"I'd rather be out of Europe completely to concentrate on the league"

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It would make some sense if we were chasing some glory in the PL. We’re on the fringes of a top 3 race ffs.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Part of the reason is ETH refused to rotate. We have won a trophy but its one most of our peers play the reserve/ youth sides in. I doubt he will rotate more now.
Wouldn't expect him to rotate to be honest. As frustrating as some of his calls have been, namely in the transfer market, that doesn't cover up the pitfalls of this squad. It's threadbare in quality and - due to injuries - quantity right now.

At least one game a week is less of a strain on those who do play. Just need to get through the Xmas period first unscathed.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Top 5 now, isn't it? So top 5 or 9th? Not sure how the EL places are allocated for next season.
Depends on the country coefficient the PL gets this season in Europe. It will only be top 5 if the PL is one of the best two leagues (which it usually is), but currently it's only third, so has to catch up. United and Newcastle completely exiting Europe doesn't help that.

matsdf

I think the Europa League is a massive waste of time, so I'm fine with us finishing 4th (instead of 3rd). We're fecking chasing Aston Villa and Tottenham, of course we can finish top four again.

Wing Attack Plan R

I’d rather we just simmed the remaining matches until the end of the January transfer window. Then we can see if we got anyone in who can relieve the pain, or shipped anyone out who was stinking up the joint. Maybe just sim until summer.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I am happy with not being in europe,
Im sorry but we need to see what this manager can do without the constant travel and injury excuses , we are so bad we need to strip things back to basics and see how these players are with week in week out coaching and training.

Being in the champions league or europa league is simply an exercise in collecting cash for FFP and I dont care about that, I want to see the manager coach and what their team can come up with week on week without having to go to the otherside of europe.

Ill take my mid weeks back and ill expect a huge uptick in week on week performances.

lilcurt

crazy to think winning Europa is easier than getting top 4. is it because Sevilla aren't in it ?
We can't be consistent, the league requires consistency and the need to play 6-7 teams that are better than us twice... In Europa, you may have 3 or 4 tough games to navigate.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We can't be consistent, the league requires consistency and the need to play 6-7 teams that are better than us twice... In Europa, you may have 3 or 4 tough games to navigate.
But United have not won a single tough game all season. Makes it sound highly unlikely that they could do that in the EL.

tomaldinho1

Is it really so or more wishful thinking.
Just look at Chelsea. Many here counted them to the title favorites due to having no international games. Worked out great for them, didn't it?

Your team is dysfunctional and no training can replace competitive matches. In these less attractive European games ETH would also get a clear picture on who he can really count on and who is only showing the necessary determination and passion in the big matches.
It was only a couple of weeks ago everyone was saying how great football Chelsea were playing but they just couldn’t score, so not sure that’s the best point.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
For a club with our history, we need to be ambitious. That phrase is a small club's cliché.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Shame we’re not in it but now Ten Hag has tons of time on the training pitch with the squad which he’s never had much of with the relentlessness of last season and injury problems this season. If he can’t get a tune out of them between now and the end of the season then I will reassess my stance on the manager.

Chumpsbechumps

I’d prefer to be in it, by the time Europe starts back we should have most our squad fit. We will also be bored mid week.

Ironically the best time not to be in Europe wojkd of been this half of the season.

matsdf

For a club with our history, we need to be ambitious. That phrase is a small club's cliché.
It is a small clubs mentality, but sometimes you have to be pragmatic... When you haven't won either tPL/CL in 10 years, you can't just continue thinking "We should be the best club in the world".

Chumpsbechumps

We have owners with small time on field ambition. Once we qualify for CL they don’t give a flying f**k if the team never wins another trophy. That’s at the heart of us not seeing our team anywhere nesr anything

Borussia Teeth

I like watching us play (despite being shit) so I would definitely prefer us to have the extra televised games.

Ollie Derbyshire

We should just tank this season as well to miss out on any European football, I don’t want us limping into next years conference league.

Start planning for next season now by picking the players in there actual natural positions who he has in mind to be still here next year and be key players for us. Get them playing as a team for once and work towards being able to possibly challenge for the title next year or at least make a go of it so we see some improvement.

Then in 2025/26 we can hopefully be in a position of having a team who can play good football and be consistently matching the best teams work rates and cohesiveness.

A bit like they do in the NFL when a franchise is struggling to start the rebuild or F1 so they can aim for a future year of being competitive.

lilcurt

But United have not won a single tough game all season. Makes it sound highly unlikely that they could do that in the EL.
Neither a likely, but from where we are now and our record against the big teams there is 0% chance we finish top 4.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We should just tank this season as well to miss out on any European football, I don’t want us limping into next years conference league.

Start planning for next season now by picking the players in there actual natural positions who he has in mind to be still here next year and be key players for us. Get them playing as a team for once and work towards being able to possibly challenge for the title next year or at least make a go of it so we see some improvement.

Then in 2025/26 we can hopefully be in a position of having a team who can play good football and be consistently matching the best teams work rates and cohesiveness.

