How would you like us to approach the Liverpool game?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There is a thread asking what a good outcome is from the game in your eyes, but how said result comes round is a different question entirely - you can win/lose by a significant margin with wholly different approaches. It can be that you've gone for the game and been picked off or outright defeated, or, it could be a case of an entrenched affair where a scoreline has been kept down as low as was possible. Equally, in winning, there can be all-out assaults that lead to big results, or cagey affairs where everything goes in and gives a somewhat flattering scoreline that doesn't tell the full story of the game.

Ten Hag is under a really massive amount of pressure now, with the murmurs of his successor increasing by the day. In the predicament he/we are in, what approach to this game is actually satisfactory to you before a ball is kicked? Is it an exercise in damage limitation? - a "dignified" loss by respectable scoreline after playing a sensible system and line up? A game you want to see us evoke the spirit of the 80's in (in that decade, we were always the underdog but were nightmarishly difficult for Liverpool home or away because of pride and the ability to treat these games as one off events, removed from anything else going on in a given season) warlike aggression and obstinance? A game you'd like to see us be as cagey/cunning as we can be?

It's easy to slam and critique after the fact, but if we've gone out and executed your personal vision of the game, will you be as unrelenting in your assessment? Another question is whether this game is solely about the outcome for you, and not how we got there in the end?

If we play an actual midfield, keep it tight and try and contest the game in a functional manner, I'll be more assuaged than if we persist with nonsense, despite the two methods possibly leading to the same result regardless. Those kind of optics are dreadfully important to me in this game... the result itself, not as much, so long as we don't get pasted.

How does your line of thinking go?

Tarrou

Id probably just go full Jose if I was ten hag, if we go at them we’ll get destroyed

massiveissue

I'd prefer to see them go at it, even if we lose 5-0, than defend the whole game and still lose 5 nil.

Hughes35

Scrap. Break up the game. Outwork them and get in their faces. Make it a proper Derby.

Don't think any of this will happen though.

GazTheLegend

Id probably just go full Jose if I was ten hag, if we go at them we’ll get destroyed
This to be honest. No high press, no pretending we can play football. All our supposed best players are out so it's time to dig in a bit. I'd just pack our own half and run at them the second they enter it, play Antony Rashford and Garnacho as a 3 and whack the ball into the channels for them, that's about it.

BigRon1985

This team is so erratic I can see us getting a result on Sunday.....:cool:

The Urban Goose

Abort. Give all of the players Covid and take a 3-0 loss, that will be a better result than we'll achieve by actually turning up.

Pes6Monster

I'd prefer us not to play with a single pivot and McTom as a ten, even to replace Bruno. Start Mainoo and ensure our wingers are aware we must defend.

The biggest issue is who to play up top. Martial is more capable behind defenders and can spot a run, but will not participate in defending whereas Rashford becomes too disinterested. Garnacho is a raw talent whereas Hojlund needs to get about more. Can either Hojlund or Martial hack a false nine role, we could feasibly use Antony, Rashford or Garnacho to greater tactical effect. Go between 4231, 433 and even an orthodox/diamond 442.

All about effort, though. Nothing doing up front and it has cost us immensely this term.

Can see us playing a bit, harrying their defence from the get-go, working tough, tackling well, recycling possession, overlapping, inverting and pressing hard but not creating enough chances, going behind to an avoidable goal and losing four nil after our latest attack breaks down due to miscommunication.

Hope to heck am wrong.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Defensive, try to counter, and above all else pray!

The same formation we played in this one v City when Ole was here. Front two split wide. Got a bit lucky with the two Ederson mistakes and only had 27% possession but xG was 1.74-0.59 so a reasonably fair result.

spiriticon

I'd park 3 double decker buses, but I don't trust these guys to keep a clean sheet even with that many buses

UpWithRivers

With the injuries I dont see what option we have other than a defensive structure. if we play a 6 and two 8's who's going to play the 8's? Donny and McTominay? Plus our attack is more impotent than a 90 year old. Even counter attacking. Who is going to transition the ball to the attackers and without Rashford who's going to do the counter attacking? It will be some bastardisation if a defensive structure. Keep it tight and hope for a miracle

didz

I would like is to be focused enough to not leave huge gaps, determined enough to win our 50-50s, and clinical enough to take our chances.

