How well will Wout Weghorst do?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You can't be serious? If we go into next summer with Martial and Weghorst as our strikers we won't be competing for the league or the CL.

The ideal scenario would be one of Osimhen, Kane, Lautaro, or the long shot Mbappe.

Ideally, Weghorst would go away and Martial would be sold and we'd sign a young striker as a backup. But if we actually get one of the four mentioned above I could live with keeping Martial on as a backup. Maybe if the expectation is that he only plays occasionally he will be able to keep himself available.

But going into next season with Martial and Weghorst as our two strikers would be an utter failure of a summer window and a troubling indicator that ETH doesn't learn. Right now I trust in his judgment and that he won't make that mistake.
That's not what they said I dont think? They said Martial is a write off so Weghorst plus a new number 9.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
15-20 goals in all competitions.
Replacing Martial in few games.
Work hard, fight for the team.
Fan favorite very soon.
Number 3 is right. The rest you might want to adjust.

I've never been a fan of tall attacking players. They rarely have quick enough feet to be effective and Wout, unfortunately, is one of those. I wonder why his coaches when he was age 15 to 18 didn't turn him into a CB.

MadMike

That's not what they said I dont think? They said Martial is a write off so Weghorst plus a new number 9.
And if your new #9 picks up an injury you’re back to having no striker because he isn’t a striker at this level. I mean we currently have no fit strikers bar him and still, he’s being played as defensive #10 instead because he can’t play as a striker.

There’s no chance we start next season with him as an option for #9. We won’t possibly pay money in the summer for a 31 year old (he turns 31 in august and he’s contracted at Burnley for 2 more seasons, so we’d have to pay) when there will be much better strikers than him available.

Chairman Steve

He deserved a goal today, but he works well in this ETH system. He creates space for other attackers, provides neat layoffs and most importantly does lots and lots of pressing, unlike some other guy who was fired two months ago

Woodzy

You can't be serious? If we go into next summer with Martial and Weghorst as our strikers we won't be competing for the league or the CL.

The ideal scenario would be one of Osimhen, Kane, Lautaro, or the long shot Mbappe.

Ideally, Weghorst would go away and Martial would be sold and we'd sign a young striker as a backup. But if we actually get one of the four mentioned above I could live with keeping Martial on as a backup. Maybe if the expectation is that he only plays occasionally he will be able to keep himself available.

But going into next season with Martial and Weghorst as our two strikers would be an utter failure of a summer window and a troubling indicator that ETH doesn't learn. Right now I trust in his judgment and that he won't make that mistake.
Read what I said again my friend.

croadyman

I think the problem is he's had to start more games than most thought due to Martial made of weetabix so more is being expected

Todd

Read what I said again my friend.
Maybe I was confused by your wording. You said you'd sign him as the back as well as the first choice #9. I took that to mean you'd have him in his current role, even if it's 'the first choice.'

Did you mean sign him as a backup as well as signing a new first-choice striker? Because if so, at least we agree that a top striker needs to come in, but I still wouldn't want Weghorst as a backup.

If it came down to Martial or Weghorst backing up, say, Osimhen or Kane next season, I'd take my chances with Martial. At least he has demonstrated that he can finish off chances on the odd chance he isn't injured.

Unam333

He deserved a goal today, but he works well in this ETH system. He creates space for other attackers, provides neat layoffs and most importantly does lots and lots of pressing, unlike some other guy who was fired two months ago
That other guy, as brilliant as he was, also couldn't hold up the ball. I prefer Wout over that other guy right now. At least Wout's hard work and endless pressing and running enables Rashford to save his energy so he can focus on scoring goals.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's not the guy but wouldn't say no to a CAM that has his work-rate and aggression. There's some parts of his profile I like that really help our profile.

Essentially someone like Griezmann who is a low-sense of gravity, faster version of him with better range of passing at CAM.
Yeah Weghorst is pretty much the shit and limited version of Griezmann. What Weghorst offers is his defensive, work rate, and aggression aspects.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah Weghorst is pretty much the shit and limited version of Griezmann. What Weghorst offers is his defensive, work rate, and aggression aspects.

He is a defensive forward who can’t attack, in the same sense of some attacking fullback who can’t defend.

wolvored

Hes a stop gap, nothing more. Obviously TH has to let him think if he plays out of his skin he might be in with a shout of stoppin(him playing his best is clearly not good enough). He doesnt suit our game at all and he struggled at Burnley, who put in high crosses a lot more than we do. Now Sabitzer might have a real chance.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's so so slow, cannot head the ball nor can he finish, but somehow makes us a better team. Weird.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's so so slow, cannot head the ball nor can he finish, but somehow makes us a better team. Weird.
It’s because we have a lot of forwards who are still learning how to press - like Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho. Hence players like Bruno, Antony and Wout make a huge systemic impact regardless of output (granted Bruno’s output is excellent)

NasiKandar

He’s really tall
He runs a lot
His name is Weghorst, will we back him? I think not

stoinz

He is doing as well as he can now. Filling spot for our sicknotes. I actually think he did much better for the team than Ronaldo this year. Yes he can't score and he cannot pass but he is always involve in the game somehow regardless how well or bad we are playing, mostly in some defensive duties - pressing, harrasing the opponents.

The loss of Casemiro would be worst if we hadn't had him doing his defensive bits from the front. Imagine we are doing pretty well with a forward that cannot attack, what will happen when we do get a forward that can actually attack.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He doesn't make us any better, our win record is better without him, and we are scoring same number of goals as we did without him too, probably even less now. Rashford dry period of 2 games(ridiculous :lol: ) came when Wout started playing for us, before that he was scoring in pretty much every game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Chip in with goals when he's subbed on.
Imagine this was true, we’d all be delighted.

turns out he didn’t chip in with goals or get subbed on much cause he actually started a lot of games.

worst loan ever

worst player I’ve ever seen at Utd

farewell.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Some of these predictions were so deluded. Yeah, a guy who couldn't score in a brothel for Burnley will chip in goals for United...

hobbers

Cant see any situation where he would be brought on in the cup final. Certainly wont be scoring any winners.

Worst player we've seen or will presumably ever see in a United shirt.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Surely it's not that crazy to assume he would score more goals for United who creates chances than for Burnley?
I can't think of any PL striker who had a 1 in 10 record, moved to a bigger club, and suddenly became a regular goalscorer. Regardless of chances created.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Surely it's not that crazy to assume he would score more goals for United who creates chances than for Burnley?
It’s not crazy. It’s also not crazy thinking a 6ft 6 guy could dominate in the box/air, turned out that both thoughts were entirely wrong.

It’d have been more useful having a Make a Wish kid in the box and hoping the ball just bounced in off their head.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Disappointing on the lack of goals but also served a purpose of being a decoy who could press, which helped Rashford carry the water for a significant stretch. No complaints about his attitude or work rate.

Lights Out

Absolutely horrific.

I honestly think we could have picked up Paul Mullin from non-league and he’d have scored more goals.

The chance at the end where he didn’t even hit the target summed up his loan spell.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's still got a game left, let's not pass judgement just yet.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Should've signed Andy Cook from Bradford City. I reckon he would've scored at least once in the PL.