A bit like they do in the NFL when a franchise is struggling to start the rebuild or F1 so they can aim for a future year of being competitive.
Well we should never deliberately tank a season but I wouldn’t hate seeing something like:

Onana
AWB Varane* Martinez Shaw
Casemiro* Mainoo
Antony/Amad Bruno/Mount Garnacho/Rashford
Højlund​

* Ideally replaced soon

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It is a small clubs mentality, but sometimes you have to be pragmatic... When you haven't won either tPL/CL in 10 years, you can't just continue thinking "We should be the best club in the world".
Europa League is probably the best chance for us to qualify to UCL this season. I'm not saying we should be arrogant, but we must continue to keep our standards high. Having said that, when I started follow United in the late 80s, it took me 5 to 6 seasons until we finally got hands on the league title silver, so I also understand the other part. But the club evolved.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We have owners with small time on field ambition. Once we qualify for CL they don’t give a flying f**k if the team never wins another trophy. That’s at the heart of us not seeing our team anywhere nesr anything
Champions League almost guarantees that season money will go even, but you have to go further the groups stage to reach those amounts, which didn't happen this season. And the best chance of getting to next season UCL was through Europa League IMO. We are really needing a massive turnover this season. Injuries alone cannot explain such terrible perfrmances.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1 game a week will be a bit shit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The funny thing it that we'd concentrate on the league only to set the target of finishing top 4 so we can....

... play in Europe again next year.
Play in the Champions League next year. It’s also important for signing new players and progressing generally.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I am happy with not being in europe,
Im sorry but we need to see what this manager can do without the constant travel and injury excuses , we are so bad we need to strip things back to basics and see how these players are with week in week out coaching and training.

Being in the champions league or europa league is simply an exercise in collecting cash for FFP and I dont care about that, I want to see the manager coach and what their team can come up with week on week without having to go to the otherside of europe.

Ill take my mid weeks back and ill expect a huge uptick in week on week performances.
Exactly.

Pes6Monster

Not quite, for me.

I would have preferred the EL to try some reserves and young player. I'd have been able to get a ticket, too. Plus it could have helped qualify for CL next season. I have a feeling EtH will be clipped and replaced by Ratcliffe if we fail top four.

Knowing that manky scarecrow, United would wind up with Roy Hodgson, Frank Lampard, Graham Potter or Boris Farage in charge, possibly all four.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fun part is that our complete exit from Europe will damage our hopes for CL next year. Because we will not score points for England which are needed to get that extra CL spot. Germany and Italy are in front now.

Ollie Derbyshire

Well we should never deliberately tank a season but I wouldn’t hate seeing something like:

Onana
AWB Varane* Martinez Shaw
Casemiro* Mainoo
Antony/Amad Bruno/Mount Garnacho/Rashford
Højlund​

* Ideally replaced soon
I don’t like it either but it’s the only way to set us up for the future otherwise I just see this constant cycle of rubbish going on and on.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The bonus of no European football is hopefully a reduction in injuries, less travel for the players, so maybe better league football. It also means less United to watch which is a blessing this season.

Would be hilarious if we managed to get our shit in one sock and string enough results to finish 5th (I’ve had a sherry, I know) and England don’t get the extra CL space because of our poor group stage.
We won't magically start playing better because we play one game a week. We were crap at the start of the season playing one game a week with the same system at full strength, so why would it be different now?

Ace Krampus

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather see Manchester United play more games, win more trophies and have more opportunities to play in the CL. This is still Manchester United, isn't it? Are we Everton or Fulham now? Scared of Qarabag and Rennes? Scared of fatigue? Give me a break.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather see Manchester United play more games, win more trophies and have more opportunities to play in the CL. This is still Manchester United, isn't it? Are we Everton or Fulham now? Scared of Qarabag and Rennes? Scared of fatigue? Give me a break.
You assume we are anywhere near the position to do those things.

Things have changed.

Mwooyo

As I see it, out of Europe is the best test for Ten Hag or any other manager (if we change managers). No excuses about having no time on the training pitch...ability to focus on the top 4 and the FA Cup. But more than that...people who are disappointed are kind of delusional...we are NOT good enough to even win the Europa League. We are playing so badly, that we need a season where we get rid of players who should not be here (martial, mctominay, Sancho, etc) and just focus on playing well every week without worrying about Europe. I think that we are soo bad even at academy levels...they too got hammered in the youth league. Those are actual RED flags and alarm bells should be ringing throughout the club. If Bayern or Real Madrid got eliminated like manutd, they would be a top-to-bottom investigation and then reshuffle. We have still failed to confirm a 25% buy-in by Ineos. Even something so straightforward is probably going to reach summer next year. We are soo bad at all levels of football, it is not a joke...we deserve to be out of Europe

Ghostrider318

The only reason Im happy we are not in the EL is that there are now fewer games to watch

Redfrog

Go all out for the league.

Only 10 points off the top with 22 games left.

Stranger things have happened.
A bad team playing bad football and being 10 points from the top after 16 games with a negative goal difference winning the league ?
That never happened and won’t happen anytime soon.

Redfrog

I think the Europa League is a massive waste of time, so I'm fine with us finishing 4th (instead of 3rd). We're fecking chasing Aston Villa and Tottenham, of course we can finish top four again.
But why ? Being trashed by the likes of Galatasaray at home or Copenhag ?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Unless something changes in January, W
We're going to finish lower than our current position not higher