How well are you handling the 'banter'/ribbing?

JB7

It's been non-stop here. Can't avoid it. I normally do not care for banter but it's getting too much. The worst part is people who couldn't tell you the number of players a team is meant to have are in on it.
So why do you care then?

Acquire Me

Liverpool did not play particularly good. We did not play at at all. I did get in to some discussions about it, but mostly don’t care. We are ahead of what I expected this season.

I am more interested to see how we bounce back now.

MrFishers

I went on the offensive early this morning, posted some funny memes in my whatsapp groups about the loss. Also made comments like "Liverpool needed this more than us, they won't beat Madrid so fair play to them"

Still got some ribbing but not so much.

Mike Smalling

Shrug it off, and prepare to give it the big'un if Liverpool dont make top four.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

There was one idiot at work who held back when i said "we're coming back" after the EFL final and the Barca games during a break, but he felt the need to text me last night: "Yeah, on reverse and bent forward".

I don't blame him since he's in his mid-40s. Another dipper whose childhood was traumatized by Sir Alex.

Otherwise, it's been casual banter with which i'm fine. It was rather mild too because there was a terrible train crash here on Thursday with 57 dead (most of them students) and the atmosphere has been sombre since then.

Fully Fledged

It doesn’t help when said “fan” wanted Chelsea to lose last week so they could get rid of Potter.

Keeps coming back at me with no matter how shit they’re now, they’ll never get thumped 7-0.
I'd rather lose 1 match 7-0 than lose 7 matches 1-0. There's always a comeback when a team is playing that bad.

DickDastardly

I have had so much abuse today it’s been rudiculous but all you can do is laugh and take it.

my partner is a scouser, so all that side of the family are pool fans. My brother is a die hard liverpool fan. I also work in a prison and football banter is very very real. Even today as I walked on to the landings the prisoners were loving ripping into me. It’s been non stop. Ain’t escaping this for a little while I feel.
Isn't this week the "solitary confinement" week?

Or is it next week, and this week is "gag them and tag them" week?

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I have had so much abuse today it’s been rudiculous but all you can do is laugh and take it.

my partner is a scouser, so all that side of the family are pool fans. My brother is a die hard liverpool fan. I also work in a prison and football banter is very very real. Even today as I walked on to the landings the prisoners were loving ripping into me. It’s been non stop. Ain’t escaping this for a little while I feel.
Throw the cnuts in the SHU for a month.

JB7

I care because I can't avoid it. Every other conversation leads to "which team do you support"?
So? If they don't know the first thing about football or their idea of watching football is turning the TV on, their opinion isn't worth a jot. There's two teams in the entire country above us.

lsd

The Oracle
Working at home just getting messages from Liverpool fans that I haven't even heard of in ages.

What can you do just suck it up and hope we finally learn to stop getting these hammerings

schmurnan

Had a very muted response from my mates last night because even they were in shock at the result. Had about two comments in work this morning. Nothing at all from anyone today.

Maybe helps that I'm nearly 40 so ribbing me about something I have absolutely no control over whatsoever tends not to happen too much.

Fully Fledged

So? If they don't know the first thing about football or their idea of watching football is turning the TV on, their opinion isn't worth a jot. There's two teams in the entire country above us.
Yeah City and Arsenal who I hate more than City and half as much as the Dippers.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I honestly dont really care. I am fuming over the result and the way our players let us down last night, but the banter from rivals fans doesnt really touch me.
Agree with this. I'm far more p*ssed off at our own performance and the score-line than caring about what other fans and that are saying.

HackeyC

Worked from home, but WhatsApp groups have gone off! Suck it up and look at the league table really. Just hoping the confidence kicking doesn't impact the run in. The annoying thing was that we should have been ahead at half time.

Lentwood

Receiving bombardments of texts, calls, messages on WhatsApp, some from folk I've not heard from in ages. Not all intended to stick the boot in, but most are, however politely worded/goaded.

Reminds me of days in rival - or ABU - pubs where keeping your composure was essential.

I'm quite numb, so going through the polite motions hasn't been that difficult, but how's it going for you?

How about the self-reflection where you realise you're not quite the grown-up you masquerade as most days;l? More your triggers rarely get pressed so hard it's like your tap-dancing across a minefield.
You know how to avoid this nonsense? Dont dish it out when we win and be adult about conversations about football with your mates, simple.

What goes around comes around, the folk dishing it out now will be getting it back when Liverpool inevitably have a bad result.

If you dont get caught up in that cycle you find it easier to take the rough with the smooth

.Phil1968

Luckily it's an inset day in our school today and there's only 1 dipper teacher but he's a good lad and we had a laugh about it. 30 odd years ago I used to work either a right knob and quite a few times nearly came to blows with him. I have mellowed though :)

tomaldinho1

The reason I think many can stomach it is it doesn’t feel like the momentum we’re building is suddenly gone. We’re like a wave, slowly building and whilst it will take time and patience until we break upon the shore and scatter our foes before us, that day is coming and it’s not far away.

