I feel no connection to these Utd players

BigRon1985

You feel that way because we are not winning. And we are not winning due to a mix of poor management and squad quality/structure. But it is not because the players don't want to win.
I wish it were that simple. I'm not so concerned with the actual winning more the lack of winning mentality aspect. Too many players are dialling in their performances. When Pogba keeps losing possession in the middle of the park ie the Southampton game trying some stupid show pony trick and then he jogs back instead of sprinting back to win the possession he lost, I despair. I like Jones when he's fit because he really tries, same with Fellaini and Young whatever you may think of their ability. Mata is probably my favourite player because he's class but doesn't play enough - same with Herrera. Maybe it's the money that's ruining the game? Where do you get your hunger and desire when you're earning quarter of a million pounds a week?

ForestRGoinUp

I wish it were that simple. I'm not so concerned with the actual winning more the lack of winning mentality aspect. Too many players are dialling in their performances. When Pogba keeps losing possession in the middle of the park ie the Southampton game trying some stupid show pony trick and then he jogs back instead of sprinting back to win the possession he lost, I despair. I like Jones when he's fit because he really tries, same with Fellaini and Young whatever you may think of their ability. Mata is probably my favourite player because he's class but doesn't play enough - same with Herrera. Maybe it's the money that's ruining the game? Where do you get your hunger and desire when you're earning quarter of a million pounds a week?
To answer the last question, the manager.

Bojan11

I agree with you OP. The state of Lingard, Rashford and Shaw in those pics. I can’t imagine any of the class of 92 launching a clothing line in the middle of the season especially when we were nowhere near the top. Focus on the football.

Devil77

I agree with you OP. The state of Lingard, Rashford and Shaw in those pics. I can’t imagine any of the class of 92 launching a clothing line in the middle of the season especially when we were nowhere near the top. Focus on the football.
Shaw looks like a character from Jersey Shore... I guess you would be more tolerant about these things if the players were constantly performing (as with Ronaldo and Beckham).

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’ve felt that way with Liverpool a number of times over the years. Don’t worry, you’ll get back to feeling a connection once you start playing well.

the chameleon

Besides the Spanish Amigos (De Gea, Mata and Rashford + a bunch of youth players I'm hopeful for.

Oh, Dalot is another one that I'm looking forward to, maybe the first time since we got Ronaldo in 2003 that I'm excited about a young right sided player.

The rest are either mercenary or just not good enough!
Pogba, Fellaini, Lukaku...I just don’t like any of the players.

Apart from Dave and Rashford, I feel no connection with any of them. Which is so different to Utd sides of the past where I really looked up to so many of the players, even the not so talented ones like Darren Fletcher who would always give us everything and score important goals.

I don’t like modern Man Utd at all and it saddens me.

Shark

@NotShark
A lot of this thread just comes across like a lot of older folk mystified with the youth of today, it's funny, but its all a bit dailymail.
It also doesn’t help when we’re absolute shite.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I know what you mean, this group of players are particularly awful. I think, for me though, it's football as a whole.

The sheer scale of squad turnover across the Premier League is seriously hard even keep up with now. I used to watched loads of football, especially Premier League. I went traveling just before LVG's reign and was gone for most of that seasons so I didn't really see all that many non-United games during that time

By the time I was home and the next season rolled around, I was excited to start following the league again. Watched an opening day game between two midtable teams... and I barely knew who half of the fecking players were. Either that or I didn't realise that had moved to that club. And this was after barely a year of not following things closely.

It's probably been the case for while that any give starting XI could just as easily be the starting XI for any other club to a certain extent, but this really hammered that home for me and was a turning point in how I feel about football.

Not picking on Liverpool here, it's just an example. Their excellent front 3 is an Egyptian, a Brazilian and Senegalese. About as far removed from Scouse as you could possibly get :lol:. Seems more and more strange to me with each passing day that fully-grown men invest so much emotionally in these random assortment of players from all around the world.

