( it is hard to be positive these days regarding United) but for me it is laughable when i read how all Ole's signings are huge success. So far they are not flops, they are upgrade to what we had and they are all good signings in general BUT;
We payed 80 mil for defender who is slow and didn't fix our defence on the way how 80mil player should. I like the fact how he is really excellent in air, i very much like how Maguire is excellent in positioning( for me his best trait) and he has right mentality without question. But something is missing. For 80 mil i want whole package i guess.

Awb is worse than Valencia in attack. But in defence he is really something special. So again, we payed huge amount of money for a player with huge flaw. I hope that he will upgrade his attacking skills when new manager comes. With Ole and his game plan, i doubt it.

James is doing ok and for that money we bought a gem. I was very sceptical about that signing and i am delighted to be wrong there.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Honestly while everyone rave about AWB defending which is top notch, his utter uselessness going forward is going to get most people fed up in a few years. When you keep seeing him fail to play with ball to feet, especially when chasing a game it get irritating and wish he wasn't there on the pitch. How on earth was the guy a winger to begin with? His footballing abilities are appalling.

spiriticon

James has a few goals and plenty assists, AWB is a rock in defense.

Maguire is probably the most disappointing but he's still alright.

Paul_Scholes18

Under Ole is there any player that will not be considered deadwood?

Rashford, Greenwood, Fred and Mctominay are doing well now although people considered Fred deadwood before.
Martial is so up and down that people might want him sold too.

El Zoido

When was James' last goal?
He’s not being used properly. When is he ever given balls in behind to run on to? Everything comes to his feet, expecting him to take it forward like Messi. He’s a young lad and has a lot of development but we’re not making the most of his attributes at all.

spiriticon

When was James' last goal?
Probably like the 3rd game of the season or something but he has contributed quite a few assists since then. He's doing alright in my opinion. He's not gonna notch up 20 goals and 20 assists in his first season.

Hulme91

How many signings have been an unequivocal success since Fergie left?
You could count on one hand and tbh I doubt you'd need all five fingers

Dr. StrangeHate

Maguire I still feel will be alright in the long run as his skills with the ball are useful at the top level.

AWB has no place as a FB in a top 6 team. His place is in a bottom table team which only requires good defending. May be try him out at CB.

James was a punt at 20 mil and has been alright but I would still swap him with Adama of Wolves in a heartbeat and I think Adama is average.

Welbeckham

How many signings have been an unequivocal success since Fergie left?
You could count on one hand and tbh I doubt you'd need all five fingers
None. I personally thought Blind and Herrera were, but our managers disagreed.

Woodenlung

usual agenda driven bs
I wouldn't even call it agenda driven. It's pure knee jerking. You see a player struggle then immediately lay onto him without assessing the circumstances surrounding it. For instances AWB's problems attacking. It's true that he's struggling, but he's a full back. There's only so much he can do.

Your midfield is supposed to bear the brunt of the playmaking responsibility, but we struggle hugely in that area. McTominay and Fred are good ball winners but they aren't creative passers. Pogba barely plays and Matic is the same as the former two. If you've a functioning midfield you create chances through them and also give your full backs more space and licence to go forward because you've pinned the opposition defence back. We don't have that at United. TAA, the best attacking fullback in Europe, would struggle with how we're set up currently.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After half of season my verdict is;
Neither of them is flop but neither of them is a hit.
James is perfect example of one trick pony. Great for some games but never a starter for a team which wants to battle for titles. But i would buy him again because you need that kind of players on the bench.
Maguire is only solid defender and we should have spent that money much better. He will do basic job as any 20-30 mil defender does.
Awb is full back who is rock in defence but useless in attack.

So with that 150 mil we only add quality depth but not pure quality, players who make whole team better.

Dan_F

I wouldn't even call it agenda driven. It's pure knee jerking. You see a player struggle then immediately lay onto him without assessing the circumstances surrounding it. For instances AWB's problems attacking. It's true that he's struggling, but he's a full back. There's only so much he can do.

Your midfield is supposed to bear the brunt of the playmaking responsibility, but we struggle hugely in that area. McTominay and Fred are good ball winners but they aren't creative passers. Pogba barely plays and Matic is the same as the former two. If you've a functioning midfield you create chances through them and also give your full backs more space and licence to go forward because you've pinned the opposition defence back. We don't have that at United. TAA, the best attacking fullback in Europe, would struggle with how we're set up currently.
They fully sat off Matic in the first half and just waited to pounce on whoever he gave the ball too.

We’re expecting AWB to take on his opposite man with the ball at his feet, whereas that’s just not what an attacking fullback is supposed to be used for.

It’s at the point where I can’t tell if it’s the players ability, the type of players we’re buying or tactics. Or all of them.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Was just thinking this. It was looking for a while that his signings were the first in a while that weren’t flops but the heat is really turning up on Maguire and James has done very little in a while. AWB has been good though no doubt about that.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Was just thinking this. It was looking for a while that his signings were the first in a while that weren’t flops but the heat is really turning up on Maguire and James has done very little in a while. AWB has been good though no doubt about that.
Most of Arsenals successful attacks today started from the left today mind you.

