Hunting endangered species

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Really? Sounds logical actually. I suppose if we did away with all our luxuries we'dbe fine. We never will though.
I don't even think we have to go that far. Just the amount of food wasted and thrown away from restaurants, Wal-Marts, supermarkets on a daily basis is staggering. If we combine that with the inefficiencies throughout I think most people would be astounded at truly how much biological/energy efficiency is wasted so our overall system can massage the stats to look economically efficient for private entities.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Read a stat that 90℅ or something like that of trophy hunters are American? Would guess these lot are as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m thinking of setting up a new business venture; Trophy hunting with a twist, the Trophies are anyone currently hunting endangered species.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That's actually not true. Overpopulation is a myth that was first false propagated by Thomas Malthus (who was subsequently proven wrong both in theory and in reality).

What the planet has is a resource distribution problem not a lack of resource problem. Technologically and biologically there are more than enough resources to support double the population we have (although clearly not organized in the inefficient manner they are now)
Never heard that before, though not disbelieving it - please explain more

EDIT: have now read the rest of the thread and seen that have already!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I know this has probably been thrashed out whenever that lion (and his brother, who is also a lion) got shot but I'm listening to a really good Radiolab podcast about trophy hunting. They follow the bloke who paid over a quarter of a million dollars to shoot a black rhino. He was designated an aged male, that tend to kill younger males and rape/kill females too young to breed, so a cull benefits the herd.

All the money he paid goes into preservation and, more importantly, gives these animals a legitimate monetary value. Which means land-owners are more willing to let game live and breed on their land. The alternative being encroachment on the territory of wild animals by growing crops or farming cattle.

Bearing in mind we haven't a hope of stopping the human population from expanding and utilising more and more wilderness to generate income this all seems like a no-brainer to me. The best way to perpetuate the survival of these species is to sacrifice a small number of them for the greater good. Trophy-hunting is an important part of the conservation effort and the hunters that pump money into the system shouldn't be demonised the way people turned on that lion-killing dentist.

What says the caf?
This Twitter thread is quite good on this issue.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Humans give animals value as food, as ornaments, and sometimes as components of an ecological web.
As food, it does not matter that the individual animals suffer amazing amounts of torture before their death since their value is after death, and the suffering generally correlates with efficiency and more end-product.
As parts of an ecological web, the animals have to have be in substantial numbers for some equilibrium to be reached. Game reserves aren't good examples of that.

So big-game hunting "preserves" animals not for food (I don't think people eat lions, and at any rate it is amazingly inefficient food), not for the ecological web, but for ornaments. These animals literally exist to please us aesthetically, and then get shot. We're not preserving the species out of some respect for nature, but so that a handful people can see them instead of in pictures, and an even smaller handful of people can kill them. Saving species is not a worthy goal in itself without trying to recreate a proper balanced ecosystem. If they are in a balanced ecosystem, hunting would not be necessary.