How will Bruno fit into Ten Hag's style of play?

kthanksbye

He's a weird player, has the skill to beat a man, but only when he's being pressed, which doesn't happen in the position he plays in, you'd want your #10 to pick the ball between the opposition midfield and defense, but at that point the defense don't press, then he has to try and play a penetrating pass, because he does not have the burst of pace to beat a man 1v1. We should be looking to get him into goal scoring and assisting positions, that'll be the best use of his abilities.

The Impossible Team

Shouldnt be a problem for him to learn Ten Hags style In a system where the players have to be constantly moving to find space and more specifically instructed which areas to go into depending on situation, (I think it's called coaching,)

So Bruno won't be having to resort to punting balls into the Hollywood hills in desperation, hoping there's a teammate lurking near where the ball lands.
There should be more obvious options open, more often.

Hopefully we've seen the last of this scattergun approach, not only in Bruno's passing, but also in movement by the team in general (when they could be bothered, which wasn't very often:annoyed:)
I thought I saw a glimpse of the future under Ralf for the first 30 minutes against Palace, but the team wasn't ready, willing or able to continue that journey and then Ralf rightly or wrongly gave up as well.

Anyway, can't wait to see us in preseason with a new and improved Bruno et al. The anticipation is killing me... or is it the hope that kills you? !

I'm with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush on this topic.....For now.

Crickus

I think good players can adapt to a managers system. And Bruno is a good player i think he just needs some guidance and direction which i feel Ten Hag will give him. I expect a big come back season from Bruno

Giggsyking

People are too concerned about him losing the ball. Creative players always lose the ball.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Bruno should, and I believe, will play a second strike role. Ten Hag loves to enhance his player strengths creating specific roles. Bruno is smart, technical, hard working player with excellent off the ball movement, shooting and key passing ability. He struggled this year because there was not any creativity in midfield. Pogba was a monstrous mistake.

LuckyScout78

Raphinha/Sancho - Eriksen/Bruno RCM = 8 - Fred/Garner/De Jong - De Jong/Bruno LCM = 8 - Sancho/Martial/Garnacho + Ronaldo/Rashford

mctrials23

Will be one of the first names on the team sheet I reckon.

Of course he will. Anyone who has watched Bruno over the past few seasons and thinks he won't play a large part in EtHs United team is a muppet. He has so many of the attributes that every manager loves.

arnie_ni

Will be one of the first names on the team sheet I reckon.

He needs to control that though. I know its probably more an issue for those around him but often he'd unnecessarily chase a ball or a player and leave a gaping hole the opposition could just play into.

El Jefe

Some of you are getting ahead of yourselves. He played well enough yesterday but it honestly proves nothing.

The reasons for reservations about Bruno fitting in is due to his carelessness on the ball and hero complex both on and off the ball.

Typically the No.10s in EtH's system are not the main playmakers and are more like link players. Van de Beek, Klaasen and Berghuis haven't taken as much creative responsibility as the wide players like Tadic, Ziyech and Antony.

I mean we sort of saw it yesterday, it was nothing like under Ole where Bruno was undoubtedly the creative hub of the team. I could be wrong but I felt like he had less touches than he usually would as Sancho was involved quite a lot. This will only reduce further with FdJ and Eriksen in the team. Can Bruno be disciplined enough to not be on the ball as much as he usually is.

I personally don't think it will work for Bruno in the long term but it's one we will have to wait and see.

Crashoutcassius

Some of you are getting ahead of yourselves. He played well enough yesterday but it honestly proves nothing.

The reasons for reservations about Bruno fitting in is due to his carelessness on the ball and hero complex both on and off the ball.

Typically the No.10s in EtH's system are not the main playmakers and are more like link players. Van de Beek, Klaasen and Berghuis haven't taken as much creative responsibility as the wide players like Tadic, Ziyech and Antony.

I mean we sort of saw it yesterday, it was nothing like under Ole where Bruno was undoubtedly the creative hub of the team. I could be wrong but I felt like he had less touches than he usually would as Sancho was involved quite a lot. This will only reduce further with FdJ and Eriksen in the team. Can Bruno be disciplined enough to not be on the ball as much as he usually is.

