If not Ramos or Otamendi.....Then Which CB?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I'd be a lot more comfortable with our current centre-back options if it is true that De Gea is staying for another year. The experience of Schweinsteiger in front of them is a positive too. Maybe Jones will finally have a breakthrough season. If Smalling can form a consistent partnership with somebody then we will be much better thank last season.
Sounds like something a Beauty Queen Pageant entrant would say - alongside wanting World Peace.. ;):p

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If someone told me right now that Jones and Smalling will never be injured the entire season, I'd probably be comfortable not buying anyone... probably.

But that's not going to happen... so...

RedStarUnited

Call me crazy but I can totally see us not buying a CB.
I can see this too. Jones and Smalling just signed new deals, I think if Ramos is unattainable then LVG would rather go with those guys.

Can they last a season though, thats the question.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Stones looks like a natural leader and a possible future England captain. Smalling is great but not really a leader. Jones hasn't really convinced yet with positional sense and composure.
Where do you people get this nonsense from? 'Natural leader' - how do you quantify that? It's not like Smalling has visually been marshaling the defence for the last half of the season, and was our third choice captain.

Empire

When Evans, Jones and Smalling inevitably get injured at the same time then I think Carrick will be played there.

Devil may care

Thanks for clearing that. It's a relief. I am convinced that we are after Otamendi (all media reports though) and it would be great if we get him.

If not him then I would like us to take a punt with Stones. He is well established at his club but the lure of higher wages should be able to turn his head. Also, I am guessing Everton will look at offers above £24 million.
I hope so as well but I've always had a nagging feeling that it seemed odd for LvG to buy another CB of that type as opposed to a ball playing CB, simply because we don't have one of those and he likes to build from the back.

That's something Stones would give us and he's young but not completely inexperienced as he's a regular in the PL.

Sylar

Stones looks like a natural leader and a possible future England captain. Smalling is great but not really a leader. Jones hasn't really convinced yet with positional sense and composure.
Was said of Jones before we signed him. Numerous times.

In fact, said of many English talent who show potential, but in recent times have not fulfilled it either because of the wrong career choice, because they have stayed at a team too long and not developed or been played out of position (which has curtailed their development for that one position).
Also in a business where winning is really important now, potential doesnt have a huge chance to be fulfilled it seems unless bought from overseas.

Mindhunter

I hope so as well but I've always had a nagging feeling that it seemed odd for LvG to buy another CB of that type as opposed to a ball playing CB, simply because we don't have one of those and he likes to build from the back.

That's something Stones would give us and he's young but not completely inexperienced as he's a regular in the PL.
Yeah, that's right. Our interest in Stones (if true) will be a bit weird. However, if the process of identifying targets that Woody explained during his interview is anything to go by then there is a chance that he might end up 2nd or 3rd in our list after maybe Otamendi and Ramos.

However, Chelsea's interest in him will surely raise his stock to Shaw levels if we want to bid for him.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
When Evans, Jones and Smalling inevitably get injured at the same time then I think Carrick will be played there.
More the reason for a quality CB, anything less would be foolish.

Kazi

Smalling and Jones (and Rojo). Give them a chance with some real protection that we've brought in this Summer.

Empire

This apparent Otamendi snub has me stumped. Surely, there's something brewing behind the scenes.
Perhaps we know we won't get Ramos since he doesn't want to leave, Ramos is using us to get himself a lucrative new contract and we are using him and now the supposed lack of interest in Otamendi to bring his price down, £35m does seem a bit high.

RU Devil

Maybe experience is less important to him than personality. For example, someone like Terry was more of a leader at a young age than most veteran CBs.

Of the young talent around, Laporte or Stones would probably be the players we'd most likely go for.
Good point about personality & leadership. Can't say any of our current CBs exude that leadership vibe. Nor do I get the feeling any of them leads the back 4 like Vidic or Rio did. Not that I think any should defer to one or the other, but I'm not sure who is in charge. Seems a Ramos or Otamendi can come in and lead (well maybe not the latter), but maybe it's time either Smailing and/or Jones takes the mantle of leadership. If they can (& stay healthy), then getting another CB becomes moot. I know, two big IF's.

