How well will Wout Weghorst do?

Gurtej

I think he will be better than most people believe. Apart from his Burnley days, he got a pretty impressive record in Germany for a very decent team….

I say he will come better than Gakpo

Redlyn

He will do well enough thanks to the low expectation of being a so called championship reject. I hope our players don't change to become some long ball merchants due to his size as apparently it's not his game either.

He will be first choice very quickly I feel.

Scottynaldinho

He moves and handles like an old Buick. He will play the cup games unless we have an injury.

podurban2

Slightly better than Ighalo.
Wow that’s very low expectations. I expect him to do well, work hard and press high up while giving us a physical presence in the box. Hopefully he has decent hold-up play and can get Rashford/Garnacho/Antony/Martial into play.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He'll replace Martial in no time due to superior workrate and physical penalty box presence, he should hit over 10 goals for us from now to the end of the season and people will wonder by the end of the season why we didn't insert a buy price in the loan contract because there aren't alot of the type of striker he is just lying about and we've been crying out for a physical penalty box presence like him for years.

Bold predictions yes, but I've wanted us to sign him since he was at Wolfsburg and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind that he'll be a success here.

Jezpeza

If he plays a few cup games and is an option off the bench thats great. Gives us a dimension for getting the ball in the box. Low risk signing, and on loan so we aren't stuck with him either way

MrBrightside1989

Think he will do ok. Will score a few goals and be a different option towards the end of games, both as a presence up front and back in our box defending set pieces. Could make a big difference at times.

TsuWave

I'm really upbeat about the team these days, so I really want him to do well

Paul778

15-20 goals in all competitions.
Replacing Martial in few games.
Work hard, fight for the team.
Fan favorite very soon.
all of the above and...

improve the pressing and turnovers in the final third resulting in the team scoring 10 more goals as well

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hes going to bring a different dynamic for sure and his addition will help the midfield as well. Because of his pressing, it will allow Erikssen to be rested and allow Bruno to play a bit deeper. Some quotes have been mentioned recently about ETH demanding that his signings have 'Charecter' well if he can bring a bit of steel and keep the bar set high then no bad thing. A few goals, a few assists and allow the likes of Rashford, Martial to be rotated, rested, that will do for me.

midou

I think he will do fine because ETH knows what he is doing and how to use him. ~10 goals and a few assists, most importantly in the big games, should be alright.

NoPace

In a vacuum I'd say he's a shade better than Martial (his record is) but Martial really seems to understand the system defensively, which we'll see how Weghorst takes to. His pressing stats are great and he's Dutch, and Bruno seems to be pressing well with energy more than pure nous, so that's promising.

Educated guess is it will come down to how much we're able to use his aerial prowess. So, it really might come down to the quality of Shaw, Malacia, Garnacho, Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Rashford and Antony's crossing, and us winning good set pieces and lots of corners.

In any case, if we figure Martial is a 7/10 striker and we've just added another one, that's huge for the team and us finishing in the top 4 and being the CL next year and having it to offer potential signings, including ironically enough, a striker to replace Weghorst.

If this was a poll, I'd make it like this:

1 - Weghorst is a hit and we resign him for 2 years and defer signing a #9 until 2024 when Kane is available on a free or maybe someone else emerges the way Nunez, Haaland and Osimhen did before being bought for 60M+. Not sure I see that player on the market right now, now that Nkunku has gone to Chelsea.

2 - Weghorst outplays Martial and ends the season as our #9, but not by so much that we don't just let him go and replace him in 2024, or we surprisingly sell Martial and keep Weghorst as our 2nd striker.

3 - Weghorst is at Martial's level but Garnacho outplays them both and Rashford ends up our 9 in the season's biggest games (Barca 2nd leg, League Cup Final, the Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs games).

4 - Weghorst is not as good a fit as Martial but scores or assists a few crucial goals off the bench and is a solid bench option, forming a nice tandem with Garnacho, with Rashford finishing games at RW a fair bit as they come on.

5 - Weghorst isn't very good but 1 crucial moment we all remember fondly to win the League Cup or the Europa or finish top 4

6 - Same as 5 but we miss out on top 4 and League and Europa so his contribution is forgotten.

7 - Weghorst is just kind of bad or gets injured

I'd say 3, 4, 5 and 6 are by far the likeliest. I'd bet on #4 at the moment. Very similar impact to Martial, just in a different way. End of the day, Garnacho is the best footballer of the 3 of them, and if he gets to come off the bench and run at tired RBs and RCBs then that should compensate for his youth.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
If he does well enough then go all out for Osimhen in the summer

Scottynaldinho

Bold prediction, but he'll be immense and believe we'll sign him permanently in the summer.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We’ll think he’s amazing after 45 minutes because he holds the ball up twice

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Couple of goals tonight to get his confidence going. Is he the tallest striker we’ve had?

mu4c_20le

Half the caf will be shouting to sign him when he presses the palace back line in the first two minutes

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He'll be underwhelming. Sorry but doing well in Turkey will not translate to immediately tearing it up towards the top of the Premier League.

Abraxas

Well, it starts tonight. Pretty tough fixture to start with. Fingers crossed for him to get off to a confidence boosting start. He might seem confident but I don't care who you are, if you were playing for Burnley then Besiktas and now you're wearing the Man Utd badge, you'd be nervous.

Dannn411

Hopefully he's lethal. Been crying out for a centre forward for a long time.

Red Rash

He'll be underwhelming. Sorry but doing well in Turkey will not translate to immediately tearing it up towards the top of the Premier League.
I actually think the opposite. I think he will be better than expected even if not spectacular. We are playing better as an attacking force this season and he should get a decent number of chances.

He is also supposedly great at pressing front the front which should add another dimension to our game.

Kent Devil

I'll be the first to admit that he was not the player I'd thought we would get this transfer window. But I thinking about it I reckon he will not do too badly at all during his loan and will definitely chip in with the odd goal here and there. And I got a sneaky feeling he will score tonight against Palace.

justboy68

So curious to see how he does tonight. He could be quality or we could all be begging for Martial back. :lol:

Got a sneaky feeling he might be the type that excels more with the step up to a top club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Will he score a PL goal?
He will, but he won't be of much use other than as a decoy to create a bit of space for Rashford. A necessary loan due to Martial's injury problems, but one that definitely won't be extended.

Woodzy

I would genuinely sign him as a cheap backup this summer as well as the first choice no. 9. Would be very useful since Martial is almost certainly a write off.

NLunited

Continuous to be an amazing team player. His striking part of his game is not going well right now, he looks sluggish and low on confidence.

He is still playing because of his pressing and creating for others. I hope he gets a few goals as well to kick on his striking game.

Todd

I would genuinely sign him as a cheap backup this summer as well as the first choice no. 9. Would be very useful since Martial is almost certainly a write off.
You can't be serious? If we go into next summer with Martial and Weghorst as our strikers we won't be competing for the league or the CL.

The ideal scenario would be one of Osimhen, Kane, Lautaro, or the long shot Mbappe.

Ideally, Weghorst would go away and Martial would be sold and we'd sign a young striker as a backup. But if we actually get one of the four mentioned above I could live with keeping Martial on as a backup. Maybe if the expectation is that he only plays occasionally he will be able to keep himself available.

But going into next season with Martial and Weghorst as our two strikers would be an utter failure of a summer window and a troubling indicator that ETH doesn't learn. Right now I trust in his judgment and that he won't make that mistake.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's not the guy but wouldn't say no to a CAM that has his work-rate and aggression. There's some parts of his profile I like that really help our profile.

Essentially someone like Griezmann who is a low-sense of gravity, faster version of him with better range of passing at CAM.