Add the that the increasingly cringey self-indulgent, dabbing wankers that inhabit the game now. Just look at the state of these absolute bellends:

I will always enjoy the sport of course, will always be glued to the screen for massively important games even when they're cagey, boring affairs, and will always want United to do as well as possible (it isn't like I can switch that off). Ultimately, though:

I think we are getting too old for this.
Sums it up very nicely!

minoo-utd

What a spoilt bunch of supporters we have. You lot have been spoilt due to SAF and now being 7th isn't enough for you? We are literally above 50 other teams in England. Get a grip. Back in my day we supported ALL players and EVERY manager. We must support the manager at all costs

The usual lecture we can expect to get when complaining about this shambles of a team. Mourinho OUT ffs
When you want the manager to feck off because he is shit and play boring, coward and shit football, it doesn't mean you are spoled or not supporting you team.

minoo-utd

Hope Jesse now focus on his business and give away football.

minoo-utd

you can single out some who look like they really play for the badge no matter how shit we are. For me the three Spaniards, Young and lately Rashford.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't understand why players need to "focus on football" when they're outside of their contracted hours. They're allowed to do whatever they bloody well want to during that time. I know that when I got home from work I had no desire to then go to the pub with my mates and speak about what we did at work and what we would do next week.

mark_a

A lot of this thread just comes across like a lot of older folk mystified with the youth of today, it's funny, but its all a bit dailymail.
I'm "older folk" and it totally does! But I think the point stands that if we're not playing that well, then fans are always going to think "concentrate on the football!" Just like when Pogba and Lingard were posting goal celebration practices on IG, the response can only be "Score some bloody goals then!" (which in fairness, Lingard was/is!)

In terms of players I feel "connected to" and like, that tends to be the ones who play with some passion and work hard. I don't need to list them as it's obvious!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Good analysis.
When the team is performing below expectation and results are mixed at best it is often easier to find fault in most things rather than any positives.

Your point about money ruining the game is one I hear from so many people.
The squad that so many fans associated themselves with was probably the Busby babes, most of whom were local to Manchester and were essentially working class people.

Those days are far gone and the beautiful game is now all about money.
The class of 92 were quite similar but again that is not likely to happen again although I would dearly like to see more English players in the squad.

youmeletsfly

But, as a general question, how do you feel "connected" to these players or any players in general?

Stadjer

I know what you mean, this group of players are particularly awful. I think, for me though, it's football as a whole.

The sheer scale of squad turnover across the Premier League is seriously hard even keep up with now. I used to watched loads of football, especially Premier League. I went traveling just before LVG's reign and was gone for most of that seasons so I didn't really see all that many non-United games during that time

By the time I was home and the next season rolled around, I was excited to start following the league again. Watched an opening day game between two midtable teams... and I barely knew who half of the fecking players were. Either that or I didn't realise that had moved to that club. And this was after barely a year of not following things closely.

It's probably been the case for while that any give starting XI could just as easily be the starting XI for any other club to a certain extent, but this really hammered that home for me and was a turning point in how I feel about football.

Not picking on Liverpool here, it's just an example. Their excellent front 3 is an Egyptian, a Brazilian and Senegalese. About as far removed from Scouse as you could possibly get :lol:. Seems more and more strange to me with each passing day that fully-grown men invest so much emotionally in these random assortment of players from all around the world.

Add the that the increasingly cringey self-indulgent, dabbing wankers that inhabit the game now. Just look at the state of these absolute bellends:

I will always enjoy the sport of course, will always be glued to the screen for massively important games even when they're cagey, boring affairs, and will always want United to do as well as possible (it isn't like I can switch that off). Ultimately, though:

Sums it up very nicely!
This is worded perfectly.. getting too old is a decent conclusion too. I suppose the current young generation does like Lingard his fashion, his attempts at being a fashion icon, influencer and superstar...

