How long will Liverpool's dominance last?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool will thrive for as long as the players are coached well. Avoiding glib discussions about transfer fees and net spend, I think the key to Liverpool emerging as a force is down to extremely strong coaching and player development. It sounds simple but doesn't appear to be the norm when considering how other top squads flounder. While top stars may leave in the next year or so, Liverpool will remain strong if the coaching set-up remains the same.

The Dortmund comparison is misdirection; Klopp was forced into squad building there due to the sale of top stars. At Liverpool he's keeping a core of excellent talent together which will evolve over time rather than them being forced into a revamp which would see regression.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Reminds me of a similar thread from 2015. How long will Chelsea dominate the league after Jose's return. I'm sure something similar was said for City.

Can see them dropping off next year. They've been able to play almost with the same starting xi game after game, and have rode their luck at times. Everything is clicking this season.
People said that this year.
They will be there abouts again next season if Klopp is still in charge and their squad still in tact.They will also be chasing the 20th title.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
We'll be competitive for as long as Klopp stays at the club. It's anyone's guess though if we can become a dominant force again. Unless, or until, United find their new Ferguson, Arsenal find their new Wenger, & Chelsea find another Jose, then you can't really see past either City or Liverpool winning the league in the near future. We've been pretty much on an upward trajectory ever since Jurgen took over. That's obviously not going to continue, but provided we remain a difficult side to beat it's hard not to see us challenging for top honours whilst he is here. We have a very settled structure now at Liverpool. Really good people doing a really good job in the coaching, recruitment, & managerial positions.

youngrell

Liverpool will thrive for as long as the players are coached well. Avoiding glib discussions about transfer fees and net spend, I think the key to Liverpool emerging as a force is down to extremely strong coaching and player development. It sounds simple but doesn't appear to be the norm when considering how other top squads flounder. While top stars may leave in the next year or so, Liverpool will remain strong if the coaching set-up remains the same.

The Dortmund comparison is misdirection; Klopp was forced into squad building there due to the sale of top stars. At Liverpool he's keeping a core of excellent talent together which will evolve over time rather than them being forced into a revamp which would see regression.
I think there's more at play than just great coaching. You have a very good mentality in the squad which is evident by you winning so many games while not firing on all cylinders.

It remains to be seen how finally winning a league title will effect that mentality.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win the league next year.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

I'd say that Klopp is now in a position whereby top players will want to join him rather than leave him.

LeapOfFaith

Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win the league next year.
I think City and Liverpool will be the main title challengers for the next 4-5 years. Chelsea and Utd will then come into the mix Utd may be sooner if they get a better manager.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
I think as long as Klopp is at the helm, we'll be competitive. Doesn't mean we will always be at the top, but I can see us being there at least until next year; that is if sign a player or two (considering Mo and Mane's absence during the AFCON).

All the big clubs in England are in transition, and I believe even City will be soon, which gives us room to stay far and away from everyone.

Fts 74

I honestly think the days of domination are long gone.

These things always seem to come up when a team is as dominant as they are at the moment.

As has already been said, Arsenals invincibles, Mourinho 's Chelsea and of course City who for my money anyway are still a better team when all fully fit and play better football than the scousers were all meant to dominate for years but didn't.

They are a great team, well drilled and coached and play with such intensity it's almost inconceivable they won't drop off at some stage.

Everything seems to have clicked for them lately on and off the field it wasn't so long ago we were laughing at their transfer committee now its the best thing since sliced bread, remember for example the praise Steve Foster I think it was at Leicester was getting when they won the league for his shrewd signings where is he now?

The scouse media love in is excruciating it really is and I'm beginning to think the caf is obsessed with them as well.

Honestly, I don't really care, all I'm interested in is us becoming competitive again so we can go to the likes of Anfield and give them a proper game.

theklr

In spite of their results, they dont play as good as City did the time they took the double.

They have been lucky enough games to show that it is not an utter dominance.

Also, City will be back in force next year.

ExecutionerWasp001

They are going to mop up a few titles in the next few years. City might pip them next season but after that they will have a few years uncontested like they've had this year.

There will be a big drop off at City when Pep leaves. This will also coincide with the need to replace the fulcrums of the team in Aguero & Fernandinho. They have Jesus & Rodri but these 2 don't appear up to it atm.

There is no ambition of the owners at Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal to challenge. Spurs were building but are now going backwards due to the stadium debt. There's little quality outside of the traditional big 6. Leicester & Wolves are the best of a bad bunch but even then CL qualification is their limit rather than title challenges.

