How much time is enough time to gauge Ole?

RedAlert27

Give him to the end of the season at least.

What is the point of bringing in a new manager with this team? The players have to take more responsibility on the pitch.
We needed at least 3 more signings in the summer, but his it Ole's fault he didn't get them?

Whilst I agree some of his starting choices like Mata and Matic are frustrating, who else were we supposed to start yesterday? Fred and Gomes had played most the game Thursday and were more than likely unable to play a full 90 minutes again. Lack of squad depth due to no reinforcements in the summer is the real problem.

Fluctuation0161

This was going to be inevitable with the stance/direction the board has taken. Buy young talents while getting rid of the misfits. There's still work to be done with the building of this squad and still more deadwood to ship out. I don't think Ole will be there to see it through, but whoever the next manager is, they have the unenviable task to stick with this direction the club has taken.
The direction isn't to buy young talents. It's to spend as little as possible £65m net spend.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The bridge is too far,

If Ole took us around 4th you can argue he'll only get better with more time and another windows. At this rate even if he magically becomes twice as good we're still 4th, and that's a big IF

Ravel96

He should be given up to March and if he isn't even near top 4 he needs to be sacked. It should be even earlier if he continues this relegation form

Micky Targaryen

Seriously stop banging on about the Fergie crap. Fergie is a one in a generation manager. Times have changed. Football has changed. Clubs around the world are getting richer, players prices are getting more and more inflated. Top clubs are more ruthless with their managers and rightly so. We keep mocking plastic clubs like Man City, PSG or Madrid, but they keep raking in the trophies. So who's laughing now? Everyone can afford to sign expensive players and if we keep living in nostalgia, we will sink into mediocrity forever.

NWRed

Seriously stop banging on about the Fergie crap. Fergie is a one in a generation manager. Times have changed. Football has changed. Clubs around the world are getting richer, players prices are getting more and more inflated. Top clubs are more ruthless with their managers and rightly so. We keep mocking plastic clubs like Man City, PSG or Madrid, but they keep raking in the trophies. So who's laughing now? Everyone can afford to sign expensive players and if we keep living in nostalgia, we will sink into mediocrity forever.
Seriously, have some fecking patience. If the thread starter and people like him had their way SAF would have been gone in 89/90 and no one would have known he was a once in a generation manager.

dove

Seriously, have some fecking patience. If the thread starter and people like him had their way SAF would have been gone in 89/90 and no one would have known he was a once in a generation manager.
Yeah because every manager will turn into SAF if we give him 5 years.

Kostov

He does need time, but he is not doing a good job and I don't think he will ever be good enough. The thing is who would come in and solve the problems? It's not only the manager, the rot is much deeper and it's clear that it can't be solved with a manager change.

fergieisold

Are you able to edit the thread title? Should read gauge instead of gage.

He’s already had enough time. The team is lifeless, gutless and clueless after six games.
Do you honestly think any other manager would do any better with the players we have? Maybe if we got big Sam in we'd grind out some results but Ole clearly is trying to play attacking football. Our first problem is we don't have any recognised strikers.

In the team that played today it is likely only a few would ever be starters at a top club.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Well, considering they've nailed him to a contract, should get the season, minimum.

I think really some actual investment needs to go into the creativity of the squad. We're devoid of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well, considering they've nailed him to a contract, should get the season, minimum.

I think really some actual investment needs to go into the creativity of the squad. We're devoid of it.
I'm tempted to propose that we tell him to achieve something (decent, cohesive football etc) with this lot before he gets to spend more. His competiton for top 4 is some poor sides as well. If he's a quality coach I think he should beat them to it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm tempted to propose that we tell him to achieve something (decent, cohesive football etc) with this lot before he gets to spend more. His competiton for top 4 is some poor sides as well. If he's a quality coach I think he should beat them to it.
I think if we have Pogba and Martial yesterday, we win that game easy, so I can see a style coming through. The issue for me is our top 4 squad is as deep as our first XI. Any injuries and we're forced to play youth players or shite.