SAFMUTD

It was obvious James wouldn’t hold the type on performances he gave on the first games, he’s a limited player that needs proper coaching. (Wont get it under Ole though) so we can expect the same from him every game, great effort with few results.

AWB has stagnated, he is great at defending which he already was at crystal palace and poor on attack, and again to get better he needs proper coaching he wont get it under Ole so we can expect him to perform at the same level.

Maguire on the other hand seems to be getting worst, maybe the pressure of the huge transfer fee over his shoulders, maybe the fact that our defense is undercoached? Anyway, he hardly will justify the sum paid for him.

OLLY ORANGE

Maguire I still feel will be alright in the long run as his skills with the ball are useful at the top level.

AWB has no place as a FB in a top 6 team. His place is in a bottom table team which only requires good defending. May be try him out at CB.

James was a punt at 20 mil and has been alright but I would still swap him with Adama of Wolves in a heartbeat and I think Adama is average.
With Bissaka, I agree, horrible defender to play against and a good defender even if he's unorthodox. His forward play is a big concern. He just doesn't seem comfortable trying to beat a man. With very little end product down the wing which is essential. I was thinking the same as a CB which is mind boggling really as we've only just bought him and i hate playing players out of position but our lack of attacking play down both flanks is plain to see.

Josep Dowling

I don’t like James at all. Such a limited player who only has pace. Reminds me of Traore at Middlesbrough.

We need to hire a decent coach to teach him how to play football.

Wolvereen

Said it before and I’ll say it again. We bought the wrong defender from Leicester. The buy should’ve been Ricardo Pereira who is outstanding in defense AND attack, and we should’ve looked elsewhere for a CB. Once again we’ve been taken to the cleaners for players who aren’t top top quality, yet their price dictates they should be. We keep getting recruitment wrong while spending much more than everyone else. Teams like Liverpool keep getting recruitment right. That’s the difference.

spiriticon

Said it before and I’ll say it again. We bought the wrong defender from Leicester. The buy should’ve been Ricardo Pereira who is outstanding in defense AND attack, and we should’ve looked elsewhere for a CB. Once again we’ve been taken to the cleaners for players who aren’t top top quality, yet their price dictates they should be. We keep getting recruitment wrong while spending much more than everyone else. Teams like Liverpool keep getting recruitment right. That’s the difference.
I don't get why the feck everyone on this forum had a hard on for Maguire and Alderweireld a couple of summers ago when Jose threw his strop. Bang average defenders then and bang average now.

Ed did the right thing to fob the pair off the first time. Too bad he couldn't stick to his principles.

Cloud7

Maguire seems to be getting worse doesn’t he? I’m not saying he’s a bad signing per se, but he definitely looked better during his first few games here.

Foxbatt

Maguire is not a bad defender. But all players need to practice and we never seem to practice at set pieces. Everyone knows it is going to be a high ball towards Maguire. There is not variation in our set pieces at all. If it is s free kick outside the box Rashford is going to hit it. If a corner a far post one for Maguire.

Paul_Scholes18

They are all Deadwood. Need Mbappe, Lewandowski, Messi, Van Dijk, De Bruyne and Kante this window. Then Ole might take us into top 4 and get records close to Moyes.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I think Maguire will come good next to a better and more proactive partner.

AWB and James will be squad fill ins when we buy/have better players cone through.

AWB's only hope will be us signing a really good attacking left back and a good RW and he can play his supportive role on attack.

Foxbatt

The biggest deadwood now that needs to be cleaned out is the Manager.

Wolvereen

Maguire is not a bad defender. But all players need to practice and we never seem to practice at set pieces. Everyone knows it is going to be a high ball towards Maguire. There is not variation in our set pieces at all. If it is s free kick outside the box Rashford is going to hit it. If a corner a far post one for Maguire.
Maguire had a set piece land beautifully on his head today from Fred, and it was a soft bounce to Leno for the save.

Felt like Maguire scored at least 5 headers last season for Leicester. Of course now that he’s with us, he forgets how to head a ball. What game was it again where he was all alone for a simple header, and it went wide?

Foxbatt

Maguire had a set piece land beautifully on his head today from Fred, and it was a soft bounce to Leno for the save.

Felt like Maguire scored at least 5 headers last season for Leicester. Of course now that he’s with us, he forgets how to head a ball. What game was it again where he was all alone for a simple header, and it went wide?
I really do not think we work on any corners in practice. If we did we would be taking the near post corner flicks.

Mcking

Exactly my thoughts, all three.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

For a record british transfer yes they are an embrassing flop.

They're doing ok if we use a midtable standard. All 3 of them would stick like a rabbit in the headlight at any top 4 club.