If we get 4th or 3rd place, are we interested in Europa League?

Pughnichi

Be good experience for players to get their hands on a trophy. Winning breeds winning mentality.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
These type of threads always have to be one or the other, why can’t we have both, it’s highly likely we will achieve both. We are now favourites to make top 4 out of us Chelsea and Leicester, and are favourites to win the EL.

Kostov

Of course we are, I want Ole to win a trophy with this team he is trying to create. It will help him and the players in long term goals.

TheLord

The Europa League has become an important trophy these days, especially after they introduced the rule of automatic CL qualification for EL winners.
The chance of United winning the CL next year are pretty slim. EL is the priority this season.

Withnail

Absolutely.

The players and manager will be taking it seriously and will want to win it so of course I'm interested.

Also it's football in August, what else am I going to be doing?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
*Van Gaal voice* That's a stupid question!

Win everything. We are in no position to pick and choose and last time I checked top 4 isn't a trophy.

James Peril

Trophies create culture, it’s imperative that we go for everything that’s possible. Look at bloody Spurs and their hopeless and silly downplaying of the Europa League a few years ago, getting beat by some Danish minnows if I remember correctly. A club that hasn’t won a meaningful trophy since most of us were born started to believe in their own hype and went for the bigger stuff, ending up with absolutely nothing. I remember a few years ago when Fergie went a few years without a trophy and we won the League Cup or whatever, it lead to bigger things the following years. Look at Arsenal and Wenger, destroying the concept of the cups by playing 11 unknown crappy players and falling out of the cups every time. It started the downfall, it lead to culture being broken and players forgetting how to win.

Don’t be like Tottenham and Arsenal, play for the cups - all of them.

GBBQ

I get the point the OP is making, instead of a summer break we will go into another round of competitive fixtures and then straight into a PL season (where in recent years the margin for error has been practically zero). I don’t think you can completely disregard whether it’s more beneficial to be fresh or to have won a trophy. It’s at least up for a fair debate because by next May we will have been playing football for a year straight.

I would fall on the side of winning mentality being infectious and it would be good from the managers, players and fans (and the financial and marketing departments) for us to win it. Hopefully we bring in a couple of quality players to ease The workload.

AshRK

Don't get me wrong, I hope we win it, and if we can do it and rotate the squad, that's a bonus. But not that long ago, when we were regularly in the ECL, people were deriding the Europa League as a poor man's Champions League, and you can see a point of view that says, why risk wearing out (or getting injuries) to key players when the new season is likely to start very soon after the EL "mini tournament" and we're already back in the ECL anyway and the EL is just an alternate route to ECL?
But agree a trophy would be a good lift for the team and the supporters, and Ole seems up for it. Of course, if we weren't to start the new season well, I suspect some people would be pointing a finger at the EL.
We just have to win 3 games (4 if you include Lask) and the trophy is ours so the argument or the point of blaming europa for fatigue is silly. I bet more fans will be pissed if we were to be knocked out in the semis or lose the final.

I for one hope we win this trophy. Liverpool have overtaken us in trophy counts so any trophy is a bonus. Of course winning the league should be a priority.

Kaos

Of course we should, this shouldn't even be up for question. If the hypothetical choice was between winning the EL (and doing so doesnt give you a place in the CL) OR securing a top 4 finish then it would be more of a debate.

Last edited:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Play a weakened team against LASK on 5th August, whilst all the big hitters are on an almost two week break. Last league game is 26th July. FA Cup Final is 1st August if we get there and may throw a spanner in the works for the rest period.

Quarter finals are 10th/11th August, Semis on 16th August, Final on 21st August.

Its doable I say, and we should go for it. The quarters and semis are one off games in Germany too.
Judge and Woodward will be in Dortmund negotiating for Sancho while we're beating Roma. :devil:

Imagine if we got Rangers (and Gerrard) in the final.

Red00012

Not a lot of reaction in the Caf to the EL draw, and I wondered if there's a view that we're not interested in it if we qualify for ECL through the EPL, which is now likely unless our form dips in the remaining matches?

Is it worth the effort, as it's a trophy, or would we be better to risk going out early to protect our squad for a shortened summer break (and give youth and squad players some game time)?

Naturally, if we missed out on 4th or 3rd, the situation would be different.