EireRed_GS

im still not judging him just yet. He's basically working with scraps. Fighting with an arm tied behind his back and his feet tied together. Trying to do a jigsaw with half the pieces missing. etc.. He's made one or two questionable decisions, but christ, he really is working with some lads that shouldn't be near the club.

Hes made right moves in sorting the defence, shipping out deadwood, developing youth and giving them a chance. He's been massively let down by Ed in replacing these players with some proper quality. Im tired of twitter warriors saying 'But he said himself he's happy with his squad!?"... Of course hes gonna say that. Hes not Jose, where he ruins the mood by saying my players are shit!. Any manager goes down that line is gonna lose the dressing room & their job quick. Im sure behind the scenes he is absolutely fuming. Even Roy Keane, who is personal friend of his, said the same yesterday, he's sure he's blowing his top behind doors.

If Ole gets to bring in the spine of the team he needs in proper CM & FWs and fill some gaps around other areas, Ill see how he does then. Until then, its basically gonna be our MF getting over-run most games, and our defence getting battered until they finally make a mistake. Expect a long season, but again, Not all Oles fault. I actually feel sorry for him. The Glazers & Ed have exactly what they need again, someone to point the finger at instead of themselves

Ekeke

He's had enough time to show progress. Instead we've gone backwards from the first games when he took over

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He should get the remainder of this season for us to be sure. You would hope Ole see's where we are weak and should try and fill a hole or two in the squad in the January window and see what happens after that and where we end up in the league.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The time has sadly already arrived. We are in a depressing cycle right now where every draw or defeat is met with howls of outrage and the same old conversations happen again and again. Supporters are split into two camps and argue with each other all day about the same thing as last year (insert current manager name here).

Then we have the legions of supporters claiming not to see a 'style' emerging from (insert current manager name here) despite being completely unqualified to judge this anyway - none of us have any idea how Guardiola makes City play like City. We just see crap football and instead of correctly surmising that the players are not good enough or lacking confidence and that the club is suffering from a chronic and long standing series of terrible decisions by the suits upstairs, its easier just to blame whatever patsy is unlucky enough to be holding the poisoned chalice this season - sadly in this case its one of our clubs legends having his reputation shredded.

Next season it will be someone else's turn until that fine day somewhere in the distant future when we discover a genius that can win away from home with Lingard, James & Perreira as his front three

opopop

Honestly I'd be giving him until next year. I get that many won't agree.

I don't believe another manager is doing significantly better with this squad. I don't think another manager is coming in and suddenly our transfer season gets better.

I do believe its likely a new manager coming in means Matic, Mata, Lingard, etc. may get another year to "prove themselves" . Another system for the players to try and play and struggle at.

For example a name I see now as an option is Tuchel. He could come in and we could claw our way to champions league football but I'm not confident by next year we're not playing rubbish football with a disjointed squad wondering how can he not see the problems all over the team.

So I guess I just prefer to look on the positives of keeping with one persons plan and hoping that works.

crossy1686

career ending
No point in sacking him until next season. He's not had chance to rebuild the team but he's started well. Klopp and Pochettio got three years...

redshaw

Probably until Christmas and if we're close to the top 4 then rest of the season.

It's a tough one because with everyone fully fit we can do quite well but Ole and the club have massively handicapped themselves.

Some Jan signings could help a lot but the problem is there's not much choice and you have to think is this a player we want going into next season.

Last edited:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Ole will get more leeway than the other managers because he is a club legend, and rightly so.

Even if we fail to get into the Champions League, he'll get another season.

I am not fully convinced by him as a manager - I see parallels with him and Moyes (the 'chosen one', underqualified, overwhelmed by the task, imposter syndrome, gone instantly grey overnight).

But I hope he proves me wrong and I will back him all the way, even if we don't get Top 4.

Certainly nowhere near calling for the sack.

We need to give him time and let him have a few transfer windows to build the team he wants. Sacking him would be a step backwards.

