"I conquered England – it took three months."

RedMaestro

I agree. One player can't win ECL'S, medals in that comp is a silly way to criticse him.

However the problem is that the big Zlatan fans want it both ways. When he doesn't win things, internationally or in the ECL, the lesser quality of the team is brought up. Like you have above. It's sensible reasoning.

On the flip side he wins leagues with Ajax, Barcelona, PSG, Inter and there's zero mention of the obvious point. That those teams are either expected to win leagues and do win leagues with or without him.

Before anybody gets upset this really isn't a criticism of Zlatan. It's nothing to do really with his ability.

I'm just pointing out the bias and inconsistency. If you blame the team when he doesn't win titles acknowledge the teams he was playing for when did. It's only fair.
Not saying that you don't have valid points, because you do. But Ajax hadn't won the League title for a couple of years before Ibra joined the team. And for Inter the team hadn't won the League title since the 80's before he joined them - well they got the title 05/06 after the Calciopoli, but Ibra won that year with Juventus, not his fault that there were certain circumstances. PSG hadn't won the League title since the 90's before Ibra. The year before he joined them they still had a strong team but still couldn't win - after Ibra, this year PSG are in third place five points behind Nice. They have 39 points after 19 games, last year with Ibra they had 51 points after the same amount of games I believe.

The only teams that have been clubs that are expected to win and had a realistical chance to do so (because of form and opponents etc.) were Juventus and Barcelona.

So most of the teams he has played for have benefitted of having him in the team. He has made major contributions to those teams. But I agree with you that there are some that exaggerate but this goes both ways - both the ones that "like" and "dislike" him.

Dobbs

Not saying that you don't have valid points, because you do. But Ajax hadn't won the League title for a couple of years before Ibra joined the team. And for Inter the team hadn't won the League title since the 80's before he joined them - well they got the title 05/06 after the Calciopoli, but Ibra won that year with Juventus, not his fault that there were certain circumstances. PSG hadn't won the League title since the 90's before Ibra. The year before he joined them they still had a strong team but still couldn't win - after Ibra, this year PSG are in third place five points behind Nice. They have 39 points after 19 games, last year with Ibra they had 51 points after the same amount of games I believe.

The only teams that have been clubs that are expected to win and had a realistical chance to do so (because of form and opponents etc.) were Juventus and Barcelona.

So most of the teams he has played for have benefitted of having him in the team. He has made major contributions to those teams. But I agree with you that there are some that exaggerate but this goes both ways - both the ones that "like" and "dislike" him.
I agree with some of the above but not the bolded part. Given the respective circumstances at the time PSG and Inter would be winning titles or at the very least be challenging. That seems indisputable to me.

On the face of it this looks like I'm criticising Ibra. I'm genuinely not. He's obviously played a big role in some of these titles, I just think the praise he gets for winning titles in numerous countries is overdone.

This never gets mentioned but it's surely more down to the transient nature of his career. He's had seven (?) moves around the top clubs in Europe. Obviously you need a big talent for these clubs to want you in the first place but others could have done the same had they chosen to.

For example if Rio Ferdinand wanted I'm sure he could have pushed for moves around Europe, picking up leagues in Spain, England, Germany etc.

It's just rare for top players to do that though, they normally only have two or three clubs.

As I said before I'm only bringing this up as a response to the team being blamed when he doesn't win titles. It only seems right we acknowledge the strength of his teams when he does.

The United

Hopefully, he started doing that more in matches against 'big teams' as well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Big ego for sure, great impact in every league he played, just indifferent at international level.
Yeah alright @Bepi. 62 goals in 116 games for Sweden. Record scorer.

Loads of goals against big national teams, dragged his country to a couple of tournaments... "indifferent" :lol:
It's as if our own fans don't realise just how good our own players are!
No doubt, if Ibra was playing for CFC, MCFC, AFC or even LFC, those same fans would be saying that they fear Ibra will tear us apart.

Check this guy out, saying that Ibra was deadwood at PSG. :houllier:

... For PSG he was deadwood already.

Last edited:

RedMaestro

I agree with some of the above but not the bolded part. Given the respective circumstances at the time PSG and Inter would be winning titles or at the very least be challenging. That seems indisputable to me.

On the face of it this looks like I'm criticising Ibra. I'm genuinely not. He's obviously played a big role in some of these titles, I just think the praise he gets for winning titles in numerous countries is overdone.

This never gets mentioned but it's surely more down to the transient nature of his career. He's had seven (?) moves around the top clubs in Europe. Obviously you need a big talent for these clubs to want you in the first place but others could have done the same had they chosen to.

For example if Rio Ferdinand wanted I'm sure he could have pushed for moves around Europe, picking up leagues in Spain, England, Germany etc.

It's just rare for top players to do that though, they normally only have two or three clubs.

As I said before I'm only bringing this up as a response to the team being blamed when he doesn't win titles. It only seems right we acknowledge the strength of his teams when he does.
It's actually more difficult than one would think, regarding representing so many clubs. Some players have problems settling in, could be cultural problems, tactical problems. Some players can function in a new League but it can take time, but Ibra has always managed to make a big impact from start. Maybe his first season in Ajax could be seen as a bit "complicated", since he have a bit of trouble to settle in and make the correct tactical decisions - actually quite normal since it was his first "mission" abroad and he was still young.

I don't see it as you being critical since you make very good points. But I feel it as he has made great contributions to these teams - it's not like he's been on the bench and been "sponging". But there are a lot of players who have big CV's, for instance Ibra's friend Maxwell who I think has even more titles.

About the team's "helping" Ibra win/lose the title I would say that it's pretty simple. The better the team, the better the "Z-man". But with him he's been great despite the weaknesses in some of the teams he has represented. Just shows his strengths. But no one should forget that this sport is a team sport and not an individual one.

The reason why some players never change teams is also quite simple. Some already represent great clubs in good Leagues. They also often are i.e. Spanish and represent Barcelona - why leave, you can't find anything better. But players like Ibra start their careers in a "small" country in an unknown League where they can't develop enough or win anything that most top players want.

Would just like to add with that I really enjoy this forum, very intelligent members with sensible ideas. I may not have as much knowledge as some of the members here but I'm glad that I get the chance to have my say without feeling "stupid". I also like that I get the chance to write in this language since it's not something I usually do.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I can't believe 7-8 wins in a row obliterate dispassionate (supported by pitch results in the CL) assessments this way! Fair enough, enjoy your king. :)