How well will Wout Weghorst do?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
How can someone that is likely over 8ft tall when he jumps be so fecking pathetic in the air? He should surely be winning every singe aerial duel.

BorisManUtd

How can someone that is likely over 8ft tall when he jumps be so fecking pathetic in the air? He should surely be winning every singe aerial duel.
Not that he's not winning every but his losing most of aerial duels which is odd. Just a player that's not PL level and most probably worst striker United have had since PL started. Still not useless as his pressing was helpful in some games. Also played well in CC final.

Lentwood

Well, we can look back now with the League Cup and a top four finish under our belts and say objectively and calmly that Weghorst is/was absolutely terrible and is not a Premier League quality CF.

Thanks for running about a bit and generally trying your best...but my God he was bad!

Ghostrider318

Hes a weird player. Looks super strong and tall so you'd expect him to do well in the air or be an outlet by holding up the ball while other teammates arrive.

Yet he seems to have the first touch a lot worse than lukaku, cannot head the ball for shit, cant hold up play and cant seem to score even with an open goal. His only attribute was running. He felt like the striker equivalent of a worse McFred combo

Alfie092

over 8ft tall when he jumps
Issue is he can't jump so he is still basically 6ft6! So while shorter player around the 6ft mark have a bit of a leap on them, it means they are able to win aerial battles against Weghorst.

Tony247

Issue is he can't jump so he is still basically 6ft6! So while shorter player around the 6ft mark have a bit of a leap on them, it means they are able to win aerial battles against Weghorst.
These days I am bit suspicious about this generation of European strikers. I feel like some of them are purposely avoiding headers (especially high lofted ones) with all that concerns about dementia and all...

Judas

Open to offers
Anyone who had watched him previously would have known in the air he was always fairly underwhelming, you just had people making very basic jumping to conclusions because he's tall he must be good with his head!

EliasRavelino

Supports
Sevilla
His stats: 23 games played (1177 minutes), 1 goal scored and 1 assist must be a record (and not in a good way). I read on here he was good at holding the ball for others to play off him and had a good work rate, things that don't show up in statistics, but I will be very surprised if Utd. keep him on. I will be very surprised if Burnley keep him once he goes back there too. Is that the arrangement?

cheekybackheel

Apart from his attitude, he was completely useless and I'm amazed he's even made it in football.

He runs like a drunk Peter Crouch.

Glorio

I suspect it's even worse, I've noticed him jump for headers with a weird bend/crouch while doing it, which means he ends up even smaller than 6ft6

TheRedDevil2019

Will do better this Saturday with Weghorst in the team then had Martial started...

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

His stats: 23 games played (1177 minutes), 1 goal scored and 1 assist must be a record (and not in a good way). I read on here he was good at holding the ball for others to play off him and had a good work rate, things that don't show up in statistics, but I will be very surprised if Utd. keep him on.
They do show up in stats, he's top 5% in Europe for his position in Tackles and Blocks, top 2% in Interceptions and top 12% in clearances, top 1% for presses and average about 11km/90 distance covered. Unfortunately, he's at the bottom 10 or 5% for shots, goals, take ons, progressive carries, touches. He's literally a striker with the stats of a defender.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
They do show up in stats, he's top 5% in Europe for his position in Tackles and Blocks, top 2% in Interceptions and top 12% in clearances, top 1% for presses and average about 11km/90 distance covered. Unfortunately, he's at the bottom 10 or 5% for shots, goals, take ons, progressive carries, touches. He's literally a striker with the stats of a defender.
If you changed the name to Scott McTominay you'd say they were decent.

Eric_the_Red99

If we’d played Fred in his position he’d probably have ended up with similar, if not better defensive stats, while still scoring more goals (and winning more headers, probably)

Hughes35

If we’d played Fred in his position he’d probably have ended up with similar, if not better defensive stats, while still scoring more goals (and winning more headers, probably)
This is true, sad and funny in equal measure

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's funny how our worst player ever replaced possibly our best player ever and we improved. Football is a funny game

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Last minute rocket in the FA cup final top corner from the half-way line to go down in MUFC history.
He can't score when the goal is wide open, let alone some sort of rocket.
And as far as MUFC history: he'll go down as arguably the worst first team striker in MUFC history.

