How well will Wout Weghorst do?

Josh 76

Can't wait to see this thread when he puts in a 93rd minute injury time winner next weekend in the FA Cup final
He will do another unforgettable celebration and then it will be ruled off by VAR.
The final nail in his UTD coffin!

Suv666

I genuinely don’t get why folks are so lenient with him. Fellaini would get slaughtered on here and he scored some incredibly important goals for us.

He’s been awful, 0 goals says it all.

You saw it in his face when he missed a chance half the members on this site could have scored.

0 goals. I can't remember a regular striker as bad as him at the club. His signing has been a total failure.

dalriada

I genuinely don’t get why folks are so lenient with him. Fellaini would get slaughtered on here and he scored some incredibly important goals for us.

He’s been awful, 0 goals says it all.
I think there's a big sympathy vote for Weghorst - a striker who really doesn't fit the profile of a striker and is both out of his depth and not a good fit for how we're playing, but works hard for the team and is kind of living the dream. Almost everyone I talk to says, "Well, it's not his fault". ETH clearly saw something about him but mostly took him on because he knew him and he was available. Having said that, I think everyone thought we'd get a better return than we've had, including ETH and Weghorst himself, I suspect.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't think he'll play for them, doest really fit their style.
He was seemingly doing pretty well in Turkey, I imagine he's worth more to clubs elsewhere than he is to a Premier League team.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Really puts to bed the idea that any semi-decent striker would score some goals at a good team/big club.

Signing a centre forward who fails to score a single league goal really is some amazing new rock bottom banter shit. Good thing it wasn’t in a banter season.

Remember when, like, Diego Forlan was the level we expected from a flop?

Last edited:

stevoc

Hopefully he does well but I have a horrible feeling he won't even score a single league goal for us.

siw2007

I thank him for his hard work, pressing and that assist for Rashford in the final. He is however the worst ever striker I can remember to play for the club in recent memory. He is a good character and played his part this season however, so I wish him the best of luck going forwards.

stevoc

He was good for his first 15 games or so and then his form dipped. He really plugged a gap that was needed in January and February in particular.

Recency bias will lead many fans to conclude that he was a signing which didn't work out but that would be to ignore his contribution in January and February. He didn't score many but he played well in general during that crucial period.
He worked hard during that run of wins in February, if that's what you consider playing well then fair enough.

But for me work rate aside I think he's been consistent throughout his time at United. Consistently woeful.

stevoc

Terry Gibson?
Manucho?
Dong (was he a striker?)

But yeah, there's not a lot of glory on that list
To be fair Manucho and Dong barely played 90 minutes between them. Weghorst has 30 games under his belt at this stage.

Geistman

I was really hoping that he'd put away the chance Sancho set him up for towards the end against Fulham. Just for his own sake going forward. No one can fault his effort. If the rest of the squad has his ethic we would have challenged this year. Unfortunately he was probably the most limited player I've witnessed play for us over an extended period. All the best Wout, good luck on your next venture.

Malone_Post

He was good for his first 15 games or so and then his form dipped. He really plugged a gap that was needed in January and February in particular.

Recency bias will lead many fans to conclude that he was a signing which didn't work out but that would be to ignore his contribution in January and February. He didn't score many but he played well in general during that crucial period.
No he wasn’t. He was crap from start to finish. It was obvious to all that he was massively out of his depth within a game or two.

People tried to pretend otherwise because this forum has a weird aversion to criticising new signings and instead pretending like they’re great until you literally can’t pretend anymore.

The Siege

He's been in a lot of positions where he should have finished chances, and he has failed. And that is not a privilege we can afford, that too from a striker who is already not known to be much of a prolific goalscorer in the past. Although post Ronaldo, he's been a great testimony of what gaps can be created if your striker can press effectively. Good luck to him with the future.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Terry Gibson?
Manucho?
Dong (was he a striker?)

But yeah, there's not a lot of glory on that list
Good point with Terry Gibson. Manucho and Dong were both absolutely dreadful but I don’t think either was regularly part of the first team like Weghorst? Both were more reserves I think.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I didn’t rate Dimitar Berbatov at the time. Now I feel ridiculous for having been so spoilt.

Thank you Big Wout for the reality check.

Revan

Assumptionman
No he wasn’t. He was crap from start to finish. It was obvious to all that he was massively out of his depth within a game or two.

People tried to pretend otherwise because this forum has a weird aversion to criticising new signings and instead pretending like they’re great until you literally can’t pretend anymore.
Hear hear.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I didn’t rate Dimitar Berbatov at the time. Now I feel ridiculous for having been so spoilt.

Thank you Big Wout for the reality check.
I was also not a fan of Berbatov at all. But seeing the shite we have seen over last 10 years I often look back as to what a tool i was.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite frankly the worst striker we’ve had at the club.

Blood Mage

Worst footballer to play for us in the last decade. Would have been better to bring nobody in and play Rashford through the middle so we could give Pellistri more minutes.

Stacker

His heart is in the right place and you can see he genuinely does try his best in every minute he’s been given. Unfortunately it hasn’t been good enough though.

Silas

His heart is in the right place and you can see he genuinely does try his best in every minute he’s been given. Unfortunately it hasn’t been good enough though.
As would anyone off the caf.

Licha M

The only thing he's hit on target since he joined was the Anfield sign.

Last edited:

stevoc

Good point with Terry Gibson. Manucho and Dong were both absolutely dreadful but I don’t think either was regularly part of the first team like Weghorst? Both were more reserves I think.
One start between them in the League cup and 2-3 cameo's off the bench each.

stevoc

Worst footballer to play for us in the last decade. Would have been better to bring nobody in and play Rashford through the middle so we could give Pellistri more minutes.
And that's saying something as some truly mediocre/awful players have racked serious amounts of games for us over the last decade post SAF.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Awful “footballer”.
An unproven academy kid wouldn’t have done worse.

Todd

Seems like a good bloke, loved his work ethic, but I'm trying to think of a poorer footballer who got as much playing time as him in half a season for United and I can't do it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Can't wait to see this thread when he puts in a 93rd minute injury time winner next weekend in the FA Cup final
You would have to be completely deranged if you think WW is the most likely goal scorer against MCFC.
He is arguably the worst striker to ever put on a Utd shirt, in the first team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Seems like a good bloke, loved his work ethic, but I'm trying to think of a poorer footballer who got as much playing time as him in half a season for United and I can't do it.
I'm sure that we could find 100 fans from the crowd who are nice guys and would be the hardest-working players on the pitch if they get chosen to play for us. The issue is that we need players who can actually do the job and have the skill/talent to beat the opposition.
Also, I don't like nice guys. I want the nastiest, meanest bunch of c***s playing for us who know how to dig and grind out wins against players of any skill level.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He's piss poor at every aspect of being a centre forward. I read earlier that he's won only 41% of his aerial battles despite being 6'5", and that seems generous to me!

Todd

I'm sure that we could find 100 fans from the crowd who are nice guys and would be the hardest-working players on the pitch if they get chosen to play for us. The issue is that we need players who can actually do the job and have the skill/talent to beat the opposition.
Also, I don't like nice guys. I want the nastiest, meanest bunch of c***s playing for us who know how to dig and grind out wins against players of any skill level.
All depends on the type of nastiness.

I want United to win, but if my choices in attack are guys like Wout or a racist biter like Suarez or a rapist like Greenwood, I'm taking Wout.