The only glimmer is player unrest derailing Liverpool. They are projected to post PL record revenues very soon. I'm sure some agents & players will be thinking they want a bigger piece of the pie they've helped bake.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Couple years at most. This isn’t like yesteryear. I say all the time that at the start of next season, they won’t even be guaranteed a place in the CL let alone the title. That goes for any PL winner at the moment. The standard and competition at the top end is incredible. And the resources are there for many.

El Zoido

At least three more years of this, minimum. Could see Klopp doing a decade there tbh.

lysglimt

Scout
Considering they will have to break up their squad within 2-3 years - probably not that long.

2.5 seasons at the most

OleTheGreat

It is ridiculous to think that a club of such stature will leave or go down so easily but the Premier League is not an easy one. Even though the fight is about the top 6 clubs, all the smaller teams contribute in pushing a bigger team down. City were imperious for 2 years but Liverpool rose and also teams like Norwich helped in their downfall. Therefore every season is different and we can even see United in the mix in the upcoming season. Regardless of the manager at the helm. So, they might not winning anything next season or i'd like to say we will.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They are going to mop up a few titles in the next few years. City might pip them next season but after that they will have a few years uncontested like they've had this year.

You can't talk years ahead like this - football doesn't work like that.
There's plenty of examples in the last 15 years of teams who have cruised titles, been expected to last forever, and funnily enough combusting within a season or so.

Teams work out how to play against teams. They rise to the challenge. Players and form dip.
Hunger disappears.

This is why we love football, as there are no certainties in this way.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Haven't City won something like 4 of the last 6 leagues?

Maybe wait until they go more than 5 minutes without winning it to proclaim anyone else as "dominating"

This is a bit like deciding to have a Pot Noodle for lunch for the first time in 10 years and then wondering how long Pot Noodles are going to "dominate" your diet for.
More people need to read this

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Maybe wait until they go more than 5 minutes without winning it to proclaim anyone else as "dominating"

This is a bit like deciding to have a Pot Noodle for lunch for the first time in 10 years and then wondering how long Pot Noodles are going to "dominate" your diet for.
Agree with this. Didn't actually realise that City had won 4/6. Liverpool are winning their first league title in 30 years. Talk of domination is premature to say the least. They've dominated this league campaign, of course. But a dominant force in this league takes multiple league titles usually spanning 4-5 years at least.

Judas

Open to offers
It's true, how can Liverpool dominate the league when City currently are. It's like saying Leicester are going to dominate after their title win, its one championship. They've dominated this particular season, but it takes more than one great year to be an era.

Bestietom

We need 5/6 players to catch up with them., But getting rid of players FIRST, will be our biggest problem.
Over 200 million worth of players moving out quickly, would certainly help bringing TOP players in.

RedNed77

Havertz, Werner and Sancho will also be looked at other clubs, will Liverpool pay the wages other clubs will?

For Instance, Salah and VVD are on 200k a week, and sancho will want for example 220k, will that unsettle Mane, bobby and the like?
This will create an issue. Additionally, if for instance Pool continue on their stroll to the title and also manage to pick up the CL again, you have to think that their players are going to start picking up Ballon D'ors. When that happens are said players really going to be happy with their £200k p/w? Doesn't seem likely to me and I'd question whether pool have it in in their finances for the domino effect it starts having on their squads when they start paying certain members the £350k+ p/w which is the going rate. Yes they'll have more trophy money, but it takes a bit of time for all the financial metrics to start catching up. It'll be interesting (in a sickening kind of way) to see how it all pans out.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I log on to redcafe and this is the thread at the top of the page. Just getting more depressing being a United fan every day.

JoaquinJoaquin

In my honest opinion I think this team probably has another 2 seasons after this one. They may not win the league all of those times, but they will definitely be in the mix.

If Michael Edwards continues his magic behind the scenes then I see no reason why it cannot go on further unfortunately. He has been in a position where pretty much all of his signings have worked out thus far (apart from Karius), so he will no doubt have a spell where he makes a couple of bad decisions. That is where they will be tested.

Toni Roncoroni

I think they will be up top for the next few years and playing for the big trophies. The core of their group is really good, also age-wise. The facilities are there and it seems like they have the right people working in every section of the club. Also they will be able to strengthen further.

I guess that City will be back next season as well. The other teams will need a lot more time. Maybe Chelsea will play their part.

I don't see us getting back to the top for the next few years with Woodward and Ole in charge. It seems like he can take as much time as he wants to. And let's be honest: why would any of our targets join us if they can go to City, Liverpool or maybe even Chelsea (apart from Real Madrid and Barcelona). Depressing times ahead I guess.

