I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abailey123

He bagged 29 goals last year. Chelsea have just paid £100 million for Lukaku who scored 25 goals in the same league.
Ronaldo is no normal 36 year old, he’s got the physique of a 25 year old.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
When did we pass in Wilson's chips? Always quite liked him from Football Weekly days, but that article could hardly be more abu.

Not even that any points are invalid, but the sheer tone, spite and arrogance of it. Yes Ole is a fan favorite but he also beat Tuchel and Klopp just last season, two managers I'm sure Wilson envisions having his book on their shelves.

I'll never understand why the Guardian perpetually hates us. We had Jamie Jackson for years and now a couple hit pieces from Wilson.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I thought Guardian is considered decent. How is this guy allowed to write for Guardian? His last article about our win against Leeds was full of inaccuracies. This one is equally bad.

shaky

"He may have lost a battle of fine margins with Romelu Lukaku in Seville, but at 36 Ronaldo has shown in this tournament he is still an asset to Portugal and beyond." "Ronaldo was top scorer in Serie A with 29 goals; Lukaku second with 24 (Lukaku was on the pitch for 82 minutes longer; both played just under 50 hours). There is an easy assumption that Ronaldo these days spends his time hanging around the opposing box, waiting for chances to be delivered, but it is not exactly true. He actually attempted 1,086 passes to Lukaku’s 765 last season..."

Jonathan Wilson, 27th June 2021

Cristiano Ronaldo held Juventus back. Just what do Manchester United see in him?

Jonathan Wilson, one month later, after Ronaldo joins Utd.

His ABUness is plain to see.

sugar_kane

"He may have lost a battle of fine margins with Romelu Lukaku in Seville, but at 36 Ronaldo has shown in this tournament he is still an asset to Portugal and beyond." "Ronaldo was top scorer in Serie A with 29 goals; Lukaku second with 24 (Lukaku was on the pitch for 82 minutes longer; both played just under 50 hours). There is an easy assumption that Ronaldo these days spends his time hanging around the opposing box, waiting for chances to be delivered, but it is not exactly true. He actually attempted 1,086 passes to Lukaku’s 765 last season..."

Cristiano Ronaldo held Juventus back. Just what do Manchester United see in him?

Hah brilliant, point proven and well.

RedorDead21

He bagged 29 goals last year. Chelsea have just paid £100 million for Lukaku who scored 25 goals in the same league.
how many were pens? Genuine Q? And you just know he’ll want all free kicks and score very few ha

Cultured left ankle

ah, the same Wilson who penned the 'No wonder Man Utd beat Leeds - look at the wage difference' clickbait headline article.

I suppose this is part of the new journalism - it doesn't matter what you wrote as long as you get clicks. Well it just goes to show - with this and Ronnie returning - we are the biggest show in town.

'hated, adored...' indeed.

shaky

Shame he wasn't more nailed on to join City for a bit longer before joining us, just so we could see journalists praising him, only to immediately backtrack.
I was thinking that. I bet Wilson had started writing an article about how City signing Ronaldo was a great statement of intent by Pep and a sad reminder that Ole can't attract the big names.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Because their names wouldn't be discussed (like in this thread and others), if they're full of praise about United.

Coleyoscar

Shame he wasn't more nailed on to join City for a bit longer before joining us, just so we could see journalists praising him, only to immediately backtrack.
So true.

Barry Glendenning, also in the Guardian, had another incredibly balanced piece today: "An aging egomaniac in need of an audience to fawn at his feet".

On Wednesday, before United were in the picture, he was reporting City's interest in signing Ronaldo. He was described in that piece as: "the five-times Ballon d'Or winner". No mention of "egomaniac" or "fawning" when City were in the picture strangely enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So true.

Barry Glendenning, also in the Guardian, had another incredibly balanced piece today: "An aging egomaniac in need of an audience to fawn at his feet".

On Wednesday, before United were in the picture, he was reporting City's interest in signing Ronaldo. He was described in that piece as: "the five-times Ballon d'Or winner". No mention of "egomaniac" or "fawning" when City were in the picture strangely enough.
Because he's just here for the money, sponsorship and likes online innit.

Whereas at City it'd be basically playing for free, for a romantic, almost pure artistry, with football of a level that has never been seen before. Apart from with Liverpool the season after obviously.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Top quality.

Foxbatt

I have said that I don't think Ole is in the same level as Pep and Klopp in coaching but it's disrespectful to Ole to say that Ronnie is going to take all free kicks and penalties. It's Ole who decides that. Not a player. Not even Ronaldo. Pogba has won the World Cup but he doesn't take penalties or free kicks for United.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Interesting things is Poch didn't win a thing and still gets praises while Ole gets dogs abuse constantly.
Expectations and money spent places vastly different expectations on the 2 roles, IMO. Not to say Ole doesn’t get a tough ride, but that’s why not many are cut out to manage a super club because the pressure is intense.

Siorac

how many were pens? Genuine Q? And you just know he’ll want all free kicks and score very few ha
In all competitions, he scored 9 penalties last season and 14 the season before. So roughly a third of his goals were penalties.

Skeezix

That Guardian article by Wilson about Christiano Ronaldo homecoming is so bad. What has he got against Ole seriously.

Anyone it is better to be underrated by the likes of him than overrated and underperform and then the obvious mocking that would follow.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’m really surprised at how poor that article is from Jonathan Wilson considering how good many of his books and the Blizzard are.

Pirlo isn’t even mentioned or alluded to once.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

People should bombard him with this on Twitter.

Fluctuation0161

Expectations and money spent places vastly different expectations on the 2 roles, IMO. Not to say Ole doesn’t get a tough ride, but that’s why not many are cut out to manage a super club because the pressure is intense.
Thing is the media will expect instant success. Sometimes it can take time for new players to bed in. Especially younger ones, new to the league like Sancho.

Crustanoid

I’m really surprised at how poor that article is from Jonathan Wilson considering how good many of his books and the Blizzard are.
He’s the biggest ABU in football journalism. A grade A penis of a man

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He’s the biggest ABU in football journalism. A grade A penis of a man
Have you read his book on United? I think he just hates the modern super clubs and what United have become. I somewhat understand that. This era of football isn’t one for anyone but a supporter of the big teams. This feels more like a lashing out at that than a legitimate criticism of what Ronaldo can still offer.

AFC NimbleThumb

Game. Set. Match.

The state of journalism has been crap for some time, I honestly don’t understand why people bother reading those pieces anymore. . . An investigative piece, yes but clickbait reactionary articles like these, no thank you.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Well done. Wilson is an ABU cnut.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thing is the media will expect instant success. Sometimes it can take time for new players to bed in. Especially younger ones, new to the league like Sancho.
Ultimately it depends on the media outlet (agenda, bias etc) and which stories sell, basically. But yeah, I don’t particularly pay too much attention to the media.

ChaddyP

you know i always wondered whats this supposed to mean. Im 34 not genetically gifted just work hard in the gym and eat right and have similar body to ronaldo (as do most men that can keep to a proper diet and work out routine for a couple years) . probably even more muscle. Its really not difficult with the research done into sports science. I would even say ronaldo now has a better physique than himself at 25

macheda14

you know i always wondered whats this supposed to mean. Im 34 not genetically gifted just work hard in the gym and eat right and have similar body to ronaldo (as do most men that can keep to a proper diet and work out routine for a couple years) . probably even more muscle. Its really not difficult with the research done into sports science. I would even say ronaldo now has a better physique than himself at 25
No you don’t have a similar body to Ronaldo. Maybe aesthetically, but his body is built for optimum performance. It’s incredibly hard to get to and maintain a sub 10% body fat like an athlete. He is constantly training and eating unbelievably healthy with no alcohol passing his lips.

ChaddyP

No you don’t have a similar body to Ronaldo. Maybe aesthetically, but his body is built for optimum performance. It’s incredibly hard to get to and maintain a sub 10% body fat like an athlete. He is constantly training and eating unbelievably healthy with no alcohol passing his lips.

His body composition is not hard to pull off, maintaining vascularity And visible abs is also not haed given the right genetics. I won't get into body fat percentage because everyone thinks you mustbbe ten percent bf if u have visible abs.

His athletic ability I for sure don't have and most people that speak about his body always seem to be talking about it from an aesthetic perspective. And that's what my bone of contention is. He has the body of person in their thirties that looks after themselves and has a Decent diet.

The 'has a body of a 25 year old' is always weird for me to see as it's fairly easy to have a body like that past up into your 40s.

If we are talking about his athleticism, recovery rate, endurance, then sure he's absolutely a freak for his age. If that's what the sentence means then my bad but even you started to talk about BF percent which is only useful from an aesthetic point not so much body performance (unless it's too low or ridiculously high)

Crustanoid

Have you read his book on United? I think he just hates the modern super clubs and what United have become. I somewhat understand that. This era of football isn’t one for anyone but a supporter of the big teams. This feels more like a lashing out at that than a legitimate criticism of what Ronaldo can still offer.
Fair enough. I actually like a lot of the tactical stuff he wrote about but unfortunately once you realise he’s ABU, it becomes very clear that he tries to slate us at every available opportunity, with thinly veiled tactical schpeil

andy0

It's like the Glenda Slagg parody in Private Eye

The only difference is the two-faced praise and criticism aren't in the very same column.

justsomebloke

So true.

I think with Glendening that's more of a joke though. A rather good one too.

El Zoido

The fact that this thread has lit up now shows we’re on the right track. Look at all these clowns shitting themselves over us signing Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.