If Mourinho's authority and ideology were given more backing, would we be challenging?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Are you telling me he needed 500million to comfortably beat the likes of Sevilla, Anderlecht, Benfica, Basel... ?
Apparently so. It's baffling that some don't see how daft that is.

cheeky_backheel

Since SAF, Mourinho's tenure (even with the flaws and his childish tantrums) was the best of the lot.

But all of those managers would likely have done better under a better management. Instead they had to suffer under the cluelessness of Ed Woodward.

I said it, when everyone was calling for Mourinho's sacking, that the problem was (and still is) Ed not the manager. We can hire Poch, Pep or even the Pope, and we would still be in the same situation, if not worse.,

Feel free to sack Ole and rinse 'n' repeat.

hn4manunited

What do you personally think about him trying to revert to his preferred squad of veterans being the spine of the team. Would you say we should have gone along with fielding a team of Willians and Perisic's when Jose demanded it?
Absolutely, if that is what Jose thinks is the right thing to do for that season. That could have turned out to be a good mix of seasoned and young. Who are we to question this manager’s decisions? Have any of us a CV like this guy? Do any of us all of a sudden know more than Jose? Does Ed or any of his cronies have better credentials to veto Jose’s requests? He’s one of the winningest manager in football!

Foxbatt

He knows how to win. No one can deny it. Yes we should have backed him in hindsight.
Yes sometimes I can't stand his antics but depending on the circumstances his teams can play attacking football too.

hn4manunited

Are you telling me he needed 500million to comfortably beat the likes of Sevilla, Anderlecht, Benfica, Basel... ?
not all 500M but maybe a combination of an amount of money and selling off of the spineless players. The weakness in the squad is part created by those spineless players who are inconsistent. If we had those spineless players replaced, we could be more consistent in those games against those teams you mentioned.

Greck

He knows how to win. No one can deny it. Yes we should have backed him in hindsight.
Yes sometimes I can't stand his antics but depending on the circumstances his teams can play attacking football too.
You're entitled to that POV just as many of us feel that we made the right choice and would and should do it again ten times over.

matt10000

Well everyone says the current squad is crap and so if you consider we have already spent £140 million since then, do you think we need to spend another £360 million to have a decent squad?

I would say we need to spend at least that. £360 million will buy 4 or 5 top players and to have a decent first 11 and strength in depth, in my humble opinion we need at least 4 or 5 top players.

The general belief is that Mourinho was happy to sell Pogba and Martial to raise funds and I can see why.

hn4manunited

Well everyone says the current squad is crap and so if you consider we have already spent £140 million since then, do you think we need to spend another £360 million to have a decent squad?

I would say we need to spend at least that. £360 million will buy 4 or 5 top players and to have a decent first 11 and strength in depth, in my humble opinion we need at least 4 or 5 top players.

The general belief is that Mourinho was happy to sell Pogba and Martial to raise funds and I can see why.
thanks for posting this. That is pure and simple math for all to see. I would argue 500M is not nearly enough to improve this squad.

el3mel

We literally defeated every team in the league that season. We also had the second best record against top teams in the league. In the second half of the season we defeated all big teams bar Spurs.

We defeated Basel at home and the second game we lost against them in the group was after we got 12 points after our first 4 games and was guaranteed to get past it.

We defeated Benfica home and away 1-0 and 2-0.

We got past Anderlecht in the EL the previous season and defeated them. We got 2 ACL injuries during the match and missed loads of clear sitters during the main 90 minutes because Zlatan was in an absolutely terrible form this day. Nothing tactically here. Watch :

I don't know what's that post supposed to even mean ?

Sevilla was the only bad match of the lot you listed.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Are you telling me that you expected him to comfortably beat them all with a crap and spineless squad?
Please don't give me that crap he's supposed to be a world class manager and yet all he proved was that he's a nobody without $$$$

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I said we are one of the richest clubs in the world which is true.