Siorac

Agree with this. Didn't actually realise that City had won 4/6. Liverpool are winning their first league title in 30 years. Talk of domination is premature to say the least. They've dominated this league campaign, of course. But a dominant force in this league takes multiple league titles usually spanning 4-5 years at least.
City didn't actually win 4 out of the last 6 though. They won the last two but before that it was Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea. With Liverpool winning it this year it will be 2 out of 6 for City.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
They've spent well and all their players are at a good age. It pisses me off that the sale of Coutinho is mostly responsible for this.
Imagine if we had sold Pogba and used that money to buy a good creative AM (Bruno) + a good DFM. We could have been comfortably in top 4 now instead of having a very expensive player who hasn’t played pretty much all season and doesn’t really want to be here.

But suggesting to sell Pogba is blasphemy!

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
I think we'll remain competitive until Klopp stays and after that if we get our next manager appointment correct. I'd pity whoever takes the hot seat from Klopp as he'll get compared to Klopp all the time.
Coming back to Klopp, he has learnt from his mistakes and is not afraid to adapt as per the requirement. His gegenpressing style is hardly used nowdays and we now control the game much better.
As others pointed out, he extended his contract with a view to set us on the right path before he leaves which means we may see new team (and hopefully new superstars) as current team needs to be refreshed next season. We may not remain dominant like United in 90's and 00's but I guess we'll remain in top 4 as long as Klopp is there.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City didn't actually win 4 out of the last 6 though. They won the last two but before that it was Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea. With Liverpool winning it this year it will be 2 out of 6 for City.
On second look this is correct.

Over the past 10 years City have won 4, Chelsea 3, United 2 and Leicester 1.

Still, it does show how ridiculous the premise of this thread is.

diarm

They haven't even won the league officially yet, let alone dealt with trying to back it up the second season.

So talk of dominance is premature. The same stuff has been said about City whenever they win the league and they've yet to properly stamp themselves as a dominant force, especially in Europe.

Liverpool also don't have City's ability to funnel off-books payments through their companies and tax havens in order to ward off suiters from Madrid, Barcelona, Turin, Paris and Munich so let's see how dominant they are once their stars start having their heads turned.

City will go big this summer and look in particular to replace the leadership they lost in Kompany last year. In terms of pure ability, I still think they're a better side than Liverpool and if Pep can bring in the leaders they need to drive that focus and consistency you need to mount a proper title challenge, I reckon they can win it back in 2021.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Don't think these cycles are going to last as long as they used to with the current levels of cash and investment throughout the league.

Zlatattack

Reminds me of a similar thread from 2015. How long will Chelsea dominate the league after Jose's return. I'm sure something similar was said for City.

Can see them dropping off next year. They've been able to play almost with the same starting xi game after game, and have rode their luck at times. Everything is clicking this season.
Agree. Honestly the negativity on here makes me worry about people's mental wellbeing.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
My bullish answer to this thread is that Poo will "do a Leicester", ie win it once then struggle to repeat the feat (hopefully for another 30 years). But my head over heart answer is that they'll keep winning until Klopp runs out of hugs, and there's no sign of that right now. On Sunday he hugged that many players and staff that many times I thought he was going to start hugging the crowd next. He's not only got them playing amazing football, with absolute confidence, but he's making sure they all enjoy it too. Compare that to Pep's sour faced demeanor. Its annoying how impossible it is to dislike Klopp

Tango80

I give it maybe 2 years tops although it'll be closer next year hopefully.

The thing with their players is I don't see any jumping ship to real / barca any time as I think because that Liverpool team is strong collectively, individually they aren't. And they probably know it.

VVD, Allison and maybe TAA would be successes elsewhere. Anyone else I think would struggle. Take someone like Firminho and stick him in Madrids side, he will flop big time.

ants7

Until someone seriously challenges them?
Was thinking the same thing. Other teams from the former "Great four" (Chelsea, Arsenal, United) are all in shambles/transition etc. I'm not sure that one of the lesser teams will suddenly come strong enough to break in and challenge, although Brent is doing fine in Leicester... City is also currently bit shaky and you wouldn't bet to win them every fixture at the moment. I guess until one of these teams pull their finger out and start moving things in the right direction, Klopp will not have any problems to run the league. Of course, there's always a chance of some other team winning the jackpot and get taken over by Saudis etc. (:angel:). Then this pack of cards is mixed again.

Infra-red

I expect City will get their act together pretty quickly. They'll probably sanction big spending in the summer and look to freshen up their side. Proper two horse race again next season.

I don't see any of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or United overhauling Liverpool in the next two seasons, though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think we'll even retain the title next season. Mane & Salah will miss two months including January for the African Cup of Nations and I expect City to bounce back.

People always go on about an era of dominance from this side or that, but since SAF retired it hasn't materialized. I think that we'll not see a manager dominate the Premier League like that for a long time.