Ideas For Fantasy Draft Match Threads (New Ways Of Playing Out Matches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If you guys want, I could run the Euro draft. In theory it would be nice to wait until next year and do it as a build-up to the Euro 2016 similar to how we had the World Cup draft a few months prior to the World Cup in Brazil, but then, who cares about that.

I would start it after the Easter holidays though, in case someone is away on vacation, but wants to play. I also need a few days to sort out the details and add a few criteria to make it more interesting. I don't mind if someone else wants to run a different draft of course, just go ahead.

/edit:

The biggest question would probably be if we include the Central European International Cup. It was the predecessor of the UEFA Euro and would include many interesting players/teams from the 30's to 50's. Then the golden generations of Austria and Hungary and the fantastic pre-WWII Italian players would also be available along with a few more great nationalteams and I for one would enjoy to learn more about those players.

The player pool only from 1960 onwards might be a bit small for a 16 manager draft, because only 4 teams played in the Euros up until 1980, and then only 8 teams up until 1996. It's definitely significantly smaller than what we had in the World Cup draft.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

If you guys want, I could run the Euro draft. In theory it would be nice to wait until next year and do it as a build-up to the Euro 2016 similar to how we had the World Cup draft a few months prior to the World Cup in Brazil, but then, who cares about that.

I would start it after the Easter holidays though, in case someone is away on vacation, but wants to play. I also need a few days to sort out the details and add a few criteria to make it more interesting. I don't mind if someone else wants to run a different draft of course, just go ahead.

/edit:

The biggest question would probably be if we include the Central European International Cup. It was the predecessor of the UEFA Euro and would include many interesting players/teams from the 30's to 50's. Then the golden generations of Austria and Hungary and the fantastic pre-WWII Italian players would also be available along with a few more great nationalteams and I for one would enjoy to learn more about those players.

The player pool only from 1960 onwards might be a bit small for a 16 manager draft, because only 4 teams played in the Euros up until 1980, and then only 8 teams up until 1996. It's definitely significantly smaller than what we had in the World Cup draft.
Would be a very good draft.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The Euro draft seems a good call. I also liked the idea someone suggested of picking a number of main players and then having to pick players who they never, ever played with. It would be a way of removing proven partnerships which will make it much more a fantasy draft.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Balu I'm in if you do the Euro draft.

And, yes - include the old format. That would make the pool big enough - and it would open up for several greats (and others) who have rarely, if ever, been given the time of day in these drafts.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd probably prefer the Euro draft as a snake draft by the way. I don't like auction drafts and a sheep draft is out of the question, because I want the draft to reflect the history of the competition. Therefore we can't have the best performers blocked from the draft (which would be a huge part of the sheep thing). The same way it would have sucked if Pele and Maradona wouldn't have played a major role in the World Cup draft.

I have a few ideas regarding criteria though. Maybe similar to @Edgar Allan Pillow 's reality draft, we could have rounds with a specific criterion, but in a snake draft form. It might also be interesting to have everyone submit a top player and a legacy player (key player for a team without being an actual great) and then have those two lists randomised and assigned to the teams as a 3rd and 6th pick. That way the draft order in the beginning would have a different kind of impact as it normally has in the snake format.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd probably prefer the Euro draft as a snake draft by the way.
I agree. Ideally, the British/Irish one should've been a snake draft too, IMO. There will be obscure and obscure-ish players about who a good researcher may benefit from digging up - and that benefit goes out the window with the auction format.

Annahnomoss

I'd probably prefer the Euro draft as a snake draft by the way. I don't like auction drafts and a sheep draft is out of the question, because I want the draft to reflect the history of the competition. Therefore we can't have the best performers blocked from the draft (which would be a huge part of the sheep thing). The same way it would have sucked if Pele and Maradona wouldn't have played a major role in the World Cup draft.

I have a few ideas regarding criteria though. Maybe similar to @Edgar Allan Pillow 's reality draft, we could have rounds with a specific criterion, but in a snake draft form. It might also be interesting to have everyone submit a top player and a legacy player (key player for a team without being an actual great) and then have those two lists randomised and assigned to the teams as a 3rd and 6th pick. That way the draft order in the beginning would have a different kind of impact as it normally has in the snake format.
If you need an assistant admin I could help out if you want.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It might also be interesting to have everyone submit a top player and a legacy player (key player for a team without being an actual great) and then have those two lists randomised and assigned to the teams as a 3rd and 6th pick. That way the draft order in the beginning would have a different kind of impact as it normally has in the snake format.
Agree it should be a snake draft as IMO that's the best format for these things. Not a fan of the random allocation part though. I personally prefer it when managers pick their own players and try to build a side that way, never been a fan of random events in these things but maybe that's just me.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Agree it should be a snake draft as IMO that's the best format for these things. Not a fan of the random allocation part though. I personally prefer it when managers pick their own players and try to build a side that way, never been a fan of random events in these things but maybe that's just me.
Yeah, I agree with that. I definitely won't include things like injuries or whatever crazy stuff Edgar and Skizzo came up with in their evil minds. I already kicked that random top player list thing out of my plans again actually, because I realised that it could further destroy the balance.

I will add some mean restrictions though, similar to the ones in the World Cup draft. Everyone has to play at least 3 pre-1960 players and I might add a limit for players from the same country as well.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah, I agree with that. I definitely won't include things like injuries or whatever crazy stuff Edgar and Skizzo came up with in their evil minds. I already kicked that random top player list thing out of my plans again actually, because I realised that it could further destroy the balance.

