If we sell Lukaku - who will our new CF signing be? Predictions in here...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That is scary reading, scary, scary, scary reading.

That is legtimately worse than half the teams in the PL.
Relax, it really isnt. It was the situation for the last 21 games of last season (over half a season with Ole), where we were 3rd in the league over that period and had an OK cup record. Added on a proper winger with James now. Adding in some of the most promising youth players we've had in ages, in positions of need. Adding in a very good right back that improves us in every aspect. Probably will at least add in a very good centerback that improves us massively on the ball and provides a consistent CB pairing for the first time in ages. Midfield we are worse off without Herrera but it's not like he's been a world beater for us.

So basically, we go into the season a more settled side, definitely more positivity, younger players progressing and probably a better squad all around because of the improvements in defence (even just AWB is going to make a big difference, but obviously if we sign Maguire as well). Chelsea, the 3rd placed team go into the season without their world class attacker who they relied on for the past 5 years at least, without their on loan striker, but adding in Pulisic who was a sub for Dortmund. Arsenal go into the season with basically no difference to last season since their owners are worse than ours. Oh and let's not forget that there was only 6 points separating 3rd and 6th by the end of the season, and even that a big part due to 5th and 6th not caring about their final 2 games because "the season was done". Spurs will likely improve in the league and have less focus on Europe, especially with an actual midfield now, so they're set for 3rd. But 4th? I'd say we're favourites if we sign Maguire.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Sanchez.
Rather invest the money in better midfield and CB.

El-Manos

According to many, he said not this summer.... big difference. Think he just didn't want to leave this summer more than anything.
Well, that’s what I meant? No as in this year. What’s potentially happening near year is currently irrelevant.

Smores

What do you suggest then?
Keeping a player who wants to leave and isn’t a part of the manager’s plans?
Sign some bang average PL “proven” forward like Wilson for 70m or something ridiculous like that?
Because the choice is what we've got or Wilson for 70m? The feck :houllier:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Amazed that people would happily go with Rashford (not prolific, also often picks up knocks/injuries) / Martial (inconsistent) / Greenwood (completely unproven and only 18) and Sanchez (so far, shit).

To me, it'd be crazy if we sold Lukaku and didn't buy some sort of forward.

EDIT - oh wait, this is a prediction, not a "want" thread... my bad.

Dozer

I'd love to see Mario Mandzukic sign, as the rumours are he's available.

Yes he's getting on in years but he's the type of player who keeps himself fit as a flea, runs himself into the ground, and has excellent physicality and technique to bring quick youngsters like James, Rashford and Martial into play.

Would be a great option for a couple of seasons imo. A great professional and a leader in the dressing room - and we don't have many of those.

kerryman

That is scary reading, scary, scary, scary reading.

That is legtimately worse than half the teams in the PL.
Absolutely scary, we might score 30 goals this season with that attack if we are lucky based on their stats last season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I’m really scared it will be Icardi.
Nah, Napoli's chairman has already offered Icardi's wife a role in his Christmas B movie, they'll do the deal eventually I reckon.

Hughie77

No-one, will come in? I think ole sees Greenwood stepping up , and maybe Martial playing more central.

That's my take on it, although I would like another striker in even if it's a aging one with experience, ie a Ben Yedder, someone like that, but transfer kitty will be all but gone if Maguire, and Bruno F comes in ?

Glazers will want lukaku money back in the pot?

pacifictheme

They are not CFs.

I wanted us to go for Haller, now it's too late I don't think we're signing a new striker. We might in January though
A man who went to west ham.

Ithink ole wants to play a different style to lukaku so although dybala is not a cf, he could fit in.

sp_107

Can’t we sell Alexis ? Even for free to someone like PSG/Milan/

Matic/Sanchez/Darmian/Rojo shouldn’t be at the club by start of the new season

And next year Jones/Young/Lingard/Perrera could be shipped out !

Too many average players at club, don’t understand why Ole is not showing them the door even we don’t make money on transfers or pay little bit of their salaries rather keeping them here paying full wages and not using them much

targetman

Piatek would be an amazing signing. But probably not realistic.

Wout Weghorst, if we want a big man alternative at center forward.

SER19

None, Greenwood promoted and sanchez used as sub cf

Norris Cole

Callum Wilson for me. Would probably be more willing to accept limited minutes and can do a job in this league

Last edited by a moderator:

Web of Bissaka

I think the plan is confirm to sell him, just a matter of time.

Once he's sold, I predict there'll be no new CF signing.

Ole's recent comment-praise about Sanchez may meant a subtle hints he'll be an option. Ole also praised Greenwood heavily promising him more games in interviews, so there's that. Ole often mentioned Martial can play striker as an option often in interviews. So we got 4 options for CF (all of 'em can play CF), plenty enough considering we have plenty more attackers (wings, forwards, SS, CAM) to use while the 4 themselves are flexible enough to play the other attacking roles. Using two CFs or 2 striker formations nowadays doesn't work best.

:drool:Having 4 Strikers is also a page in SAF's book which Ole himself may fancy.
  1. Rashford
  2. Martial
  3. Greenwood
  4. Sanchez

snowkarl

I think the plan is confirm to sell him, just a matter of time.

Once he's sold, I predict there'll be no new CF signing.

Ole's recent comment-praise about Sanchez may meant a subtle hints he'll be an option. Ole also praised Greenwood heavily promising him more games in interviews, so there's that. Ole often mentioned Martial can play striker as an option often in interviews. So we got 4 options for CF (all of 'em can play CF), plenty enough considering we have plenty more attackers (wings, forwards, SS, CAM) to use while the 4 themselves are flexible enough to play the other attacking roles. Using two CFs or 2 striker formations nowadays doesn't work best.

:drool:Having 4 Strikers is also a page in SAF's book which Ole himself may fancy.
  1. Rashford
  2. Martial
  3. Greenwood
  4. Sanchez
That's a list of good striking options... for Leicester!

This is Manchester United (as Ole sure loves to point out...) and we should be striving to be a lot better than this. Not one of them is legitimately proven at centre forward and it is a gigantic risk to go into a new, VERY CRUCIAL, season with this list and no additions.

Rashford is one of our favorite players of course, but how do we rely on him as our only real option? Martial hasn't played sole CF like - ever - and he/Green/Sanchez should be considered reserve options only.

I know a lot of people have given up on Lukaku but he's a very proven and versatile forward and even though Rashford might be preferred as a starter next year, we can't just bet all on red. Would be a huge mistake to sell Lukaku without at least trying to get another option in.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Timo Werner.

- Perfect age (23)
- Can pretty much play anywhere in the attack
- Only 1 year left on his deal with RB Leipzig
- Pace is his strenght, would suit Ole’s system

Having Rashford, Greenwood, Sanchez, Martial, James and Werner would be enough for the upcoming season. Next summer add Sancho and get rid of Alexis and Martial if he does not step up. Attack sorted for 10 years.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm thinking we won't sign one. We'll get Bruno Fernandes instead and ask Martial, Sanchez, and Greenwood to fill in at centre forward whenever Rashford isn't playing.

CM

I don't think we need a direct replacement for Lukaku. Rashford will take on the mantle as the main centre forward and players like Sanchez, Greenwood and Martial can all deputise there too.

If we do sign another forward it should be a right winger so we can distribute the goals throughout the team and bring some balance back to our play but that doesn't look imminent either.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Timo Werner.

- Perfect age (23)
- Can pretty much play anywhere in the attack
- Only 1 year left on his deal with RB Leipzig
- Pace is his strenght, would suit Ole’s system

Having Rashford, Greenwood, Sanchez, Martial, James and Werner would be enough for the upcoming season. Next summer add Sancho and get rid of Alexis and Martial if he does not step up. Attack sorted for 10 years.
I like this idea. It's certainly better than than doing nothing while Lukaku waiting for his deal to Serie A.

El Zoido

Nobody. We’ll faff around and fail to sign anyone and Ole will spend the next month in pressers talking up Rashford and Greenwood. Also probably see Sanchez up top for a while.

Red Royal

We sell Lukaku and announce Harry and Vardy together fro £120M. Ed thinks he has done top business half the caf inplodes im anger the other half think we will win the lesgue, we actually end up 6th 1 position ahead of Leicester and the whole cycle goes on...

Oh when will this end #Glazersout

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Piatek would be an amazing signing. But probably not realistic.
Not realistic because we, as per usual, overslept the moment to get him. He was dirty cheap compared to the prices you see now. Guess we still counted on our current options..

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm thinking we won't sign one. We'll get Bruno Fernandes instead and ask Martial, Sanchez, and Greenwood to fill in at centre forward whenever Rashford isn't playing.
Yep this is what'll likely happen, maybe without the Bruno Fernandez bit, those praying for Lukaku to go so we get someone better in through the door are going to be disappointed.

Ed will be gushing over how well he did to get the Lukaku money back however, so it's not all
bad news.