How will you remember Pogba's time at United?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only if you are into agendas otherwise they were in similar situation. Expensive, with lots of expectations from people that had no clue about them and didn't fit. The only difference is that Veron was sold quickly.
With Veron his post-United career confirmed that his issues ran deeper than a club who didn’t know how to use him. I’m willing to bet the same will be true with Pogba.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
More interested in haircuts than trophies.

TheGame

All the tools to be a midfield great but has been underwhelming. A lot of excuses he plays well for France but he should have been better. I think he has struggled with the pace of the Premier League.

Robbie Boy

Him, Ole and Maguire are absolute poster boys of the circus we let ourselves become.

Nick7

Sometimes good, mostly bad. Will get annoyed when he scores a screamer for whatever team he joins but will mostly just not think about him.

Fergie 7ime

For me he is the absolute epitome of the overall state we are in at the moment. This overhyped brainless child is the exact opposite of the hardworking men we used to have at this club.

The fecking absurd thing is that it crossed my mind him faking an injury at Anfield before it actually happened. And at that moment I promised to myself that I wouldn’t watch another second of United when he’s on the pitch. And believe me, I’m going to stick with that. I’m done.

binary bot
It marked the point where the club lost a sense of self-respect and common sense. If someone leaves on a free and you know their agent is a complete cnut, you don't spend 80m to get them back.

Since then it's been transfer after transfer where the club just loses its dignity bending over for players.

Infra-red

He'll be remembered as a disappointment, a player who never lived up to the hype or, ultimately, his enormous transfer fee and who in turn engineered free transfers out of the club on two separate occasions.

Longer term, I expect we'll look back on this disastrous post-SAF decade as the 'Woodward Galactio years' - a calamitous period of haemorrhaging money on overpaid prima donnas who never contributed anything to the club. Di Maria, Falcao, Schweinsteiger et al will of course feature, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba comes to been seen as the emblem of this entire sorry chapter in the club's history.

Hopefully, we are in the process of moving on to better times.

Coops73

I was sceptical when he came back but I wanted him to succeed, unfortunately he just wasn’t as good as Serie A made him out to be and that’s fine, shit like that happens in football all the time, “as a wiser fella once said, sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, the bar eats you”

But when you and your agent are constantly bitching and moaning at every opportunity, totally disrespecting the club and it’s fans that’s when I thought, please feck off.

I’ve said this in another thread, he’s everything that is bad about this club right now, him going can only be a good thing.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Regrettable for all parties.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Feels a bit like the end of the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS, with Obi-Wan's speech being aimed at Anakin ( Pogba in this case) being on the floor with his legs gone, much like Pogba's has to be fair

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
With Veron his post-United career confirmed that his issues ran deeper than a club who didn’t know how to use him. I’m willing to bet the same will be true with Pogba.
The point isn't about a club not knowing out use him. Pogba is and has always been overrated, you don't need to bet I told you that before we signed him, I also told people that he wasn't a leader nor a player that is going to help you when the team doesn't work. Now it's also true that we didn't help him or any other player but his issues are that he isn't as good as some of you think, which is problematic since many thinks that he is doing it on purpose.
That's my issue with the entire thing. I told people what would happen, what he was and then some thought that I was hating on him, when I reminded people that they were wrong and that I told them beforehand I was then labelled as a defender of Pogba.

RedRover

All the tools to be a midfield great but has been underwhelming. A lot of excuses he plays well for France but he should have been better. I think he has struggled with the pace of the Premier League.
I'd say the last comment (which I totally agree with) undermines the first. For me he's just not as good as he thinks he is - or as a lot of others thought he was. PL is the best league in the world for me, in terms of intensity and competition and he's been found lacking.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It marked the point where the club lost a sense of self-respect and common sense. If someone leaves on a free and you know their agent is a complete cnut, you don't spend 80m to get them back.

Since then it's been transfer after transfer where the club just loses its dignity bending over for players.
That was the only time I was hoping until the last minute that a transfer United desperately wanted to close would fall through. Was devastated when it finally happened.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
We trusted Fergies judgment for decades, and the minute he was gone we went and bought back someone he ditched and what a surprise it came to bite us in the arse. He plays for his country but not his club. Shown many glimpses of his talent but he never had the desire to help this team, he just wanted to be a small cog in the machine and let all the hard work be done by everyone else around him.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Poster boy for all that's wrong with us. That being said his performances weren't as bad as many make out, and we absolutely would be even worse off without him in the last few years...Glad he's gone though, good riddance.

Acquire Me

Massive disappointment. No work rate, sloppy and a waste of talent.

Brilliant player a few times.

Kaos

A bit of an odd take perhaps, but I think the Juve move when he was young coupled to his association with Raiola had dangerously inflated his ego and feeling of self-worth to the extent it sabotaged his career in the long run. He was made to feel like this GOAT tier player that was the envious desire of every club on the plant when he had no business feeling that way. Winning the world cup obviously contributed to it as well.

