How well will Wout Weghorst do?

Ricardo de la Vega

In hindsight, he didn't do very well. Hope the rest of his career goes well, seems to have a lovely young family. Thanks for trying your best Wout.

Greck

He's always tipped to be the unlikely hero in every next big game.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m struggling to think of a worse first team striker in my time supporting this club (37 years)

AndySmith1990

Thought he'd be mediocre but at worst chip in with a handful of goals. Unfortunately he was awful. Good luck with the rest of your career Wout

HarryP

He was good for his first 15 games or so and then his form dipped. He really plugged a gap that was needed in January and February in particular.

Recency bias will lead many fans to conclude that he was a signing which didn't work out but that would be to ignore his contribution in January and February. He didn't score many but he played well in general during that crucial period.

Ludens the Red

He was good for his first 15 games or so and then his form dipped. He really plugged a gap that was needed in January and February in particular.

Recency bias will lead many fans to conclude that he was a signing which didn't work out but that would be to ignore his contribution in January and February. He didn't score many but he played well in general during that crucial period.
:lol: Well that’s the understatement of the year.

Mike Smalling

He’s done awful to be fair. 2 goals in 30 games is terrible in every way. Whenever you have to resort to his pressing to defend him, you know it’s bad. And he’s not even really good at pressing.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

There's no way to dress it up really. He's been crap and was an awful signing in every sense. Thankfully only a half-season loan.

hobbers

Whats the bias called where you give him credit for how he played in January where he played in two games that were both shit shows and we got 1 point out of 6 in?

He didn't score many but he missed bucket loads of easy chances. Ruined countless attacks. Embodied the ethos of anti-football in a way we haven't seen since Fellaini.

Valencia Shin Crosses

No he didn’t, my god this is even bigger revisionist history than anything I’ve read recently. He had a grand total of about 3/4 good games total, and in general hindered our attack constantly. We had to take him off all of the time when we needed more in attack. That’s not a fecking contribution just because he ran a lot

0le

He'll never score in the cup, let alone be the winner.

Tiber

Who could have guessed that signing a striker who couldn't get a game for a team who were relegated wouldn't work?

city-puma

I feel sorry for him. But in this form, he can’t find a role in Burley I guess.

There's no way to dress it up really. He's been crap and was an awful signing in every sense. Thankfully only a half-season loan.
This, in a nutshell. Crap player, much much worse than I ever thought he'd be (I only watched him against us for Burnley, and his record in Germany was at least decent).

He gets credit for ... being fit and available for selection, at a time when our main striker couldn't walk two feet without breaking something and the other one had just tried to sabotage our season. We could have picked any random journeyman from the Championship to have the same impact.

Whats the bias called where you give him credit for how he played in January where he played in two games that were both shit shows and we got 1 point out of 6 in?
:lol:

No idea where this idea that he got off to a good start comes from. He barely made an impact in his first three league games, and by the fourth (Leeds at home, where we were 2-0 down until he was hauled off and almost immediately started dominating) it was obvious we were a way better side without him.

I guess people will always make excuses for someone who runs around a lot.

Oscar Bonavena

At the time I thought it might have been one of those out of left field, "so crazy it might just work" signings, but nah, it wasn't.

That we got top 4 with him and Martial as our two centre forwards is little short of a miracle.

The game that encapsulated for me that this guy was a handbrake on the team was home v Barcelona. Outplayed in the first half and 1-0 down, WW was taken off at HT for Antony and we looked so much more dangerous and dynamic and faster in the 2nd half and won 2-1.

I thought after that game, we wouldn't see much more of Wout for the rest of the season, but he kept getting a lot of game time, and not really contributing anything.

Seems like an honest and hardworking lad so wish him all the best for the future, but ultimately not good enough for this football club.

Ted Lasso

Well, he's performing at the level you'll expect from a Championship player. Can't say I'm shocked by how it ended. You sign a player from Burnley, you get what you paid for.
Worse in my opinion. I think the weight of playing for United might be too much for him. The chance he missed today would have been smashed in by any half decent striker in even League 2 or the Championship. Really wanted him to grab a goodbye goal just because of his reaction at the League cup which was endearing.

Redbandito

He was awful in January and February. We just didn’t have anybody else.

Redbandito

Can't wait to see this thread when he puts in a 93rd minute injury time winner next weekend in the FA Cup final
Would be a glorious moment, and I’d be very happy for him (and obviously elated about the W), but it wouldn’t change anything about what has already been said. He has been awful this season. He’s not up to the standard of play. No shame in admitting that. Doesn’t mean I won’t cheer for him while he’s wearing the United badge, but I’m not going to pretend he’s better than he is either.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Can't wait to see this thread when he puts in a 93rd minute injury time winner next weekend in the FA Cup final
We'll all be glad if it happens but it doesn't change the fact that he's not good enough and has no business staying

cyril C

The lowest expectation is that he chips in with the odd goal and doesn't negatively affect the way we play. I think that he'll play a hell of a lot of minutes for us as Martial just can't stay fit enough, so I expect quite a few starts for him.
I think he has achieved the latter, but not the former. His biggest contribution appears to be with the ball on the ground, whether with the ball or without. My disappointment is his lack of aerial threat, offensive or defensive, not even layup for the boys.

So I don't think he will do well for bottom clubs, not the same league as Mitrovic or Solanke. Perhaps closer to the post-injured Jimenez standard.

As a backup player, too expensive for mid-table clubs.

bringbackbebe

He came in when we needed him, had a terrific attitude but unfortunately not the skill level to match it. Mentality wise, an upgrade over Ronaldo and we did well with Weghorst in the team. Cannot forget his celebration after league cup win and the kiss of death for Brighton's missed penalty. Wish him the best!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
He was brought in on the back of his reputation with the Netherlands team I suspect, not so much Burnley

Either way his season was immensely poor and I reckon his stint with us may have cost his stock to drop lower

Seij

He didn't score many but he missed bucket loads of easy chances. Ruined countless attacks. Embodied the ethos of anti-football in a way we haven't seen since Fellaini.
At least, Fellaini was easily ten times the player Weg has been for us.

204Red

I’m struggling to think of a worse first team striker in my time supporting this club (37 years)
Terry Gibson?
Manucho?
Dong (was he a striker?)

But yeah, there's not a lot of glory on that list

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I felt so bad for him missing that big chance today, really wanted him to score
Same here. Actually I think his general play has at times been pretty decent for a player of his standards and the torrid finishing just makes his overall displays look even worse.

I genuinely don’t understand how he’s missed some of these chances. The one yesterday even if it was on his right was piss easy. Great cross fromSancho