So a completely different team.

Herman Toothrot

Well, without Bruno, McTominay is free to do whatever it is he does and might hopefully grab us a goal. For once, I'm happy for him to start. Behind him, Mainoo and Amrabat need to cover the defence and make a case for themselves doing this every week, because the Crash McTominay tactic alongside Bruno is pure madness.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Defensive, try to counter, and above all else pray!

The same formation we played in this one v City when Ole was here. Front two split wide. Got a bit lucky with the two Ederson mistakes and only had 27% possession but xG was 1.74-0.59 so a reasonably fair result.

Was this the one where Shaw scored away from home? We were brilliant that day! We even controlled the ball for long periods and Martial was very good.

Robin Your Persie

Wouldn’t be suprised if we started the first 10-15 mins really well create a few chances etc and then they go up and score their first chance and then the collapse will start.

Looking back at the 7-0 again the amount of balls bobbling back to their players was quite frankly ridiculous everything just went their way.

ShinjiNinja26

Approach this game by not approaching it at all. Don’t bother turning up, take the automatic 3-0 defeat. Least it keeps the score line semi respectable.

Stepney73

Pretend the team bus won’t start and tell them we can’t make it.

Roboc7

Park the bus, try and score from a rare counter attack (I’d say a set piece but that’s never going to happen). I don’t think there is any other way we can approach this game at this time, unfortunately I do not see anything from this team or manager to suggest they have to willingness, commitment and/or ability to do it successfully.

It might help that ETH can’t pick Bruno and Mctominay as he 100% would have done and that would have been a disaster but either way this game is a write off. I think the only team in the league that have less chance of giving Liverpool a tough game and getting a result at Anfield is Everton.

Hester_manc

Park the bus like the smaller teams in the league. We have 11-12 injuries, no confidence and a sea of bad results. It has been seen many times that smaller teams in the league have beaten the bigger teams with a defensive anti-football tactic. Let us do the same in the situation we are in.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Was this the one where Shaw scored away from home? We were brilliant that day! We even controlled the ball for long periods and Martial was very good.
No, this one was at Old Trafford. The one when Martial scored on the volley after a chipped free kick. McTominay got the second in stoppage time when Ederson passed it to him and was caught out of his goal.

The one you're thinking of was this:

I remember the one I mentioned well because I really wanted us to set up that exact way and I'm quite sure I posted about it, suggesting it. I felt it was a good way to play against a 4-3-3 when the other team is stronger. We know Liverpool will likely use a 4-3-3 too. We did exactly what I hoped for and it worked well. I don't often get many tactical things right so that's why it stuck in my mind. :lol:

Tap

Park the bus anti football. It’s the only way to avoid a comprehensive defeat. And with some luck, we may even sneak a 0-0 draw

Von Mistelroum

Actual hard work would be a start. We need to go full defensive and try to hit them on the break or try to keep the score down. A 9-0 loss would really affect our mental midgets, and probably the manager going forward too, though he doesn't seem too arsed when we lose as he always thinks we played well.

Skills

Snitch
Park the bus, but I don't think the manager has coached a compact structure in the middle in his time here.

Someone

Something
We don't need to park the bus, we just need to stop being naive. Put Mainoo and Amrabat in midfield, a Bruno in front of them. Liverpool will give us some space to hit them on the counter.

The biggest problem though is our mentality. The players approach those games sometimes defeated. Doesn't matter how we set up tactically if we don't believe we can win it.

Castia

4231 with 2 in the pivot

Mainoo Amrabat
Antony Martial Garnacho

red_de_pologne

We don't need to park the bus, we just need to stop being naive. Put Mainoo and Amrabat in midfield, a Bruno in front of them. Liverpool will give us some space to hit them on the counter.

The biggest problem though is our mentality. The players approach those games sometimes defeated. Doesn't matter how we set up tactically if we don't believe we can win it.
Bruno is suspended

Parma Dewol

Have you not read the thread title? This is what we want, not what we expect. Big difference.
Fair. In that case I’d want a last-minute Hojlund winner after a fraught 90 minutes of Onana wonder saves. What a confidence boost that would be.

davidmichael

Just seen Michael Oliver is refereeing so our best bet is to get our fans to kick off and get the game called off, having that cnut officiate kills any chance we had of anything from the game.