"I think we can win the title if we focus!" Paul Pogba Sky Sports interview

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't understand how he seems to love United, and be happy playing then Raiola comes out with the opposite, strange situation.

Hopefully United get some good momentum and keep winning.
I just found it bizzare that all the noise coming out was that United, Raiola and Pogba were all interested in extending at the end of last season but then all of sudden that's attitude vanished. I get the impression Pogba's just quite reactionary, I've a sneaky suspicion that if we are competing for silverware in May then we'd hear the same noises about him extending his contract again.

crossy1686

career ending
Does the fact that he had a serious ankle problem that required an operation come into this? There is a good chance he wasn't fully fit for any of last season.
Not to say he wasn't or anything but Gomes at Everton fully broke his ankle and came back months before Pogba could be arsed to play again. We even got quotes from Solskjaer saying Paul's "people" have advised him to have a second operation.

Canagel

Funny how Media companies like Sky Sports have dragged his name though the mud for years while fueling every kind of negative coverage and slander against him and now he's top of the league they want to jump on the bandwagon and get a interview from him. If I was him I would refused to talk to them

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand how he seems to love United, and be happy playing then Raiola comes out with the opposite, strange situation.

That "loves the club" phrase is worthless today. Players love their clubs as much as that club is good in winning stuff. Especially if you are top player and you know that you can play for some other club which win stuff. Pogba wants to win titles. If we were winning stuff all these years, he would be happy here.
Why players don't run from Bayern or Juve (even for Real and Barca which are "dream" for every player)? Because there they win stuff.

Now, this is not excuse for Pogba. He should have been much better for us. I am just saying why he wants to go.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Funny how Media companies like Sky Sports have dragged his name though the mud for years while fueling every kind of negative coverage and slander against him and now he's top of the league they want to jump on the bandwagon and get a interview from him. If I was him I would refused to talk to them
They haven't really dragged his name through the mud. He just gets a lot of criticism when he plays poorly or (sometime svia his agent) behaves like a tit. He also gets a lot of praise when he plays well, because when he plays well he's pretty good.

They always interview players who are doing well before big games so it's nothing new.

I get the impression he couldn't care less about the criticism. Souness is the only one who really goes after him, but then in the past the other Sky pundits and even presenter have literally been openly taking the piss out of him about that on live tv, so I wouldn't tar them all with that brush. Souness is just an idiot.

Withnail

Not to say he wasn't or anything but Gomes at Everton fully broke his ankle and came back months before Pogba could be arsed to play again. We even got quotes from Solskjaer saying Paul's "people" have advised him to have a second operation.
He didn't have surgery for the crack.

It was independent medical advice which seems to have been the right thing to do.

I'm not sure what you're getting at there.

Moonwalker

This will be one of those threads bumped after the game for better or worse, won't it.
Not sure how it would be bumped for worse, unless you completely disregard the whole interview and sensationalise the headline. He comes across as very guarded. Then again, it is RedCafe.

saivet

People have said stuff like this for ages on here. This whole ‘mouthpiece’ stuff is likely crap.

Simply put, it is unlikely Raiola would say that Pogba wants to leave if he didn’t want to leave. In that sense, he is likely saying things that Pogba agrees with. What that does NOT mean though, is that Pogba has instructed him to insult his employer in the media. Raiola clearly doesn’t give a shit. I’m not saying Pogba doesn’t/didn’t want to leave - but the implication that Raiola and him discussed and agreed to insult United publicly seems far fetched to me.

Like, footballers want to leave their clubs sometimes. For various reasons. Which is why there are hundreds of transfers every summer. Mkhitaryan wanted to leave Dortmund, Raiola was obviously acting on his instruction there. However, are we going to just simplistically say that because Raiola is his agent, that Mkhitaryan instructed him to throw chairs in the Dortmund office, for example? Because obviously, he couldn’t have done that without his client’s agreement?

The idea that any word uttered by Raiola was scripted by Pogba seems like a convenient tool to use to me. Again, I’m not saying his client hasn’t informed him of an intention to leave, but he may as well represent himself if he basically walks his agent through what he should do and say in order to get it done.
It's funny reading this as you really do get the impression that some people believe a footballer / agent relationship works like it does in corporate world with formal sign offs for any interview or statement. Hell, Pogba may even conduct end of year reviews for Mino's performance.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Would love to see him win the league with United.
Absolutely. Also like Ole said, Pogba had a serious injury and covid, so it took him a bit longer to recover for this season. Took some unfair criticism and right now he seems our best player Ole realizing his best position.

