If Mourinho's authority and ideology were given more backing, would we be challenging?

Kag

The same journalists who invent transfer rumors to get clicks?
Well, that depends entirely on what journalist you’re referring to. My wider point, really, is that a footballer, who still plays for a club having been linked heavily (by well respected reporters) away from it, will always come back out to the press to reassure supporters that they rejected advances all along. It’s PR 101.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He came second with the third/ fourth best team. Our squad is in very bad shape.
Yet Mourinho said himself it was his team and they were equipped to win the title.

Some perspective would also be nice. He finished 2nd place 19 points off of the leaders with a horrible showing in the CL.

Kag

Postage.

The naivety of some on here that actually believe Mou wanted Sanchez. Or Fred. Unbelievable. Must be why he was reluctant to play them. Duh... Woodward written all over it. The same clown that wouldn’t sign Fellaini for Moyes but relented and paid ott for him after he finally relented having failed to sign Alcantara, Kroos and probably Glen Hoddle. Mou wasn’t backed. Wasn’t able to dump shit players who downed tools. Decided two can play that game. Utter shambles of a club. Moyes, LVG and Mou all experienced managers overruled by this idiot. Ole is next. We could have Pep next, but he would have to find a place in the team for Oxlade Chamberlain if that was Woodward’s whim. We’re not even Arsenal under this ownership - more like Everton but still It’s all Mourinho ‘s fault for winning three trophies and finishing 2nd with a shit team.
Somewhere, deep in a cave, Tupac is trying to reassign Michael Jackson’s nose to his face, while John Lennon is having his bullet removed from his chest by Josef Mengele.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Well, that depends entirely on what journalist you’re referring to. My wider point, really, is that a footballer, who still plays for a club having been linked heavily (by well respected reporters) away from it, will always come back out to the press to reassure supporters that they rejected advances all along. It’s PR 101.
And United could also be spreading false stories that Inter didn't want to do the deal to save face b/c they were rejected.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Postage.

The naivety of some on here that actually believe Mou wanted Sanchez. Or Fred. Unbelievable. Must be why he was reluctant to play them. Duh... Woodward written all over it. The same clown that wouldn’t sign Fellaini for Moyes but relented and paid ott for him after he finally relented having failed to sign Alcantara, Kroos and probably Glen Hoddle. Mou wasn’t backed. Wasn’t able to dump shit players who downed tools. Decided two can play that game. Utter shambles of a club. Moyes, LVG and Mou all experienced managers overruled by this idiot. Ole is next. We could have Pep next, but he would have to find a place in the team for Oxlade Chamberlain if that was Woodward’s whim. We’re not even Arsenal under this ownership - more like Everton but still It’s all Mourinho ‘s fault for winning three trophies and finishing 2nd with a shit team.
This can't be a serious post.

Kag

And United could also be spreading false stories that Inter didn't want to do the deal to save face b/c they were rejected.
Indeed. But I’m choosing to view the club through a prism of realism, instead of one of doom-mongering. I think it’s very possible (and logical, foremostly) we decided that buying a 29 year old Perisic for over £40 million to be extreme.

My overarching point is that Mourinho’s transfer business was bad, and that with any more input we’d have an even bigger mess on our hands.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Indeed. But I’m choosing to view the club through a prism of realism, instead of one of doom-mongering. I think it’s very possible (and logical, foremostly) we decided that buying a 29 year old Perisic for over £40 million to be extreme.

My overarching point is that Mourinho’s transfer business was bad, and that with any more input we’d have an even bigger mess on our hands.
You are not being realist though, players reject teams all the time and it's not a big deal, so acknowledging it has very little to do with doom-mongering. Believing journalists who aren't part of the transfer and routinely make up things is just weird. It's a lot more realist and logical, to conclude that we tried to sign a 29 years old player which is something that we did with Matic and Sanchez for amounts of money that were comparable to the 40m that you mentioned. And it is also totally compatible with your point.

Kag

You are not being realist though, players reject teams all the time and it's not a big deal, so acknowledging it has very little to do with doom-mongering. Believing journalists who aren't part of the transfer and routinely make up things is just weird. It's a lot more realist and logical, to conclude that we tried to sign a 29 years old player which is something that we did with Matic and Sanchez for amounts of money that were comparable to the 40m that you mentioned. And it is also totally compatible with your point.
I’m choosing to believe it is credible that the club was interested in Ivan Perisic and opted not to pursue it any further because the quoted price was too high, yes. That is believable.

flappyjay

Postage.

Jose said he won't be signing any forward players in the summer after getting Sanchez. Those are the words of a man who thought Sanchez would elevate his team. Not somebody who was forced on him

Keefy18

They simply bought the best player at the given time. Not buying the player they think will come good in 5 years.
Yep, flavor of the month more often then not.

It shouldn't be a surprise as Jose's head of scouting walked 1 year into the job.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You're wasting your time there mate. I had the exact same discussion a few weeks back - it's like debating with a brick wall.
Except you were just making a ton of excuses for Mourinho and this happened to be one of them. Then you rage quit the "discussion" when you realized you didn't know the definition of bias :nono:

Moiraine

I am beginning to regret his sacking now.
I think it was really stupid of our board and CEO for not backing him fully in transfer market (not buying a central defender and a winger i.e. Perisic). I think he was right not to trust of the likes of Rashford, Martial, Shaw

We really fcuked up and paid the price of not having a footballing person Incharge of our transfers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I am beginning to regret his sacking now.
I think it was really stupid of our board and CEO for not backing him fully in transfer market (not buying a central defender and a winger i.e. Perisic). I think he was right not to trust of the likes of Rashford, Martial, Shaw

We really fcuked up and paid the price of not having a footballing person Incharge of our transfers.
No. He didn't a terrible job and wasted loads of money. Woodward not doing enough in the transfer market doesn't excuse Mourinho's shit after 2.5 years.

Infra-red

I think that ultimately, his confrontational style means he will always outstay his welcome at a club within 3-4 years. I do think he should have been backed more in the market last summer, but things would have imploded eventually.

By the time he was sacked, he certainly deserved it (indeed he appeared to have been actively inviting it for quite some time).

Moiraine

No. He didn't a terrible job and wasted loads of money. Woodward not doing enough in the transfer market doesn't excuse Mourinho's shit after 2.5 years.
I think his demands of a winger (Perisic) and and a central defender ( Maguire ) should have been met. It would have been different third season to be honest. From 2nd in the league, we actually regressed...

fps

I'd rather have Perisic on the right wing than Andreas Pereira.

RyRy11

We’d be best of the rest behind Liverpool and City but not within reach. Everyone would get bored after a while due to the pragmatic style of play, lack of goals and lack of youth getting chances.

lex talionis

It's a fair question but the answer is clearly no. Mourinho brought us Sanchez, who was a colossal failure and he brought us Lukaku, who clearly underperformed. We were defensively unsound, which is not characteristic of a Mourinho squad and although it's true he begged for funds for another defender, it's also true that his acquisitions going into last summer for the most part didn't work out that well.

We were dreadful to watch and fans gleeful at witnessing our decline had every right to do so.

His overall record as manager is still brilliant, but his time at United was two and a half seasons of wasted effort and futility.

HowYouDoin

Mourinho's style was probably outdated and his toxic personality didnt help. Theres a reason he doesnt last more than 3 years anywhere.
With that said, he was spot on in identifying the problems.

Biggest thing IMO which we dont like the admit, the likes of Rashford, Martial and Shaw are average players that shouldnt be starting for a top club.
We have problem admitting that to ourselves.

The other stuff too. Promoting McTominay, calling him the best player, asking for Maguire, even asking for Perisic, wanting to get rid of Pogba etc. Spot on.

Looking for a director of football? He'd be better suited in that role. As a manager probably a bit too toxic, outdated and now with him theres a generational clash as well. He just doesnt want to accept this generation for who they are.
But identifying the problems and whats wrong? Spot on. He was just the wrong man to fix it as a manager.

SlimDizzle075

Ok before I get slated for being crazy here, this is a genuine question.

Jose has been successful when things are done his way - i.e. money and players who submit to him and do all of the tough things he wants them to do.

We can safely say he was reasonably backed in terms of cash, maybe not enough, but decent amount spent. So no complaints there.

However, when players were against him, I do not think the club backed him as a person/ideology/work culture. They should have made their position clear - "manager is the boss, if you do not like him or his style of play, we will sell you no problems. No hard feelings. We only want players who 100% buy into his methods and willing to run through brick walls for him."

The reason I say this is that SAF was more revolutionary in terms of what he changed when he came, and he won a lot less at that stage in his career compared to Jose. But the club backed him and the rest is history. We can probably agree SAF was more vicious in the dressing room too and did not tolerate you once you go against him - Keane, Becks, Ruud are perfect examples. No matter how much you have done for the club.

So, should the club have bought into his approach even more and instead remove the players rather than the manager? Shaw certainly improved once he listened to Jose. Is it unthinkable that our third season would have been different if we backed his authority even more?

No, Jose was a miserable cnut who plays BORING defensive football. He is inferior to Pep in coaching and footballing philosophy and we would never outspend them. All the backing in the world wouldn't have changed that.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Thought about it myself the other day but I reckon it went past the point of no return with Jose, in terms of his relationship with the higher ups and some of the players.
I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid Jose’s first two seasons would look like the treble season in comparison with where we’re heading, I really want to be wrong on this one.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Anyone here think we would've challenged either Liverpool or City last season had we bought Harry Maguire last season?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He had some of the right ideas but couldn't have implemented them successfully anyway in my opinion. Far too much of a dick these days, with none of his old motivational qualities.

hn4manunited

I will always say this. We know who and what Jose is. He has his ways of winning. If you hire him and don’t allow him to operate his way entirely, you will end up with a mess. This is no different than many other managers.

I will continue to point out that the signings we’ve made do not resemble the kind of signings Jose has signed for his previous teams. I strongly believe that if he was allowed to run things entirely his way, we would be signing different sets of players and will be further along than where we are right now. Jose will never have the patience for mediocrity. Hence, his behavior as his tenure with us went on.

i won’t hide the fact that while I have always been a United fan, I have also been a fan of Jose since his early management days. i would like to think I know more about how he has operated throughout the years as compared to others who haven’t followed him as closely. I’m not trying to absolve him of any of his misdoings but I just see lots of things happening here that don’t look right and how it has played out tells me that it’s a lot more that’s happened in the background that we are blaming Jose solely for.

Regalia

Definitely.

Like it or not, Jose knew how to win and in a way, he was already doing it with this rabble of a team. You can now see the stark contrast between a top, experienced manager and one who took Cardiff to relegation.

Jose recognized the severe limitations of this team, the bad apples, the systemic rot in the board. It's just that some people didn't agree with his method of solving these problems.

Denis' cuff

Yes.

Jose said he won't be signing any forward players in the summer after getting Sanchez. Those are the words of a man who thought Sanchez would elevate his team. Not somebody who was forced on him

Those are the words of a man who knows EW has blown his duff, big time, and won’t be spending any more.

UncleBob

I will always say this. We know who and what Jose is. He has his ways of winning. If you hire him and don’t allow him to operate his way entirely, you will end up with a mess. This is no different than many other managers.

I will continue to point out that the signings we’ve made do not resemble the kind of signings Jose has signed for his previous teams. I strongly believe that if he was allowed to run things entirely his way, we would be signing different sets of players and will be further along than where we are right now. Jose will never have the patience for mediocrity. Hence, his behavior as his tenure with us went on.

i won’t hide the fact that while I have always been a United fan, I have also been a fan of Jose since his early management days. i would like to think I know more about how he has operated throughout the years as compared to others who haven’t followed him as closely. I’m not trying to absolve him of any of his misdoings but I just see lots of things happening here that don’t look right and how it has played out tells me that it’s a lot more that’s happened in the background that we are blaming Jose solely for.
It (almost) always ends up in a mess, the only question is how much success you have in the short period he's there.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No, Jose was a miserable cnut who plays BORING defensive football. He is inferior to Pep in coaching and footballing philosophy and we would never outspend them. All the backing in the world wouldn't have changed that.
Mourinho is a coach with no long term goals. It's all about himself rather than the club. He has a history of buying experienced players to win trophies in the short term and leaving the club in a mess. He has very little regard for the general future health of the club. Short-termism is the reason United have been fleeced in the transfer market over the last 6/7 years since Sir Alex and Gill both left together.

hn4manunited

It (almost) always ends up in a mess, the only question is how much success you have in the short period he's there.
it usually ends up in a mess when the club couldn’t find a way to continue to feed the winning machine. Performance dips, he becomes unhappy and everything else follows.

hn4manunited

Mourinho is a coach with no long term goals. It's all about himself rather than the club. He has a history of buying experienced players to win trophies in the short term and leaving the club in a mess. He has very little regard for the general future health of the club. Short-termism is the reason United have been fleeced in the transfer market over the last 6/7 years since Sir Alex and Gill both left together.
Us being in the state we were needed quite a bit of short-termism to continue to stay relevant. Without proper amount of short-termism leads us to a slide down the table. Now, of course we’ll have to supplement with proper long term planning. That is where our structure falls short. We need to hire a manager who can help us win now and win at any cost. Then we need people in the background/structure to work the the manager to supplement the talents for the longer term plan.

edit:
I will add an analogy. If any of you have been in the corporate environment and have been high enough in the management/executive chain, you will know that the sales people and their managers are focused on winning deals and closing deals to hit the current quarter’s sales targets. Their VPs and up will focus on a little bit further out and then there are other folks in the organization thinking about further down the road.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Move on from Mourinho. He became toxic even before the last season started. He should have been sacked immediately after the club returned from pre-season.