"If only we'd beaten Blackburn..."

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
what if chelsea had of lost drogba? Anelka started off on fire and went shit. Drogba scored against us and again today - albiet with help. These things matter. There's no denying though we need ..well we could have done with a fit owen at blackburn and chelsea at OT.
They actually played better without Drogba when he went to the ACN.

Sylar

I still think it goes down to us losing at home to Chelsea and that shit first 45 minutes where we did feck all and just gave it to chelsea.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A lot of if's in this thread.
If Chelsea had won Wigan they'd be even more ahead of us.

It's all a lotta ifs. Remember, Chelsea also drew with Blackburn recently.
They just deserve it more. If they don't win Wigan and we win Sunderland and Stoke we deserve it more.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Our major problem this season has been lack of a killer instinct and an over dependency on Rooney.

Considering the calibre of players we lost last summer and the subsequent quality of the replacements bought, I think we have done fantastically well this season. Who knows we may still even win the title if Wigan can turn it next week.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Title was lost at OT against Chelsea. That is all
This. You can't lose a six-pointer when it is so tight and so late in the season. We did, we were unfortunate not to have Rooney and coming from a terrible game in Munich. Tough, they had to beat what was in front of them and they did.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
OP... it's the one match during the run-in when United had a golden opportunity and fecked up. It can be singled out. It wouldn't have such a huge spotlight had it ended 1-1 or 2-2 but to not score a single goal when needing a win was a major feck up. Yeah yeah Chelsea drew there too but they did score a goal.

Shimo

I still go back to Burnley game ... that was a result that should never should have happened.

MUFCgal

If only Carrick had scored his penalty against Burnley.

If only we had proper defenders against Fulham at the cottage

If only we had turned up in the first half against Chelsea at OT

If only Valencia had taken his chance against Blackburn
If only the ref hadn't had a spastic game at the Bridge.

If only Drogba's goal had been correctly ruled offside at OT.

If only Bolton had been given those two penalties at the Bridge.

Unam333

The whole "if only we'd beaten Blackburn" indeed doesn't make sense. Think about it, if we did beat Blackburn, then the result will have an effect on future results.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
This has been a regular refrain on here and it's doing my fecking head in.

Blaming a single result for a whole season's campaign is stupid enough but the idiocy of this slogan is compounded by the game that's going on right now.

If Chelsea match our result at Anfield we'd be going into the final week as hot favourites to win the title. feck it, even if they only go better than us - and draw - we'd still be in the driving seat next weekend.

Our draw away at Blackburn was by no means the worst result this season and we picked up the same amount of points that Chelsea achieved in the exact same frigging fixture. So if you're going to have a whine about single games if/when Chelsea finish ahead of us, let's at least try to focus on fixtures where they gained some points on us, shall we? Thank you.
Agreed. taht's why i just drank myself into oblivion

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Okay i'm confused...

We can't say we lost the title at Blackburn, but if Chelsea lose it next week, they lost it at Wigan?... We'd be top if we didn't fall to Blackburn so I don't understand why it's not a legit statement to make...

Nucks

RT History Department
Okay i'm confused...

We can't say we lost the title at Blackburn, but if Chelsea lose it next week, they lost it at Wigan?... We'd be top if we didn't fall to Blackburn so I don't understand why it's not a legit statement to make...
I think their argument is that a season is decided by a body of work. A season can come down to one game sure, but you can point to dozens of individual moments and say if only, and if only they had gone a different way then the season doesn't come down to that one game.

Does that make sense? ;p

SittingBull

That's great and all, but what is Sergio Canales u
At United, we strive for perfection, and if we fai
the title was lost when we didn't have proper backup for rooney and another attacking threat. then we wouldn't have to worry about him hobbling about.

at the end of the day, losing ronaldo and tevez and not replacing their goals/ movement up top meant we were always papering over the cracks and hoping for a good run at trophies.
Good post, my sentiments exactly. During the summer, it was clear that we needed another source for goals to relieve Ronaldo's and Tevez's contributions. Fergie put all his eggs on Rooney stepping up and boy did the lad answer in resounding fashion. When injured, Berbatov failed miserably on his own. Our squad lost most of the games after a CL game and that says it all really. Most of us had already expected Chelsea to win the title based on pre season poll and Essien's long term injury only masked our inadequacies. Our squad hadn't been good enough and I would like the likes of Joe Cole, Steven Piennar as additions, Macheda and Nani to step up next season, together with one top signing, and we will be back challenging on all fronts.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I think their argument is that a season is decided by a body of work. A season can come down to one game sure, but you can point to dozens of individual moments and say if only, and if only they had gone a different way then the season doesn't come down to that one game.

Does that make sense? ;p
Well then you could realistically say by not making one more signing we lost the title, so we lost it before it was even played.

Hindsight is a kicker.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah, you can't argue with Chelsea winning it really after doing the double over all the major contenders.

If only we'd beaten Blackburn though ;)

MalteseRedDevil

If we loose this league its because we lost twice against chelsea. if u loose to your rival home and away then u cant expect to win the league.

We have shown great fighting spirit to take it to the final day. At the start of the season i felt we would struggle and it has been a struggle right to the end, just wish that we could end it as champions.......BELIEVE

Nucks

RT History Department
Well then you could realistically say by not making one more signing we lost the title, so we lost it before it was even played.

Hindsight is a kicker.
Let's go even further. We can say that because the primordial ooze that started all life on earth developed in one certain way, humans are prone to turning ankles!

Enigma_87

You know who

Does that make sense? ;p
Little sense maybe.

The title is not won in September or October, but can be lost in April.

Sure vs B'Burn was not the decider. We won against Shitty what we lost against Blackburn.
Even though we lost Roon for that match, we shoul've won it easily. It was up for the taking. Blackburn offered little to stun us.

The title was lost at OT. It was 6 points match and we got 0 from that. Had we won that match, the title would've been all but wrapped up, almost the same with drawing it.

Can't say anything about Chelsea, they are worthy champions. To get 18 points from 18 against us Arsenal,Pool shows for it.

Any of those matches(B'Burn,Chelsea) did us and practically took the title away from us.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
The title is not won in September or October, but can be lost in April.
No, the title isnt won in September or October, but it can have a huge influence later on in the season, and in Uniteds case, some of our earlier results have cost us dear. Burnley for example..

You can point to certan games late in the season and suggest they are the root cause of the problems, but thats just looking for excuses.

If we'd beaten Burnley, beaten Villa at home, then we wouldnt have had to worry if we lost to Chelsea. We'd have been home and dry long before...

The fact is, we were too inconsistent, and failed to capitalise on their own inconsistency earlier in the season. WHen they had their poor run, we should have kicked on and left ourselves well ahead of them. We didnt, and its cost us..

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
2010 Chelsea > 2010 United......it hurts but its undeniable.
we dont normally agree but this is just about the right assessment of this season. And thats OK. We cant win every bloody season!!!!

mjs020294

I can take not winning the league usually BUT it fecking hurts when it would have been number 19, and four on the run.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I can take not winning the league usually BUT it fecking hurts when it would have been number 19, and four on the run.
Being honest, I am actually quite pleased with this season.

I wont deny I expected us to struggle far more than we have, and to finish as high as we are, and in fact to still be challenging is far more than I expected.

So whilst it would be fantastic to win the 19th title, and make it 4 in a row, I actually feel this season has been a success. Albeit with little to show for it.

kiristao

I wont deny I expected us to struggle far more than we have, and to finish as high as we are, and in fact to still be challenging is far more than I expected.

So whilst it would be fantastic to win the 19th title, and make it 4 in a row, I actually feel this season has been a success. Albeit with little to show for it.
I agree with this. I expect Chelsea to twat Wigan next weekend and win the title and will be disappointed we didnt win the title but considering who we lost in the summer and the injuries we had during the season, I am quite proud that we kept our title hopes up going into the last game on the season.

mjs020294

My point was four on the bounce has never been done, and most likely never will be.....so close yet so far.

vivaronaldo

cant really put the season down to 1 result at blackburn....on the flipside if paul scholes doesnt score in injury time at city then this title is already over

it all evens out at the end of the year........for me a crucial moment in the season was the 5 seconds when rooney got injured and we conceded away at munich............we lost a little belief that night being reliant on 1 player and lost an advantage in the tie which proved pivotal in the procedding games after.....

all "ifs" now though

42 euros

Aka Giggs 11 times
Feels more like we lost the title and not Chelsea winning it. Dodgy decisions in our games against them have to be balanced by very poor performance at OT. Very disappointed but surprisingly not gutted or bitter. IMHO we are still the better team with Rooney fit but Chelsea have been good enough to capitalise on our mistakes so no complaints.

Sir A1ex

It is funny how everybody is focussing on drawing away to Blackburn (13th in the league, 3 home defeats all season, average less than one goal conceded at home).

To me, the following results are all worse:

losing to relegated Burnley
conceding 3 goals on route to losing to Everton and Fulham
drawing at home to Sunderland
losing at home to Villa

HsJ

Burnley Away?

Edit: Agree with the above post.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It is funny how everybody is focussing on drawing away to Blackburn (13th in the league, 3 home defeats all season, average less than one goal conceded at home).

To me, the following results are all worse:

losing to relegated Burnley
conceding 3 goals on route to losing to Everton and Fulham
drawing at home to Sunderland
losing at home to Villa
Definitely.

If you want to win the title you should aim to at least draw with Chelsea at home and avoid defeat at Anfield. Two more results that are arguably worse than the Blackburn game.

Sir A1ex

Definitely.

If you want to win the title you should aim to at least draw with Chelsea at home and avoid defeat at Anfield. Two more results that are arguably worse than the Blackburn game.
I wouldn't include Chelsea, as they are a good team, and in both cases we were unfortunate to be robbed by the officials. But you can add Liverpool to the list.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Yea, there's no point letting your head drop too much over this one season.

We don't have to win the league every single season. In a way it would cheapen the achievement and wouldn't be good for the perception of the Premier League as the world's best league.

Coming back from blips like this are what makes the achievement all the more special. Four in a row was always a tall order. One in a row won't be though.

Julian Denny

I wouldn't include Chelsea, as they are a good team, and in both cases we were unfortunate to be robbed by the officials. But you can add Liverpool to the list.
I have a bit of an old fashioned view on this. If you can 't beat your main rival/s then you don't deserve to win it. Yes I know we won it last year after the terrible result against Pool at OT and having lost to them at Anfield, but the point is up to the Chelsea game we had the title in our own hands. Some were even saying Chelsea were finished at that point. We were one point ahead of them going into that game. Had we just drawn it we would have still been ahead but instead we found ourselves two points adrift.

Obviously throughout the season there are going to be strange results for all teams but when it came down to a game like that we needed to get a result.
Many will say we were robbed with the Drogba goal but eqaully Macheda's could have been ruled out for handball and Neville was fortunate not to concede a penalty. So the luck was evenly distributed. Perhaps Chelsea's elimination from the ECL gave them the edge - particularly as the match against them came directly after the gruelling Bayern first leg in which, crucially, Rooney was injured. However, by now, we should have had plenty of experience in coping with those situations. Whatever - we should have matched Chelsea in that game at the very least, seeing how it was crucial to our league chances. Instead for the most part they dictated proceedings.

That was were it was lost, I think.