I remember the interview he did when he rejoined us, he said his goal was to win the Ballon d'Or. Looking back, it was an admirably ambitious goal to have, but in truth he hadn't yet proven himself to be the world beater we expected him to be. Had he stayed on with us the first time, humbled himself, avoided parasitic agents like Raiola then he might have developed into a more down to earth player with a better work ethic. Instead we got a hollywood player obsessed with social media and believing he was footballing royalty constantly flirting with other clubs at the behest of his agent.

Its a massive shame the way it ended, but unfortunately for him I don't expect it would get better for him once he (hopefully) leaves for his next club. PSG already have an issue with a star-studded team refusing to do the defensive dirty work, Madrid look like they've cooled their interest, and I don't see other clubs being able to afford his ludicrous wage demands and agent fees.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Poster boy for all that's wrong with us. That being said his performances weren't as bad as many make out, and we absolutely would be even worse off without him in the last few years...Glad he's gone though, good riddance.
Kind of. In a parallel universe where we didn’t sign anyone instead of him we’d definitely be worse off. But what if we’d used that money to sign a more reliable world class central midfielder? Someone like Kroos? or Kante?

SirAnderson

Disappointment.

We let him down by being such a shambles, never building around him properly, buying in the supporting pieces he needed to thrive.

He let us down by rarely seeming 100% bought in, constantly complaining through his various proxies about this and that, undermining us before big occasions, etc etc.

It's been a big'ol waste overall really, a shame. Best of luck to the guy though.
Well summed and outlining both sides of the story without any of the nasty bitterness we so often see around his name.

No doubt this thread will not be complete without someone saying the word virus.

lex talionis

Flashes of brilliance, but few moments where his brilliance made a difference in the outcome of any single match, let alone an entire season.

Not that it really matters, but was Pogba ever once in the PL XI side?

Laurencio

Far too inconsistent, too much drama compared to level of performance and overall a giant disappointment.

He has had flashes of brilliance, so there's clearly a good player in there somewhere, but he just hasn't shown it all that often for us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A bit of an odd take perhaps, but I think the Juve move when he was young coupled to his association with Raiola had dangerously inflated his ego and feeling of self-worth to the extent it sabotaged his career in the long run. He was made to feel like this GOAT tier player that was the envious desire of every club on the plant when he had no business feeling that way. Winning the world cup obviously contributed to it as well.

I remember the interview he did when he rejoined us, he said his goal was to win the Ballon d'Or. Looking back, while it as an admirably ambitious goal to have, but in truth he hadn't yet proven himself to be the world beater we expected him to be. Had he stayed on with us the first time, humbled himself, avoided parasitic agents like Raiola then he might have developed into a more down to earth player with a better work ethic. Instead we got a hollywood player obsessed with social media and believing he was footballing royalty constantly flirting with other clubs at the behest of his agent.

Its a massive shame the way it ended, but unfortunately for him I don't expect it would get better for him once he (hopefully) leaves for his next club. PSG already have an issue with a star-studded refusing to do the defensive dirty work, Madrid look like they've cooled their interest, and I don't see other clubs being able to afford his ludicrous wage demands and agent fees.
You could be right. There’s a narrative built up that he was a far better player at Juventus, playing in a team built to his strengths. Then went backwards after joining United. But when you analysed his stats from his final year at Juventus vs first two seasons at United, they had actually improved across every single metric.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Kind of. In a parallel universe where we didn’t sign anyone instead of him we’d definitely be worse off. But what if we’d used that money to sign a more reliable world class central midfielder? Someone like Kroos? or Kante?
Very Very true, would have cost half as much as well :(

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think this is probably one transfer that has been a massive disappointment for all parties involved. Even in a total flop like Sanchez, he got a massive contract he wouldn't have gotten anywhere else at that stage of his career and earned a fair amount when we had to subsidize his wages at Inter for his loan. So you could say it benefitted him financially far more than any other move would have.

In Pogba's case, he was obviously a massive disappointment from a Utd perspective, but even from a Pogba perspective, he wasted his prime never achieving what he might have. He would have got a comparable contract pretty much anywhere he had gone so he didn't benefit exceptionally financially from this move. And from a footballing perspective, he of course, didn't win anything much for the club.

His relationship with the fans deteriorated to an extent that most are happy to see the back of him. A disappointing move all around.

90 + 5min

I don't know why we make thread for him when there are so many players that left and people just shrugged their shoulders.

Pogba, despite all this hype through career set by agent and his fanclub, is just average player. Like he always been. This is on pure quality how I watch football. He might be worlds greatest person and great guy (I don't know) but what he has done on football pitch is average. At best.