We’ve been in the wilderness a decade, scratching a living off smash and grabs against PSG, getting completely outplayed by Watford at home, putting up with Pogba, Ronaldo, Sánchez, Mou, Cavani using us as his WC camp, personalities who simply aren’t in line with what we want. I can take many more hammerings as long as we’re moving away from those days and onto something better.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"It's just banter" has to be the most annoying phrase in the English language.

But after yesterday, we have to suck it up.

Erik SEVEN Hag etc.

Thank goodness we have a game so quickly after. I think...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The reason I think many can stomach it is it doesn’t feel like the momentum we’re building is suddenly gone. We’re like a wave, slowly building and whilst it will take time and patience until we break upon the shore and scatter our foes before us, that day is coming and it’s not far away.

We’ve been in the wilderness a decade, scratching a living off smash and grabs against PSG, getting completely outplayed by Watford at home, putting up with Pogba, Ronaldo, Sánchez, Mou, Cavani using us as his WC camp, personalities who simply aren’t in line with what we want. I can take many more hammerings as long as we’re moving away from those days and onto something better.
Yep, this was an absolute freak result, not even foreseeable at half time.

Whereas the Moyes home drubbings by City and Liverpool, or the Liverpool lashings last year were pure inevitability.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And what? Again unless they were at their home games on Saturday who cares what they have to say?
Can only people who were at a game have an opinion?
Do you ignore the posts of 99.99% of red cafe?

HarryP

If you give it, you have to be prepared to take it.

Fortunately, I don't give it and prefer to be humble in victory. It makes things much easier when days like this come around.

If you are a bad winner (like Souness yesterday for example) you create a rod for your own back down the line.

JB7

Can only people who were at a game have an opinion?
Do you ignore the posts of 99.99% of red cafe?
Big difference between having an opinion and taking shit off "people who couldn't tell you the number of players a team is meant to have are in on it" which is what the post I initially replied to said.

Fully Fledged

If you give it, you have to be prepared to take it.

Fortunately, I don't give it and prefer to be humble in victory. It makes things much easier when days like this come around.

If you are a bad winner (like Sourness yesterday for example) you create a rod for your own back down the line.
Fixed it for you.

Hughie77

If the result was for the scum to go 7pts clear of us not us stay 7pts clear of them having already picked up 1 trophy and still in more, league gone was long shot anyway. I'd be more down it was more of a shock really noone was expecting it and some still can't believe it.

It's a smack in the mouth thats for sure , thats all it is, no knock out just a result out of the blue. You take it move on win another trophy so they can switch off there tvs again after shouting for the opposition. That's why there disliked as a classless club with ex pros like Carragher.

Chief123

Receiving bombardments of texts, calls, messages on WhatsApp, some from folk I've not heard from in ages. Not all intended to stick the boot in, but most are, however politely worded/goaded.

Reminds me of days in rival - or ABU - pubs where keeping your composure was essential.

I'm quite numb, so going through the polite motions hasn't been that difficult, but how's it going for you?

How about the self-reflection where you realise you're not quite the grown-up you masquerade as most days;l? More your triggers rarely get pressed so hard it's like your tap-dancing across a minefield.
I’m gutted about the result but the banter and digs from rival fans honestly doesn’t bother me. Only the team performance and the impact it has on us is what bothers me.

I’ve always found football banter fascinating. As football fans we mock, joke and take the mick out of rival fans about something they have literally zero control over. When you think about it, it is such a weird flex but we all do it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Feeling low today. My liverpool mate sticking the knife in sending me loads of memes. :lol:

Badly need a reaction on thursday and the weekend.

CallyRed

It's times like this that I appreciate:

Not being at school any more.
Not having any friends.
Working flexibily.

68cob

Not having any friends.
Working flexibily.
I'm with you there.
I rareley engage in football talk wherever I work until I've sussed people out ... I'm not good at recycled banter.

Castia

I'm not in work until tomorrow night but we are a 6 man team and one of them is a massive Liverpool fan

Not sure how im going to cope!

cyberman

Shite. I had a mate yelling in my face all 7 times.
He was celebrating and accidentally punched my 2 year old in the head.
Life’s great.

Jack-C20

Been pretty minimal for me but then I don’t really give it out so they’re leaving me alone. No amount of ribbing would ever come close to making me feel the way our players made me feel yesterday though.

Going to the game Thursday and I was having all sorts of ideas last night. Calmed down now so I’m looking forward to it again.

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
My general manager is a dipper. Worked from home when Madrid battered them. Was silent on WhatsApp throughout the season. He's left a 7up can on my desk this morning :|