It used to be the superstars who had the attention (Beckham, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Madrid Galacticos) but now even average players are superstars and need to have their own brand, celebration or whatever they can think of to get extra attention.

The actual game is still fun (maybe current Manchester United matches not so much) but everything outside of a actual match not so much. Thankfully i dont have to follow any of these footballers on instagram, twitter or other social media so i can avoid almost all of them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Shaw looks like an astronaut. Lingard and Rashford look like a cross between Neymar, a pimp and Dani Alves.

the chameleon

If Lingard delivered consistently for us, no one would care. Rio had his 5 magazine and other ventures, no one was bothered.

Lingard has plenty of opportunities for money outside of football - sponsorships. But he needs to be consistent and the brands will take notice.

This reminds me of when Tom Cleverly launched that cringey tc23.com website, after playing 5 good games in 2011.

Fluctuation0161

What a spoilt bunch of supporters we have. You lot have been spoilt due to SAF and now being 7th isn't enough for you? We are literally above 50 other teams in England. Get a grip. Back in my day we supported ALL players and EVERY manager. We must support the manager at all costs

The usual lecture we can expect to get when complaining about this shambles of a team. Mourinho OUT ffs
Bollocks. It's the disconnect from the club to the fans. From board level down to manager and some players. Alot of it stems from having a poor man manager in charge and a money grabbing "commercially focused" board.

Edit. You got me :)

Also, football has changed. You've got a human rights abusing state running the current champions. We're run like a bank by corporate clowns.

Revaulx

Well I'm 61 and completely agree with you.

Lingard does come across as a bit of a tit, but how anyone can reckon he fails to give his all, or "feckin' hate" him (see post somewhere above), is a mystery to me.

BigRon1985

I accept I’m an old git and in my day when you scored a goal you got a firm handshake and maybe a pat on the back from a team mate. But regardless of what generation of fan you are no one would give a hoot about the silly handshakes, hair cuts, fashion line launches etc if the player in question was doing the business on the pitch regularly each week instead of when it suited him or depending who the opposition was.

What I loved about LVG and it certainly wasn’t the football was the respect he had for the club. I remember when we beat City 4-2 at home and he said during the post match interview he could only now be seen at Wings restaurant that evening because we had won.

Denis79

Pogba, Fellaini, Lukaku...I just don’t like any of the players.

Apart from Dave and Rashford, I feel no connection with any of them. Which is so different to Utd sides of the past where I really looked up to so many of the players, even the not so talented ones like Darren Fletcher who would always give us everything and score important goals.

I don’t like modern Man Utd at all and it saddens me.
It's not the 80's anymore when players were "one of us". Today they are spoilt millionares at the age of 18. It's hard to connect to that.

On top of that we're getting older aswell, they aren't idols anymore but a source of entertainment instead.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Why on earth would I feel a connection to a person I don't even know? You know what they say about meeting your heroes. The only person I feel a connection to is Mata, because he has gone out of his way to have a chat with me when I asked for an autograph.

I think Lingard goes to a local pub after our last home game every season and buys drinks for everyone there. He's a nice lad as well.

Vadim

It's not the 80's anymore when players were "one of us". Today they are spoilt millionares at the age of 18. It's hard to connect to that.

On top of that we're getting older aswell, they aren't idols anymore but a source of entertainment instead.
I agree, it’s a reflection of modern society as well.

Modern day players are dabbing, FIFA Ultimate Team playing tosspots.

My idols are Scholes, Cantona and Robson. The latter two extremely flawed characters but would sweat blood for Utd.

Pogba isn’t cut from the same cloth.

WensleyMU

It's quite funny how insecure you and a few others are.

Just enjoy the game, or not, which ever is your preference. What some old timers say or dont say should be irrelevant.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's quite funny how insecure you and a few others are.

Just enjoy the game, or not, which ever is your preference. What some old timers say or dont say should be irrelevant.
How is it insecurity? I'm just ridiculing those who say we should be happy we're still above majority of clubs in England.