How would you punish the players?

Lentwood

I wouldn't punish them. I'd have told them at full-time that I'd be on the training ground tomorrow at 09:00, they could choose between having the day off or coming in and working to put it right.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Give them a raise, yes. BUT, make them feel very bad about it for a minute.

alquemyst

No punishment now but the ideal one would be replacing a few of the ones who didn't give a shit with proper players.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’d say the only 7 that matters today is how many points you are ahead of the greatest team in English football history. Pay rise for that.

Intenhaagwetrust

I don't think a physical punishment like at the start of the season will work, these players have been at 100mph twice a week since the world cup.

HOWEVER that was not acceptable.

Mctom should never ever play for this club again.

Shaw has been absolutely incredible this season wtf was that?

Casimiro looked injured.

Fred did OK first half I assume he was subbed to stop him getting sent off.

Weghorst is work horst and did keep making things happen.

Bruno is a petulant little child who couldn't be arsed as he was on the left and gave such little effort, he must be dropped. I'd like to see scancho take his place and position For betis and Southampton.

Dalot awful, was shocked we didn't go with this new AWB tbh and we absolutely should have, Dalot has struggled in the last 2 games.

Varane and Martinez had an awful day but they have the right attitude to come back.

DDG shouldn't have let half them trickle in, I'd say drop him but Tom Heaton? Our SQUAD IS PAPER THIN and we are paying for it now.

Rashford couldn't have done much else.

Antony :- HA ,I always say givr players from outside the league 12 months and I'll say it with him as he can be unbelievably good, but yesterday he needs to punished by being dropped.

What a SHAMBLES.

it's highlighted what we've all been saying for YEARS this squad isn't close to good enough,we have players who'd struggle at Championship level (mctom) and ddg on almost half a million a week.

I fully trust ETH and was calling for him for years, but he needs to learn from this too.

A publishing physical punishment is not the way this time.

Players need to be told you ever do that again, you follow Ronaldo out the door the next day.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Never waste a good crisis. The 7-0 is a great opportunity to help the team bond while they are vulnerable as well as a tool to help them take things more seriously and fuel the hunger for the coming months and years.

Thankfully it was only 3 points in the league and not a cup final or anything massive.

I have a good feeling about this. We needed this slap for what is coming.

jem

In all seriousness, it’s a tricky one. I’d definitely bench/rest a few of them: I’d start the following for Betis: DDG; AWB, Lindelof (rest Varane); Martinez; Malacia (time for annual boot up Shaw’s ass); Casemiro (wish we could rest him); Fred; Sabitzer (bench Bruno); Rashford; Wout (no other option); Sancho (bench Antony, and not just for one game.)

Marcelinho87

Bad results and bad performances happen. You don’t punish that.

If you want publicly mark a line in the sand as to what is acceptable and what isn’t, you do it by dropping the senior players who should understand and react accordingly.
That wasn't simply a bad result or a bad performance - It was downright unprofessional and disrespectful to the fans.

No player should ever down tools or give up like yesterday.

Stig

Do they really need to be punished ? Will that motivate them ?

How about " Lads that was awful. Everything possible went right for them, everything possible went wrong for us in the second half. In the first half we had 4 shots on target. They had one. I felt we were doing very well. But then it all went wrong and in these circumstances, we've got to learn how to cope emotionally and tactically. We will have a session this afternoon, on coping in a match where either you, or the team, or both are having a terrible time."

Stig

Dominos

It's a real shame there's not financial penalties for the sort of shambles we seen yesterday, some of them shouldn't get their wages this week. You cannot just stop trying on a football pitch and humiliate the fans like that and not have any consequences. If we missed out on top 4 on goal difference at the end of the season also then you'd be looking back at these jokers giving up and let Liverpool do whatever they wanted for the last 30 minutes.

While we're at it, I'd even go as far as financial penalties for players picking up completely avoidable suspensions, bookings and red cards for stupid shit.

kthanksbye

Call them to the auditorium, play the highlights on the screen, give them a pen and a paper, ask them to write a 300 word report on what they did wrong. No phones, no one leaves the room till they complete it.
Edit - ETH does the same, obviously.

United Hobbit

Agree with fining them to recompense the fans who travelled to watch them, any remaining proceeds split between the United charities

And make them run too a la Brentford punishment, but further

Salford_Red83

Watch the game again, in full and take responsibility.

Show them clips of Nunez and Gakpo missing chance after chance and generally looking terrible since they arrived at Liverpool this season. Then show them clips of how they took apart our defense with ease.

Then show them a collection of all the tweets, memes and jokes everyone is having at our expense. Use it as a catalyst ffs!

Edwards6

Make them refund the away fans for a start, maybe also pay the away travel for the next few games

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Make them do social work in Liverpool for a weekend, in any role where they will have to interact with Liverpool fans for an extended duration of time. And then the same in Manchester the next weekend.
Also fine them the game's wages, and use it to refund the travelling fans, yes.

EtH should be part of the group in both. It only works if he takes the blame, too.

Bondi77

Tell them that from now on their wages will be performance related.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
  1. Don't play a single one of them in Thursday.
  2. Make them train and not recover Monday.
  3. Remove them training suit, and give them normal ones without the badge.
  4. Fine them for the behavior.

JuriM

Give 2 days rest and only do a tactical brief on Tuesday and easy recovering training Wednesday, they need rest - mentally and physically. We have a lot of games ahead and everyone needs to forget Sunday.

Castia

No punishment

They're having a good season and weirdly a very good first half at Anfield

The game needs analysed to find out why they had a meltdown in that second half because that can't happen again

JB7

Make them refund the away fans for a start, maybe also pay the away travel for the next few games
This is such a small club nonsense thing to do. You know what you’re getting into as a football fan, anything can happen, and you shouldn’t be refunded just because the team were shite.

arthurka

Waterboarding and splinters behind the nails while running Souness vile blabbering on 130 dB. That should do it.

K Stand Knut

The alleged truth is that he (ETH) made them sit in silence and listen to the Liverpool players celebrating BEFORE then laying in to them and dressing them down about their performance.

I presume that will have been that and we’d have returned to training as planned yesterday. There is no benefit to anyone to make them run more or to punish them physically. We barely have enough time to prepare between matches now anyway so would be counter-productive

Edwards6

This is such a small club nonsense thing to do. You know what you’re getting into as a football fan, anything can happen, and you shouldn’t be refunded just because the team were shite.
It's not about being shite, every team has bad performances. it's about the whole team just giving up half way through the game

Nothing. Stern talking to but they dont need to be told its not good enough, they know. We have enough players with the right mentality to impart that on the whole squad. The challenge is to motivate them all for the next game. We've been getting tired for a few weeks now, we don't have the rest time to make them run 20km. Draw a line under it and move on.

Outside that there will be a couple of players dropped and/or talked to individually.

JB7

It's not about being shite, every team has bad performances. it's about the whole team just giving up half way through the game
Yeah but you know what you’re getting into as a fan. It’s a nonsense refunding fans. “We let you down have your money back” in the bin, just don’t do it again.