I personally don't think it will work for Bruno in the long term but it's one we will have to wait and see.
Well we didn't create anything yesterday it was Liverpool mistakes and a break. He was instrumental in the first goal in getting a decent ball into the box from the half space which is a classic Bruno move. But it's not like the team created tons with the ball yesterday, in the wide areas or otherwise

dutchred

Well we didn't create anything yesterday it was Liverpool mistakes and a break. He was instrumental in the first goal in getting a decent ball into the box from the half space which is a classic Bruno move. But it's not like the team created tons with the ball yesterday, in the wide areas or otherwise
The last goal was very well created

Tarrou

hero complex on and off the ball ffs :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Aren't people getting way, way, way ahead of themselves over the first game of pre-season with barely any of the personnel expected to be in our finalised squad?

Further to that, drawing any kind of conclusions on any of our players in what is more of a fitness exercise played at half pace in a sweltering country. We did OK, but outside of the youngsters who really are playing for a place in the squad proper, what is there to mull over in a game like that?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It just seems cool to write him off.

It’s got minimal substance.

If he can control his tempo and decision making by 5% more then he himself as a player will go up a level whilst he is already more than just a good one.

dubplate warrior

It just seems cool to write him off.

It’s got minimal substance.

If he can control his tempo and decision making by 5% more then he himself as a player will go up a level whilst he is already more than just a good one.
He was so, so bad last season, and in particular a massive liability in possession. Now we have a possession focused manager, there are pretty big question marks over whether he can adapt. Maybe he will, but it would be foolish to automatically assume we'll go back to seeing his form when he first started, a team that strictly counter attacked and played entirely through him.

It really depends on what Ten Hag wants him to do, but I suspect it goes two ways:

1. He tries to play him as an attacking 8, whether or not he is capable of reigning it in and choosing when to recycle possession is another thing.

2. He plays behind the striker and presses the centre back, whilst Ronaldo marks a potential pass.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He was so, so bad last season, and in particular a massive liability in possession. Now we have a possession focused manager, there are pretty big question marks over whether he can adapt. Maybe he will, but it would be foolish to automatically assume we'll go back to seeing his form when he first started, a team that strictly counter attacked and played entirely through him.

It really depends on what Ten Hag wants him to do, but I suspect it goes two ways:

1. He tries to play him as an attacking 8, whether or not he is capable of reigning it in and choosing when to recycle possession is another thing.

2. He plays behind the striker and presses the centre back, whilst Ronaldo marks a potential pass.
Nah for me all I saw last season was Bruno and how he plays for Portugal - Ronaldo was taking up the spaces Bruno normally works himself towards and so Bruno was playing in a different position making worse passes than normal.

I get the risk/reward thing in possession but you don’t necessarily drop your most creative player just do retain possession either.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He will be competing with Eriksen next season. Also depends whether ETH will play Zidane in AM or CM, I feel he will play Zidane alot.

El Jefe

As many on here predicted, he would be one of the first to stand out as not being good enough.

His short passing and football intelligence is honestly awful. He has no place being in a possession based team. Eriksen looked like he was playing a different sport compared to Bruno.

He will be out of the team and the club soon enough.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Playing Bruno behind Erikson will be far worse than Bruno and Pogba. We cannot have two creative midfielder together with our midfield.

I'd rather we started (if Cristiano wasn't starting)

Rashford.....Elanga......Sancho.

Just play Bruno close to #10 as possible!

MegadrivePerson

Bruno is fine as long as Ronaldo is not in the team.

The reason being that when Bruno starts, he needs players in front of him that are going to work and press and win the ball back. It's no coincidence at all that Bruno's performances in a United shirt nearly always happen when Ronaldo is not in the team!

UDontMessWith24

It took a little time but he’s starting to adapt. He’s a model professional, madly competitive, football obsessed and genuinely cares about the club. When you have his ability those traits are conducive to adapting to a new system

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When fans rate players, they look for on-the ball qualities, when EtH spoke about Rashford he mentioned about his dynamism and how he creates space. Same for Bruno, his work rate makes him favorite for most managers and his off the ball movement is arguably the best in our squad. He always pops up in dangerous position. Easy to see why he plays regularly under EtH.

I hope Eriksen also gets enough chances as a 10 with Bruno rested/dropped when his performance drops. We need that competition for places.