Film How many Oscar winning Best Picture movies have you seen in the 21st century?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I agree that as a movie Crash is one of those movies that doesn't really belong in that list compared to actual cinematic greatness. However, like Argo and some others I think there are some winners that are a sign of their times. Don't forget Crash touched on some extremely sensitive things no one dared say out loud when that came out. The scene talking about why bus windows are so large stuck with me. Especially because it explained so much about America that may not necessarily apply in other parts of the world (public transit being for poor people).

My favorites are The Departed and Gladiator. I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy but to me the Two Towers was the best out of the 3. I do understand the Oscar for RotK was really for all 3 of em in a way however.

The only movie on that list that really didn't connect with me at all was Moonlight.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Was about to ask the same. Really like the movie.
I feel that its one of those movies that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around. I liked it too but I can understand why someone didn't.

On another note Birdman made me think of another movie highlighting "psychological issues" that I'd argue should have won an Oscar: Still Alice with Julianne Moore as a professor suffering from Alzheimer's. Absolutely brilliant imho, though obviously depressing too. It did give me a lot more appreciation for the good times in life. Though I guess Moore won best actress for it so perhaps that makes up for it.

noelyman

Seen all except CODA and I’m shocked I missed that. I wonder if I started watching and hated it …I literally have no clue, zero recollection of it but I need to look it up now.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Such an underwhelming list of films, now that i look at it. I've watched all of them.

I'd pick American Beauty or Parasite. I would add the LotR as a trilogy, but The Return of the Kind was the weakest of the three films.

There are some good ones i enjoyed, like The Gladiator, The Departed, No Country For Old Men, Moonlight, A Beautiful Mind, 12 Years A Slave, Everything... but, at the same time, i feel that the Oscar crossed them over the river and into the overrated category.

Some others are just meh...

CODA, The Shape of Water, Crash, Chicago, The Artist and The King's Speech, i don't think they deserved the nomination, let alone the award. LaLa Land was spared the same fate at the very last second.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
  • 2020 - "Parasite"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2008 - "No Country for Old Men"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2004 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2002 - "A Beautiful Mind"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
  • 2000 - "American Beauty"
I've only seen that bunch.

Best is No Country for Old Men.
Worst is Chicago.

Birdman is an excellent movie - weird so many people didn't like it.

Also, I loved American Beauty when it came out, but I've randomly read a few articles over the years saying it hasn't aged well and it's underserving of its award. Should probably re-watch it.

CoopersDream

Seen them all. Think it's generally a strong group of movies.

My favorite would be No Country For Old Men as it is my all time favorite. Return of the King, Parasite and The Departed are all brilliant films as well.

My least favorite would be Slumdog Millionaire. Haven't seen it since it was new, but remember that being one of the biggest dissapointments I've seen. I also wasn't particularly keen on The Artist or Birdman either. Not bad films, though.

Withnail

I think that Oscar was basically for the trilogy, but yes: So. Many. Endings. Although I actually thought pt 2 was the worst: clearly an 'in-between' film, and clearly Jackson was also out of ideas on how to keep switching between the storylines (let's do another 'swooping in' shot!).
The second one could have been the worst to be fair. It's all kind of merged together but I distinctly remember being annoyed at the second 'ending' only to have to endure a third :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Also which is your favourite and least favourite of the ones you have watched

• 2022 - "Everything Everywhere All At Once"
  • 2021 - "CODA"
  • 2020 - "Parasite"
  • 2019 - "Green Book"
  • 2018 - "The Shape of Water"
  • 2017 - "Moonlight"
  • 2016 - "Spotlight"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2014 - "12 Years a Slave"
  • 2013 - "Argo"
  • 2012 - "The Artist"
  • 2011 - "The King's Speech"
  • 2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
  • 2009 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
Seen - 18
Favourite - ROTK
Least Favourite - Birdman
Seen: 12
Favorite: ROTK
Least favorite: Birdman.

RORY65

It's funny how basically none of us have seen CODA. Let alone heard of it. I never saw it either (nor heard about it until this thread for that matter).
It's nothing special but is a charming enough movie. I think part of the reason nobody has heard of it is that it's an Apple TV movie that came out during the pandemic, albeit the pandemic is also probably the only reason it won the Oscar in the first place.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Seen all of them except The Shape of Water that I have no interest in seeing despite actually liking Del Toro's stuff.

Gladiator, American Beauty, LOTR, No Country, Hurt Locker, 12 years a slave, Moonlight, Parasite and CODA were all ok/good/very good films. Whether they were the best that year is obviously debatable, but I don't find thos accolades particularly shocking.

Some of the others, though...
Pretend Brokeback Mountain won, and Crash becomes much better
Doesn't work at all. Also was up against Capote and Good night and good luck, neither being particularly amazing but both infinitely better than that turd that is Crash. It's quite hard to emphasize just how awful a film it is.

Idxomer

All of them.

Best is No Country and Parasite with Million Dollar Baby right behind them.

Worst is CODA.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I feel that its one of those movies that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around. I liked it too but I can understand why someone didn't.

On another note Birdman made me think of another movie highlighting "psychological issues" that I'd argue should have won an Oscar: Still Alice with Julianne Moore as a professor suffering from Alzheimer's. Absolutely brilliant imho, though obviously depressing too. It did give me a lot more appreciation for the good times in life. Though I guess Moore won best actress for it so perhaps that makes up for it.
I thought Birdman was ok, just very much felt like a director trying to show off, to an extent. I didn't particularly connect with any of it, though there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it and it's not offensive it won like Crash for example.

Still Alice was a wonderful film. The Father is another in that "genre" that is a tough watch but beautiful film.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I haven't seen:

Shape of Water
Moonlight
The Artist
Chicago
A Beautiful Mind

Favourites: 1. ROTK 2. Parasite 3. Slimdog

Least: 1. Birdman 2. Million Dollar Baby 3. Hurt Locker/Spotlight

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I haven't seen:

Shape of Water
Moonlight
The Artist
Chicago
A Beautiful Mind

Favourites: 1. ROTK 2. Parasite 3. Slimdog

Least: 1. Birdman 2. Million Dollar Baby 3. Hurt Locker/Spotlight
You should really see Moonlight. Beautiful film.

A beautiful mind is a fine (loosely based on reality) biopic with a good performance by Crowe and the always excellent Ed Harris. I haven't seen it in ages but I'm sure it feels very early 2000s nowadays.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You should really see Moonlight. Beautiful film.

A beautiful mind is a fine (loosely based on reality) biopic with a good performance by Crowe and the always excellent Ed Harris. I haven't seen it in ages but I'm sure it feels very early 2000s nowadays.
Its the only film of the one's I haven't seen that I want to watch - just never got round to putting it on.

Zero interest in seeing the rest. I guess I would watch a Beautiful Mind, but like you said, it probably feels very 2000's now.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Also which is your favourite and least favourite of the ones you have watched

• 2022 - "Everything Everywhere All At Once"
  • 2021 - "CODA"
  • 2020 - "Parasite"
  • 2019 - "Green Book"
  • 2018 - "The Shape of Water"
  • 2017 - "Moonlight"
  • 2016 - "Spotlight"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2013 - "Argo"
  • 2012 - "The Artist"
  • 2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
Seen - 18
Favourite - ROTK
Least Favourite - Birdman
Everyone up to the last two.

Least favourite: Gladiator /Chicago
Favourite: Birdman/Spotlight

Cloud7

Gladiator is one of my top 3 favorite movies ever.
Return of the king is high on the list somewhere as well.

I have seen five of them.

I didn't really enjoy parasite that much. Like I totally get the themes that the movie was trying to portray and stuff but I can't say it was a particularly enjoyable watch.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Compared to the previous 20 years, I don;t know seems underwhelming, also the nominees in some of these years are ludicrous!

1980 - Ordinary People
1981 - Chariots of Fire
1982 - Gandhi
1983 - Terms of Endearment
1984 - Amadeus
1985 - Out of Africa
1986 - Platoon
1987 - The Last Emperor
1988 - Rain Main
1989 - Driving Miss Daisy
1990 - Dances With Wolves
1991 - Silence of the Lambs
1992 - Unforgiven
1993 - Schindler's List
1994 - Forrest Gump
1995 - Braveheart
1996 - The English Patient
1997 - Titanic
1998 - Shakespeare in Love
1999 - American Beauty

So you missed NOMADLAND which was 2020, CODA was 2021 etc.

GueRed

I've seen nine.

• 2020 - "Parasite"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
Favourite is probably Gladiator or The Departed

RedDevil@84

Surprised so many people dislike Birdman. What did you not like about it?
Birdman had mixed fan reviews when it was released. I think the words boring and pretentious were the most thrown around when it was released.