There's going to be loads of ups and downs over the next couple of seasons. But just have some patience.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My issue is that the team doesn't seem to be well coached. I don't expect the team to be perfect because we barely have a full starting eleven when everyone is fit but even then I don't see much synergy.

flappyjay

He is a weird one, for the first time a manager post Sir Alex hasn't made rubbish signings. Maguire obviously isn't worth 80m but he is definitely looking like an upgrade on what we had. Aaron is doing well and if we sold James we would double our money.

Give him another summer window he could make more improvements to the team. But he has improve his results in order to still be manager. Stop making stupid selections and get better at making subs

Havak

Pokemon master
I don't really see an upside to sacking him during the season, but if we do then it has to be come around November if we're miles off top four. If you take a manager through to February then I don't think there's much point in changing it.

I've personally said that Ole should be given a few years to at least get the squad together, have the players who want to be there, make some signings and get rid of the players who aren't good enough (currently I think we're doing OK in this regard). He'll improve our fitness levels whilst doing this and leave a better platform for the next manager. I think we should follow through with this regardless of where we end up, but I don't think Ole is going to be the man to take us to the title challenging level, he's just going to make it easier and more stable for the future.

Another season after this one for some stability would be ideal, but I expect we will end up changing it again for a small boost and end up in the same position again.

Noc-Z

ffs
It’s not his fault. Name a manager who could win with this team.
Exactly! He has a monumental task at this club. It's an absolute mess and has been for a long time.

Does anyone believe if Ed had said to Ole, here - take Sancho, Fernandes and Werner he would have said no thanks I'll go with what I've got?

Looks to me that we couldn't get the players we wanted and probably we also needed to clear some deadwood before making more signings.

Zlatattack

Personally I've seen enough, he's not good enough but I wouldn't sack him yet.

1. A whole season of harcore failure (like finishing 10th or something like that) is what's needed to get the match going crowds angry. We need to see fury in the stands, we need to see empty seats, protests etc - before we see Ed go.

2. Woodward is our biggest problem, he's been a constant during all the years of failure. He needs to go.

3. It's not like there's a great alternative ready right away. Lets take some time to plot the signing of a new manager. Maybe Poch will walk, we could try convincing him to sign in the summer?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My issue is that the team doesn't seem to be well coached. I don't expect the team to be perfect because we barely have a full starting eleven when everyone is fit but even then I don't see much synergy.
This. So many people, myself included, keep saying these players are rubbish. They shouldn't be. They are top footballers who have fought their way through the youth system to get where they are. They should all have the correct attitude and be able to pass, run, shoot and score. They need managing and coaching.

arthurka

Personally I would like to give him another transfer window to see what his plans are, first window in years were all the players we bought were clearly better or a great young talent. But I can´t see him survive to see him implement his future plans, he will be gone before Xmas if we continue like this. Really can´t get my head around the state of the squad he was left with.
I would have liked to see us play more on the front foot and attack other teams instead of waiting for counter opportunities for that I can´t see him getting more time.

Last edited:

Eric7C

No point in sacking him until next season. He's not had chance to rebuild the team but he's started well. Klopp and Pochettio got three years...
Pep - Champion in Spain, Germany and Europe prior to joining City. Won the title in England in his second season - he wasn't given three years. He was given one, and in that one year, he illustrated a clear method of coaching and tactics.
Klopp - Champion in Germany in a league dominated by Bayern. Reached a European final. Now Champion of Europe. Clear method of coaching and tactics.

Ole? Champion in Norway. Relegated in England. Coaching and tactics? None visible.

There is no comparison.

ICHM

He should have until Christmas 2020, i.e. two more windows and a chance to stanp his mark.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This. So many people, myself included, keep saying these players are rubbish. They shouldn't be. They are top footballers who have fought their way through the youth system to get where they are. They should all have the correct attitude and be able to pass, run, shoot and score. They need managing and coaching.
There is no doubt that we need more quality players, our team is clearly too light but I feel that Ole will prove to be a problem. Now I could be wrong and he is a top level manager but I don't see it.

Eric7C

Also the argument that Ole has bought well and therefore deserves multiple transfer windows is stupid. Jose wanted to get Maguire too.

Coaching a team is a whole different ball game. Ole is absolutely out of his depth.