It's not out of question he will extend. I for one don't care as much. He's a joy to watch when on form, can do things which none of the players can and perhaps sometimes can be "just a luxury player" but he's also a player to singlehandedly win games. We alsmost forgot how he was carrying us when we played Lingard and Pereira in midfield with him.

If the right offer comes and we will sell, let him go if he wants, but should be a good offer if we win the league and nice goodbye. We should certainly use that money to buy a world class attacking midfielder though. Just pay some extra for Grealish. Villa would take 80 million I reckon if Pogba can generate some 40-50 million..

shahzy

I've always maintained that he wants to be a winner AND he wants to be a winner at Utd. However the later didn't look like happening at all in the past 3-4 seasons so he was thinking that if he wants to win something he would have to leave and do it somewhere else. Now that we have got a team that is seemingly in contention and he's got his wish of competing at the top, there's no other place apart from Utd that he would rather do it.

I always found it odd people questioning his love for utd. The guy could have gone to a Madrid team on top of the world but he decided to go back to Utd citing 'unfinished business' because he loves it in Manchester. The guy has a French Manc accent and has been here since he was a kid. Basically grew up in impressionable teenage years as a Manc. He's one of us.

Him and Rooney did the same thing. They thought they'd never win anything at utd and thought about leaving but that doesn't mean they didn't still love utd.

Whatever happens from here on I hope our fans have this perspective in mind when talking about him

AFC NimbleThumb

Personally, I think that Pogba is perfectly happy at United, always has been, and I just have a strong feeling that whenever Pogba or Raiola throw their toys about, it's just simply an orchestrated ploy to get a pay review....
For me it seems no coincidence that whenever you hear of another player, such as Bruno, getting a better deal, Pogba is unhappy and leaving blah blah blah....
He’s grown up in/around Manchester United - he will to some degree always have a fondness for his time at the club otherwise he wouldn’t have come back.

He was the player of the tournament the last time we won a European trophy & has been inconsistent since but when he’s been on song, we as a club have generally followed suit.

From my perspective, you don’t simply sell players of Pogba’s quality when their replacements are McTom who in his United career has played a worldly against Leeds then ran around a lot against PSG & DVdB who can’t even get minutes off the bench in the league at this point.

I’m a fan of the player, I hope he stays. If this is posturing for a contract I hope we get it done, if not he did more in his first season for the club than some of the current Caf faves that struggle to pass over 10 yards.

@AFC NimbleThumb

1. Has Raiola said that Pogba wants to leave? Yes.

2. Does this 100% prove that Pogba wants to leave? No, but it's so extremely unlikely that we can count it as a fact. He may have changed his mind, but no such statement has come out. That is the problem with playing the PR game. You've put yourself in a position where your last public statement is the only thing that matters.

3. Does this prove 100% prove that Pogba is OK with Raiola going public? No, but again: extremely unlikely.

This is all there is to it for me. I couldn't care less whether or not Pogba is OK with Raiola's tone or voice or whatever the feck fans are sensitive over these days. Raiola could have been a saint for all I care. It doesn't change anything.

I don't want us to keep players that want to leave. It's small time and in the long run I believe it can be detrimental for the dressing room. And I don't like players who are OK with their agent going public like Raiola did. This is ultimately just the cherry on top, though.

Get it now?
Thanks for the points but we’re transitioning from the initial subject.

You admitted you can’t actually know if he wants to leave nor whether he is using his agent as a mouthpiece which was exactly what I took exception to.

We’ve kept players that ‘want to leave’ previously & that being said, you can’t definitively say he wants to go anyway.

This being a United forum it is understandable that playing for the club would be seen as the pinnacle by its forum members but it’s not a radical thought that not every player that plays for the club sees it as their sole club footballing ambition. What is small time is aligning a fans perspective with those of what are simply highly paid employees; some of those employees gain a kinship for the club whereas others do not - Pogba, returned to the club & has spent the vast majority of his footballing life here; to assume he doesn’t hold the club in high regard would be a rather negative perspective.

If a player actively ‘downs tools’ then yes, get rid & there have been plenty of examples of this in world football but Pogba isn’t one of those; he returned to the club as the marquee signing of a new generation & his performances on the pitch has been every bit as mediocre as the management of the club around him.

He’s flirted with Madrid in the media [countless United players have complimented others clubs] but has always been complimentary of the Manchester United and has multiple articles of praise from teammates [you know those that actually know him]; was being the initial person to help Bruno Fernandes find accommodation detrimental to the club?