Jev

Birdman had mixed fan reviews when it was released. I think the words boring and pretentious were the most thrown around when it was released.
Pretentious I can understand but it puzzles me how someone could find it boring. The tempo is relentless and the combination of the constant, pulsating soundtrack and the simulated one-take with some very dynamic camera work made it one of the most intense viewing experiences I’ve had. I think it’s a masterpiece personally but understand why it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, just seemed like it was almost everyone’s least favourite cup of tea in here, which strikes me as odd when it’s compared to such heavy-handed films as Slumdog, The King’s Speech, Million Dollar Baby, Green Book, and Crash.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Compared to the previous 20 years, I don;t know seems underwhelming, also the nominees in some of these years are ludicrous!

1980 - Ordinary People
1981 - Chariots of Fire
1982 - Gandhi
1984 - Amadeus
1985 - Out of Africa
1986 - Platoon
1987 - The Last Emperor
1988 - Rain Main
1992 - Unforgiven
1993 - Schindler's List
1994 - Forrest Gump
1995 - Braveheart
1997 - Titanic
1999 - American Beauty

Which list would you call underwhelming then? Cause if I look at the titles in your post here, there's also a lot of stuff in there I don't rate quite that high - like Chariots of Fire (maybe I need to see it again) Rain Man, Dances With Wolves (both rather sentimental fare), Braveheart (no better than Gladiator), and Shakespeare in Love. These are all fine movies; I'm not saying any of them are crap. But that's the same with the 2000-now list. I don't really see a massive difference in quality between them.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Pretentious I can understand but it puzzles me how someone could find it boring. The tempo is relentless and the combination of the constant, pulsating soundtrack and the simulated one-take with some very dynamic camera work made it one of the most intense viewing experiences I’ve had. I think it’s a masterpiece personally but understand why it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, just seemed like it was almost everyone’s least favourite cup of tea in here, which strikes me as odd when it’s compared to such heavy-handed films as Slumdog, The King’s Speech, Million Dollar Baby, Green Book, and Crash.
Those things can be repetitive, and therefore a bit boring.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Which list would you call underwhelming then? Cause if I look at the titles in your post here, there's also a lot of stuff in there I don't rate quite that high - like Chariots of Fire (maybe I need to see it again) Rain Man, Dances With Wolves (both rather sentimental fare), Braveheart (no better than Gladiator), and Shakespeare in Love. These are all fine movies; I'm not saying any of them are crap. But that's the same with the 2000-now list. I don't really see a massive difference in quality between them.
Fewer "meh" films in his list, IMHO. Shakespeare in Love sticks out like a sore thumb, but i'd take some well-served Hollywood sentimentality over heavy-handed films like Crash, The King's Speech, the Green Book or The Shape of Water. Also, for me Braveheart, despite its many flaws, works better than Gladiator. I also suspect that if we have a closer look at the rest of the nominees for each year, the winners of the previous decade will be in much better company.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

1980 - Ordinary People
1981 - Chariots of Fire
1982 - Gandhi
1984 - Amadeus
1985 - Out of Africa
1986 - Platoon
1987 - The Last Emperor
1988 - Rain Main
1992 - Unforgiven
1993 - Schindler's List
1994 - Forrest Gump
1995 - Braveheart
1997 - Titanic
1999 - American Beauty

Yes. I copy pasted off a website though. So it was their fault

American Beauty did win it in year 2000 but they were they 1999 movies nominated

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Liked LotR the most.
Didn't really care for Birdman, but I might just not be hipster enough.

Oldyella

Missed CODA, Green Book, Spotlight, Birdman & The Artist

Favourite - No Country for Old Men
Least Favourite - American Beauty I think. Not seen it for years though, maybe I would have a different opinion now

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Fewer "meh" films in his list, IMHO. Shakespeare in Love sticks out like a sore thumb, but i'd take some well-served Hollywood sentimentality over heavy-handed films like Crash, The King's Speech, the Green Book or The Shape of Water. Also, for me Braveheart, despite its many flaws, works better than Gladiator. I also suspect that if we have a closer look at the rest of the nominees for each year, the winners of the previous decade will be in much better company.
Yeah that's shite tbh

CoopersDream

I'd say that the general quality of the winners of the past 20 years was better than 80's and 90's winners. I can certainly see an argument that the latter group has the weakest winners (Crash and Green Book), but there are a lot of really strong winners as well. As far as I am concerned there are a lot more winners from the former group that are neither here nor there really, I can see why they won but they haven't really stood the test of time.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I saw all those except 12 Years a Slave, Chicago, and Nomadland.

Best one is No Country for Old Men, by a pretty comfortable margin I think.

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Choices have really been questionable since 2010 or so.

Not because the movies are bad, but they're picking movies that aren't really all that popular with either audiences or film buffs and aren't going to be remembered as best of the decade.