I didn’t say there were unlimited resources. In fact I said that the sale of Pogba and Martial could have been used.
I never claimed you said there were unlimited resources. I only said United can't continiually fix mistakes in the window (players Mourinho signed off on) just because they are the richest club (which is what you said). Why did you even bring up United being the richest club if it wasn't important?

You said “I don't see the use in inventing hypothetical scenarios” in point 3 which apparently I misunderstood by pointing out that if you discard speculation and hypothetical from a thread that is entitled ‘if....(such and such scenario) would (such and such have happened) then there would be nothing to post.
You are conflating 2 separate hypotheticals. The thread is asking what would have happened. Your hypotheticals deal primarily with what did happen (i.e. he didn't have the authority to make transfers, the way he was sold the job). There is a big difference.

matt10000

I never claimed you said there were unlimited resources. I only said United can't continiually fix mistakes in the window (players Mourinho signed off on) just because they are the richest club (which is what you said). Why did you even bring up United being the richest club if it wasn't important?

You are conflating 2 separate hypotheticals. The thread is asking what would have happened. Your hypotheticals deal primarily with what did happen (i.e. he didn't have the authority to make transfers, the way he was sold the job). There is a big difference.
You lost me at cornflake.....

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I would argue that he actually did with coming in 2nd with what he had. 2nd and far behind the high flying City wasn’t good enough. Hence, him asking for more reinforcements to improve.
You mean the same squad he thought could challenge for the title?

GifLord

We literally defeated every team in the league that season. We also had the second best record against top teams in the league. In the second half of the season we defeated all big teams bar Spurs.

We defeated Basel at home and the second game we lost against them in the group was after we got 12 points after our first 4 games and was guaranteed to get past it.

We got past Anderlecht in the EL the previous season and defeated them. We got 2 ACL injuries during the match and missed loads of clear sitters during the main 90 minutes because Zlatan was in an absolutely terrible form this day. Nothing tactically here. Watch :

Since when is it acceptable to beat Anderlecht in a 2 legged match after extra time?
Fecking ANDERLECHT :lol:
And the Celta Vigo match was also horrible. We were literally riding our luck in that game.

el3mel

Since when is it acceptable to beat Anderlecht in a 2 legged match after extra time?
Fecking ANDERLECHT :lol:
And the Celta Vigo match was also horrible. We were literally riding our luck in that game.
I don't know. Make some effort and watch the video at least ? We should have won 4-1 or so in the main time if we took our chances.

I bet the number of chances we made in that game is more than what we created this entire current season or so.

tombombadil

He was backed in his 1st and 2nd season and what did he have to show for it? We were absolutely embarassing in EL(extra time against the mighty Anderlecht :lol:, were a touch away from elimination against fecking Celta) and in the UCL( some horrible group stage matches and then got eliminated against Sevilla playing pussy Mourinho football) despite playing against some of the easiest opponents.
Considering we are staving off relegation right now, I think it was a miracle he got 2nd place. The highest league finish ever, post SAF. And also the Europa League, CL qualification and League Cup. Quite a lot of achievements considering we hardly won a damn thing before and after Mourinho. I think LvG's FA Cup is the only other thing we won.

Again, Mourinho is right. We have no pedigree. The squad needs to be rebuilt with a stronger mentality. Too many viruses going about these days.

And again, still doesn't change the fact that the "transfer committee" decided a lot of things for him.

tombombadil

Since SAF, Mourinho's tenure (even with the flaws and his childish tantrums) was the best of the lot.

But all of those managers would likely have done better under a better management. Instead they had to suffer under the cluelessness of Ed Woodward.

I said it, when everyone was calling for Mourinho's sacking, that the problem was (and still is) Ed not the manager. We can hire Poch, Pep or even the Pope, and we would still be in the same situation, if not worse.,

Feel free to sack Ole and rinse 'n' repeat.
Spot on

tombombadil

I can only say I agree with him.

Please don't give me that crap he's supposed to be a world class manager and yet all he proved was that he's a nobody without $$$$
He doesn't need to prove a goddamn thing. Least of all to internet arm chair managers. His numerous trophies do the proving for him.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

You can't blame players for poor finishing in Mou's season and then credit Mou for us finishing 2nd the following seson.
It was a God level season for Dave and without him, we'd have finished 5th or 6th.

A lot of us were arguing then that the performances that season were unsustainable as we were ridiculously good on both sides of the pitch.

GifLord

I can only say I agree with him.

He doesn't need to prove a goddamn thing. Least of all to internet arm chair managers. His numerous trophies do the proving for him.
Sure if you're brainwashed then he clearly doesn't need to prove anything since apparently you can be world class for eternity if your name is Jose Mourinho

anant

You do realise that the players Mou bought were not only poor, but also extremely short term fixes as well, right?
We may be the richest team, but that doesnt mean we can afford a huge rebuild every 3-4 years

matt10000

You are conflating 2 separate hypotheticals. The thread is asking what would have happened. Your hypotheticals deal primarily with what did happen
You lost me at cornflake.....
Context clues are your friend.
I can't help you if you can only selectively read the English language. Any words you don't understand can easily be Googled.
Thanks for the advice I think I will google condescending

tombombadil

Sure if you're brainwashed then he clearly doesn't need to prove anything since apparently you can be world class for eternity if your name is Jose Mourinho
Apparently you're shit if an internet arm chair manager called GifLord proclaims it to be so.

I don't need propaganda. I have facts. And the trophies Mourinho has, even the English Premier League title just a few years ago, prove he is a winner. I can't say the same for other people.

el3mel

You can't blame players for poor finishing in Mou's season and then credit Mou for us finishing 2nd the following seson.
It was a God level season for Dave and without him, we'd have finished 5th or 6th.

A lot of us were arguing then that the performances that season were unsustainable as we were ridiculously good on both sides of the pitch.
Nope I can, because a) I didn't credit Mourinho alone for the 2nd, as our players had a good season too and Mourinho as well did a pretty good job. I said the notion of De Gea carrying us was pure nonsense, because he couldn't carry us to 2nd spot during LVG. He can save as much as he wants but if we can't put the ball in the net we don't win.

And b) Yes, our finishing was dogshite in Mourinho's first season and that made our matches look more struggling that what it should have been this season. Remember the famour Burnley match ? How was that not an awful finishing ?

Our finishing improved a lot the next season I didn't say otherwise, I was replaying to a certain point about that Anderlecht match, but we didn't finish 2nd because of De Gea alone. That's nonsense as I said. He doesn't put the ball in the goal for us to win. We finished high up in the table because we were the most consistent of the other lot, were great in big games, and had a fighting spirit in us to make comebacks after going down.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It's next level delusion. This is what happens when fans support a manager/player more than "their" club.

tombombadil

It's next level delusion. This is what happens when fans support a manager/player more than "their" club.
It's delusion when internet Einsteins get all delusional and claim others are traitors when they are the ones putting their own ego above the needs of the club.

It's the same type of disease that causes internet Einsteins to claim Carrick can't pass. Or Scholes and Giggs are shit. Or SAF is senile and needs to be replaced.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
The level of support Mourinho retains from United fans, for a guy who disparaged our club at every opportunity he had, is quite baffling to me. I lack words here. Either people have short memories and have forgotten everything about the toxicity in and around the club before he was sacked or they are actually fanatics who think he can do no wrong and is the GOAT of managers.

Which makes me wonder why’s he sitting in studios these days instead of at the touch line of a club?

steffyr2

The level of support Mourinho retains from United fans, for a guy who disparaged our club at every opportunity he had, is quite baffling to me. I lack words here. Either people have short memories and have forgotten everything about the toxicity in and around the club before he was sacked or they are actually fanatics who think he can do no wrong and is the GOAT of managers.

Which makes me wonder why’s he sitting in studios these days instead of at the touch line of a club?
Probably burnt out and isn't rushing into a job because he was paid so much by Ed.
btw, watching Chelsea right now, Willian looks like someone who would have made a difference for us.

steffyr2

Probably burnt out and isn't rushing into a job because he was paid so much by Ed.
btw, watching Chelsea right now, Willian looks like someone who would have made a difference for us.
also: when did Mourinho disparage Utd?

anant

Nope I can, because a) I didn't credit Mourinho alone for the 2nd, as our players had a good season too and Mourinho as well did a pretty good job. I said the notion of De Gea carrying us was pure nonsense, because he couldn't carry us to 2nd spot during LVG. He can save as much as he wants but if we can't put the ball in the net we don't win.

And b) Yes, our finishing was dogshite in Mourinho's first season and that made our matches look more struggling that what it should have been this season. Remember the famour Burnley match ? How was that not an awful finishing ?

Our finishing improved a lot the next season I didn't say otherwise, I was replaying to a certain point about that Anderlecht match, but we didn't finish 2nd because of De Gea alone. That's nonsense as I said. He doesn't put the ball in the goal for us to win. We finished high up in the table because we were the most consistent of the other lot, were great in big games, and had a fighting spirit in us to make comebacks after going down.
I liked our footballin Mou's 1st season because our basics weren't bad that year. We were creating a lot of chances and it was just the finishing that we lacked.
Second season was purely Dave. No goalkeeper has outperformed xGA by 14 goals! Our play style got worse since the 0-0 vs Pool. Add to that we lost to all three newly promoted teams and I believe we dropped points to 3 of that season's bottom 4 as well?

el3mel

I liked our footballin Mou's 1st season because our basics weren't bad that year. We were creating a lot of chances and it was just the finishing that we lacked.
Second season was purely Dave. No goalkeeper has outperformed xGA by 14 goals! Our play style got worse since the 0-0 vs Pool. Add to that we lost to all three newly promoted teams and I believe we dropped points to 3 of that season's bottom 4 as well?
As I said, we also defeated all the teams in the league at least once, and had the second best record in top 6 games behind City. During the second half of the season we defeated Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and City, only losing to Spurs. The football wasn't as good as the first season (yeah we played much better football in his first season), but it doesn't mean we were as bad as people making us out to be. The team did pretty well, were consistent for the majority of the season, knew how to grind results, were able to gather themselves up mentally and winning after going down by 1 or 2 goals and did pretty well in big games not just flat track bully as people might think. We might have got more points if we actually didn't give up on the league after Arsenal game, winning one of our last 3 matches after the Arsenal match pretty much guaranteed our spot in the league.

David had a great season but as I said whatever amount of saves he made, if we can't put the ball in the net we can't win. He was absolutely phenomenal in LVG's both seasons and we still finished only 4th and 5th despite the league being far shitter then. He had a very good season, but he wasn't the sole reason for us finishing high up in the table. That's a big discredit to the team and the manager. We finished second because we were the best of the other lot during that season, plain and simple.

We regressed badly in his 3rd season for several factors and he deserved to go by the end but imo his 2 full seasons aren't appreciated enough compared to the shite show before and after them. Football could have been better, and the gap with City could have been less, but these were very decent seasons. Now compare our discussions about if we deserved to finish 2nd or not with our current state being 14th and above relegation zone by 1 point. At least we had more expectations of the team back then.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Mourinho in his best seasons here were forced to play the players he didn't want at the club.

If he had stayed a further year then they would have been replaced by his favourites, his old players and his less technical players - only to leave us in an equivalent squad status to what we have now.

He has never done it over 3 years even at his own 'Jose Mourinho Clubs' - it's delusional to think that it's something that was going to happen at United.

Not a chance. Glad I don't have to see him nor his football again. Negative energy at the club.