If you could pick one injury plagued player to replay their entire career completely injury free, for your team, who are you taking?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Marco Van Basten injury free until his late 30s would be up there among the goats

Pughnichi

Saha

there’s quite a few ex pros that talk him up as their most difficult opponent…either when playing at other clubs…or in training.

vida and Rio…and Gary have all said he was an absolute monster of a player. Strong. Quick. Great in the air. Finish with both feet.

G4stars

Roberto Baggio, the divine ponytail. Played most of his career only half-fit

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ronaldo.

I might have gone for Just Fontaine, but if he actually did play for us in the 50s/60s and was injury free would I have really cared considering I wasn't born?

Rockets Redglare

Saha

there’s quite a few ex pros that talk him up as their most difficult opponent…either when playing at other clubs…or in training.

vida and Rio…and Gary have all said he was an absolute monster of a player. Strong. Quick. Great in the air. Finish with both feet.
Great shout, I remember the first time I saw him properly was for Fulham against when he scored two goals including a beautiful lob and thought he looked a serious talent.

He’d have gone down as a real United great if not for the injuries IMO.

Marwood

Going outside the obvious candidates, in fact going for quite the obscure, I really would have liked to see Timothy Fosu Mensah have a full career.

I know some won't get it but that lad was a hell of an athlete. Pace, strength and agility all at the same time. A rare kind.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The only two things holding Saha back was his injury issues and his composure and lack of being more clinical Infront of goal.
He would miss the most easiest of chances.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Shearer and Keane are solid shouts. Both had injuries that changed who they were as players, especially Shearer.

Two world class players that had big crucial ligament injuries that fully altered how they played.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Chris Cohen - The most decent nicest man you could ever meet. Did his Cruciate and was out for a year. Came back and did it again. Fought back again and did his groin. On his 300th appearance, scored the goal against Ipswich that kept us in the Champ. Finally retired in 2018, club Captain, after 10 years with us.

One of the few bright lights in our league one / dodging relegation from the champ days.

Last edited:

PSV

Frpm the ones not mentioned - Wilshere probably.

hobbers

Saha

Also imagine if Owen avoided those injuries that ruined his pace and agility

Eric_the_Red99

Surprised nobody has mentioned Owen Hargreaves. He was already a crock when he came to us, and we only really got one, injury-hampered season out of him, but he played a key role in the ECL campaign. We might have won more if he'd only had knees that actually worked. And he's actually just the sort of midfield beast we could really do with now.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Fat Ronaldo feeding off crosses from Darren Anderton :drool:

Probably Hargreaves though for United in my lifetime. I'm a bit young for Robbo and Phil Jones, Giggs, Rio at least had more than one season where they were fit the majority of the time. We won the league and CL the one season where Hargreaves was (mostly) fit!

ArjenIsM3

Robben (not least because he's my namesake and also Dutch :)). He'd have locked down our right flank for 15 years. Even though everybody would know what he was going to do (cut in and shoot) they couldn't stop him anyway.

Unam333

Possibly Arjen Robben and Brazilian Ronaldo. One is already a legend in the game and Robben seems like a really level-headed and nice bloke. They would transform our team.

Steve Bruce

United players

Ruud Van Nistlerooy. I'd loved to see how good he would have been if he didn't get the big injury before signing for united.

Hargreaves
Ronny Johnson
Martial
Luke shaw

Non united

Gazza
Wilshere
R9
Ledley King

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Robbie Fowler for me. Never seen anyone like him in his injury free prime.

Oranges038

Shearer and Keane are solid shouts. Both had injuries that changed who they were as players, especially Shearer.

Two world class players that had big crucial ligament injuries that fully altered how they played.
Keane was equally as good if not better after his knee injury, it was that injury that made him stop drinking and fecking about and actually start looking after himself properly.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Robben, Thiago or Deisler.

msjmohd83

Arjen Robben, already had a great career and achievements with injuries.

nomdeplume1325

My votes would be:
  • Torres
  • Ronaldo 9
  • Rooney (I don’t think he quit his the heights after the metatarsal injury)
  • Bale

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ronaldo. Although he still managed to become goat despite all his injuries.:wenger:

Also; Alen Bokšić.

Nico87

He’s not of the had anywhere near the success of players mentioned but do you think Diaby at Arsenal could have become world class if he stayed fit?

Nicoteiro

my striker partnership would be R9 - Agüero with Neymar coming from behind.