I will add some mean restrictions though, similar to the ones in the World Cup draft. Everyone has to play at least 3 pre-1960 players and I might add a limit for players from the same country as well.
Sounds awesome.

Work has cleared up somewhat so hopefully I'll have time to play, might try and team up.

Annahnomoss

Why aren't you playing?
Lacking inspiration. There has been so many great in depth and quality attempts at breaking down and improving all the greatest sides. We've seen Antohan with the Mighty Magyars, Balu with Rinus Michels, Harms with Juventus etc etc etc etc.

If we find some untouched grounds some time or I start watching some old team who I think would be great for a draft theme then I'll jump in again!

Annahnomoss

If you don't want to play, you got the job. But a snake draft isn't really that big of a problem.
Yeah I doubt there will be much to do. You'll decide everything and I'll offer a wall to bounce ideas on. German efficiency and work rate with Swedish creativity, they'll end up with too few pieces to complete the team and the wrong tools.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah I doubt there will be much to do. You'll decide everything and I'll offer a wall to bounce ideas on. German efficiency and work rate with Swedish creativity, they'll end up with too few pieces to complete the team and the wrong tools.
I have visions of some kind of IKEA store run by...no, forget it.

National stereotypes. Never a good starting point for jokes.

I prefer to look at Balu not so much as a German, but as an easy-going Indian bear - with a dark side. You - you're more like Brolin, I imagine. A flawed genius of some sort.

Skizzo

I'd be in. Even after that cheap dig :p

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I prefer to look at Balu not so much as a German, but as an easy-going Indian bear - with a dark side.
Good choice. I can't sing though, don't think of me as an easy-going Indian bear with a dark side who can sing. That's clearly a fantasy version of me. I blame good old Walt Disney for that misconception.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's not true at all. The opposite is true IMO.
Yeah, it's hard to see how any actual skills would make you deal with perfectly random events better than your peers. Psychologically, possibly - in the sense that you don't go into meltdown when randomness destroys your plots. That's tenuous at best, though - not least since it's all a bit of a laugh to begin with.

Possibly in the sense that a truly brilliant draft manager will be able to devise a drafting strategy which takes into account the likely nature of the randomness involved - meaning that he'll have better backup options than an average sod who just jogs along with no particular strategy of that sort in mind.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Good choice. I can't sing though, don't think of me as an easy-going Indian bear with a dark side who can sing. That's clearly a fantasy version of me. I blame good old Walt Disney for that misconception.
But you can dance, right? And you do like bananas? Don't shatter all my fantasies here.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
But you can dance, right? And you do like bananas? Don't shatter all my fantasies here.
I'm a fantastic dancer and I love fruit. Bananas aren't my favourites though, but I kinda like them, yes.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
So what we have so far:

Theme: Euro draft. All players shall be judged only on their performances at the tournaments.

Format: Snake draft without curveballs. 16 managers, 8 hour deadline for the picks.

Playerpool: Every player, who featured in a game at the Central European International Cup (the amateur competitons don't count) or the UEFA European championships (only the tournaments, not the qualifications - 4 teams until 1976, then 8 teams until 1992 and 16 teams from 1996 to 2012) is eligible.

Restrictions:
1. Every side (the XI players on the virtual pitch, not the squad) has to include at least 3 players eligible through the Central European International Cup.
2. No side (the XI players on the virtual pitch, not the squad) can field more than two players from one nation. I shamelessly use @antohan 's excellent definition from the alltime draft here:
  • A Nation is defined as one that has or has had a national team participating in FIFA competitions (e.g. no Catalunya).
  • If a player has played for two NTs, the NT of birth applies (e.g. Di Stefano is Argentinian).
  • If a player played for a multi-nation NT (e.g. Yugoslavia), their NT is defined as that of their city of birth. This is so that there is a greater pool of nations to pick from. No debate on ethnicity or heritage will be entertained. It's a football draft, not a politics debate.
Spirit of the theme: Don't get too creative when it comes to the players and use them in the roles they played during the Euro tournaments. E.g. Lahm hasn't played in midfield at a Euro like he did at the last World Cup, so don't use him as a midfielder, even if it's convenient for your team. I don't want to make threats and have no clue how to punish a manager, who attempts to do something like that. Just don't do it and we won't have any drama.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Spirit of the theme: Don't get too creative when it comes to the players and use them in the roles they played during the Euro tournaments. E.g. Lahm hasn't played in midfield at a Euro like he did at the last World Cup, so don't use him as a midfielder, even if it's convenient for your team. I don't want to make threats and have no clue how to punish a manager, who attempts to do something like that. Just don't do it and we won't have any drama.
I think you should make this a rule.

"A player can only be played in a position he has played for at least one full match (90 mins) in the draft criteria tournaments"

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Participants so far:

1. Chesterlestreet
2. Theon
3. Skizzo
4. Joga Bonito
5. The Stain
6. Edgar Allan Pillow
7. Šjor Bepo

9 spots open. The draft will start after the Easter holidays. Let's say Wednesday, April 8th.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Better fecking watch out, the newb train is approaching :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Maybe I should start a new thread?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
:lol: Attack of the newbies!
Who are these people? They could be maniacs for all we know. Agents from another forum, sent to undermine and ultimately destroy our way of life. They could all be fake accounts created by anto too...I wouldn't put that past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.