Wouldn't snatching Stones but the timing could be wrong for all parties. Not sure who else we can get to actually improve the CB corp besides the 2 La Liga guys.

Gasolin

Why wouldn't United buy Otamendi? The guy wants to come... and clearly the club needs a striker and a defender at least.

wiz4231

It's a pretty ridiculous transfer market where we would have to pay £20 million AND give away an experienced CL and domestic centre back in order to sign an inexperienced 21 year old. Shows how little we tend to value our players
its not about how little we value our players, his stock not exactly high is it, hes more or less always injured like rafa whose also on his way out, plus Stones is very talented and has a bright future ahead of him more than can be said for evans

starman

Entice Everton with loaning back Stones. Also pick up Vlaar.

Jones/Smalling Rojo/Blind/Mcnair/Carrick/Blackett/Vlaar that should be enough. Ramos or Otamendi would be great, but doesn't seem like its going to happen, not much else really available

Devil may care

Vlaar is not only not good enough and too old, he's also injured and not likely to play until 2016.

ravi2

Did Woodie really rule out Otamendi?
That is surprising I have to say, I thought that was one signing we had in the bag.

Hummels has stated he is staying at BVB and Chiellini and Thiago Silva aren't going anywhere...the only CB I can think of that is on that level is Godin...who is totally worth €50m IMO.

Devil may care

Well he would be the 3rd best CB which than says a lot about the players he will be ahead of... And how is 30 to old??
He's not better than Smalling, Jones or Rojo and on his day Evans was better than Vlaar. 30 is a player heading into the twilight of their career and even more so given he's quite injury prone, you only bring in players like that if they are top class and you want their elite leve experience to add to the team, like we've done with Schweinsteiger.

Devil may care

Bloody hell - Vlaar?

Folk need a head check for suggesting him. Well summed up man..
We are hitting the weird period of the transfer window where there's a position we need to fill and all sorts of names get flung around. I think Woody and LvG have shown the intention is quality not just any port in a storm.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
We are hitting the weird period of the transfer window where there's a position we need to fill and all sorts of names get flung around. I think Woody and LvG have shown the intention is quality not just any port in a storm.
Absolutely man. Sure both have said we'll only buy players that will improve the team / squad - common-sense though..

starman

Not a bad idea mate, but Vlaar? Jaysus..
He's not better than Smalling, Jones or Rojo and on his day Evans was better than Vlaar. 30 is a player heading into the twilight of their career and even more so given he's quite injury prone, you only bring in players like that if they are top class and you want their elite leve experience to add to the team, like we've done with Schweinsteiger.
I would say he is better than Rojo. Rojo is not "top class". Smalling is getting there. Jones might get there. Evans on his day is better....? and what about on Vlaar's day?

And hes a free transfer, a stop gap, and will probably be back for Nov, maybe earlier if we rehabilitate him. And the point has been entirely missed with buying Stones and loaning him back...

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
Why this sudden love for Stones by United fans? I thought Jones, Smalling and Evans were the rightful successors to Vidic and Rio and were going to rule EPL for years to come. Why try the same formula again when the previous one failed?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I would say he is better than Rojo. Rojo is not "top class". Smalling is getting there. Jones might get there. Evans on his day is better....? and what about on Vlaar's day?

And hes a free transfer, a stop gap, and will probably be back for Nov, maybe earlier if we rehabilitate him. And the point has been entirely missed with buying Stones and loaning him back...
I wouldnt say Evans is better - even on his birthday. Agree with the other's though.

No way United are gonna bring in a player, in a much needed position, that's injured until atleast Nov - maybe 2016 even. It would be madness man & would show a serious flaw in our transfer thinking - which we dont seem to have i might add..