ETH is no fool, but I fail to understand why he keeps giving Weghorst minutes on the pitch.

Son

His stats: 23 games played (1177 minutes), 1 goal scored and 1 assist must be a record (and not in a good way). I read on here he was good at holding the ball for others to play off him and had a good work rate, things that don't show up in statistics, but I will be very surprised if Utd. keep him on. I will be very surprised if Burnley keep him once he goes back there too. Is that the arrangement?
Especially for a big club. It’s understandable if he was at Burnley in the Prem playing defensive football but still awful granted.

At United we actually attack and he still can’t score a tap in every now and again when gifted them.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Poor man's Giroud - a very very poor man.
Wow. You can put 20 times word "very" but it is still harsh on Giroud. Giroud is a very good striker actually. In fact; isn't he best France goalscorer of all time?

m1tch

Shame that he couldn't do any better given he'd got a great opportunity to earn a contract as a squad player.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
One goal will be worth more than 20 if he manages it in the final.

Some might say he doesn’t deserve **** idol status but his passion and effort during his time here have never been in question. It would be a beautiful thing.

scottser

He'll be playing against us next year for Burnley in the prem - it'd be most ironic if we sent him off with a couple of medals this summer only for him to put one away against us in the autumn.

samlee86

If he starts the cup final then I’m convinced he will stay next season. There is no way a player plays this many games only to be discarded at the end of the season. He’s easily top 5 in terms of appearances for the club since he’s joined.

ETH thinks playing him is some sort of tactical master stroke. I can’t see how ETH does a 180 in July and realises he‘s a donkey.

Every time he’s on the pitch is like being down to 10 men.

wolvored

Martial is injured, but Wegworst should be nowhere near the pitch in any capacity. Against City there is no time at all to bring him on, never mind start.

RedIan

He'll be playing against us next year for Burnley in the prem - it'd be most ironic if we sent him off with a couple of medals this summer only for him to put one away against us in the autumn.
He wont get in the Burnley team.
Hes a squad player to bring on when you 2-0 up with 15 minutes left and you need a player to run and press Higher up the pitch.
He has been useful at times for us in that respect but hes a woeful finisher and woeful header

El Zoido

If he starts the cup final then I’m convinced he will stay next season. There is no way a player plays this many games only to be discarded at the end of the season. He’s easily top 5 in terms of appearances for the club since he’s joined.

ETH thinks playing him is some sort of tactical master stroke. I can’t see how ETH does a 180 in July and realises he‘s a donkey.

Every time he’s on the pitch is like being down to 10 men.
But he never starts when Martial is available. We don’t have any other forwards, that’s the only reason he plays. There’s no way he stays. As if ETH thinks it’s a “tactical master stroke” to play a striker that never scores. Get a grip.

Maticmaker

Wout is for ETH a 'finger in the dyke' kind of squad player, his biggest asset is his 'nuisance value' as he charges about keeping defenders on their toes and to a certain degree diverting their attention, he is effectively a 'one man press. His heading skills are minimal, in terms of shooting' ability the old phrase 'couldn't hit a barn door sat on the latch' comes to mind, he can though pick a short/quick pass and does have some 'assists' to his name.
Yet, for all his obvious deficiencies the fans still warm to him because they know though he doesn't have much, he strains to give his all for every minute he is on the pitch... would that some of his, obviously more talented colleagues, would do the same.

Don't think a Wout contribution will be nearly enough against City, but it all depends on what ETH's plan for the game is. If we are trying to go 'toe-to-toe' with City it definitely won't work, if its a 'seek and destroy', 'get in their face', mess things up, etc. he would be perfect.

Last edited: