I know it hurts but....

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Definitely the worst I've ever felt after a game.

1989 was bad when they dicked us 5-1 but we got that back in 1994. We'll never claw this one back and we'll never hear the end of it.

I can handle Barcelona beating us in a final. But those cnuts? At home? I will never, ever witness a more gutless performance.
Its right up there for me too. But To be honest I was far sadder being knocked out of Europe in various seasons or losing out on titles in general

Most likely because I am not local. And I imagine it hit people from Manchester harder than anyone.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Im with T V all the way. I DOESNT GET worse than tis when talking about football......it feels like someones beaten the feck out of me. I did not want to get out of bed this morning nevermind leave the house.

fecking Lille and Benfica!

decorativeed

It hurts but there have been worst periods

Anyone remember those 2 weeks in October 1996

0-5 newcastle
3-6 southampton
0-1 fenerbahce (bye bye 40 year old unbeaten record at ot)
1-2 chelsea
What is it with October? A month of freak losses.

2-6 vs Wolves in 1952/53
2-5 vs Everton in 1956/57
1-5 to Arsenal in 1961/62
2-6 vs Spurs in 1962/63
1-5 vs Spurs in 1965/66
0-5 vs Everton in 1984/85
0-5 vs Newcastle in 1996/97
3-6 vs Southampton 1996/97
0-5 vs Chelsea in 1999/00
1-6 vs City

Sally Cinnamon

Saying the Lille and Benfica defeats were harder to take than yesterday is probably the most mental thing I've ever read on here.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
fecking Lille and Benfica!
It wasnt just that. It was being knocked out in the groups of the CL and being well behind Chelsea domestically.

being used to success has me spoilt I will admit. But that is the lowest time as a Utd supporter in my adult life. Probably ever because I was only 10 in 1990

Yesterday was beyond horrible, but I look at the bigger picture. If this does begin a period of dominance by City than I will look back at yesterday and think it was one of the worst days.

But it is October and if we end up winning the league this season I will get over it

lysglimt

Scout
Yesterday was abit like the Dippers 4-1.

We deserved to lose but the score was inflated hugely by being down to ten men and the last three goals were conceded in a freak time-frame.

We did not look likely to get back into it after the sending off but we were not five goals worse than City.

One of thoese games, I'm afraid.

However, a defeat was coming and before anyone starts about the central midfield we first and foremost have to get our solidity back, the back four needs to get back to doing the basics and we have to get back into the mindset of defending as a team. Basel was a warning of what this could lead to and yesterday is the pay off for not heeding that warning.
No this was much worse - against Liverpool we were madly unlucky for the majority of the game. For 30 mins in the 2nd half we completely outplayed them and should have scored 3-4 times before they got the 1-3 goal

Name Changed

weso26
What hurts more from the players' perspective ? To lose against an opponent which was clearly better than you or to lose the match without "really" trying to fight ?
They did try to fight, but we were never going to beat City whilst chasing the game with ten men and one down.

Would it have been better to shut up shop and accept a 2-0 loss? Would that be fighting?

We fought alright, almost to the point where it was ridiculous to do so, as it was leaving us so exposed.

Sally Cinnamon

They did try to fight, but we were never going to beat City whilst chasing the game with ten men and one down.

Would it have been better to shut up shop and accept a 2-0 loss? Would that be fighting?

We fought alright, almost to the point where it was ridiculous to do so, as it was leaving us so exposed.
This is true, especially the last part. Fergie mentioned how the full backs were bombing forwards right to the end trying to get a goal and it cost us, at 4-1 we should have kind of accepted it.

When Fletcher scored I really believed we could pull it back to 3-3, there was ten minutes plus stoppage time left.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Even if we win the league this season, this result will never be forgotton.

Like I have said, it's not about trophies. This is on a different level
Absolutely.

Whatever we might win or do in the future is totally immaterial in relation to the significance of yesterday. I feel like I'm in some kind of parallel universe when I come here and see people talking about 'only 3 points', 'good wake-up call', and this, that & the other.

1 bleeding 6 in the derby, at home.
Nothing can ever make that hurt less, and nothing can erase it from history.

BaldwinLegend

Absolutely.

Whatever we might win or do in the future is totally immaterial in relation to the significance of yesterday. I feel like I'm in some kind of parallel universe when I come here and see people talking about 'only 3 points', 'good wake-up call', and this, that & the other.

1 bleeding 6 in the derby, at home.
Nothing can ever make that hurt less, and nothing can erase it from history.
'Good wake up call' is the best way to see it though, and I'm sure that's how the players will deal with it.

I think it's what this side needed, frankly. I can't wait for the reaction from the players.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
How can you say it's what this side needed?

Getting raped by city at home 6-1 is NOT what we needed.

It's like going through the motions with your missus, the sex is ok but nothing special. You both know you need to spice it up so you start thinking of ideas, but you walk in on her getting gang banged by 11 other men.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
'Good wake up call' is the best way to see it though, and I'm sure that's how the players will deal with it.

I think it's what this side needed, frankly. I can't wait for the reaction from the players.
Probably by buying another bently and asking for a fecking new contract. Useless feckers.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I simply can't take the result seriously; I can't take City seriously. The new Manchester City are the epitome of virtually all the things I dislike about the modern game - not just the crazy spending sprees but even relatively minor things like players openly disrespecting and undermining their manager.

Waltraute

She-Devil

It's the right way to react for Sir Alex and the players, absolutely.

And I'm not slating those on here who're able to take such a rational approach, far from it. I'm just stunned and amazed that they're capable. I'm just a total wreck -- I feel like a burned & pillaged village.

MUFCgal

I simply can't take the result seriously; I can't take City seriously. The new Manchester City are the epitome of virtually all the things I dislike about the modern game - not just the crazy spending sprees but even relatively minor things like players openly disrespecting and undermining their manager.
You're right, they are everything that is wrong with football today.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Even if we win the league this season, this result will never be forgotton.

Like I have said, it's not about trophies. This is on a different level
It will never be forgotten but will become largely irrelevant if we win the league.

That is the aim of the game at the start of every season after all.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
We must beat the shit out of them at their place and win the title to somehow make this defeat more acceptable.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It wasnt just that. It was being knocked out in the groups of the CL and being well behind Chelsea domestically.

being used to success has me spoilt I will admit. But that is the lowest time as a Utd supporter in my adult life. Probably ever because I was only 10 in 1990. Yesterday was beyond horrible, but I look at the bigger picture. If this does begin a period of dominance by City than I will look back at yesterday and think it was one of the worst days.

But it is October and if we end up winning the league this season I will get over it
Thats where we differ, I think anything achieved this season will be tainted for me personally and it will take a long time to get over yesterday. We are about the same age, but this is the worst Utd have made me feel since I started supporting them in 87,

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Really, we can't go on being outraged when our players lose and yet carry on with Twitter & their personal lives when they should be wearing hairshirts, whipping themselves and running 4million laps of the pitch as punishment. It's a bit crap if we become as reactionary as the press: for example, few give a damn if players have a beer to relax before a World Cup game; but if they lose...God help them - apparently then they're shameless, unpatriotic yobs who're a disgrace to their £75-plus-VAT shirts. Let's leave the idiotic moralising to the immoral media, eh?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If United had won, would it have been ok?
Thats fecking irrelevant, WE DIDNT, we have just suffered our most embarressing result in generations, a result that has left all right minded reds fecking shellshocked, the worst in SAFs entire reign, a battering by our worst enemies on our own turf and he goes out celebrating with the enemy? Not to mention we have a match on tuesday if Im not mistaken?

Agent Red

Don't really care about Rooney's birthday thing, he's likely friends with Hart and Barry via England and you can't forbid friendships between players from rival clubs.

I am quite glad Rio hasn't been on twitter though, I do like to see some indication that the players are bothered about the results and feeling the same embarrassment we are, so I'm glad we haven't had to put up with any inane chat from him since the match.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The ones who are totally gutted about the result or the ones who are pissed that some are not as gutted as they are?
I could not care less how anyone else is taking it, I dont understand how they arent gutted, but I dont care.