On a separate note, if we play Copenhagen, we meet Guillermo Varela and Bryan Oviedo. And start practicing how to say Sotirios Papagiannopoulos (who is Swedish). If we play İstanbul Başakşehir, we meet up with Gaël Clichy, Demba Ba, Martin Škrtel and Robinho, plus a few others who've played in England.
Course it is it’s a European trophy , it’ll ease the pain of the league a little

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
A trophy is a trophy is a trophy. There are no trophies handed out for placing 4th.

Given the choice between finishing out of CL places but qualifying for CL through winning the Europa, or placing in CL places but finishing the season empty handed, I'd take the former. You get both. A trophy and CL qualification.

Skills

Snitch
Sure but just heavily rotate the team. Treat it like pre-season to keep the guys fresh for next season

Pav1878

We would be in with the top seeds in the CL if we won it. We would be in pot 2 if we just made it via the top 4.
Great point, forgot about that!

That's a great incentive and we want this squad to get used to winning things, so absolutely we want them to go for it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From my years on the caf, whenever we get to the second half of the season, there seems to be a section of fans who almost can’t wait for us to hurry up and lose or have nothing to play for so that they can get to see a bunch of teenagers make what will usually be first of <10 appearances for the club.

dove

Of course we are... it’s 3 games to win a trophy ffs (we can play our B team in the second leg against LASK). What is even the point of watching football if we are not interested in winning trophies...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
People are pretending the EL is free of cost, so to say, since its after the PL finished. I would argue that this is offset by the reduced break and preseason our players will have.
So while winning a trophy is always great, I dont think it's quite as black and white.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Nothing validates the direction of a team, especially a young one, like winning a trophy. It's often the first stepping stone onto greater things, so should be our priority. 2 cups AND top 4 would be a massive boost.

fps

Not fussed at all, new season starts so soon after much more important to get all the training and recovery done.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Absolutely! With City and Pool picking up trophies this season, even more so. Europa League is madly undervalued in the UK. It's the third most important trophy any European top-league club can win.

Fully Fledged

I get the point the OP is making, instead of a summer break we will go into another round of competitive fixtures and then straight into a PL season (where in recent years the margin for error has been practically zero). I don’t think you can completely disregard whether it’s more beneficial to be fresh or to have won a trophy. It’s at least up for a fair debate because by next May we will have been playing football for a year straight.

I would fall on the side of winning mentality being infectious and it would be good from the managers, players and fans (and the financial and marketing departments) for us to win it. Hopefully we bring in a couple of quality players to ease The workload.
Our players have had a 3 month break they should only need a couple of weeks away with their families, if that's allowed, then they can get straight back at it.

Alemar

Very strange topic. It is a trophy for the club. In 50 years, and in 100 years, everyone will still know that the team won a trophy in 2020. But 3rd or 4th place - who cares?

Stretender

Manchester United must always be in the business of winning trophies. Top 3 or top 4 is just a position. I am confident that we will win Europa Trophy. Whats the point of entering a competition if you don't aim to win it?

fps

Having said what I said earlier, it would be massive for Ole to lift a trophy this season, put a lot of doubts to bed and breed confidence. It’ll be interesting how he handles his squad as overplaying will lead to injuries.

cj_sparky

Which of the following Matic would rather answer;

"I'm here with Nemanja Matic. Nemanja looking back at the 19/20 season, considering all that went on. You must have been proud of the 4th placed finish?"

"I'm here with Nemanja Matic. Nemanja looking back at the 19/20 season, considering all that went on. 3rd place, the FA Cup and success in the Europa League. Just how did it feel to finally get your hand on some silverware with the club? Especially after the disappointment of a few years ago in the FA Cup final?"

peridigm

Yes. It's a trophy and would be a massive boost for United since we're basically going directly into the new season after the final.
Ole will rotate heavily for the match against Lask but after that I expect to see our strongest squad with maybe a couple of changes where we can afford to make changes depending on who we play in the next match.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hope so! Whilst being in the top four would be good, it's not silverware. If we can add silverware to a potential top four finish, then I think it should go down as a very good season for Ole.

CG1010

There is no chance we aren't playing our best outfield team (+ Romero) with perhaps some experimentation with Ole to see how 1-2 players gel with others. Most of our B team isn't good enough and probably are out of the club.

Having said that I don't give much importance to our 2016-17 win (beyond a place in CL) and probably won't care about this one either in a couple of years. Its basically won by one of the tier-2 teams in England/Spain and we don't intend to stay in that bracket anymore:devil: