"I couldn't care less about CL football next season if LVG is still here."

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
As much as I dislike LVG, nothing trumps wanting my club to succeed, which includes qualifying for the champions league. I find it absolutely ridiculous that some fans would actually want us to lose or fail to achieve something like top 4 just to see a manager leave.

And if LVG manages to get top 4 this season, before staying on and possibly doing even better next season then yes, I would consider him a success here. The reason I dislike him the most is the style of football he wants us to play, and the utter shite he comes out with. I don't get the feeling he particular loves this club either.

spwd

For one this season.
Yet you're ignoring the two seasons under this clown having spent 250 million and made so many stupid decisions on and off the pitch, while ignoring the rest of Mourinhos career, very strange logic as its obvious both teams seasons aren't just down to the manager.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The fact is he destroys any form of risk taking creativity and wants kids so he can browbeat them into being his drones, CL or no CL wont alter the mind of players who are at the top level when it comes to having to work for LvG.
I don't want to argue because I don't want to be seen to be defending LVG. But Robben still speaks highly of him. Martial and Rashford don't look like they're suffering or have been stifled.
My general point is another season out of the CL does more damage to the club than LVG staying another season.

spwd

I'd love us to be in the cl but if LVB is still here, we will more than likely be shite in it having not got the players in to improve us because they don't want to play under this fraud so it's very important that he goes.
I'm positive that more potential signings would join us under Mourinho in the el than cl under this doofus.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tottenham have been better than us no doubt. So have Leicester. However, every single club we expected to challenge with us this year are either really close (to the point we don't know who is going to finish above who) or behind us. That to me says something. Maybe the teams in the prem can now handle the bigger clubs more effectively. Maybe it's the fact that Leicester have been underdogs means that teams have played against them differently. There's certainly change afoot in the premier league and it's made it immensely entertaining.
I don't think there is change afoot, I'm more of the belief that the managers are extremely poor (Wenger included). When Conte and Pep arrive, we'l see a gulf between the top 2-3 teams and the rest of the league again, imo. LVG won't put us in the top band, thats for sure.

Hellboy

Seeing this statement too many times to even quote individuals and ask them if they're part of a group-think or whether, they, as individuals, genuinely feel that way.

Further, there's people saying they'd do without CL next season, full-stop, or under the proviso it's enough to get LVG out the door.

Is this emotion overruling the head? When push comes to shove, do you, who have stated as such, stand by it?
Yes and yes ! Simply because we will do feck all in Europe with Van Gaal.

ti vu

I don't want to argue because I don't want to be seen to be defending LVG. But Robben still speaks highly of him. Martial and Rashford don't look like they're suffering or have been stifled.
My general point is another season out of the CL does more damage to the club than LVG staying another season.
Thing is LVG is a good coach and for some players he is a good teacher. However, the question is whether he is good enough for them to up their level to next height. Robben got better under Heynckes. LVG made Muller undroppable, but Muller also got recognition as world class under Heynckes. Xavi, Alaba, Bastian... too. He's like a good teacher/counsellor for younger players, but for them to reach the greatest high, LVG isn't the man. LVG fall out with many players too. So with LVG negativity goes along side and negate positivity.

entropy

:lol: I like how some of our fans think we have the luxury to reject cl football. Any chance we get to compete in cl should be grabbed with both hands. The last time I checked we barely managed to qualify for cl.

Dobba

You can almost guarantee the people who use the 'greater good' argument, for wanting us out of the Champions League, will be the most angry in the Transfer forum when players are choosing to move to City or Arsenal over United in the summer.

ZAGREB RED

:lol: I like how some of our fans think we can reject cl football. Any chance we get to compete in cl should be grabbed with both hands. The last time I checked we barely managed to qualify for cl.
Exactly. If he won the title next season, that would mean the new guy coming in to take over a championship winning team with CL football to look forward to. Let's face it. his next season - if he stays - has to be the last so how could any United fan say they wouldn't be happy with a PL win, regardless of how much they dislike LvG ? I'm not a fan of his by any means, BUT if United win the FA Cup, he stays on and United win the PL next season, I would just say, well, thanks Louis, wasn't always a pleasure but it's better than not winning anything in 3 seasons at all.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
It's a ridicilous way of thinking. CL is more important than LvG staying or not.
Wtf ?

Being in a competition is more important than who our coach is next season ?

What effect do you think being in the CL will have for us ? I mean we could attract players like Di Maria whilst not being in the CL, so that doesnt make much of a difference but if we stick by LVG what fool will want to come and play for that clown ?

I hope we get CL and we fire LVG but if getting CL would mean LVG doesn't get firred I'd rather we nog get it. LVG is pure poison for this club, the sooner he is out, the sooner our recovery can start. If we need to go into the CL with LVG as our coach we will just be ridiculed again like this year, so wtf is the point ?

Devil may care

I don't want to argue because I don't want to be seen to be defending LVG. But Robben still speaks highly of him. Martial and Rashford don't look like they're suffering or have been stifled. My general point is another season out of the CL does more damage to the club than LVG staying another season.
Rashford and Martial are kids so they are open to him basically telling them what to do rather than having individualism, notice how he takes credit for their great moments. Another season continuing to build our reputation as the ugliest club in Europe and a club lacking the balls to jettison a dud manager due to personal agendas of weak executives will do us more harm than missing out on the CL again.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
‘It’s the competing that keeps them happy,’ he says. ‘Fans want their emotions to come to the surface and the only to way to make that happen is to give them a team that transmits emotion: intensity, attacking, scoring goals, competing, fighting.

‘That awakens them. The fans want emotions. The Champions League generates more money and allows you to buy better players but what fans really want is to enjoy their team, to win things. If you have money but you don’t generate feeling and emotion, it’s worthless. You can be in the Champions League and generate money but if you get knocked out in the group it means nothing to the fans. Sure, you’ve made 20m, but what does that mean to them?’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-greatest-feeling-football.html#ixzz484o5URug
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Devil may care

You can almost guarantee the people who use the 'greater good' argument, for wanting us out of the Champions League, will be the most angry in the Transfer forum when players are choosing to move to City or Arsenal over United in the summer.
The top players would pick those clubs over playing for LvG anyway, we have built a reputation of playing shite football that stifles creativity and attacking freedom, top players have their choices of clubs and wont sacrifice their game to play under this dreck.

Adisa

Exactly what I said in the last page.

Devil may care

‘It’s the competing that keeps them happy,’ he says. ‘Fans want their emotions to come to the surface and the only to way to make that happen is to give them a team that transmits emotion: intensity, attacking, scoring goals, competing, fighting.

‘That awakens them. The fans want emotions. The Champions League generates more money and allows you to buy better players but what fans really want is to enjoy their team, to win things. If you have money but you don’t generate feeling and emotion, it’s worthless. You can be in the Champions League and generate money but if you get knocked out in the group it means nothing to the fans. Sure, you’ve made 20m, but what does that mean to them?’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-greatest-feeling-football.html#ixzz484o5URug
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Exactly, I'd take the current crop under a new manager over another season of LvG and another £150M spent on his players.

Adisa

Rashford and Martial are kids so they are open to him basically telling them what to do rather than having individualism, notice how he takes credit for their great moments. Another season continuing to build our reputation as the ugliest club in Europe and a club lacking the balls to jettison a dud manager due to personal agendas of weak executives will do us more harm than missing out on the CL again.
Well that's your opinion and I have to say I disagree.

Morpheus 7

If van gaal is in charge next season regardless of CL football.I hardly think all the exciting players in Europe will be queing up to play for him.

ti vu

Exactly. If he won the title next season, that would mean the new guy coming in to take over a championship winning team with CL football to look forward to. Let's face it. his next season - if he stays - has to be the last so how could any United fan say they wouldn't be happy with a PL win, regardless of how much they dislike LvG ? I'm not a fan of his by any means, BUT if United win the FA Cup, he stays on and United win the PL next season, I would just say, well, thanks Louis, wasn't always a pleasure but it's better than not winning anything in 3 seasons at all.
We could't win title with the other big teams doing badly this season, what makes you think we would under LVG next year with the big clubs look to strengthen and back to business? Nobody wishes for the club and LVG not to succeed. However, this imaginary glory day is based on wishful thinking than solid evidence. We are less consistent than we were last season. We score less this season and has been even more boring than last season. What makes you think we can suddenly up our games several notch over the summer?

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If 5th place is what it needs to get senile and cheater out...

Devil may care

Well that's your opinion and I have to say I disagree.
So you think top players will want to come here and play in a team with no creative intent and a rigidly stale system under a narcissistic, domineering dinosaur, just because we'd have 6 extra games?

Devil may care

If 5th place is what it needs to get senile and cheater out...
That's another thing to take into consideration, it's not just one more season under this fraud it will be several more under skeezy, which is an even worse thought.

ghagua

If 4th place means LvG being retained, then i would rather United miss out on the Champions league. I cannot stand another season of watching this team being managed by this man. I would rather have a new guy in charge instead of being knocked out in the first stage of the Champions league by some unknown team.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not sure what the argument actually is: If people reason that 4th equals another year of LVG, then I can see where they're coming from.

The problem is that we don't know that the above is true. I prefer to leave LVG out of the equation as much as possible: 4th is generally important. CL next season is generally important. Not life-and-death important, but it's important enough: It means we stay somewhat relevant.

And the argument that we'll just be shite in the CL anyway, so who cares - well, that strikes me as bizarre. You can't possibly predict how we'll look months from now - not even if LVG stays.

manutddjw

I get what it does to City with us finishing 4th, but it doesn't hurt them all that much. They have money to spend and Pep is a draw for players. They can still do what they need to do even without the Champions League.

On the other hand keeping LvG harms us. He's got 1 year left and if we wait we'll find ourselves in the same situation we did when Sir Alex retired needing a top manager and no one being available.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If 4th place means LvG being retained, then i would rather United miss out on the Champions league. I cannot stand another season of watching this team being managed by this man. I would rather have a new guy in charge instead of being knocked out in the first stage of the Champions league by some unknown team.
As much as that's hard to stomach a United fan saying this I can empathise totally. LVG is serving up a dreadful brand of football. If he was saying this or saying we need to improve then I would think there would be more sympathy towards him. But he comes across like he is happy with the shite he is serving up and we should all be grateful to him.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Stand by my tagline. Need LVG to lose so united can win. Dont think he goes if united are in the top 4. If we get CL with him, we ll be dumped out of it anyway in the group stages. No use. I hope we begin fresh with mourinho, he was the manager we should have signed after fergie.

mark_a

Crazy statement, but understandable.

Obviously we want CL football, but if we struggle to beat Norwich and lose over 2 legs to a mediocre Liverpool side in Europe (who wanted to win more than us), who will be confident if or when we get into the CL?!

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can't seriously respect anyone's opinion if they want United to lose champions league qualification just so they can get the manager sacked. That is just a terrible mentality to support a team.

lysglimt

Scout
If the players stop playing for the manager then it's very difficult to get them back. You could point to bad man management, but it is nonetheless clear that they gave up when you compare their early season form to the immediate change after bringing in Hiddinck. Chelsea players know the way the club works. Stop turning, up, Roman gets rid. I'd be very interested to see whether that is the case here. He'd get the kind of backing here that he could've only dreamed of in the past. We're very unlikely to sack him after a poor few weeks.

Even if that is the case, 2-3 years is a long time in football these days, and he's clearly the best choice available by a distance.
If you by available mean "unemployed", maybe yes - but it's perfectly possible to get a manager from another club. And if that is the case - he is not the best available imo

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
If you by available mean "unemployed", maybe yes - but it's perfectly possible to get a manager from another club. And if that is the case - he is not the best available imo
Who do you think is "available" then

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I love the CL and seeing the knockout rounds without United hurts every time.

Angelinho

There's no guarantee that he will be gone if we finish fifth. Support the team over the last three games, then get pissed at The Board if they fail to wield the axe over the summer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's another thing to take into consideration, it's not just one more season under this fraud it will be several more under skeezy, which is an even worse thought.
The cl is in my opinion the pinnacle of football. Hence why I sometimes criticised safety when he opted for Lidlington like signings who would made us strong enough for the title but not for the cl. Having said that watching this crap is getting more unbearable with every game and the future with giggs seem far from rosy

ghagua

As much as that's hard to stomach a United fan saying this I can empathise totally. LVG is serving up a dreadful brand of football. If he was saying this or saying we need to improve then I would think there would be more sympathy towards him. But he comes across like he is happy with the shite he is serving up and we should all be grateful to him.
Absolutely. He was saying that the expectations were set too high for United, something he must have known before taking the job.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Who would you say is available? The only names that can compete with Mourinho for me, and offer a similar blend of experience, appeal and ability are Ancelloti, Guardiola and Klopp, and all are out of the question. Perhaps Simeone, but if you're willing to accept him then i don't understand why you're so against Mourinho. Both bring controversy and disrepute, and both have reputations for negative football. The only difference is in the case of Mourinho, it isn't true.

Art

Art the artist
I don't want United to lose but I certainly want LVG sacked. That said, I echo the sentiment of the thread title. LVG has shown nothing in this season footballing wise to indicate that there will be some improvement next year and with the large amounts of money he spends on players who go onto being misused by him, I can't help but think we'd get eliminated in the group stages of CL and still play shit football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still seems strange people think we just have Mourinho hanging around

"we'll let you know in mid May Jose".
Not happening! He's on way whatever!