Ighalo loan deal extended till Jan 31st 2021

acnumber9

He’s just a body. He actually looks in worse shape now than he did when he first came back too.

Lee565

Why, ever since the return of football it has comes across like ole doesn't trust him which is not what we need from a back up striker, surely there must be a better striker out there during this transfer window that we can sign either on the cheap, on loan or for free?

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Giving that he was used and performed quite effectivley before lockdown its a bit weird that he hasnt been seen since really.

-Supreme-

It's clear that Ole didn't trust him after the restart, could be due to fitness as with his age he needed mins on the pitch to build up his match fitness but as we we were in the business end of the season we simply had to play Martial throughout.

His loan would be unlikely to be extended even if he does well from now until January as his club wouldn't allow this to happen unless we pay stupid money for another extension.

Personally, getting a new striker is just as important as bringing in a RW, ACM, CB and LB.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's clear that Ole didn't trust him after the restart, could be due to fitness as with his age he needed mins on the pitch to build up his match fitness but as we we were in the business end of the season we simply had to play Martial throughout.

His loan would be unlikely to be extended even if he does well from now until January as his club wouldn't allow this to happen unless we pay stupid money for another extension.

Personally, getting a new striker is just as important as bringing in a RW, ACM, CB and LB.
He was bought to play against the fodder so he'll be valuable in those early League and FA Cup ties, not many fodder games beyond Jan 31st, CF can wait till next summer

Dr Fink

He’s a good Plan B to have on the bench. How else do we rotate the front three? We need to strengthen here in the medium term.

Ranchero

With Luis Suarez looking for an escape from Real Madrid, and Cavani floating around, those are the kind of players we should look at as part of our rotating front three. Ighalo? Sadly the proof of the pudding is in the watching. Quite why he got an extension to his loan spell when he has hardly set the world alight is beyond me.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
With Luis Suarez looking for an escape from Real Madrid, and Cavani floating around, those are the kind of players we should look at as part of our rotating front three. Ighalo? Sadly the proof of the pudding is in the watching. Quite why he got an extension to his loan spell when he has hardly set the world alight is beyond me.
Because he was already here, he proved he could do a job, and he' scored more than we expected him to. He was extended over the uncertainty of the situation we are in. Deservedly so.

Member 90887

Right, Suarez...

And Cavani ? We just Offloaded Sanchez, we do not want another player with extremly high wages.

So not many options available for a good price. And i'm not sure the club wants to buy a 20/30 mil striker just to have another body in the squad that wouldn't be systematically as good or better than Ighalo. It makes sens to keep Ighalo who costs us almost nothing.

He was good when he played. I'm not sure what you are expecting from a back up striker or which games you were watching.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Right, Suarez...

And Cavani ? We just Offloaded Sanchez, we do not want another player with extremly high wages.

So not many options available for a good price. And i'm not sure the club wants to buy a 20/30 mil striker just to have another body in the squad that wouldn't be systematically as good or better than Ighalo. It makes sens to keep Ighalo who costs us almost nothing.

He was good when he played. I'm not sure what you are expecting from a back up striker or which games you were watching.
He hasn’t cost us almost nothing at all. We’ve paid a £6m loan fee on top of his £120-130k wages. Plus what we paid for the initial loan. All in all he’ll cost almost £15m to have him for 1 year. That’s not nothing at all, it’s a huge outlay on a massively average at best player.

Cavani won’t even cost that much for a year.

I expect a backup striker to be good enough that the manager is actually willing to even play him.

Luis Suarez - at United? Are you bloody serious?

Cavani will cost a fortune, and wherever he goes, as with Suarez will want to be a first team player.

That’s the difference with Igahalo, he’s a squad player, that’s what he was brought to so, and he’s done it well. I’d have liked to have seen him play more after lockdown, but he did very well beforehand.

Formally top class players like the two you have mentioned are likely to just be money pits, milking it off of one last big contract. No thanks, not what we want at all.

Zen86

Shows what kind of fan you are :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's weird, he came in after not playing for a few months while everyone else was match fit, yet did very well. Then when he came in on a level playing field to everyone else, he looked unfit. Strange one.

He's not bad as a third choice emergency striker, which is what he appears to be assuming Rashford/Greenwood are the defacto second choice striker.

First of all, Suarez does not, nor has he ever, play(ed) for Real Madrid. Getting a player like Suarez or Cavani as backup doesn't really make financial sense. Both would probably ask for up to £400k a week and are way past their prime. In fact Suarez is on a reported £600k a week at Barca, and they are now desperate to get him off their books. Both are of course much much better players than Ighalo, but neither really make sense, unless we intend to move Martial out wide and use one as out talisman. I would much rather use that potential wage money on Sancho, Van de Beek and a CB, rather than 30something year old backup striker using us for one last payday. No thanks. Ighalo barely plays, if we get Sancho, we can move Greenwood into the middle whenever Martial gets injured. Ighalo is literally a league cup/last resort.

Last edited:

stevoc

Suarez are you for real?

Setting aside the fact he would want a fairly big wage. Also that he’s on a steep decline. Plus an ex Liverpool player.

More important than all that he’s a massive Twat of the highest order.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Can't believe he didn't get at least 20 mins against Seville.

Rashford should have come off.

Ole fights to get this guy only to not play him. Weird.

fezzerUTD

He was bought to play against the fodder so he'll be valuable in those early League and FA Cup ties, not many fodder games beyond Jan 31st, CF can wait till next summer
FA Cup starts in January for epl sides so he wont get much game time at all unless we have a league cup run.

Luke1995

Do we really need to sign another striker if Ighalo leaves after the loan expires ? I think we can count on Greenwood to have an even better season, the next one.

Red_toad

Do we really need to sign another striker if Ighalo leaves after the loan expires ? I think we can count on Greenwood to have an even better season, the next one.
When you look at our options for the 3 attacking forward places, it's Greenwood, Rasford, Martial, James and Ighalo. Are you suggesting we can play Janury to June with only 4 players? I'd say we certainly require further players, ideally 6 viable options. Greenwood isn't ready to be the main man and a long term injury to Martial would be a massive issue for the squad to deal with.

big rons sovereign

Sign Suarez? We might as well go shit on Paddy's doorstep whilst we're at it.

RonaldoVII

When you look at our options for the 3 attacking forward places, it's Greenwood, Rasford, Martial, James and Ighalo. Are you suggesting we can play Janury to June with only 4 players? I'd say we certainly require further players, ideally 6 viable options. Greenwood isn't ready to be the main man and a long term injury to Martial would be a massive issue for the squad to deal with.
The idea is we're getting a RW. So to add a striker to that mix would give us 5 players into 3. It depends who arrives on the wing but Sancho would be enough to keep it at 4 I think, with Ighalo backup to them.

Red_toad

The idea is we're getting a RW. So to add a striker to that mix would give us 5 players into 3. It depends who arrives on the wing but Sancho would be enough to keep it at 4 I think, with Ighalo backup to them.
The idea isn't a fact, it's a possibility that may or may not happen. I can look at the squad as it is now, none of us know whom else United will sign, if Ighalo leaves then he'd 100% need replacing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Another Luis Suarez at real. I’ll admit I had a quick google :wenger:

We do need an aggressive striker who offers something different to tony. I reckon we will keep looking at cheap/stop gap options until Haalands release clause comes into play. 65 million I think I heard it was? If it is It’s not that bad although Dortmund have probably signed him up to a different deal on the sly in the meantime!

RonaldoVII

The idea isn't a fact, it's a possibility that may or may not happen. I can look at the squad as it is now, none of us know whom else United will sign, if Ighalo leaves then he'd 100% need replacing.
Replacing him with Sancho would be sufficient in my view but, as you say, nobody really knows what is happening there.

Luke1995

It's easier to promote a striker from the academy than to buy one. Play Greenwood, and put another kid on the bench. If Mason scores goals, he's ready to me. Remember Busby ''if you're good enough you're old enough''

Rashford has been stepping up aswell, so if Martial gets injured, the goals will keep coming anyway. But, if you really wants a new signing... word on the street is Higuain is leaving Juventus.

Zen86

It's easier to promote a striker from the academy than to buy one. Play Greenwood, and put another kid on the bench. If Mason scores goals, he's ready to me. Remember Busby ''if you're good enough you're old enough''

Rashford has been stepping up aswell, so if Martial gets injured, the goals will keep coming anyway. But, if you really wants a new signing... word on the street is Higuain is leaving Juventus.
I’m all for home grown talent and playing the kids, but going into the new season with the hope that one of the youth players will make the step up is asking for trouble.

We need another attacker even if it’s only for backup. At best the main 3 will need a rest, at worst we would have 2 or more out injured for significant periods.

Luke1995

I’m all for home grown talent and playing the kids, but going into the new season with the hope that one of the youth players will make the step up is asking for trouble.

We need another attacker even if it’s only for backup. At best the main 3 will need a rest, at worst we would have 2 or more out injured for significant periods.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think Nketiah did the step up at Arsenal and Tommy Abraham at Chelsea. Why it would be harder to happen here ?

Zen86

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think Nketiah did the step up at Arsenal and Tommy Abraham at Chelsea. Why it would be harder to happen here ?
Abraham has been around for a while so I wouldn’t really class him as a young player breaking through, but that’s besides the point. You shouldn’t gamble on ‘someone’ stepping up, as most of the time they won’t.

Luke1995

Abraham has been around for a while so I wouldn’t really class him as a young player breaking through, but that’s besides the point. You shouldn’t gamble on ‘someone’ stepping up, as most of the time they won’t.
Sure. Unless we had a really really good academy like La Masia used to be... every once in a while they would have somewhat of a Messi or a Fabregas appearing.

Member 113277

Suarez are you for real?

Setting aside the fact he would want a fairly big wage. Also that he’s on a steep decline. Plus an ex Liverpool player.

More important than all that he’s a massive Twat of the highest order.
and a tendency to bite people!

romufc

We do not need another backup striker. We need a RW, which in turn will mean we will have

Rashford, Martial, New RW, Greenwood, Ighalo, Lingard, James.

We can easily rotate because with those players.

Zen86

We do not need another backup striker. We need a RW, which in turn will mean we will have

Rashford, Martial, New RW, Greenwood, Ighalo, Lingard, James.

We can easily rotate because with those players.
I was talking more about a forward rather than an all out striker, someone who could play across the front three and rotate.

romufc

I was talking more about a forward rather than an all out striker, someone who could play across the front three and rotate.
Oh yes, then I am in total agreement. Although, I do think we need a starting RW rather than a backup. Greenwood is still not ready to play every game consistently for us.

Rashford as we know, has his ups and downs during a season.

Red Comet

Sure. Unless we had a really really good academy like La Masia used to be... every once in a while they would have somewhat of a Messi or a Fabregas appearing.
I don't think our academy is inferior to La Masia. They don't have any strong graduates recently after that bumper batch of Ineista, Xavi, Messi, Busquets and Pique. For the last decade, only Sergi Roberto has made it to their first team, though you can say that the likes of Thiago has been really successful elsewhere, while Adama Traore can potentially become a top player.

Likewise we had our bumper batch in the class of 92, while first teamers such as Pogba, Rashford, McTominator, Williams, Lingard :rolleyes:, Greenwood are also graduates from our academy. Michael Keane , Dwight McNeil and Norwood are players from our academy that has become important players to their club. If things goes well Henderson will eventually replace De Gea, and the likes of Laird, Tuanzebe, Mengi, James, Galbraith, Levitt making the step up. As for Mejbri and Hoogewerf, it might be debatable since we brought them in relatively late; but if we consider Pogba as our graduate then Mejbri and Hoogewerf should be considered the same if they make it to the first team eventually.

Luke1995

I don't think our academy is inferior to La Masia. They don't have any strong graduates recently after that bumper batch of Ineista, Xavi, Messi, Busquets and Pique. For the last decade, only Sergi Roberto has made it to their first team, though you can say that the likes of Thiago has been really successful elsewhere, while Adama Traore can potentially become a top player.

Likewise we had our bumper batch in the class of 92, while first teamers such as Pogba, Rashford, McTominator, Williams, Lingard :rolleyes:, Greenwood are also graduates from our academy. Michael Keane , Dwight McNeil and Norwood are players from our academy that has become important players to their club. If things goes well Henderson will eventually replace De Gea, and the likes of Laird, Tuanzebe, Mengi, James, Galbraith, Levitt making the step up. As for Mejbri and Hoogewerf, it might be debatable since we brought them in relatively late; but if we consider Pogba as our graduate then Mejbri and Hoogewerf should be considered the same if they make it to the first team eventually.
Speaking of Michael Keane, why did he end up at Everton and not here ? I know this isn't the right thread, but feel like he would improve our defence. As for the rest, nothing to disagree. It's hard for any academy to maintain sustained level of talent production every year.