They’re grown men. Raiola is a mouthy agent with a history of speaking out in public about his clients. For all we know Pogba has chastised him privately, he may also be ok with the comments but I’m ‘small time’ enough to know I don’t know either way so best to go off his on pitch performances.

I've always maintained that he wants to be a winner AND he wants to be a winner at Utd. However the later didn't look like happening at all in the past 3-4 seasons so he was thinking that if he wants to win something he would have to leave and do it somewhere else. Now that we have got a team that is seemingly in contention and he's got his wish of competing at the top, there's no other place apart from Utd that he would rather do it.

I always found it odd people questioning his love for utd. The guy could have gone to a Madrid team on top of the world but he decided to go back to Utd citing 'unfinished business' because he loves it in Manchester. The guy has a French Manc accent and has been here since he was a kid. Basically grew up in impressionable teenage years as a Manc. He's one of us.

Him and Rooney did the same thing. They thought they'd never win anything at utd and thought about leaving but that doesn't mean they didn't still love utd.

Whatever happens from here on I hope our fans have this perspective in mind when talking about him
This.

Since he signed fans have been so worried about losing him it’s as if they don’t want to believe he may actually have an affinity for the club but also quite fancy playing elsewhere at some point also.

People act as if his inconsistent form has come in a silo & that everything around him was perfect.

Just smacks of people getting their punches in early so they can say, “I told you so” if he leaves.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Do you not just mean you'd love to see United win the league?
It's kind of the same thing, but it would be a great redemption story on a personal level for Pogba if he was a part of the team that did it, and it would finish his business with the club that he first came back for. To the general fan, it may not matter, but personally I'd prefer to see it happen with Pogba in the team (mainly because I don't think it can happen as presently constructed without him).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's one of those that needs to focus the most. He can lack it in games even when he plays well, nevermind us never having seen a long run of form from him yet.

Hopefully this is the time. The sniff of a PL trophy must help.

reddev3

It's called ambition, say what you want about Pogba but he was promised the world just like the rest of us with Eddy spouting about our riches and Mourinho coming in to be our saviour but we have been pretty shit for the whole 4/5 years he's been here. He's probably feeling like he is wasting his career, sometimes you have to leave places you love for bigger and better things.

When we were doing decent with Zlatan here and won the Europa he was over the moon but unfortunately that didn't amount to much and we were horrendous almost straight after.

We do seem to finally be on the right path in ALL aspects from mentality, transfers, performances and results and he is obviously starting to get excited again. I think he stays even if don't win anything as long as we keep up something close to our recent form and push everybody close in the final three comps (title challenge and two semi/finals).

Hopefully the game goes well because we have been a laughing stock for so long I can't even remember the last time we were taken seriously, we're in good place right now and need to stay there.

Edit: we also know he's ambitious and backs him self as he left his home country as a teen to play for one of the big clubs and then left arguably the biggest club in the world as Teenager to get first team football at another top club in Juve .

Last edited:

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Wish we wouldn't start talking like this publicly.

We're not even at the halfway point of the season. We have Liverpool to play twice. We have City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs to play away. Wolves and Villa to play away.

I can understand the fans getting giddy but you don't want players feeling that way.
Did you even watch the interview? He was asked if it's possible if United can win the title.. and he said it is...

I don't see how he's in the wrong here, what was he supposed to say? No - we have no chance?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You’ve just repeated what you said. I’ve asked whether, realistically, anyone else would be expected to do so in such circumstances.

I’ll also repeat that, Pogba and Raiola are grown men. Raiola has had his time to speak in his own interviews, and Pogba has spoken in his own. If you require public statement to show his views, you could easily look at what he HAS said when he’s spoken himself, rather what he apparently hasn’t. He has spoken for himself on a few occasions about his views for United. Why would he now be obligated to speak for his agent too? Raiola has said his views, and when asked, Pogba has said his own. And they are not the same. Which should be all you need. Why would anyone want or need to say ‘Paul, your agent said that top players shouldn’t come to United. Do YOU think top players shouldn’t come to United?’. It’s fecking ridiculous. He has been asked about his future, and has generally been diplomatic. But he is jot required to publicly comment on Raiola’s comments on anything other than his future. Beyond ‘are you happy Paul?’ - why on Earth would he be expected to provide comment on anything else Mino says? Mino can speak for himself.
How is it not realistic that an employer makes a statement to renounce what their employee said when they do not agree with it and it could bring about trouble for them?

See how Arsenal reacted when Ozil critisiced China, there's plenty more examples out there especially with the Capitol building incident where plenty of businesses has fired employees who took part in it.

And do you really think Mino is shitting on the club just because he wants to? His main objective is to earn more money and the only link with United and him now is Pogba. If he had no clients with us, he wouldn't even wade into the club's situation.

Shimo

Not this again. First stop comparing injuries because they are 2 different things and on top of that people heal very differently. Valencia's break was horrific but, came back quite quickly and didn't have constant injuries after. Shaw broke his leg and needed a lot more time.

Also, you are trying to twist Ole's words as though that was a negative when in that same presser or whatever it was, he emphasized that having your own people, as in top of their line in their specific field, that you trust is something everyone does and even he did himself. Plus going under the knife, right before the Euros (this was before Covid was really a factor) just not to play would be really stupid, think any player would choose to get cut into in the ankle area to just not play when it could lead to god knows what situation down the road? Not to mention that not established surgeon would ever do that just because.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Pogba thrives when he isn’t the only and main creative outlet, especially with Bruno in the team. United’s recent spate of good performances are more of a team effort than previous good-runs post Fergie. Particularly when Bruno hasn’t been at his ultimate best in recent matches.

MDFC Manager

It's funny reading this as you really do get the impression that some people believe a footballer / agent relationship works like it does in corporate world with formal sign offs for any interview or statement. Hell, Pogba may even conduct end of year reviews for Mino's performance.
So true! Frankly it's some of the most bizarre crap I read on here.

MDFC Manager

Naivety is a lack of judgement. It is a lack of judgement to begin talking about the title when we are only halfway through.
You can bet that if he'd answered that question any differently, there would still be people questioning and criticising him for whatever other answer he'd put up.

"Oh he doesn't even believe we can win the league, no wonder he wants out. Sell him while he's still performing"

fezzerUTD

Difficult to listen to an inconsistent player talking about we need to be consistent. Good player on his day, but wanting to leave for 3+ years he isn't going to play his best. With Pogba in the side it means less chances for DvB, leaving DvB to question his decision to move to us in the first place, and looking to leave already.

Gasolin

All he needs to do is say his agent's views of the club situation doesn't reflect his own.

It's as simple as that.

The fact that Rialo and his brother has gone public for years about Pogba's situation without any rebuttal from him makes it look like he's agreeing with them, especially when he has gone public in his desire to leave the club which supports their statements that the club is mishandling his situation.
If Pogba somewhere in his mind is angling for an extension, that would weaken his negotiating position.
I think there has been a simple discussion with Ole. What does Pogba need to get a new contract?
He needs to make the team win.
How? By being committed, serious, mature and leading this young team to a difficult title challenge that was not expected to be until next year at the earliest.

We shouldn't be winning this year, it wasn't the plan. If it happens, credit should go to Pogba for contributing to it.
And if he does, then a new contract might be conceivable from an United perspective.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘Paul Pogba sparks fury amongst United fans in controversial interview where he speaks of squad needing to focus in order to win PL title’

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
About time he said the right thing. That’s more like it, Paul!

The Red Thinker

Its obvious he wants to win things, he thought we were not good enough therefore was unhappy. Now as soon as it looks like we might, he starts trying way harder.
This is why even if Pogba does win us the title, I will never forgive him for all the shite his agent put us through. Manchester United is a legacy club and his legacy will always be that of a fair weather superstar. Despite being at the club for 4 years he couldn’t figure out a way to lead his team through his skill. It took Bruno Fernandes months to achieve the same and raise the standards of the club back to where it was. Pogba will be a but a footnote while Bruno will be title and chapter.

Walters_19_MuFc

Actions speak louder than words and since that agent of his has opened his mouth, Pogba has let his football do the talking.

Be a tough task, but as was said, if we focus and continue to work hard as a team, then I don't see why we can't win the title. Might be two or three players away but anything is possible.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
When's he said the wrong thing? Other than those cnut of an agent and those French interviews we never actually get to see.
I'm all for supporting Pogba and wanting the best for the club but let's not forget that Pogba is a guilty party in this too.

Pogba told a news conference on Thursday at France’s training camp, the day after their 7-1 friendly win over Ukraine. “Of course, every footballer would love to play for Real Madrid and would dream about that. It’s a dream of mine, so why not one day?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-of-playing-for-real-madrid-manchester-united

Greck

Seems like he too jumped on our title bandwagon once it looked like we were top of the league

Rolaholic

‘Paul Pogba sparks fury amongst United fans in controversial interview where he speaks of squad needing to focus in order to win PL title’
:lol: :lol:

Thread is a mess, how dare a United player believe we're capable of winning things. Arrogant prick, get rid