Film How many Oscar winning Best Picture movies have you seen in the 21st century?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Seen them all except for CODA, Moonlight, The Artist and Chicago.

No Country my favourite.

Don't actively dislike any but a fair few are meh... Crash, Kings Speech, Slumdog, Million Dollar Baby...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
:lol: sorry wasn't meant in any disparaging way, just a reflection of how I feel about his films from a personal viewpoint. I wouldn't make anyone feel bad for liking anything. Except Crash. If you like Crash you should really have a talk with yourself.
I got it on my last to watch again. I'll let you know in a few weeks. :wenger:
That’s ok. I will join you sooner than I’d like to admit.
I'm not even that old yet. :( (Tell that to my knee!)

arnie_ni

Ive seen 9. Spotlight was the last one.

Of the 9 I've seen I've rewatched them all multiple times except crash, 12 years a slave and LOTR

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Underwhelming in which way? This list is a much worse group of films than the 2000 - Present Day period.
The 90s part of the list is pretty good. A lot of those movies are well-regarded by critics and/or audiences, quite a few are iconic. I don't like all the movies, but they have a lot of appeal. It's a good representation of the great Hollywood film (Titanic, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Dances with Wolves). The 80s is more hit-or-miss.

The list of winners since then... the movies got good reviews, but they're not what is generally considered 'the best of the 21st century' by critics (with a few exceptions). But they're also not that popular with audiences either (most of the lowest-grossing Best Picture winners are from the 21st century). They're just somewhat random movies that win because of Oscar campaign, temporary narratives, and counter-narratives (a growing desire not to give to to 'the favorite'). This is especially true since 2010.

CoopersDream

The 90s part of the list is pretty good. A lot of those movies are well-regarded by critics and/or audiences, quite a few are iconic. I don't like all the movies, but they have a lot of appeal. It's a good representation of the great Hollywood film (Titanic, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Dances with Wolves). The 80s is more hit-or-miss.

The list of winners since then... the movies got good reviews, but they're not what is generally considered 'the best of the 21st century' by critics (with a few exceptions). But they're also not that popular with audiences either (most of the lowest-grossing Best Picture winners are from the 21st century). They're just somewhat random movies that win because of Oscar campaign, temporary narratives, and counter-narratives (a growing desire not to give to to 'the favorite'). This is especially true since 2010.
I'd say that the winner's in 00's are every bit as good as the 90's winners in terms of being well regarded amongst critics and audiences. The only blip was really picking The Hurt Locker over Avatar, which one can have whatever opinion one want about.

It's true that since 2010 the picks has generally been less popular with audiences. But that doesn't really mean they're worse picks - just that the chosen smaller films over the more popular alternatives amongst audiences. There's still a number of really highly regarded films both by audiences and critics. I'd still have the winners of the 10's over the 80's winners any day.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If they were just less popular with audiences that'd be fine. But they're also not as popular with critics, at least in the long term.

The highest rated movies of the 2010s according to Metacritic were Boyhood, Moonlight, Roma, Manchester by the Sea, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Carol, and The Social Network. The list of movies that appeared in most critics' lists were: Mad Max, Moonlight, Social Network, Get Out, Under the Skin, Tree of Life, Inception, Inside Llewyin Davis, Boyhood, and The Master. The only Best Picture winners from those two lists are Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, and Parasite.

I only see two winners in the Letterboxd Top 50 of the 2010s (Moonlight and Parasite).

'Popularity' is hard to compare since it's two different decades and consumer habits changed a lot. But at least 5 movies from the 1990s were in the top-10 box office that year (Dances with Wolves, Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Titanic) and outgrossed the most successful BP winner of the 2010s (The King's Speech) when you account for inflation.

CoopersDream

If they were just less popular with audiences that'd be fine. But they're also not as popular with critics, at least in the long term.

The highest rated movies of the 2010s according to Metacritic were Boyhood, Moonlight, Roma, Manchester by the Sea, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Carol, and The Social Network. The list of movies that appeared in most critics' lists were: Mad Max, Moonlight, Social Network, Get Out, Under the Skin, Tree of Life, Inception, Inside Llewyin Davis, Boyhood, and The Master. The only Best Picture winners from those two lists are Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, and Parasite.

I only see two winners in the Letterboxd Top 50 of the 2010s (Moonlight and Parasite).

'Popularity' is hard to compare since it's two different decades and consumer habits changed a lot. But at least 5 movies from the 1990s were in the top-10 box office that year (Dances with Wolves, Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Titanic) and outgrossed the most successful BP winner of the 2010s (The King's Speech) when you account for inflation.
There's no doubt the the 90's was a stronger decade for film than 2010's (at least for American film). That comparision will always have the 90's coming out on top. There's a number of years from 10's that are quite weak overall.

It's never going to be 100% overlap between critics best of the decade lists and the Best Picture winners. All the winners have been highly acclaimed by critics (with the exception of Green Book), even if many of them haven't been the top pick of the year. There's also clearly a bit of a change in how the academy votes nowadays compared to earlier times (stuff like Gravity, The Revenant and La La Land would probably have won in the 90's over their respective competition).

Another thing to consider is that I would think that the voting body (which is huge) generally sees more films these days than back in the days. If we go back to the 80's the only chance to see the films was basically in the cinema, whereas now availability is much higher which should have an impact as well.

As far as only two in the top 50 of the decade on letterboxd, I would think that is pretty standard. Looking through the list from 80's and 90's the only winners in the top 50 would probably be Amadeus, Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List and maybe Unforgiven. Regarding the box office success - as you say the consumer habits have drastically changed, especially over the past 15 years. Nowadays the big hits are almost exclusively comic-book movies, sequels, live-action remakes or other uninspired stuff. Those are generally not going to win Best Picture. This year Oppenheimer will probably take it, which is obviously a step in the right direction in some way.

Last edited: